ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mixing Little Queenie for Ya Ya's - January 1970
Stand Still from "Gimme Shelter"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: jfk 1981 soundboard vs handsome girls Return to archive
02-26-04 06:57 PM
jfk78 i know that the philly soundboard is in mono but why is all the 81 shows the same also why cant they be as good sounding as handsome girls .. anybody have a take on this
02-27-04 01:37 AM
T&A The 81's are for the most part soundboards - exception being Hampton. HGirls is sourced from processed KFBH broadcasts. Big difference. The KBFH's should sound much better, given the work that was done on them.
02-27-04 02:17 AM
marko Actually.Ft.worth is sbd,but rest of the handsome is radio
stuff.Which one you prefer?Radio or sbd?
02-27-04 08:19 AM
T&A you sure about that Marko? It's my understanding that all the HG material is sourced from original broadcast material done by King Biscuit. I realize the FW show never made it out on the airwaves, but I believe it's all still from recordings done for the Biscuit. The sound is certainly "FMey" vs. "boardey."
02-27-04 08:24 AM
nankerphelge The other reason is because '78 rocked while '81 kinda limped along!
02-27-04 08:39 AM
marko yes i am sure t&a.I have the original Swingin Pig version.
It is the very 1st release,other are copied from this boot.
And they added some extra songs,like satisfaction from
Oakland(this is aud).
On Swingin Pig boot,Ft.worth is SBD,show wasn�t broadcasted
anyways,it is pure sbd.The other stuff on the box are
RADIO broadcasted,but there isn�t all what was broadcasted.
Box misses few songs.Like brown sugar&jjf from Lexinton,if
i remember correctly.The 2 songs were released on vinyl boot
called "live from England",,i allways wondered where the name came from,because its 78 recordings....I have the 2 songs if you need.
02-27-04 09:46 PM
T&A The title 'live from England' is culled from the '78 stage introduction "and now from England, the Rolling Fucking Stones." And, I checked my Pig HG - and you're right, it's a Ft. Worth board. It's got a little more "audience ambience" than you're typical board, which gives it a little more of an FM feel to it.
[Edited by T&A]
02-28-04 02:27 AM
Scottfree Are we talking about the Warsh DC 81? Good goodness that was gr8......
02-28-04 03:41 AM
gotdablouse Was listening to Tempe, Az 1981 and that sounded like a soundboard to me or possibly radio. Damn these were the days, no "facile" (Keith referring to Billy Preston) musicians like we have these days.
02-28-04 05:14 AM
marko Scotfree,,,few songs were broadcasted from DC-81,also Phoenix show is monitor mix,,,,,,,,i think.It wasn�t broadcasted completely,just few songs.Hang fire&miss you.
Maybe also she�s so cold.
I have all DC-81 shows in audience quality,,,bloody great
shows.
02-28-04 06:57 AM
Mathijs Fort Worth is NOT a soundboard, it is a profesional recording done by the KBFH, just like the rest from Handsome Girls. It was recorded and filmed, as Jagger wanted to release it under the name "Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones".

Mathijs
02-28-04 07:49 AM
cwatts0462 How can you say 78 was better than 81,78 only had a handful of good shows,the shows were less than 90 min,and they
played awful most of the time.The tour was a month long,the 81 tour was ten times more professional and they played great after the initial two or three shows,hansdsome girls is great but those were the only good shows of the tour
02-28-04 08:03 AM
nankerphelge I say it to get people riled up -- usually marko and Steelie!

It worked!

Thanks
02-28-04 08:08 AM
marko LOL nanky panky!Well,there was actually more good shows in
78,than just Ft.worth.
washington
new york
myrtle beach(shitty quality)
chicago was great.

But only Ft.worth and,the couple theatre shows were as good
as most of the 81 tour.Ft.worth is equal to 1st New Jersey
show.
02-28-04 08:26 AM
nankerphelge Although the shows and tour were longer and "more professional" -- I still have problems listening to '81 for a lot of reasons

THE OPENER:

First -- Let It Rock from '78 just rips
Under My Thumb from '81 was not one of those grab-yer-nuts openers.

THH GUITARS

The guitars in 1978 sound like pirannah fish just ripping and shredding everything in site.

In 1981, they sound like the Stones built the guitars backstage just before the gig with some plywood, super-glue and rubber bands for strings.

THE WEAVE

The weave in '78 was amazing -- Ronnie and Keith trade off and work off each other -- it is amazing!

In '81 Ronnie and Keith weaved around the stage in drunken stupors.

MICK:

Jagger in '78 was looking very naughty -- his voice was growling, he looked like Mick Jagger.

In '81 he grunted the songs and looked like he shoplifted a bunch of shit from a gay sporting goods store. (Don't even get me started on the '82 outfits)

I will say that '81 was an incredible set-list -- both in selection and lenth. However, that never saved it for me. I know a lot of people think '81 was great -- I just never saw it.

[Edited by nankerphelge]
02-28-04 12:00 PM
T&A Okay, Marko - well it looks like maybe I was right after all about Ft Worth 78 being a KBFH project?

Another note about diff between 78 and 81 - the 81 shows are the first featuring wireless technology - this may have something to do with the sound diff. Also - 81's were mostly big, outdoor gigs, unlike most of 78. Hence, the boys weren't as often able to do the "weave" because they were literall off doing their own thing - unable to hear what the other guy was doing.
02-28-04 03:40 PM
Navin Common to both 78 and 81 - Presence of Ian McLagan
02-29-04 09:07 AM
nankerphelge I wonder what Stu thought of the Stones using so many other keyboards over time.

Nicky
Preston
Mac
Chuck

Stu died not long after Chuck came on board!
That's gotta mean something!

02-29-04 11:14 AM
exilestones@netscape
quote:
jfk78 wrote:
i know that the philly soundboard is in mono but why is all the 81 shows the same also why cant they be as good sounding as handsome girls .. anybody have a take on this

The Philly 81 is from a roadie cam. Handsome Girls was professionally recorded for radio broadcasts, ect.
02-29-04 11:16 AM
exilestones@netscape
quote:
marko wrote:
Actually.Ft.worth is sbd,but rest of the handsome is radio
stuff.Which one you prefer?Radio or sbd?

They are all the same quality except for a couple of bonus tracks on one of the Handsome Girls. See my post above.
02-29-04 11:17 AM
exilestones@netscape
quote:
T&A wrote:
you sure about that Marko? It's my understanding that all the HG material is sourced from original broadcast material done by King Biscuit. I realize the FW show never made it out on the airwaves, but I believe it's all still from recordings done for the Biscuit. The sound is certainly "FMey" vs. "boardey."

Handsome Girls was stones from the DIR vaults.
02-29-04 11:18 AM
exilestones@netscape
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Was listening to Tempe, Az 1981 and that sounded like a soundboard to me or possibly radio. Damn these were the days, no "facile" (Keith referring to Billy Preston) musicians like we have these days.

I never did figure out what it has not so great soundboard quality but there is some great stuff there like Just My Imagination and a few others. I wish the quality was better.
02-29-04 11:19 AM
exilestones@netscape
quote:
cwatts0462 wrote:
How can you say 78 was better than 81,78 only had a handful of good shows,the shows were less than 90 min,and they
played awful most of the time.The tour was a month long,the 81 tour was ten times more professional and they played great after the initial two or three shows,hansdsome girls is great but those were the only good shows of the tour

I agree but there is great stuff from both tours.
03-01-04 04:17 AM
Mathijs >Another note about diff between 78 and 81 - the 81 shows are the first featuring wireless technology - this may have something to do with the sound diff.

This is not true! Jager used a wireless mic in 1975 (with a very muffled sound), and Keith and Ron used wireless sets in 1978, while Jagger was wireless at some shows in 1978. 1981 was the first tour where all Stones (even Bill) were wireless. Main reason for the sound change is that in 1978 the guitar amps were Boogie Mark I amps slaved through ampeg SVT's, while in 1981 the amps were Boogie Mark IIC+ (160 watt Coloseum version). The Mark I is a hot rodded Fender Bassman, while the Mark IIC is more like a Marshall. And Marshall's are terible for Stones music.

Mathijs

BEST VIEWED HIGH