ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mixing Little Queenie for Ya Ya's - January 1970
Stand Still from "Gimme Shelter"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BANDS/ACTS THAT SUCK Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
02-26-04 05:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot >First time I've encountered someone who requies "reading and research" to determine what kind of music they like... how does that help you SSA?<

I do the reading and research to FIND the albums that I want to try out. Only a complete idiot with more money than brains would walk into a CD store without any idea of what they are looking for! I don't really listen to much mainstream pop music. I have found that with the shitty state of the business today, you have to search out decent music. It requires effort to locate things that are worthwhile. Rolling Stone and Spin are shit, as far as I'm concerned. I regularly buy magazines like Mojo, Uncut, Filter, Magnet, CMJ, Fader, No Depression, and Goldmine...many of them come with sampler CDs that are pretty helpful.

What do you do? Just walk into a CD store and buy stuff with nifty covers?

> Do you need to determine how "cool" the artist is before you like their music? <

Well, yeah, sort of. I check out various reviews from different magazines(never hang your hat on only a single review...I usually try to find at least 3-5), maybe check out the band's website for audio/video clips, look for interviews with the artists. This let's me know if the band may be something that would appeal to me....if they are worth looking into further, or buying any of their albums. There is just SO MUCH music out there that I need to peel down the choices.

Another reason for doing this is that with the price of CDs, I want to eliminate as much chance as possible of buying something that I'm not gonna like. Who wants to spend $10-15.00 on a shitty CD that you will only listen to once. Money wasted, and since I'm not JB, I don't have a pile of money to waste. You can save yourself some cash with a little reading and research.

Finally, if I decide that I do indeed enjoy a particular band/artist...I dig into what else they have done before or since. Are there any other albums on a different label? Do they have any side projects? Did any of the band members play in any other bands? Are there former members that are now playing with a different band? Is the band/artist part of a larger scene that may possibly have other good bands to check out? I have found a lot of really cool music by digging a little.

I have no idea why you would find any of this odd, or funny. To me it is common sense if you are at all serious about your music collection.

I find it odd and funny if you DON'T look into something before you invest in it.

02-27-04 06:19 PM
Mr. D The Darkness-get real, they suck ass
Bon Jovi
Good Charlotte
THE REST OF POP-PUNK(and almost all punk for that matter)
Dashboard Confessional (and the rest of this EMO garbage)
Aerosmith AKA Rolling Stones Jr.
Limp Bizkit (and all of nu-metal)
Zack Wylde
Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson-frigging 'virtuosos'
Van Hagar (as Joe Dirt would say)
Rap Music-especially Ludicris, Fabolaous, and the rest of these jackasses that think spelling things wrong makes them cool.
The Strokes and the Vines
Im sure ill be back with more
02-27-04 06:22 PM
Mr. D I agree Stonesalot, whenever i want to buy some new music, I scout out exactly what I may get. You have to look through reviews, and descriptions of what you may purchase. Even with older records, I always check up something on them before buying.
02-29-04 06:07 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
My TV isn't sterile at all, my cat Happy tends to sleep on it.

Put him in the shower. That will make him "Happy" gegege !
02-29-04 01:01 PM
polksalad69
quote:
telecaster wrote:
How can rap be related to blues when there isn't a guitar to be seen or heard in rap?

Gotta get over the guitar but considering you are called telecaster that might be difficult.

Did Othar Turner have guitar? Marshall Chess thinks rap is related to blues but he's a loon. Soul blues may have guitars but they aren't the focus of the music. Outkast has guitars.

So I say Pop Cuntry (Toby Queef etc) suck ass.
02-29-04 04:15 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

So I say Pop Cuntry (Toby Queef etc) suck ass.

III; 12-3-02:

thought I'd add the Cellblock rant:

"Speakin of DAC aren�t ya sick of not hearin any motherfuckers on the radio that made country music what it is today? Ya hear these sonofabitches like keith urban and brian white getting up there and putting on fuckin make up, shakin their asses for all the bitches out there, and all that bullshit. that ain�t fuckin real at all man not one goddamn bit

We�re not sayin we better than anybody else because we�re fuckin not. We put our pants on just like every motherfucker in this room but as far as the state that country music is in today man all the real guys your not hearin of em because the system is fuckin putting out all these faggots out there man. Simple as that. And that�s all right with me because Nashville can go straight to hell. all those fuckin managers, Shania twain sellin 3 million fuckin records and she�s only done 1 show in her fuckin life back when she fuckin started out. that says it all man that�s fuckin bull mutherfuckin shit. Simple as that. So let�s end the country part of the thing. So call up the FM radio and tell them I wanna hear some Johnny paycheck, george jones, webb pierce, all the mutherfuckers that made it what it is today cause you don�t hear them no more man and that�s not right. And I�m not 100% officially pure countrified cause I got my other set that I do too, but I know when to pay respects when respects are due man and there fucking needin it really, really fuckin bad right now. So I�m here to put the dick in Dixie and the cunt in country.......... "
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH