ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mixing Little Queenie for Ya Ya's - January 1970
Stand Still from "Gimme Shelter"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: URGE OVERKILL are back Return to archive
02-29-04 07:37 AM
exile URGE OVERKILL broke up about 8 or 9 years ago due to drug addictions so I heard apparently back touring

http://www.urgeoverkill.com/

I always thought they were GREAT
you lucky ones in the US should go out catch a show and let us know how they are.

If you want to hear a Fucking great rock and Roll RIFF listen to "Bottle of Fur" from SATURATION album
02-29-04 11:31 AM
gotdablouse I really liked "Exit the Dragon" from 1995 but it sold poorly, especially after the buzz created around UO with the inclusion of the old "Girl You'll be a Woman Soon" Neil Diamond song in Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" and that pretty much killed the band. The guy called "Kato" left I think.
02-29-04 12:45 PM
polksalad69 Local band here. Think they already played their hometown gig which I did not go to. They had some great songs but the rest weren't so good. Steve Albini said they and Smashing Pumpkins were their generation's Styx and Kansas.
02-29-04 06:13 PM
gotdablouse Isn't Steve Albini the guy who "produced" the Page & Plant comeback CD...too bad he forgot to include Jimmy Page's guitar in the mix! I think that this blunder no longer entitles hum to wise-cracking ;-)

Any links to the reviews of that show, are you referring to new songs or old ones?
02-29-04 06:41 PM
polksalad69
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Isn't Steve Albini the guy who "produced" the Page & Plant comeback CD...too bad he forgot to include Jimmy Page's guitar in the mix! I think that this blunder no longer entitles hum to wise-cracking ;-)

Any links to the reviews of that show, are you referring to new songs or old ones?

I believe you are correct about Albini. He's notorious for being an ass.

Gonna look if there was anything in the major local media about Urge Overkill.
02-29-04 06:44 PM
PolkSalad Chicago Sun-Times
February 13, 2004

Column: LIVE

THE URGE TO DO IT AGAIN
Roeser tells why it took a decade to reunite

Author: Jim DeRogatis
Section: News
Page: 5; nc

Article Text:

Urge Overkill, The sights

*10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

*Double Door, 1572 N. Milwaukee

*Tickets, $25 (Saturday sold out)

*(773) 489-3160

The tale was made for VH1's "Behind the Music" or "Bands Reunited." Two young men from Minnesota meet at Northwestern University and form an indie-rock band that's based on a cartoonish superstar mythology that almost comes true when, after several years of slugging it out in clubland and countless feuds with their doubters, they're hailed as Chicago's Next Great Contender in the alternative-rock championship.

They come close to winning the title bout with a critically hailed (though commercially disappointing) major-label debut and a Neil Diamond cover on the soundtrack for "Pulp Fiction." But they begin to believe their own hype, turn on each other and break up the band. Finally, a decade later, they realize they've never done anything on their own that's as good as what they did together, and they reunite.

Welcome to "The Urge Overkill Story."

The Urge that is performing two eagerly anticipated (by some) reunion shows at the Double Door on Saturday and Sunday isn't exactly the same group that signed off with "Exit the Dragon" in 1995. The band's founders, singers, songwriters and guitarists, Eddie "King" Roeser and Nash "National" Kato, haven't reunited with drummer Blackie Onasis (a k a John Rowan, who played on their best recordings), instead recruiting a new group of backing musicians: bassist Mike Hodgkiss, keyboardist Chris Frantisak and drummer Nate Arling.

Gone, too, are the James Bond-meets-Hugh Hefner velvet outfits and medallions, along with much of the superstar shtick. But the set list will be familiar to fans, according to Roeser, who spoke with me shortly before the group headed out on an East Coast tour that culminates with its Chicago homecoming on Valentine's Day.

Q. The reunited Urge Overkill has already done a West Coast tour and you'll have played in New York before coming back to Chicago. Has it been fun so far?

A. Well, that's the whole idea. It wasn't fun before, but this was more fun than I had dared to hope. I didn't want to get my hopes up, and that's why even though I had been prepared to get back together and try it out for a while, no one really aggressively went after it. I didn't aggressively return phone calls and neither did Nash, so it took a couple of years to get it back off the ground.

The genesis was we thought of doing a New Year's Eve show, kind of a low-pressure thing, and maybe the only one. But the ideal room fell through -- we thought maybe we would do it at the Double Door and that didn't pan out -- and during that time, there were these offers coming in. It had to sort of be presented to us like, "Do you want to do this, yes or no?" And I was like, "Yeah, I guess so."

I had actually not played much music for the last six months, so I was getting in a state where I needed to do that. You have to be pretty aggressive and really want to pursue a solo career that people are maybe not that interested in. A small number of people are interested, but it's not really enough to make it easy to do. I did it for a while with Electric Airlines and the Kimball Roeser Effect, and then I was kind of not doing it for a while until this came up. It didn't seem to be too tough. I had always had a pretty nice rehearsal space, so that wasn't going to be a difficulty, and we got together and it sounded pretty good within a few days.

Q. Are you viewing this reunion as a temporary thing or as "Let's see what happens"?

A. "Let's see what happens." The more we do it, the more tenable it seems in terms of it being fulfilling and fun. The ability to get the excitement going -- I guess I knew it would be OK, but I wanted it to really seem like it was something that mattered, that there was some vitality there. And I really feel like there is now.

People are asking about new songs. We haven't had enough time to really develop like a battery of new songs, and that's not the main thing. But these songs aren't going to seem new to us after a year, so to keep this thing going, I've discussed it with Nash, and it's definitely in our interest to keep pursuing some new stuff. If there's going to be a lot of tension, or if things get iffy, it's going to be once that happens. But I think we both have enough ideas that you approach the best things first.

There's no label or anything like that, but people are like, "Are you going to make a record?" We're not going to rule it out; certainly that's the hope. I hope this thing goes well, because it's really a great feeling to go out and walk onstage and people are already decided that they like you. If you're a solo act, it's this really skeptical thing and it's a lot of work. We're not playing gigantic houses, but it's the right size and I feel really good.

Q. Do you have enough perspective at this point to say that you and Nash were always better together than on your own?

A. Oh, yeah. I was able to sort of realize that pretty much right away. It was more like because of certain ethical decisions I had made, I couldn't continue. At that stage [after "Exit the Dragon"], I didn't think we were headed toward making a good record. It was going to be a real, real struggle, and it was going to take a killer toll. It was tough to exist in that negative environment, and it wasn't going to turn around without a nice, long break. Even a year or two later, after I'd had a band together and written a bunch of songs, of course Urge was a more dynamic band, but if that had to include being Urge offstage, then I couldn't do that.

I sort of had to prove something to myself. I didn't know what Nash's deal was; I think he was just going to continue playing music. But at that point, I had to prove to myself that "I can do things my way, and I'm going to write an album and make a band sound exactly how I want." I was happy enough with that that if there was some kind of automatic, freakish demand for it, I'd have kept doing it. But there wasn't, and I was aware that that probably wouldn't happen. But I must say I did very little. After I proved to myself, "Well, I don't need those guys," my anxiety level went down and I didn't seek to prove a whole lot else. I didn't make a real aggressive effort to get back into the spotlight, and to get anywhere these days, you have to really want it.

Q. It doesn't seem that Nash had the same drive to do it alone, either.

A. No. I really get a great deal of pleasure out of working with other musicians -- I get a thrill out of that, the production that goes into making bands stage-worthy -- and he didn't really enjoy that, so I think consequently the people we played with didn't really feel that they were involved in something that was real. He knew it wasn't that great, but what was he going to do? I think it was becoming more and more difficult over the last couple of years for him; after nothing much happened with that one [solo] record ["Debutante"], I think he became fairly discouraged after that.

Q. You alluded to this earlier, but do you think you guys got a little bit too wrapped up in "being" Urge Overkill?

A. I think certain people did. I really wish that I could have been able to leave some of that emotional stuff behind; I think the band would have maybe been able to survive. But I had certain core beliefs and I thought these guys weren't behaving in a righteous way. I mean, I know bands, and there's almost no successful band where people are as great guys as the fans think they are. Some ugly s--- goes on. Rock 'n' roll attracts the most egotistical, unreasonable types of people, and you need at least one ass---- in a band to get anything done. I'm not willing or able to play that role, and I felt like I was promoting something toward the end that I just didn't feel was right.

I'd been doing it long enough where I felt I needed a break. Toward the end of it, I was depressed. It was a lot better after I got out of that environment. Had I really felt we were destined to make any more great music any time soon, I think I would have sucked it up and gone ahead with it. But we were never the most consistent live band, and we were never the easiest band to understand and get behind.

Q. How do you think the music holds up? I maintain that your Geffen debut, "Saturation," was one of the best albums of the '90s.

A. I think it sounds pretty good. Some people who get it and are predisposed to liking it, our records maybe have a little more depth and a few more interesting things going on than the average underground band of the era. I remain very proud of what we did, and I get a lot of good response. Obviously, people who don't like the band aren't going to walk up to me, but enough people go out of their way to approach me, and I'm really glad that people think I'm approachable. Over the years, I have to say that that has contributed a great deal to my willingness to get together again and pursue it again.

I think Urge had this identification as being this dark, chaotic, no-fun type of thing, and that's not what anybody who liked the band thought of it. That was my problem. If I can get over that, then I don't have a great need for everybody to know about that or understand it.

I guess in the end, we got the job done but we weren't destined for success. I think we got a great life experience that a lot of people in other bands would kill for. And I think toward the end we were lucky to have bands around us become huge. That helped us get a record deal in the first place -- that Nirvana had proven that that kind of music could be big. But you can't spend your time looking at the next guy, or the guy playing after you, and saying, "Why aren't we them? Why aren't we that big?" If you really thought about it, there were a lot of reasons why Urge wasn't that big.

The other guys had a tough time getting over that, especially when we saw that "Exit the Dragon" wasn't gonna go anywhere, and we were unable to focus. We weren't really together enough or cynical enough to say, "We all hate each other, but let's pretend everything is great and make another good-time record like 'Saturation.' " But I thought we had a great run. Maybe Nash kind of had to lose it all to realize, "Hey, this is pretty cool." It's too bad it had to go that far.

Q. What about Urge's best-known drummer, Blackie Onasis? The one thing a lot of fans have said about this reunion is that it doesn't seem quite like Urge without him.

A. Well, Nash and I discussed it seriously, and what became a major stumbling block is that those two had attempted to work together for a while after I left the association with them, and some things went down where I think it was going to really have to be a situation where I was going to have to force Nash to give Blackie a chance. I don't have the time and I don't know what's going on with Blackie enough to be able to do that. At the time when we were discussing doing a New Year's Eve show, it would have required him picking up roots and moving back here. And I don't know how much drumming he's been doing.

We decided that it was more important for us to be tight and good and dependable and maybe risk not having Blackie as part of the personality of the band, but having a more consistent sound. I felt that this thing had a better chance of being a positive experience sooner and being a more sure bet doing it this way. We had a decision to make; it's a compromise, and we even feel like musically we can't find anybody to do what needs to happen with some of these songs. But it's good enough in other ways, and the relationship with me and Nash is tenuous enough -- there's enough boiling under there -- that for the good of this project having a longer livelihood, we have to do it this way. We made a conscious compromise, but we didn't think for a second that it was illegitimate: Urge was a fully formed, functioning band when Blackie joined up. We had our mythology ready to go and we had already made a couple of albums and built our name.

Q. So what can fans expect at the Double Door?

A. We end up playing quite a bit off "Saturation," just because a lot of it still seems to be stage-worthy. Plus, the more obvious songs from "The Supersonic Storybook" -- we're doing "Ticket to L.A." and both sides of the "What's This Generation Coming To?" single. I guess the album we're playing the most songs from is "Saturation," but we're playing songs from everything, except the very first EP.

Caption:
Nash Kato (from left), Mike Hodgkiss and Eddie "King" Roeser are the guitarists in the re-formed Urge Overkill, which comes home to Chicago on Saturday and Sunday nights.

Copyright 2004 Chicago Sun-Times, Inc.
Record Number: 100D188438B0A4B8
02-29-04 06:45 PM
exile I also liked "Exit the Dragon" as well gotdablouse
I thought it was good.... pity it sold badly.....

Saturation was my favourite album of course with "Sister Havana" and "Bottle of Fur" and "Tequila Sundae"

As an old urge Overkill fan if anyone on the board is going to a show Id personally love to hear what they are like/

Is that true that some knobhead was mixing the Page & Plant comeback CD...and forgot to include Jimmy Page's guitar in the mix!.......Thats a fuckup...... Thats is Hilarious

02-29-04 06:46 PM
polksalad69 Chicago Tribune
February 16, 2004
Urge reunion -- once more with feeling

Author: Greg Kot, Tribune music critic.

Edition: Chicagoland Final
Section: Tempo
Page: 1

Article Text:

Urge Overkill's Nash Kato held a wine bottle aloft and toasted his fans. "There's no better place to be in Chicago tonight!"

It was homecoming weekend for Urge, or at least what's left of it, in the first of two sold-out shows Saturday at the Double Door, complete with "UO" Valentine's Day balloons and a guest appearance from Hollywood rock groupie Jack Black. With typical hubris, Kato announced that he and his band still have the goods, even though the band collapsed nearly a decade ago in acrimony.

Before then, Urge Overkill briefly galvanized the indie rock world. At a time of self-serious grunge bands for whom "dressing up" meant wearing a clean flannel shirt, Urge brought a swizzle-stick shtick that suggested Lollapalooza Nation's answer to Frank Sinatra's boozing, womanizing Rat Pack. Kato, Eddie "King" Roeser and Blackie Onassis were the swankiest bad boys in Wicker Park's mythical "Guyville," with their medallion-swinging, velour-suit and shades-wearing tongue-in-cheek chic.

Better still was music that put a sly twist on the power-chord poses of '70s rock; here was a band that anticipated the Tarantino age, with its heavily ironic take on pop-culture excess, and at times one had to wonder if the boys knew whether they were just joking, or if the joke was on them.

With their current reunion tour, Kato and Roeser come armed with three hired guns and no Onassis, who was not invited to this party. Always an erratic band in live performance, Urge was still a ragged beast on this night, but ratcheted up the volume and occasionally the intensity to compensate. The two founding guitarists and primary songwriters played their yin-yang roles to the hilt, Kato as the tall, vaguely bored rogue in the cream-colored suit, and Roeser the stocky but wired riff-master in black. As Roeser pin-wheeled around the stage hammering out carnal riffs by way of Slade and Thin Lizzy, Kato winked, smirked and posed.

There was always something a little off about the best Urge songs, a secret passage into an illicit world, and that was truer than ever now.

Kato reveled in the creepy eroticism of "Bottle of Fur" and the flamenco romanticism of Neil Diamond's "Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon," immortalized in Tarantino's movie "Pulp Fiction."

Roeser was the blue-eyed soul demon, demanding his "Ticket to L.A." to escape a crumbling relationship and barking at a terrorizing "Stalker."

Both singers brought a rough, weary cynicism to their vocals, as if they'd been up for three days straight and were looking for one last thrill before packing it in, perhaps for good.

For those who remembered 1993, it was nostalgia for the arena-rock act that never quite was, right down to the massive sound and the "UO" logo projected on a black curtain behind the stage.

As celebratory as this music wanted to be -- there was no denying the hit-the-highway chords of "Sister Havana" or the exultant who-hoo-hoos! of "Positive Bleeding" -- Urge buzzed loudest when it factored in the price that a life of rock decadence inevitably extracts.

"The Break" went well beyond its rather muted version on what was the band's final album, "Exit the Dragon," as it built from a rim-tapping beat and sinewy guitar line into a full-bore, tambourine-slamming rave-up.

Drummer Nate Arling's roller-coaster patterns gave "Crack Baby" a queasy momentum, and "What is Artane?" descended into a black hole of swirling guitars.

If this wasn't exactly Urge as we knew them, the reunion of these two Chicago indie-rock veterans held a strange fascination all its own.

Roeser sounded as though he wanted to make the most of his second chance, while Kato maintained a stylish, care-free distance.

As their disparate worlds briefly intersected, one gained a deeper understanding of why they had to break up in the first place.

In many ways, Urge combined the attributes of their two opening acts.

The Sights delivered manic, soul-fired garage rock with guitar, drums and Hammond organ, while the comedic folk duo Tenacious D parodied heavy metal cliches with acoustic guitars. Hollywood actor and Tenacious D singer Black sang about his love for metal icon Ronnie James Dio and dispensed explicit Valentine's Day lovemaking tips with equal conviction, his satire tapping into the primal desires of 15-year-old headbangers everywhere.

Caption:
PHOTO (color): Urge Overkill's Nash Kato maintained a cool distance at Saturday's reunion show at Double Door. Photo for the Tribune by Michael Walker.
PHOTO: Urge Overkill guitarists Nash Kato (left) and Eddie Roeser perform Saturday at the Double Door. Photo for the Tribune by Michael Walker.
PHOTOS 2

Memo:
ROCK REVIEW.

Copyright 2004, Chicago Tribune
Record Number: CTR0402160120

BEST VIEWED HIGH