ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mixing Little Queenie for Ya Ya's - January 1970
Stand Still from "Gimme Shelter"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ron Wood Booze Blurb Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
03-01-04 05:36 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
I don't know how credible this news source is but heres what they wrote.....

Ronnie back on the bottle
By Nicole Lampert, Showbusiness Editor, Daily Mail

Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood is feared to have succumbed again to the drink habit doctors have warned could kill him.
Two years after promising to give up alcohol, he is said to be drinking to excess again and 'still acting like a party animal'.

Friends fear the relapse could break up Wood's 19-year marriage to Jo.

Mick Jagger is believed to be so concerned that he has begged the guitarist to go back into a rehabilitation clinic.

'Everyone is very, very worried about him,' said a source close to the band last night.

'He is fine when he is on tour, as there are a lot of people watching over him to make sure he doesn't drink. But when he comes out, he goes on huge benders.

'He thinks it is OK because he is not drinking solidly.

'It is putting a lot of pressure on his marriage to Jo. They nearly split up a few years ago because of it. She has to constantly row with him to stop him drinking. She is the only reason he is still alive.'

Wood's wife has spoken in the past about how his drinking affected her. 'When Ronnie was drinking, it was an absolute nightmare,' she said. 'I was at the end of my tether, wondering how much more I could take. It was every day, all night long, every night.

'Socially, everybody loved him. Ronnie was great. But when he got back home, he was horrible.'

Wood, 56, first acknowledged his problem in June 2000 when he went to the Priory Hospital in South-West London.

Doctors there told him that if he carried on drinking the way he was, he could be dead within six months.

When he came out, he swore he would reform. He began consuming alcohol-free beer and demolished the pub he had had built in the garden of his mansion in County Kildare.

'I thought I had better nip it in the bud,' he said at the time. 'I've got a good cellar and I won't get rid of that. I'll have a glass of wine occasionally, but I'll have it for the taste, not to get drunk.'

Within a few weeks, however, he was being seen at showbusiness parties clearly the worse for wear.

A second spell in rehab followed, in April 2002, after Jo gave him an ultimatum.

This time, he tried the famous Cottonwood de Tucson clinic in Arizona - where patients have included Danniella Westbrook, Geri Halliwell, Paul Gascoigne and Naomi Campbell.

When he came out, he admitted he would have to avoid the bottle altogether.

'Before, I convinced myself I'd be all right with a glass of wine, but it turned out to be a bottle of wine, which turned into two bottles and three bottles and then two bottles of vodka,' he admitted. 'I thought I was handling it.'

He swore that this time he would stay clean.

But since the Stones ended their world tour in October, there have been new fears for Wood.

He was spotted downing a bottle of champagne at Kate Moss's 30th birthday party last month.

The source admitted they were talking to the Daily Mail in an effort to make Wood see sense. 'He needs to know in black and white that what he is doing is wrong,' said the source.

'It is devastating for all of us because we can see this man we love destroying himself.'

During his hell-raising days, Wood would regularly spend nights drinking with celebrity friends including actor John Hurt, Rod Stewart and snooker player Ronnie O'Sullivan.

He turned to alcohol after beating an addiction to cocaine.

At one point, he was spending �12,000 a week on the drug and would snort it through cardboard lavatory roll tubes.

After a 1975 concert, Wood discovered that the cocaine had eaten through his septum when part of his nose fell off.

03-01-04 06:21 AM
Moonisup well I know that he wasn't completly sober at some dates during the Euro-tour, I don't know if that was booze or something else.

Rik
03-01-04 08:56 AM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
After a 1975 concert, Wood discovered that the cocaine had eaten through his septum when part of his nose fell off.

I wonder if his dick exploded like Chuck Negron's?

03-01-04 09:44 AM
Zeeta
quote:

He turned to alcohol after beating an addiction to cocaine.

I thought he turned back to coke this tour after "beating" booze!!!

Snorting through cardboard lavatory roll tubes. !!!

That is seriously cool!

Well I think he is better when WET so I am chuffed.

That said The Daily Mail is possibly the WORST paper in britain and cannot be trusted.

03-01-04 09:46 AM
nankerphelge I got a kick outta the toilet tissue rolls too!

Ain't a person on this board that wouldn't have their nose fall rite off if theys snortin' thru a tube that big!!!

Ronnie seems a bit more elegant in his usage tho -- didn't he have a nice little gold tube on a chain around his neck circa '78. The Some Girls photo shoot of the band shows it nicely!

Rolling Stones guitarist: most dangerous job in the world.
[Edited by nankerphelge]
03-01-04 09:48 AM
Navin Apparently, even Mick Taylor was said to have had the same problem with the nasal septum being reconstructed surgically after much cocaine abuse.
03-01-04 09:53 AM
Zeeta Actual photo taken backstage in Ronnie's trailer;

Pass me the loo roll Keith! I gots to get a hit!
03-01-04 10:19 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
At one point, he was spending �12,000 a week on the drug and would snort it through cardboard lavatory roll tubes.

When I first posted this I had thoughts of deleting out these 2 lines as I was kind of at a loss as to why they had to add that...apart from gossip...but I guess the Mail is gossip mag? I would think snorting through those things would be a phyical impossibility, unless one has specially made to order nostrils like Jacko. Anyway, I hope Woody gets through it. Some of us know what its like, unfortunately.
03-01-04 10:30 AM
jpenn11 Kate Moss is 30?
03-01-04 11:13 AM
Hannalee Any story in the Daily Mail should be deemed untrue until verified by at least seven independent witnesses. Especially one with all those is said; is feared; is believed weasellings. Tchah! and even Pah!

03-01-04 11:20 AM
mac_daddy >>>> At one point, he was spending �12,000 a week on the drug and would snort it through cardboard lavatory roll tube

whoa! I am with Zeeta - that is pretty impressive...
03-01-04 11:21 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Hannalee wrote:
Any story in the Daily Mail should be deemed untrue until verified by at least seven independent witnesses.

Well, the same thing could be said, I suppose, about most major media nowadays, the distinction between fantasy and reality is rather blurred.
03-01-04 12:24 PM
Lazy Bones Sorry boys, but I can't say that I find your comments very amusing. There's nothing impressive about an out-of-control drug habit!

Should this be true, I hope he can pull through.
03-01-04 12:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Sorry boys, but I can't say that I find your comments very amusing. There's nothing impressive about an out-of-control drug habit!

Little Bit O' Soul

Now when you're feelin' low and the fish won't bite
You need a little bit o' soul to put you right

You gotta make like you wanna kneel and pray
And then a little bit o' soul will come your way

Now when your girl is gone and you're broke in two
You need a little bit o' soul to see it through

And when you raise the roof with your rock 'n' roll
You'll get a lot more kicks with a little bit o' soul

And when your party falls 'cause there's nobody groovin'
A little bit of soul and it really starts movin', yeah

And when you're in a mess and you feel like cryin'
Just remember this little song of mine

And as you go through life tryin' to reach your goal
Just remember what I said about a little bit o' soul

A little bit o' soul, yeah (a little bit o' soul)

03-01-04 12:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Sorry boys, but I can't say that I find your comments very amusing. There's nothing impressive about an out-of-control drug habit!

Oh yeah there is. Ask Keith. He's very proud of it.
03-01-04 12:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:

About as real as Johnny Depp's pirate. But you know its not real. What IS real though is the Pain. I mean it's all bullshit...really.
03-01-04 12:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:

About as real as Johnny Depp's pirate. But you know its not real. What IS real though is the Pain. I mean it's all bullshit...really.
03-01-04 01:03 PM
Monkey Woman Well, we are on a Stones board, after all. And not any board but the Funhouse! It's not what you laugh about, it's who you laugh with...

But I'd say Keith's and Ronnie's drug stories can be both funny and sad, often at the same time. Stanley Booth (*) tells in his biography of Keith that Ronnie went on snorting coke with a damaged nose in the '70s, using a curved glass tube to bypass the hole in the septum...

I have doubts about the accuracy of any report in a tabloid, but let's just say that if it's true, I hope Ronnie gets his shit together and cleans up for good. Hey, if some of band's friends/associates are checking this board, please let them pass on the message to Ronnie: we love you better sober and healthy! We love you, period. So please, listen to your family and friends, not to the bottle. We hope to see you back on record and/or tour soon.

(*) Author of The True Adventures Of The Rolling Stones about the 1969 tour and Keith: Standing In The Shadow.
03-01-04 01:12 PM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
Kate Moss is 30?

Yeah there was photo of Ronnie at her party in a recent issue of RS.
03-01-04 01:16 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

You are correct, LB - there is nothing impressive about an out of control habit..

I should have phrased it better. I was really just referring to the level of decadence, more so than to the actual amount ingested. I happen to think it (the toilet paper roll story) is an exaggereation to begin with, so alot of it should be taken with a grain of salt. This whole thread seems to take on an exaggereated tone (a la "Cheech and Chong" - which I do find humorous)...

I will say, that I find that, as stated by the article, outing a loved one, close associate, or anybody (for that matter) in a tabloid is quite a low form of human behavior. I hardly think that it ever motivated by conecrn for the one in trouble; rather moves like this are typically done for self-gain. Let me put it this way, if there is a thread that seriously discusses the personal dealings of a band member, I might read it, but I certainly never chime in, as I don't feel it is my place to do so. But a copied article from a tabloid fishwrap hardly qualities as a quality discussion starter...

If however, my comments in an above post are offensive to any of you, I do apologize.
03-01-04 01:32 PM
Martha Ronnie, you are in my prayers. If you truly want to get sober and stay sober go to AA, that is the best place and has had the most success with treating alcoholism, which is a spiritual disease. I pray you choose to live, but that choice is in your hands. No one can do this for you. You must want to and choose to do it for yourself.

Jo, Al-Anon is the Program to help you through this no matter what Ronnie chooses to do. You cannot keep him from drinking nor does anything you do or don't do makes him drink. This is a disease that takes absolutely NO prisoners. I hope you get support for yourself. There are on-line meetings available through Al-Anon's website, where you can keep your anonymity intact.
Al-Anon/Alateen website: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org

I send prayers of understanding (from my own personal experience with this horrible disease as it is in my family and my husband's) to you both, to your family and friends.

There is only thing that can hold anyone back from getting sober and staying in remission from alcoholism (or any addicition or being a friend or family member of an addicited loved one) and that is the inablity to be completely honest with oneself. Honesty is the life-line. I pray you find your life-line before it is too late.

May you be blessed. Many, many people care and wish you health and happiness. You only have to stay sober one day (minute) at a time.

with serenity and peace,
Martha
03-01-04 02:02 PM
Joey " Wood, 56, first acknowledged his problem in June 2000 when he went to the Priory Hospital in South-West London. "

Priory Pussy !

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ the Fly !
03-01-04 02:16 PM
nankerphelge Now Joey.

Rehab is not for pussies!

SARS is for pussies!

Rehab is for quitters!!
03-01-04 02:21 PM
sirmoonie Pussy is for drinkers!
03-01-04 02:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Rehab is for quitters!!

[/quote]

And dead people.
03-01-04 02:29 PM
Joey

I for one see a " May Pang " in Ronnie's Future .

Developing ................................

Shiver ....................................

" It's the new Brandy Alexander Club Ronnie ! "

Shecky !
03-01-04 03:18 PM
BILL PERKS WASNT MARTHA BANNED OR QUIT OR SUMMINK?OPEN LETTERS TO THE WOOD FAMILY INDEED.
03-01-04 03:27 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
WASNT MARTHA BANNED OR QUIT OR SUMMINK?OPEN LETTERS TO THE WOOD FAMILY INDEED.

Hey, lay off, man.

As for the article, it's just a tabloid - it's like the National Enquirer reporting about "Oprah's Latest Eating Binge!" for those of us States-side. I've gotten used to articles like this about the Stones, I used to freak out whenever somebody posted the latest "Keith is back on smack!" or "Charlie's quitting!" or "Ronnie's out of the band!" story. The press decides it wants to go after some rockers - Townshend's clear, Mick's old news, Keith is up for an Oscar and currently untouchable... Either McCartney or Wood, and McCartney's got a kid and has been fighting hard with the tabloids. Pick on Ronnie for awhile! It seems to be a nice trend (see "Ronnie loses his shit!" about the art gallery), just like the stories about Mick that went around last year.

-tSYX --- Don't stop...
03-01-04 03:42 PM
Zeeta Ronnie is a legend he can handle a few beers and a few rolls of coke!

You can't be taking this shit seriously!?!? As I already said for the non-Brits, the Mail is what usually wraps around Ronnie's choice of coke snorting tubes! It is real bullshit eg they ran the front page headline 2 weeks ago of "Bin Laden Caught" 'nuff said.

Don't try and preach, if Ronnie fuckin WANTS to get loaded and have a good time, then let the crazy bastard! I aint gonna think worse of him!

Probrably was gutted at missing out on unprompted piss ups with mates and thought - fuck it!
03-01-04 03:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

Hey, lay off, man.

As for the article, it's just a tabloid - it's like the National Enquirer reporting about "Oprah's Latest Eating Binge!" for those of us States-side.
-tSYX --- Don't stop...

Well I think what one must understand about tabloid journalism is that the lie, truth and opininion are mixed. It actually works the same way with even the mainstream press. Sometimes even the tabloids are more honest.
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH