ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Gamma Presse with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Happy 65th Birthday Lou Reed!! Return to archive
2nd March 2007 10:30 AM
Nellcote
2nd March 2007 11:10 AM
LadyJane Nelly...my FAVORITE Lou tune!!!

Happy Bday!!!

LJ.
2nd March 2007 12:17 PM
Honky Tonk Man That is probably my favourite Lou Reed tune too. I love his vocals on that one. Happy Birthday Lou!
2nd March 2007 01:30 PM
Martha May blessings and peace surround you Lou!

And may you stay forever young!
2nd March 2007 02:23 PM
charlotte one of the great albums of all time
Happy Birthday Lou

[Edited by charlotte]
2nd March 2007 03:36 PM
pdog Lou Rules...
Feliz Cumpleanos Guerro!
2nd March 2007 04:01 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. Lou is the fucking man. He's also responsible for some of the most criminally underrated and overlooked albums ever:

2nd March 2007 04:11 PM
lotsajizz well, I prefer Velvet Lou myself...but it's ALL good...Happy 65th, Butch
2nd March 2007 05:21 PM
GotToRollMe Happy Birthday, Uncle Lou.
2nd March 2007 05:25 PM
sirmoonie Even if this was all he ever did, he'd be important.

2nd March 2007 05:38 PM
PartyDoll MEG Waited until I got home so I could hear your tune, Nelly.

Ya picked one of my favs!

Happy BDay, Lou!!

2nd March 2007 05:46 PM
fireontheplatter lou reed is overated and hardly the new yorky man.
he was charging 75 bucks a ticket in boulder and i was like we have to go see him and my friend born and raised in the bronx biggest lou fan on the planet was like....fuck that. what could i say....

great song
happy happy to him.....i am sure he is yucking it up in some place all of could never afford because we bought all of his records.

everybody say ow

is american idol on tonight?
2nd March 2007 05:47 PM
pdog Happy Birthday NYC Man...
2nd March 2007 08:10 PM
Gazza
quote:
Steamboat Bill, Jr. wrote:
Lou is the fucking man. He's also responsible for some of the most criminally underrated and overlooked albums ever:

You never said a truer word. I love the Velvets of course, but whilst a lot of Lou's solo stuff can be patchy as hell, some of it is unjustly overlooked.

The title track is the best song he ever recorded. And no, its not just because Bruce is on it.

Best album he's done post-Berlin and a serious contender for the best album of the 80's. He personally signed my copy when I met him six years ago. I was surprised by how pleasant he was.

My fave Lou album and one of my all time Top 10. Its criminal how hardly anyone got how fantastic this record is when it was released. I'm hoping someday they'll reissue it in its orignal intended form (RCA wouldnt release it as a double LP)

Lou as Lenny Bruce..lol....Christ, did he get out of the wrong side of bed that morning or what? One of the funniest and most vitriolic records I've ever heard. "Fuck Radio Ethiopia, I'm Radio Brooklyn". Its not every day you hear a singer on a live album address someone as a "toefucker".

Some great, underrated efforts there - but I'd like to add this one to the list

"Rock n Roll Animal" is a serious contender for the best live album ever made by anyone. That version of 'Heroin' makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time

[Edited by Gazza]
2nd March 2007 10:17 PM
Egbert Where's the love for MMM?
3rd March 2007 07:07 AM
Bitch Hey Bsbe, Take a Walk on the Wild Side!

Lou's cool! Half fvcking crazy and his live performances are raw and rough, and a little edgy. That's his style, he likes to exit the comfort zone and bring that level down. That takes talent and guts, the man personifies the anti-establishment underground existance, like the man in Torn an Frayed, even in his younger days. I've seen him up close in smaller gigs and he's not too pretty, which is why I dont think he ever got that superstar status, the man's kinda ugly looking. (Sorry Lou's no MICK Jagger!)
3rd March 2007 01:29 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
he's not too pretty, which is why I dont think he ever got that superstar status, the man's kinda ugly looking.

I would say its more likely to do with the fact that he sings like he has a frog stuck in his throat and that many of his songs are written about heroin addiction, cross dressers, violence and death, personally!

Its not exactly radio-friendly, lets face it!
[Edited by Gazza]
3rd March 2007 02:13 PM
Bitch
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I would say its more likely to do with the fact that he sings like he has a frog stuck in his throat and that many of his songs are written about heroin addiction, cross dressers, violence and death, personally!

Its not exactly radio-friendly, lets face it!

True, he does tend to focus on the darker side of life.
3rd March 2007 03:18 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr.
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Some great, underrated efforts there - but I'd like to add this one to the list

Yeah I should've had that one on there, I just overlooked it (and I prefer both Legendary Hearts and New Sensations over The Blue Mask, which I think is a little overrated).

With Berlin, I think unfortunately the cut material was actually destroyed by RCA, so a full-length version is sadly not possible.
3rd March 2007 06:39 PM
CraigP http://youtube.com/watch?v=FANQBrCg8vw

He's a funny guy.
3rd March 2007 07:12 PM
Dear Doctor if there was ever a time for a rocker to mandatorily retire now is it
lou reed has sucked for years
call it a day
just sip your coffee at some trendy geek coffee house in soho

its over lou
its over
4th March 2007 04:13 AM
Prodigal Son Lou has been a patchy solo artist but he has made some tremendous albums on his own too. He was actually better in the 80s than the 70s, IMO. His only good 70s albums were Transformer, Coney Island Baby, Rock n' Roll Animal and Street Hassle. The rest ranged from ok but overrated (Berlin) to mediocre (Rock n' Rol Heart, Sally Can't Dance) to experimental junk (Metal Machine Music). The Blue Mask is a great album as are Legendary Hearts, New Sensations and New York. Magic & Loss ain't too shabby either but he hasn't made a really good LP since New York I feel.
4th March 2007 11:41 AM
Paranoid_Android Ever hear the live version of VICIOUS he released a few years ago...PERFECT NIGHT : LIVE IN LONDON ? Lou at his finest...along w/ the entire album.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)