ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Jim Price - the "Kids nowadays ain't got no shame" sessions
© 1971 Ethan A. Russell
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I saw the Metallica movie when it first Return to archive
March 3rd, 2005 10:25 PM
gorda I saw the Metallica movie when it was still playing the the theaters. Here is the review, I posted on www.mickjaggers.com:

[Edited by gorda]
March 3rd, 2005 10:26 PM
gorda I saw the Metallica movie when it was still playing the the theaters. Here is the review, I posted on www.mickjaggers.com:

Metallica documentary, Some Kind of Monster

I went to see the Metallica documentary this weekend. I was a bit disappointed. If you are not a huge fan, it’s not really worth it.

I was disappointed even before I went into the theater, because I had thought that my brother had met them in person. But, it turns out that the band that he has met on several occasions is called “Queensryche”.

Anyways, the movie is very long or it seemed really long. Usually, I can sit through most movies without having to get up to go to the bathroom, but this movie I had to get up twice, I did drink a lot of soda though.

The movie is a documentary of the making of their last album, St. Anger. It starts some time in 2001, and doesn’t end until 2003! The reason, it takes them so long to complete the album is because James, the lead singer and Lars, the drummer are not getting along. They rent the Presidio in San Francisco, and turn it into a recording studio. But, right away, there are problems. James insists that he can only work 4 hours! He can only work from 12 to 4. And, everyone is like cool. But, then James has a temper-tantrum because he wants “everyone” to stop working at 4, too! He is just so unreasonable. He doesn’t even want Lars and the producer to listen to the material they have recorded after he is gone.

They are not getting along at all! Their bass player, left the band to pursue his own project, EchoBrain. He felt that his creativity was being stifled.

So, the producer has to take the place of the bass player temporarily, because the band is not getting along, and they don’t want to bring in someone new during this difficult time.

To help them get along, they hire this $40,000-a-month-therapist who specializes in dealing with people with huge egos, mainly star athletes in sports teams. Anyways, the therapist tries to help them. But, James still just takes off without telling anyone anything. So, everything is just in limbo. And no one knows if and when he will come back. *Although he appears to be a jerk to his bandmates, James is a good father and husband.

This movie does not deliver what it promises, there is not enough music, and too much therapy sessions! And, thanks to this movie, my premise that therapist are full of bull has been reinforced.

Aside from the therapy sessions and the arguments in the recording studio. The movie shows, Lars with his father, James with his wife and kids, James riding some weird racing car, surfing, Lars and water-skiing, Lars goes running, Lars sells his paintings in New York City, Lars and go see Echobrain perform, the band performs for prison inmates at San Quentin, the band is honored by MTV, the band has a fan appreciation day, and this chick jams with the band, the band holds auditions for a new bass player, and finally, the band finishes their album and goes on tour.
March 3rd, 2005 10:30 PM
gorda I forgot to mention that there's this hilarous scene where Lars stands over James (who is sitting down) and screams, "FUCK!"

It is hilarious, looking at it in film, but it must have been traumatic for the people who were actually present!
March 4th, 2005 01:54 AM
IanBillen
quote:
gorda wrote:
I forgot to mention that there's this hilarous scene where Lars stands over James (who is sitting down) and screams, "FUCK!"

It is hilarious, looking at it in film, but it must have been traumatic for the people who were actually present!

I know, that was funny. James Hetfield just kept looking at him like "I don't know what to tell ya".

And I don't know, I haven't heard all of St. Anger, but the tracks I did hear that they were working on didn't seem that hot. It almost seemed as if those tracks were not completely album worthy.

Surely, I cannot pass true judgement on it. I only heard what they did on that album in the movie. However, the tracks I heard on the movie very much lacked in spirit, and was mediocre song writing at best.

How the hell did this win a Grammy? (shows you why Grammy's can mean everything, or can be real bullshit)

Ian
March 4th, 2005 10:12 PM
gorda I don't know about now, but for 10 bucks, my brother got the CD and it came with a DVD!

P.S. In the above post, I didn't explain it right! In that scene Lars puts his face right in front of James! (inches) And, then he screams,

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!"

P.S.S. I can't remember the name of the other band member, Kirk? Is that his name?

March 6th, 2005 05:06 AM
IanBillen
quote:
gorda wrote:
I don't know about now, but for 10 bucks, my brother got the CD and it came with a DVD!

P.S. In the above post, I didn't explain it right! In that scene Lars puts his face right in front of James! (inches) And, then he screams,

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!"

P.S.S. I can't remember the name of the other band member, Kirk? Is that his name?

I know, I Know!,

And James Hetfield just keeps looking at him like "I don't know what to tell ya brother".

I really laughed. Lars is a spoiled baby.

Ian
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood