ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Jim Price - the "Kids nowadays ain't got no shame" sessions
© 1971 Ethan A. Russell
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Michael Putland Exhibition in Birmingham Return to archive
March 1st, 2005 01:04 PM
CS Photographs from the music archives of Michael Putland

12 February 2005 to 26 March 2005

Michael Putland didn't have a day off in the seventies. At least that's how it seemed to him at the time. And looking back, there's just no other way he could have assembled a photographic archive of such immense breadth and depth. His A to Z would wrap around a small village. Michael started photographing musicians in the late sixties. He really hit his stride in the seventies and by the mid eighties he had captured pretty much everyone of significance in the music business over the course of a twenty year career.

"My Generation" is Michael's first solo exhibition in the UK and will consist of around one hundred photographs which, as a body of work, represent a cross section of his career as a music photographer - From AC/DC to Frank Zappa, and back again, taking in Beefheart, Bowie, Bolan, Clapton, The Clash, Lennon, Arthur Lee, McCartney, Harrison, Hendrix, Rod Stewart, Brian Ferry, The Who,The Rolling Stones and many many others along the way. Michael has a very intimate and personal style of portraiture and combined this with a flair for live work. He is probably best known for his images of The Rolling Stones from their 1973 tour, many of which have been published in the lavish Genesis Publications limited edition book, "Pleased to meet you" , but he has a rich seam of material besides his Stones archive.

There are too many to mention individually, but some are very memorable - Jerry Hall on a private plane tucking into a copy of Playboy that features herself on the cover, Marc Bolan putting Micky Finn's make up on, John Lennon in the white room where the "Imagine" video was shot, Cat Stevens walking down a cobbled street in the rain, and many more.

Michael will be at the gallery all day on the opening Saturday, February 12th, so there's a great opportunity to have a glass of wine and a natter with him. We'll also be doing some extra special offers throughout the show, and there will be something for all pockets.

This is our first solo show of 2005 and leads off what promises to be a very exciting programme for Snap this year. We have solo shows for a number of photographers who have never held exhibitions of their work in this country before. We're majoring on the sixties and seventies in 2005, as we continue to uncover unsung heroes of the music genre from these two key decades that are screaming out to be put up on the walls for your viewing pleasure. We hope you enjoy Michael's exhibition and those that follow on.

The exhibition runs from 12 February to 26 March 2005 at Snap Galleries, Gibb Square, The Custard Factory, Birmingham B9 4AA. Opening hours 10.30am to 6.00pm Tuesday to Saturday,late nights on Thursday until 7.00 pm. Admission is free.

http://www.snapgalleries.com/atozexhibition.html
http://iorr.org
March 4th, 2005 07:44 PM
mac_daddy i see gimme shelter has a putland pic in his sig now, too...

i think putland is my favorite stones photographer. over liebowitz, tarle, and gruen. it helps that putland was around the band during my favorite stretch; i love mankewitz's(sp) pics, but they are not from my favorite period of the band, so they don't resonate as much with me as the putland ones do...

of all the genesis offerings, putland's pleased to meet you is my favorite...

if i lived anywhere remotely close to this exhibition, i would check it out.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood