ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Jim Price - the "Kids nowadays ain't got no shame" sessions
© 1971 Ethan A. Russell
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Metallica: Some Kind of Monster DVD review.....simply babies, From Ian Return to archive
March 3rd, 2005 05:53 AM
IanBillen I am not really a Metallica fan or anything but last night I rented and watched Metallica's "Some Kind of Monster" DVD to see what they were like behind the scenes and to take a look at the making of their St. Anger Album.

One word can descibe them, well maybe two: Spoiled Babies!

Geez, all those guys do is bicker. They had to actually hire a group therapist to help them get along. They showed sessions with the group therapist. It was like a friggin epasode of MTV's The Real World. Lars Ulrich has to be a baby and have everything his way. James Hetfield tries to play a big bad tough guy all the time going around slamming doors to prove how violent he may get.

These guys took two f#%*kin years to record this album. I actually had to feel sorry for their producer (Bob Rock). He was doing his job trying to be the calm, cool, level headed one of the bunch and the album and group were going nowhere. How, on this planet, the album won a Grammy is totaly beyond me???

These guys need to get real. They haven't went through half of the ordeals The Stones or say The Who went through and all they do is fight, complain about each other, and cry through the whole damn film. They have all this money. Access to anything they want, and they act like 40 year old children.

What idiots they are who have no idea about how to keep it together and just make music or stay they hell away from each other. All they wanted to do is argue about nothing. Yes, nothing. They were not even argueing about any issue with one another or anything. I couldn't understand what the problem was?

What a bunch of weak bullshit they are as a band.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
March 3rd, 2005 07:22 AM
Irresistible-Lady agree
March 3rd, 2005 01:52 PM
MrPleasant I'd love to see this. A review describes it as "better than Spinal Tap" or something.
March 3rd, 2005 02:58 PM
Mel Belli Metallica's career has hardly been ordeal-free. They lost their bassist, Cliff Burton, in a bus accident, very early on.
March 3rd, 2005 03:07 PM
glencar Didn't it just win the Oscar or Spirit award? I ahven't liked Metallica since their attack on my illegal downloading. Lars ulrich is such an asshole.
March 3rd, 2005 04:14 PM
IanBillen
It may sound strange coming from source that thinks their idiots but go ahead and check it out. You will understand what Metallica is alot more and it was interesting to see.
This is one thing you can sure throw in a Metallica fans face when they try to tell you how great they are. Then again, there are not many Metallica fans out there any more. anybody notice that.

Ian
March 3rd, 2005 04:20 PM
Bloozehound I like "Whisky in the Jar" by Metallica
March 3rd, 2005 04:26 PM
Mel Belli Ian, they packed arenas in North America and Europe last year. I'm no enthusiast, but Metallica still have a very large fanbase.
March 3rd, 2005 04:31 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I like "Whisky in the Jar" by Metallica

They were covering Thin Lizzy (who themselves were covering a traditional). Both bands do killer versions.
March 3rd, 2005 07:52 PM
sammy davis jr. I hate Metallica and have absolutely no idea how they ever became huge.....they suck like no others suck. Lars is the devil.
March 3rd, 2005 08:06 PM
Bob Tamp Dont know their records at all nor do I care if they are huge. They suck in my book ever since I heard them do remakes of Seger's Turn the Page,and Skynards' Tuesdays Gone. God awful, and totally souless.
March 3rd, 2005 09:40 PM
Soldatti Keith said something like this about Metallica: "Too much pose...leather...the open legs, ugly faces...what the hell is that?..."
Lars Ulrich said many times that Jumpin' Jack Flash was the best rock and roll song until 1994, when Oasis did "Rock And Roll Star".
March 4th, 2005 05:24 PM
wgwalsh Ian, go ahead take a hit off of Grandpa Walton's recipe jug and put on Goats Head Soup. Sobriety is a bitch.
March 4th, 2005 10:17 PM
gorda
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
I hate Metallica and have absolutely no idea how they ever became huge.....they suck like no others suck. Lars is the devil.

Metallica is not my favorite band, but they have some good songs.

Remember that song, I have forgotten the title, but it goes, " . . . exit light, enter night . . ." Something like that!

That song is way cool!
March 4th, 2005 10:40 PM
IanBillen
quote:
wgwalsh wrote:
Ian, go ahead take a hit off of Grandpa Walton's recipe jug and put on Goats Head Soup. Sobriety is a bitch.

I am going to have to try that. Though presently I am still trying to figure out the point to this game Grandpa always has me play with him. He calls it "Find Grandpa's hairy monkey"...?

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
March 5th, 2005 03:52 AM
wgwalsh Ian, maybe Grandpa is a monkey man.
March 5th, 2005 10:52 PM
exile I just watched it on DVD!

I admit I am not a fan and the only song I know is enter sandman or what evr it is called.

I found them to be extremely immature at least in the beginning.
You'd think 40ish old men would have gotten over the Door slamming tantrum thing in their teenage years.

the therapy guy did a good job getting them to open up and talk about their feelings which had a positive effect, however he didnt want to part with his $40,000 a month in the end and didnt like getting the boot when the band felt they could stand on their own. that was quite funny, made him out to be a bit of a leech.

anyway interesting movie from my standpoint, did not make me want to go out and buy a Metallica record.

Lars dad was a tripper, looks like something from "Lord of the Rings"

bands like this really need to take a page out of the stones book if you ask me.
March 6th, 2005 04:55 AM
IanBillen
quote:
wgwalsh wrote:
Ian, maybe Grandpa is a monkey man.

Ahhh, now I get it!

Ian
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood