ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Jim Price - the "Kids nowadays ain't got no shame" sessions
© 1971 Ethan A. Russell
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Openingsconcert new tour in SunDevil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
February 26th, 2005 08:55 AM
bootcover New rumours......

Look at the picture I saw on a Dutch stonesboard

[Edited by bootcover]
February 26th, 2005 09:10 AM
Gazza interesting

do you have the link?

surely they wouldnt have just posted that info without some kind of comment?

Two rumours in the last few days - at diagonally opposite ends of the country

..and both are stadiums, unfortunately....
February 26th, 2005 09:12 AM
bootcover Sorry no link, no source

It's from a guy who received a mail from an US friend who's friend works at the stadium....

[Edited by bootcover]
February 26th, 2005 09:45 AM
Bob Tamp If the opening is there, the tour ain't going to start until December. It reaches about 110 degrees during the day in the summer months and even high 80's and more the rest of the time.
February 26th, 2005 10:05 AM
Nellcote This might have legs...
The 2nd night of the LICKS tour was @ Gillette Stadium, which was the 1st concert at this new stadium.
Don't let the heat cloud your thoughts Bob Tamp, I think there is something to this...
WHERE IS SERGEY????
He was the "Deep Throat" of the LICKS tour, for those who recall...He may know..
February 26th, 2005 10:09 AM
Nellcote I'm off on my theroy, as the new stadium for the NFL Cardinals is not to open until sometime in '06....
February 26th, 2005 10:40 AM
Dan Doesnt that stadium hold like 80,000 people? They sold 47,056 in 1997 according to IORR, and that was at 1997 prices. I cant imagine them playing anywhere but the arena should they do Phoenix again.
February 26th, 2005 12:42 PM
Gazza Personally, I think the Stones would be insane to do stadiums again so soon after their last tour and especially if they're charging similar prices as last time.

There's a finite number of people who are going to be willing to pay through the nose to watch a show from 150 yards away, especially when theyve seen the show before and so many other major acts are playing arenas and with much smaller ticket prices.

Speaking for myself, I've zero interest in doing so.
February 26th, 2005 12:46 PM
littleredrooster This would be fantastic!
I like this rumor!
As an opening show, this would attract fans in greater numbers than 97.
Double bonus if true, Sir Roostah will be relocating to the Valley Of The Sun this summer!
It would truly be fitting for 'The Year Of The Rooster' !

February 26th, 2005 01:14 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Personally, I think the Stones would be insane to do stadiums again so soon after their last tour and especially if they're charging similar prices as last time.

There's a finite number of people who are going to be willing to pay through the nose to watch a show from 150 yards away, especially when theyve seen the show before and so many other major acts are playing arenas and with much smaller ticket prices.

Speaking for myself, I've zero interest in doing so.

We haven't seen a Rolling Stones tour in the past 30 years that hasn't included stadiums (except the concept tour of No Security which was just an extension of the Bridges to Babylon tour which already played the stadiums.)

Stadiums will be played. They will sell well enough because they will be placed and scheduled correctly.

Ian

February 26th, 2005 02:51 PM
ThatsWhatISay Gazza, don't forget about the new album which should be out by then. Those who are not willing to pay or those who have seen them on their last tour and don't wanna go again are substituted by people who are attracted by the new album.

It's always the same with the Stones...they are never the fast sellers like U2, McCartney, Michael Jackson, Madonna or whoever, but they sell out most shows anyway. This has a lot to do with the fan base they attract, mostly older people in their 40s and 50s, who don't feel such a hurry in purchasing tickets like Teenies.
I was never unhappy about the number of tickets they sold. They were always able to fill even those huge fields like in Germany holding approx. 100.000 people.
February 26th, 2005 03:17 PM
Joey " He was the "Deep Throat" of the LICKS tour, for those who recall...He may know.. "

<------------ There was no " Deep Throat " . It was a ' device ' created at the request of the publisher in order to sell the book " All The President's Mens " and subsequent movie .

I simply must disagree with you today ( ...on a Saturday no less ?!?! ) little buddy . Both Woodward and Bernstein INSIST that " Deep Throat " was a white male who had ' inside ' information about the horrors ( ... the horror ..... the horror ) going on inside the Nixon White House . Some say " Deep Throat " was then acting FBI Director L. Patrick Gray ( he lived three blocks from Woodward ) , but I believe it was Alexander Haig ( Woodward was in the Navy for five years and was a ' briefer ' for Haig at the Pentagon in the late 1960's ) --- Yes , they KNEW each other .

" Stones Rule ...................You BASTARDS ! "

JACKY HALDEMAN !

[ Edited by Joshy ]

[Edited by Joey]
February 26th, 2005 04:16 PM
JumpingKentFlash This is great if it's true. And the Sun Devil Stadium will be a cool place to start. I liked the idea of Licks with 3 shows in a city, but it could be even better if they did something like: Phoenix - Stadium, Philadelphia - Arena, Wahington - Theater, Horsens - Club........and so on. So only one show per city (Except the big ones of course). That would work.
February 26th, 2005 04:17 PM
glencar What was the otehr rumor, Gazza? I didn't catch it. Sun Devil is being rebuilt? The original stadium was the setting for the outdoor shots in "LSTNT."
February 26th, 2005 05:02 PM
Poplar
I too get the sense that the rumors are really starting to swirl. This can only mean good things! But yeah - some arena noise would be nice too ...
February 26th, 2005 05:51 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
What was the otehr rumor, Gazza? I didn't catch it.

the one about Fenway Park being thr opening venue (see the separate thread)
February 26th, 2005 05:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
We haven't seen a Rolling Stones tour in the past 30 years that hasn't included stadiums (except the concept tour of No Security which was just an extension of the Bridges to Babylon tour which already played the stadiums.)

NS actually (for the most part) targetted cities which hadnt hosted the BTB tour

I know theyve played stadiums in every North American tour (since 1972 actually), but I think they're becoming less of an attraction and harder to sell

quote:
Stadiums will be played. They will sell well enough because they will be placed and scheduled correctly.

Within reason, I think, ie in major cities like New York, Chicago etc. If there arent too many of them, they'll do OK but sales were very slow on their last US tour in stadiums. Theres a limit as to how many times you can sell tickets at high prices for a stadium tour, expecially for a band that now tours so regularly and whom basically everyone has seen, and they're approaching that.

February 26th, 2005 06:03 PM
Gazza
quote:
ThatsWhatISay wrote:
Gazza, don't forget about the new album which should be out by then. Those who are not willing to pay or those who have seen them on their last tour and don't wanna go again are substituted by people who are attracted by the new album.

I honestly dont believe that to be the case. New fans cant, for the most part, AFFORD Stones tickets, and I cant see too many people discovering the Rolling Stones with a new album through things like a hit single, radio airplay or round the clock rotation of a new video on MTV.

quote:
I was never unhappy about the number of tickets they sold. They were always able to fill even those huge fields like in Germany holding approx. 100.000 people.

always prior to the Licks tour, which was the first tour in Europe where they started charging the higher prices. However, those field shows still werent as expensive as tickets for the US shows or even seated tickets for the UK venues. They actually struggled badly with ticket sales in those German shows actually, until they added AC DC to the bill.

[Edited by Gazza]
February 26th, 2005 06:56 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
glencar wrote:
What was the otehr rumor, Gazza? I didn't catch it. Sun Devil is being rebuilt? The original stadium was the setting for the outdoor shots in "LSTNT."

No, same old Sun Devil Stadium.....BUT......The NEW Stadium, Cardinals Stadium for NFL Football in Glendale, AZ just NW of Phoenix proper, is presently under construction (opening Summer 2006 ) with a retractable roof and a playing field on wheels that runs on track outside the stadium like a huge plant box in order to keep the natural grass field healthy under the warm AZ sun....a first !!!
It's Cardinals Stadium for now but sponsers are being entertained!

Sunstroke Stadium
Coppertone Dome
Sunscreen Stadium
The Dehydration Dome

www.azcardinals.com

[Edited by littleredrooster]
February 26th, 2005 07:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
littleredrooster wrote:

No, same old Sun Devil Stadium.....BUT......The NEW Stadium, Cardinals Stadium for NFL Football in Glendale, AZ just NW of Phoenix proper, is presently under construction (opening Summer 2006 ) with a retractable roof and a playing field on wheels that runs on track outside the stadium like a huge plant box in order to keep the natural grass field healthy under the warm AZ sun....a first !!!
[Edited by littleredrooster]

I think they did something like that with one of the Japanese stadiums built for the 2002 World Cup. Amazing.
February 26th, 2005 07:16 PM
littleredrooster A SECOND!!!
February 26th, 2005 07:18 PM
ThatsWhatISay @Gazza There is a lot of thruth in what you write...
But let's see and wait. If the new album is out and the teens and twens out there get familiar with the name "Rolling Stones" through MTV or radio they might be taken to the concerts by their dads or whomever if they can't afford it themselves. Besides there are not only poor young people out there! ;-) All in all I'm pretty confident they album will have positive effects on ticket sales. Anything else doesn't make much sense. It gives them at least some media attention.
Also lots of people might realize by then that this could really be the last time the Stones will tour the world in this huge scaled format. This might drag more people to the concerts. IMO the Licks Tour didn't have this "Farewell-Feeling", but I'm rather sure the next tour will have it.

[Edited by ThatsWhatISay]
February 26th, 2005 07:27 PM
gotdablouse Same as Gazza here, unless it's announced as the last show they'll ever play I'm not going to see them (or anyone else for that matter) in a stadium anymore ! Even Pacbell in 2002 which is a "smaller" stadium was pretty pathetic seen from the closest seats available, good thing I was able to see them at the Oakland Arena a few days later in $300 seats that I paid $100.
February 26th, 2005 08:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
ThatsWhatISay wrote:
@Gazza There is a lot of thruth in what you write...
But let's see and wait. If the new album is out and the teens and twens out there get familiar with the name "Rolling Stones" through MTV or radio they might be taken to the concerts by their dads or whomever if they can't afford it themselves. Besides there are not only poor young people out there! ;-) All in all I'm pretty confident they album will have positive effects on ticket sales. Anything else doesn't make much sense. It gives them at least some media attention.
Also lots of people might realize by then that this could really be the last time the Stones will tour the world in this huge scaled format. This might drag more people to the concerts. IMO the Licks Tour didn't have this "Farewell-Feeling", but I'm rather sure the next tour will have it.

[Edited by ThatsWhatISay]

To the Stones' credit, they've never tried to hype ticket sales by hinting that it could be their farewell tour

The press and public have done that by themselves. One of these days they'll finally get their prediction right!

However, I think the "this could be the last time" nonsense is long played out and basically anyone who has wanted to see the Stones once in their life has had ample opportunity to do so. I don't see it as being the big selling opportunity that it used to be, even though I genuinely believe it WILL be their last tour anyway as I have my doubts as to whether they'll exist in, say, five years time
[Edited by Gazza]
February 26th, 2005 08:15 PM
glencar Yeah, this will be the last time. I don't see too many stadium performances either. The US economy is strong but the market for the Stones is past its peak. Of course, it's possible that tours by the otehr old codgers could get certain people in the mood for going to concerts again but that's dubious at best.
February 26th, 2005 09:20 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Same as Gazza here, unless it's announced as the last show they'll ever play I'm not going to see them (or anyone else for that matter) in a stadium anymore ! Even Pacbell in 2002 which is a "smaller" stadium was pretty pathetic seen from the closest seats available, good thing I was able to see them at the Oakland Arena a few days later in $300 seats that I paid $100.

4th row PacBell 1, 19th row PacBell 2, Oakland 5th row
All floors, great sound at all 3 shows !!

HARDLY pathetic!

Stadiums? Bad?
Ask Gazza how the Twickenham '1' show sounded from our seats in about the 11th row center!

HARDLY pathetic!

Rooooostah has CROWED!
February 26th, 2005 09:42 PM
Soldatti I'm sure that they will promote the new album very hard, this time the new album is important for the tour and they will put effort on it. This album will sell very well IMO, it's the first studio album on 8 years and maybe the last one, they can do all type of promotion with this.
February 26th, 2005 10:22 PM
Dan The best advantage to a stadium tour would be cheap tickets - in the parking lot if not from Ticketmaster. Thats the sole reason I would hope for a stadium tour as I am not going to have a few grand to drop this time around.
February 26th, 2005 10:56 PM
Gazza
quote:
littleredrooster wrote:

4th row PacBell 1, 19th row PacBell 2, Oakland 5th row
All floors, great sound at all 3 shows !!

HARDLY pathetic!

Stadiums? Bad?
Ask Gazza how the Twickenham '1' show sounded from our seats in about the 11th row center!

HARDLY pathetic!

it was indeed excellent where we were (and a fine show too), but I wouldnt have fancied paying £85 ($160) to watch the show through binoculars or on a screen 100 yards away with questionable sound.

If youre in the front few rows for a Stones show in any venue, it's going to be a fantastic experience in every way (if it isnt, then you should have your pulse checked to make sure you're still alive!)

Being way back, and at those prices and with the sort of setlists you get in stadiums, just ain't worth the trip for me, personally.
February 27th, 2005 01:50 AM
littleredrooster
quote:
Gazza wrote:

it was indeed excellent where we were (and a fine show too), but I wouldnt have fancied paying £85 ($160) to watch the show through binoculars or on a screen 100 yards away with questionable sound.

If youre in the front few rows for a Stones show in any venue, it's going to be a fantastic experience in every way (if it isnt, then you should have your pulse checked to make sure you're still alive!)

Being way back, and at those prices and with the sort of setlists you get in stadiums, just ain't worth the trip for me, personally.

Can't disagree about the high prices or the distances at Stadium shows.
My above response was to the fact that the poster said he was close and it wasn't good at three particular shows that I attended.
They all were good performances.
Licks afforded the opportunities to see many shows, maybe too many?
Give me upfront at Vredenberg, Astoria, Aragon, or Wiltern ANYTIME!
Those shows were gifts!
I'd still 'suffer' through a Stadium or two this time around, hopefully opening night in Tempe!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood