ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Jim Price - the "Kids nowadays ain't got no shame" sessions
© 1971 Ethan A. Russell
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Donates Return to archive
March 4th, 2005 08:51 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Even a Rolling Stone recognizes the importance of music education. Keith Richards, the legendary guitar player for the Stones, recently donated more than $2,500 to the Wisconsin Center for Music Education (www.wsmamusic.com/center), a digital nexus of music education and performance space for Wisconsin students that's set to open this summer in Waunakee.

"We just got a check in the mail," says a slightly incredulous Kevin Thays, spokesperson for the Wisconsin School Music Association (WSMA), a nonprofit education organization that will oversee the center.

While Richards isn't on the syllabus to teach a guitar clinic—yet—Thays says visitors will be more than satisfied with the center's offerings. Public and private school students statewide will be able to login for online music classes and record their own music in an on-site digital sound studio, while budding 21st-century Beethovens can cut loose in an electronic keyboard lab.

A Music Technology Center will feature the latest tools for music study, composing, arranging, and performance, plus special classes for youth and adults utilizing the Yamaha "Music in Education" Program.

Eventually the center hopes to expand their offerings to out-of-state students and their teachers.

In the face of shrinking budgets for arts education nationwide, WSMA understands how crucial music education can be in a young person's life. The center will also offer early childhood education classes for its smallest students, so toddlers can learn to bang on a drum all day, too.

The launch is already attracting the attention of some high-profile professionals. Steve Miller, of the Steve Miller Band, recently presented an award on behalf of the new center to electric guitar inventor Les Paul. And "nationally known conductors" have donated their personal music collections to the center's library, says Thays.

The 16,900-square-foot facility is scheduled to open this July, with $1.1 million needed to complete construction. Hey, if Keith Richards could be moved to donate, maybe Bruce Springsteen or Eddie Van Halen can lend a hand, too.

March 4th, 2005 08:54 AM
F505 [quote]Even a Rolling Stone recognizes the importance of music education. Keith Richards, the legendary guitar player for the Stones, recently donated more than $2,500 to the Wisconsin Center for Music Education. [quote]

Don't you mean $ 25.000?
March 4th, 2005 08:56 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I just copied the article... $2,500 is peanuts but helps, is someone sends me that I will be more than happy
March 4th, 2005 09:27 AM
BILL PERKS EDDIE VAN HALEN IS TOO BUSY CONTRIBUTING TO THE WINEMAKERS OF AMERICA AT THE MOMENT..THAT BOY IS GONE!
March 4th, 2005 10:22 AM
glencar Perhaps the winemakers of America should make a generous contribution then. It's only right.
March 4th, 2005 10:25 PM
gorda
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
I just copied the article... $2,500 is peanuts but helps, is someone sends me that I will be more than happy

If $2,500 is peanuts, then why don't YOU give $2, 500???

I don't know about where you live, but here $2,500 is a lot of money!

P.S. A gift is a gift!

Furthermore, I'm sure Keith gives lots of money to other charities!

March 4th, 2005 10:44 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
gorda wrote:
Furthermore, I'm sure Keith gives lots of money to other charities!

Really? And what makes you so sure that he does?
March 4th, 2005 11:07 PM
gorda
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Really? And what makes you so sure that he does?

OKAY! Individually, I don't know for sure!

But, usually, for tax purposes, it's a good idea to give to charity!

But, I do recall reading about the Stones giving money so that the Chinese people could buy those "thing-a-ma-gigs" (face masks?) that protect them from SARS.

This was way before they donated their time and prestigous name to the SARS benefit in Toronto!
March 5th, 2005 08:03 AM
SirMuddy + Mick and Keith donate $500 000 (each?) for Olympic sport in Britain in 1990-2?

+ Stones give some money too for LA in 1994 "The Storm"

+ Mick Nicaragua 1973

+ Tickets and lift for Keith's blind angel

+ job to: Chuck Berry, Etta James, Johnny Johnson,Tina Turner ++

+ some music/fun to some fans
[Edited by SirMuddy]
[Edited by SirMuddy]
March 5th, 2005 08:35 AM
Poplar
Keith is also reportedly spending about 2.5 hours in the studio.
March 5th, 2005 03:24 PM
gorda
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Keith is also reportedly spending about 2.5 hours in the studio.

Remember: It's quality and not quantity that matters!

If he can get his work done in 2.5 hours, well good for him!

March 5th, 2005 06:49 PM
sammy davis jr. "Extreme Western Grip".....
March 5th, 2005 08:04 PM
gotdablouse Sounds like he's trying to make up for the poor publicity he got for turning down that Pirate thing by asking a seven figure salary, that's Keith allright !

$2,500 donation, 2.5 hours in the studio, 1 new song in 8 years...what's next...forgetting his name ?!
March 5th, 2005 08:45 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
gorda wrote:
Remember: It's quality and not quantity that matters!
If he can get his work done in 2.5 hours, well good for him!

That's very true. However, let's be realistic...
March 5th, 2005 11:04 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Even a Rolling Stone recognizes the importance of music education. Keith Richards, the legendary guitar player for the Stones, recently donated more than $2,500 to the Wisconsin Center for Music Education (www.wsmamusic.com/center), a digital nexus of music education and performance space for Wisconsin students that's set to open this summer in Waunake

i hope that is a type-o (error), or else that the amount is ALOT "more than $2,500." for a man of his financial stature, that is an embarrassing amount for a donation. i love the guy, but give me a break - $2500 is the amount that a well-organized bake sale can pull in, not the value of a check drawn from the account of one of the wealthiest entertainers in the world - esp. when they only need $1.1 million. to compare, speilberg and lucas give more than a million apiece to the usc film school, each year...

March 5th, 2005 11:12 PM
Brainbell Jangler If those folks at the Wisconsin Center for Music Education are smart, they'll auction off that check and see if they can bring in a LOT more than $2,500 for it. Keith could have kicked down much more than that.
March 5th, 2005 11:14 PM
Tom ROTF
March 6th, 2005 02:08 AM
gorda In Spanish, we have a saying, "Limosnero con garrote." which means, "Begger with a stick."

Translation: A gift is a gift. When someone gives you something from the goodness of their heart, you should be grateful and thank them for them! Remember they were under no obligation to give you anything!

P.S. Since you guys seem so concerned about this music school in Wisconson, why don't you all donate your time and your money for this cause!

March 6th, 2005 02:24 AM
gorda Also, why is this school in Wisconson, so special? Why do they need a million dollars? I mean, really!

There are literally thousands of music schools across the country!

Keith doesn't even live in Wisconson! The fact, that he took the time to write them a $2,500 check is admirable!

They should be grateful! They should be honored!
March 6th, 2005 03:01 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
i hope that is a type-o (error), or else that the amount is ALOT "more than $2,500."

Who knows. In the Wisconsin Center for Music Education site, Keith's name appears in some division that escalates from $2,500:

SOLOIST DIVISION
Gift of $2500 - $9999

Altria Group, Inc.
Barrett, Janet and Mark
Bolz (Eugene Mayer) Family Foundation
Buchhauser, Thomas
Butler, Dr. Gregg
Daehn Publications
Erdman, Harvard
Fellenz, Richard
Gleason, Gerald and Karen
G. Leblanc Corporation
Goeres, Ted and Mary Jean
Hanson, Robert
Houghton, Ralph and Jane
Jenny, Donald and Debra
Jerome, Sarah
Keezer, Ron and Mary
Kember, Gerald and Nan
Knutson, James and Ruth
Krause, Donald and Joanne
Lands End, Inc.
Letzing, Robert
McAllister, Susan and Thomas
Nielsen, Glenn and Meg
PEL Music Publications
Pierce, R. Scott
Plumb, Tom and Janet
Prosser, Allan
Rasmussen, Nancy and Richard
Really Good Music, LLC
Richards, Keith (of The Rolling Stones)
Rural Mutual Insurance
Schmid, Will and Ann
Tweed, Jan and Ted
US Bank Foundation
Ward-Brodt Music
Wickert, Brian and Rebekah (In Honor of Lee Jacobi)
Wisconsin Association of School Boards, Inc.
Wisconsin State Music Conference
Wolf, Richard
Woodburn, Kyle & Co.

http://www.wsmamusic.com/foundation/investment/capital_donors.html
March 6th, 2005 01:10 PM
gorda
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

i hope that is a type-o (error), or else that the amount is ALOT "more than $2,500." for a man of his financial stature, that is an embarrassing amount for a donation. i love the guy, but give me a break - $2500 is the amount that a well-organized bake sale can pull in, not the value of a check drawn from the account of one of the wealthiest entertainers in the world - esp. when they only need $1.1 million. to compare, speilberg and lucas give more than a million apiece to the usc film school, each year...

Dear mac-daddy,

YOU! YOU HAVE SOME NERVE!

Bake-sale? Puh-leeze! Well, why don't YOU put on that apron and hit that kitchen and bake us some brownies!

Speilberg and Lucas are alumni of USC!!!! That is why they give back to their old school.

Keith never attended that school in Wisconson! In fact, he lives in Conneticut! And, furthermore, he went to school in London!

Out of the goodness of his heart, Keith gives money to this unknown school in the middle of nowhere and this is the thanks he gets?

THEY ARE LUCKY, HE GAVE THEM ANYTHING AT ALL!
March 6th, 2005 01:11 PM
gorda
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

Dear mac-daddy,

YOU! YOU HAVE SOME NERVE!

Bake-sale? Puh-leeze! Well, why don't YOU put on that apron and hit that kitchen and bake us some brownies!

Speilberg and Lucas are alumni of USC!!!! That is why they give back to their old school.

Keith never attended that school in Wisconson! In fact, he lives in Conneticut! And, furthermore, he went to school in London!

Out of the goodness of his heart, Keith gives money to this unknown school in the middle of nowhere and this is the thanks he gets?

THEY ARE LUCKY, HE GAVE THEM ANYTHING AT ALL!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood