ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Jim Price - the "Kids nowadays ain't got no shame" sessions
© 1971 Ethan A. Russell
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "And what do you do?" Return to archive
March 2nd, 2005 09:24 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Queen Doesn't Recognize Famous Guitarists

LONDON - Queen Elizabeth II met four of Britain's most famous guitarists Tuesday, asking them: "And what do you do?" Queen's Brian May, Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck were all guests at a Buckingham Palace party to honor the British music industry.

"It's great to meet her and it doesn't matter at all that she did not know who we are or what we do," Clapton said. "I wouldn't expect her to."

Other guests included Charlotte Church, Cilla Black, Shirley Bassey , Roger Daltrey and Geri Halliwell.

Phil Collins, another guest, said it wasn't the first time he had met the queen.
"The queen has heard my music but I don't know if she's a fan," Collins said.

Queen Elizabeth II to Present Music Award

LONDON - Queen Elizabeth II is to bestow her seal of musical approval with a new prize, the Queen's Medal for Music.

The medal is designed to raise the profile of music in Britain and to "reward individuals who have had a major influence on the musical life of the nation," Buckingham Palace announced Tuesday.

The prize is open to musicians of any nationality — and of any genre, from classical to rap — who have had an impact on music in Britain. It will be awarded on Nov. 22, the memorial day of St. Cecilia, patron saint of music.

Peter Maxwell Davies, who as Master of The Queen's Music will chair the award committee, said the medal was "a concrete symbol of the esteem which most of us feel musical life in Britain deserves."

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
March 2nd, 2005 09:44 AM
Jumacfly !!!!
the answer is easy: there isn't any guitar on Phil Collins music!! that s why she asked that to these four legends!!
amazing story TTM!
March 2nd, 2005 10:23 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Queen Doesn't Recognize Famous Guitarists

LONDON - Queen Elizabeth II met four of Britain's most famous guitarists Tuesday, asking them: "And what do you do?" Queen's Brian May, Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck were all guests at a Buckingham Palace party to honor the British music industry.

I may be a little biased, but I find it hard to believe that anyone living in the United Kingdom - even if it's the Queen, or even more so - would not know who these people are or what they do.

Another thing I fail to understand is why British people seem to be so fond of the royalty. Clapton feeling "so great to meet her" and so on. I'm more accustomed to treating politicians etc. with disbelief rather than joy for meeting them

And having someone who stands "higher" than the rest of the people, well, just doesn't do it for me.
March 2nd, 2005 01:00 PM
Gazza I dont actually believe that story.

Clapton was given a CBE by the Queen not long ago and Brian May performed a spectacular opening to her Golden Jubilee concert in June 2002 by playing the national anthem standing at the top of Buckingham Palace. She would know them both.

Regardless, I dont consider it unusual that a 78 year old woman in any walk of life wouldnt know who the hell these people are. Furthermore, I would hazard a guess that most people under 30 wouldnt know any of them.

Jimmy Page (despite the fact Zep were a huge band) has always maintained a very low public and media profile, and Jeff Beck certainly isnt exactly a household name.

[Edited by Gazza]
March 2nd, 2005 02:23 PM
glencar I agree. I've no use for the Brit royal family but at 78, a woman has earned the right not to be aware of popsters. I'm guessing she'd know who Mick was though.
March 2nd, 2005 03:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Yes, but the reigning monarch must read newspapers once in awhile. But then again the Earth IS ruled by ignorant quacks.
March 2nd, 2005 04:19 PM
Hannalee Brian May says that the report is crap. Unfortunately, he won't shed any light on what WAS said.

I'm more inclined to wonder how the list was drawn up; it seems to include the people who've received honours (Daltrey, Clapton etc.) and various people who performed at the golden jubilee party, which could point to the fell hand of George Martin...
March 2nd, 2005 04:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Yes, but the reigning monarch must read newspapers once in awhile. But then again the Earth IS ruled by ignorant quacks.

going by what passes for journalism and how people become celebrities these days, I'd argue that remaining 'ignorant' can sometimes be quite an honourable thing.
March 2nd, 2005 04:26 PM
Gazza
quote:
Hannalee wrote:
Brian May says that the report is crap. Unfortunately, he won't shed any light on what WAS said.

I'm more inclined to wonder how the list was drawn up; it seems to include the people who've received honours (Daltrey, Clapton etc.) and various people who performed at the golden jubilee party, which could point to the fell hand of George Martin...

The day Geri bloody Halliwell gets any sort of 'honour' is the day I'll emigrate!
March 2nd, 2005 04:40 PM
Angiegirl Dutch media copied the story too.
March 2nd, 2005 06:01 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The day Geri bloody Halliwell gets any sort of 'honour' is the day I'll emigrate!

I have a spare room for you and your family!
March 2nd, 2005 09:03 PM
Soldatti I can't believe this, imagine the Queen asking Clapton about how much time he played guitar and Clapton say "45 years more or less...
March 3rd, 2005 01:40 AM
BILL PERKS WANKERS..F THE QUEEN
March 3rd, 2005 01:59 AM
corgi37 Well, i just saw the clip a short time ago on the midday news. Brian May was 1st. He apologised for making a racket on her roof. She said "Oh, that was you!"

Page was next. "What do you do?" - she did indeed ask! He said he was a guitar player too.

Clapton next - She said "You've been around for awhile havent you?" He said "I've been playing over 40 years".

Jeff Beck was just standing around like a dork, and she had absolutely no idea who he was.

Also, her stupid mummy's boy of a son is polluting my country right now. He's an embarrassement to the U.K., and all us, as we are too gutless and conservative to be a republic.

On the other hand, Prince Frederick and his Aussie bride Mary are here, and are stealing all of poor Charlies thunder.

Stealing all of their collective thunder is the Grand PRix cars which did a lap of Melbourne City streets yestderday and on show today. ALl of a sudden its "Royals? What Royals".

But, the main thunder is my brand new Epiphone SG i bought in Hong Kong. And, the 13" crash cymbal i bought off ebay for $15.00!

Ya'll should be able to hear the racket shortly!
March 3rd, 2005 06:16 AM
F505 The English queen has a lot of humour!
March 3rd, 2005 09:50 AM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Well, i just saw the clip a short time ago on the midday news. Brian May was 1st. He apologised for making a racket on her roof. She said "Oh, that was you!"

Page was next. "What do you do?" - she did indeed ask! He said he was a guitar player too.

Clapton next - She said "You've been around for awhile havent you?" He said "I've been playing over 40 years".

Jeff Beck was just standing around like a dork, and she had absolutely no idea who he was.

Also, her stupid mummy's boy of a son is polluting my country right now. He's an embarrassement to the U.K., and all us, as we are too gutless and conservative to be a republic.

On the other hand, Prince Frederick and his Aussie bride Mary are here, and are stealing all of poor Charlies thunder.

Stealing all of their collective thunder is the Grand PRix cars which did a lap of Melbourne City streets yestderday and on show today. ALl of a sudden its "Royals? What Royals".

But, the main thunder is my brand new Epiphone SG i bought in Hong Kong. And, the 13" crash cymbal i bought off ebay for $15.00!

Ya'll should be able to hear the racket shortly!

Most critics consider Brian May to be a better lead guitarist than Pete Townshend .

That being said , I would much rather pay two hundred dollars to see / hear ' The Petey ' than Brian May .

" Pete is a Great Showman Ronnie ! "

Jacky T. ™
March 3rd, 2005 10:13 AM
F505
quote:
Joey wrote:
Most critics consider Brian May to be a better lead guitarist than Pete Townshend .

That being said , I would much rather pay two hundred dollars to see / hear ' The Petey ' than Brian May .

" Pete is a Great Showman Ronnie ! "

Jacky T. ™

You mean Brian the Mophead? I would rather pay 1000 dollar to see Ringo Starr on guitar. Or even Ronnie Wood!
March 3rd, 2005 10:15 AM
FotiniD
quote:
F505 wrote:

You mean Brian the Mophead? I would rather pay 1000 dollar to see Ringo Starr on guitar. Or even Ronnie Wood!

Brian the Mophead or not, you try playing the solos this guy has played, making your own guitar out of an old fireplace and coming out with a guitar sound that's distinctively yours.
[Edited by FotiniD]
March 3rd, 2005 08:32 PM
corgi37 Brian May talks to posh to be a serous rock star.
March 3rd, 2005 09:14 PM
Gazza you ever heard Jimmy Page??? LOL

Not to mention Brian Jones or even Mick as he was back in the 60's before he developed that faux-cockney patois!
[Edited by Gazza]
March 3rd, 2005 09:49 PM
Soldatti Brian May was one of the best guitar players around, he plays amazing still.
March 4th, 2005 07:42 AM
Hannalee Only an Aussie would think Bri talked posh in the first place!

And I've happily forked out to hear him at the Brixton Academy on Easter Monday.
March 4th, 2005 10:36 AM
BILL PERKS JEFF BECK IS THE ONLY ONE I'D WANT TO TALK TO OF ANY OF THEM..ALL THESE OLD ROCKERS COZYIN UP TO THE ROYALS IS BLASPHEMY.
March 6th, 2005 06:12 PM
corgi37 I'm with ya, Bill Perks.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood