ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Jim Price - the "Kids nowadays ain't got no shame" sessions
© 1971 Ethan A. Russell
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Williams Legacy (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 15th, 2005 06:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels What think ye of .....

Hank Williams
Hank Williams Jr.
Hank III

Hank III's sister has just fallen out of the woodwork too. I don't know much about her but I wish her luck.

February 15th, 2005 06:36 PM
Nellcote I think Ted Williams is not "thawing" anytime soon...
February 15th, 2005 06:46 PM
stonedinaustralia hank williams = sublime

hank williams junior = ridiculous

hank willimas III - haven't heard anyhting (for shame) but all reports suggest it is a classic example of the phenomenon whereby genes skip a generation
February 15th, 2005 07:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
hank willimas III - haven't heard anyhting (for shame) but all reports suggest it is a classic example of the phenomenon whereby genes skip a generation

Actually he may be the greatest drinking song writer of all time.....provided he keeps it up.
February 15th, 2005 11:02 PM
polksalad69
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
hank williams = sublime

hank williams junior = ridiculous

true dat!!!

you can hear a bunch of III here:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree

going to see the man Sunday night.
February 15th, 2005 11:14 PM
stonedinaustralia thanks for the link polksalad69

how about a review of the show??
February 15th, 2005 11:42 PM
polksalad69
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
thanks for the link polksalad69

how about a review of the show??

I'll see what I can do. I should have photographic evidence at the very least.
February 16th, 2005 05:40 AM
Phog I caught Hank III live about a year ago. He does a half country/half metal show. It was pretty good, especially the country portion. The kid looks and sounds like his grandpa. I've only heard a tiny bit of his sister's stuff. It wasn't too impressive.
February 16th, 2005 05:49 AM
telecaster
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
What think ye of .....

Hank Williams
Hank Williams Jr.
Hank III

Hank III's sister has just fallen out of the woodwork too. I don't know much about her but I wish her luck.

Hank Jr had a sister fall out of the woodwork also

Jett Williams. Hank III's aunt

Seems Hank Sr was a rolling stone, so to speak
February 16th, 2005 05:50 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
What think ye of .....

Hank Williams
Hank Williams Jr.
Hank III

Hank Sr - after Bob Dylan, probably the most important songwriter of the 20th Century. And with the arguable exception of Johnny Cash, the greatest country artist of all time.

Hank Jr - I think he must have been adopted

Hank III - pretty good from what I've heard. Quite a wit!
February 16th, 2005 05:56 AM
telecaster "Hank Sr - after Bob Dylan, probably the most important songwriter of the 20th Century."

Gazza?

?????????????????

Dylan?????????????

Bob Dylan?

February 16th, 2005 06:49 AM
Gazza who else
February 16th, 2005 07:11 AM
telecaster
quote:
Gazza wrote:
who else

Hoagie Carmichael (most recorded songwriter in history)
Jagger/Richards
Lennon/McCartney
Bruce Springsteen
John Fogerty
Irving Berlin
Cole Porter
Willie Nelson
Johnny Cash
Chuck Berry
Sammy Cohn
Peter Townsend
Scott Joplin
Robert Johnson
Page/Plant
Yani
Jimi Hendrix
David Hasselhoff
Don Johnson
Gilbert/Sullivan
Jackie Gleason

What did Dylan/Zimmerman ever write that is so important?

I know he wrote 1 or 2 songs in 64-66 that were recorded
by other people but what else?

He is the most overrated "artist" in history

February 16th, 2005 07:15 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Drawl in the Family

Detroit Metrotimes
Feb 16 2005

Sex. Drugs. Rock ’n’ roll. It’s a regular laundry list of hackneyed exultations. Be that as it may, Hank Williams III is certainly no stranger to them. I know because I’ve seen his tackle box. He won’t catch many fish with what’s in it, but he could keep a gaggle of addled strippers and roadhouse lackeys entertained for a couple weeks. Think Hunter’s suitcase in Fear & Loathing.

“Oh, yeah, I’m always into the girls who like to do that. I got my little collection for sure,” Williams says smirking, talking vaguely about the toxic tackle box. He pauses for a moment when asked to share a particularly debauched road anecdote. There must be a ton to run over in his mind.

“We had fucking David Allan Coe and [the late] Dimebag [Darrell] come out to a show. Tons of coke, tons of strippers, making a lot of music and fucking, doing a lot of fucking. And doing a lot of singing, doing a lot of screaming. The sheriffs were asking us to leave after a lot of shit broke out. It’s hard to tell. I don’t know, man. I can’t go into all the details,” he says.

ADVERTISEMENT

Williams’ drawl carries with it the unmistakable echo of his granddaddy, the first Hank, and like his father and friends such as David Allan Coe, Hank is the proverbial iconoclast who bleeds rebel red. While he has cashed in — to some limited extent — on his pedigree, he’s certainly done it, uh, his way. On stage, he follows up his crooning country sets (which are peppered with numbers by Waylon Jennings, George Jones and, of course, Hank Sr.) with loud aggressive, metal shots by his other band, Assjack.

“I could’ve taken the easy way, but I chose not to, man. My dad was a really rich man and I was only around him a couple times a year. You know, and it’d be like going to see Fantasy Land or something whenever I was around. My mom worked 9 to 5 every day, and I saw how hard my momma’s side of the family worked. Then I see how people were just trying to do music to make it a scheme and make their money, and that’s all they cared about. I don’t know. The real people who play music in the end do it for the sake of doing it. That’s kind of our thing,” he says.

“I could be the nice clean Wrangler-wearing guy trying to be George Strait or whatever. But that’s not me. I believe there needs to be a whole new generation of outlaws. The way I talk and the way I do my thing is not the easiest way to get by. I’ve been lucky enough to tour 10 years on the road until I had to file bankruptcy. And in 10 years I’ll probably be doing the same thing again,” he says with a morbid little chuckle.

The bankruptcy was Williams’ means of escaping his contract with Curb Records. Recounting the label shenanigans would take an entire chapter, but suffice it to say Williams has had very little creative control, and because of the legal stalemate with the label he has only two albums to show for his decade in the business. But after more than two years in court, the end seems near, and Williams will finally be able to release a new album, tentatively (and aptly) titled either Thrown Out of the Bar or Not Everyone Likes Us. Though, he has yet to sign a new record deal.

“We’re still doing some figuring out with the lawsuit. But it’s coming along, man. I’ve been working on the new record. It’s basically done. It should be out pretty fucking soon, though I don’t know who it’s going to be out with or any of that bullshit. But it should be here soon, the way we want to do it,” he says, before admitting, less hopefully, “I’ll believe it when I see it. That’s kind of the deal.”

Williams played in a number of metal and punk bands in his youth, primarily as a drummer, until he was 20. He might have kept on that way, but it seems Williams had himself a very expensive one-night stand in the early ’90s that came home to roost in the form of $45,000 in back child support. Curb Records, the label home to Tim McGraw and LeAnn Rimes, came to the rescue, putting out Three Hanks: Men With Broken Hearts, which, thanks to studio wizardry, brought together the Williams singing clan.

His relationship with the son he had to “sell out” to pay for hasn’t fared so well.

“She’s [the mother] remarried, and her dad’s a fucking cop, so I could go to court and try to get visitation rights, and they could make me look like the biggest fucking drug addict, alcoholic motherfucker in the world. But I don’t have basically anything to do with him because they’ve been totally uncool about it in every way possible,” he says. “I’m not in a good position to be any kind of a father right now; I can barely take care of my fucking self. It’s just one of them things, but I make sure they have what they need.”

Of course, as Williams readily admits, the band enforces a pretty hardy kick-up-yer-boots regimen. He tells of a fan who slipped him an acid Mickey Finn while in concert. He stayed up for nearly 72 hours.

“They just gave me a shot of whiskey that had fucking a lot of liquid acid in it. I got through it. I took like eight Xanax, still couldn’t go to sleep. Then at like 9 in the morning I was like, ‘Fuck it, I’m just going to start going back up,’” he says.

What’s a country-metal star to do on a brutal morning of gig? Why, get a tat, of course.

“I got drilled on for about four hours in the tattoo chair and then went and freaked out at CBGBs. Definitely that show is where I had planned on tripping. I was up a day later still feeling the effects of it. But, whatever. I was more concerned about the country voice and being able to sing because I was already hoarse.”

The condition of his voice is something to worry about with so much touring that sees nightly triple-shots of country crooning, guttural metal growling and enthusiastic debauchery.

“Nobody can do what we do, switching it up live between country and metal, or whatever the fuck I am. I can only do that for a while. When I hit 50 it’s over for me. That’s my deal,” he says. “Yep — gonna kill myself out here as long as I can. And then enjoy a little life on the other side.”

February 16th, 2005 07:32 AM
Gazza
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Hoagie Carmichael (most recorded songwriter in history)
Jagger/Richards
Lennon/McCartney
Bruce Springsteen
John Fogerty
Irving Berlin
Cole Porter
Willie Nelson
Johnny Cash
Chuck Berry
Sammy Cohn
Peter Townsend
Scott Joplin
Robert Johnson
Page/Plant
Yani
Jimi Hendrix
David Hasselhoff
Don Johnson
Gilbert/Sullivan
Jackie Gleason

What did Dylan/Zimmerman ever write that is so important?

I know he wrote 1 or 2 songs in 64-66 that were recorded
by other people but what else?

He is the most overrated "artist" in history

we'll agree to differ on grounds of personal taste. I could make the same argument as you do about Robert Johnson, but with more credibility perhaps as Robert Johnson only wrote and recorded about 25 songs in his career, all recorded in one year.

How many great songs did Chuck Berry write apart from a spell of a couple of years in the late 50's? Most of these people had similar bursts of greatness

I'd give you some credit for Hoagy, Porter or Berlin, but I personally feel Dylan is more 'important' culturally as opposed to their talent for being prolific, great though they undoubtedly were.

There's a different emphasis on greatness than 'importance', the latter of which was my point.

I didnt include Lennon/McCartney etc as I was referring to individuals

BTW - you should have added Woody Guthrie to that list.
[Edited by Gazza]
February 16th, 2005 08:20 AM
telecaster Gazza you said he was the most "important" songwriter in history. Come to the US, listen to the radio for two weeks straight 24/7 and you may hear one or two Dylan songs recorded by him or someone else. I have a feeling he is more popular/revered in Europe than in the US

"we'll agree to differ on grounds of personal taste. I could make the same argument as you do about Robert Johnson, but with more credibility perhaps as Robert Johnson only wrote and recorded about 25 songs in his career, all recorded in one year."

True. Because he died. (Dying early is the greatest career move ever) RJ influenced, almost drove an entire style of music. What has Dylan written in the last 30 years that is considered important?

"How many great songs did Chuck Berry write apart from a spell of a couple of years in the late 50's? Most of these people had similar bursts of greatness"

Berry had more influence than Dylan because he created/wrote an entire style of guitar playing and style of music that influenced rock for generations.

"I'd give you some credit for Hoagy, Porter or Berlin, but I personally feel Dylan is more 'important' culturally as opposed to their talent for being prolific, great though they undoubtedly were."

"Culturally" translates into a bunch of stoned hippies in the 60's sitting around on bean-bag chairs talking about how culturally important Dylan is/was who are now hippies in their 50's and 60's still stoned talking about how important Dylan is. Doesn't translate very well

Gazza outside of "Blowin In The Wind" and "Like A Rolling Stone" what great songs did he write that could be considered important? 70's, 80's 90's 00's?

I know, I know, the man is a poet etc

I just don't think he is an important songwriter

February 16th, 2005 08:28 AM
Fiji Joe What think I of the Williams legacy?...it is clear to me that talent skips a generation
February 16th, 2005 08:30 AM
Gazza I'd agree that culturally Dylan's best work was in the 60's - even if his best album was actually released in the '70's

he only influenced a few stoned hippies? Come on. Look at what rock songwriting was before and what it morphed into afterwards. I'd imagine if you put it to Mick or Keith that Dylan influenced the WAY they wrote songs, you'd get a pretty enthusiastic answer. I dont think Lennon and McCartney would have progressed quite the same either.
February 16th, 2005 08:44 AM
telecaster
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
What think I of the Williams legacy?...it is clear to me that talent skips a generation

I always enjoyed that solo album Anson Williams from
"Happy Days" recorded

Ditto Wendy O Williams

And Andy Williams

I draw the line at Paul Williams
February 16th, 2005 08:49 AM
Gazza Do I sense a "Williams" list?

Greats :

Hank Sr
Lucinda
J.P.R. (Welsh rugby legend)

Not quite greats:
Robin
Cleveland
Anson
February 16th, 2005 09:11 AM
telecaster
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Do I sense a "Williams" list?

Greats :

Hank Sr
Lucinda
J.P.R. (Welsh rugby legend)

Not quite greats:
Robin
Cleveland
Anson

Vanessa Williams

John Williams (Star Wars)

Ted Williams

Dylan Williams Zimmerman
February 16th, 2005 11:06 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
Williams the Penn
Williams the Lion Hearted
February 16th, 2005 11:22 AM
Bloozehound
Don Williams

Robin Williams

February 16th, 2005 03:15 PM
PolkSalad Lil Ed Williams
February 16th, 2005 03:22 PM
Barney Fife Quit pussy footin' around!

Come on over!

http://64.247.23.87/phpBB2/index.php

February 21st, 2005 10:20 AM
polksalad69 2005-02-20 @ Joe's, Chicago

[Edited by polksalad69]
February 24th, 2005 01:43 AM
Barney Fife Joe Buck could easily kick Micky Jaguar's ass!
February 24th, 2005 07:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Hank Williams to be resurrected in tribute show

By MaryAnn Kromer, mkromer@advertiser-tribune. com

Country music fans are invited to a unique live production that traces the life, music and influence of the legendary Hank Williams. "Hank and My Honky Tonk Heroes" starring Jason Petty will hit the Ritz Theatre stage at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

What makes the program unusual is its 33-year-old star doubles as the author of the show. Petty researched everything about Williams and spoke to every surviving person who knew the country artist. "Heroes"Ole Opry ran for 116 performances over nine months in 2004 in a Branson, Mo. theater before beginning the 2005 tour.
Petty took a break from rehearsals with "a couple of hot new Nashville band members" to do a phone interview earlier this week. Petty explained that he earned a business degree at the Knoxville campus of the University of Tennessee. He took a job with Pfizer Chemical and sang in his church choir.

Fellow choir members included coaches, directors and producers of shows at former Opryland music park. They heard Petty's voice and invited him to perform in the shows on weekends. He took some lessons to learn guitar for the shows.

"One of the shows was a country music, historical revue. We had several cast members who were pretty astute at doing impersonations of country music stars. One of the impersonations that I did was Hank Williams. The director of that musical play 'Lost Highway' saw me. They were getting ready to bring the show into the old Ryman Auditorium that used to be the home of the Grand Ol Opry. He cast me as the lead in that show."

While playing at the Ryman and doing shows in Williams' hometown of Montgomery, Ala., Petty felt Hank's spirit was present with him on stage. That may have helped inspire Petty to become a full-time entertainer.

"Lost Highway" was staged all over the U.S., including a one-year, off-Broadway run in New York City. For his performance, Petty won an Obie award for "Lead Actor in a Musical." Petty also credits his agents and management for his success.

"That was a great experience for a country boy like me, to be in New York and do really well. I had my doubts about the hard-core country story. But it's really a great story, Hank Williams' life," Petty said.

Early exposure to country music while growing up also played a role in Petty's interest in country music. When his mother died, Petty moved in with his grandparents who lived in rural Tennessee, about 35 miles outside of Nashville. Every weekend they took their produce to sell at the Nashville Farmers' Market and stayed for the programs at the Grand Ole Opry.

"They would go to the Opry on Saturday night. For a quarter, they could get in to see all the greats like Minnie Pearl, Roy Acuff, Ernest Tubbs, Bill Monroe and Hank Williams. When I grew up on their farm, they used to sing that music all around the house," Petty recalled. "My grandmother was the singer of the family. That's where I got my interest for it - that and being raised in the shadow of the Grand Ole Opry. There's no getting away from it."

The new show Petty has written encompasses Williams' life, the history of country music that influenced him, and the artists who drew heavily from Williams' style and compositions. They included country singers such as George Jones, Webb Pierce and Allen Jackson, as well as rock artists such as Elvis Presley. Besides the Ritz show, the band will play at nine other venues in February.

In writing the "Heroes" show, Petty said the story "just flowed." He incorporated what his grandparents had told him and did "tons" of additional research. He has been to Williams' grave site several times. He spoke to Williams' friend, songwriter Merle Kilgore, who just died on Feb. 7, 2005. One of Williams' original band members even plays on one of Petty's CDs.

"I met everybody that ever worked with him," Petty said. "I've been everywhere that Hank's been and then some ... Country Weekly, the magazine, followed us (to the grave site) and did a big write-up on us several years ago. They have a Hank Williams festival down there on his birthday, Sept. 17, and they have a graveside vigil on New Year's Day, the day that he passed away. We've been down there for both of those."

The show was launched last year in Branson, Mo. The band spent the season at Moe Bandy's Theater where they did an afternoon show. In the evening, Petty performed in Bandy's show. Petty said he wrote this show specifically with the Branson venue in mind.

Its success there prompted the management agency in Los Angeles to put it on the road. Petty was willing to take it "to every town in America" and will spend this year trying to do just that. The main part of the tour will take place in the summer months. Petty said he is honored to be educating the public about his musical forefathers.

"A lot of the old guys are passing on. This show helps carry on the real legacy that they built," Petty said.

The Ritz audience can expect to see Petty narrating the show that focuses on Hank Williams. Petty has included stories about Williams' wife, who inspired many of the songs, Williams' mother, his debut at the Grand Ole Opry, and his "fall from grace" and early death at age 29 in 1953.

"We talk about how he influenced country and rock 'n' roll. We perform a lot of songs from people that have been directly influenced by him. It's a wonderfully tragic tale. The music that all these guys wrote is just so great," Petty said. "Hank is named the most influential figure in country music. Every poll that ever comes out has him at the top of the list."

Petty will render such Williams hits as "Your Cheatin' Heart," "Hey Good Lookin'" and "I'm So Lonesome." He will be backed by a four-piece "rockin' little band" that will include fiddle, string "doghouse" bass, traditional steel guitar and electric guitar. Petty will provide acoustic guitar and vocals. The band has no drummer. This is a tradition fans may not know about.

"Back in the old days at the Opry, doing the radio programs that made country so great back in the 30s, 40s and 50s, they didn't allow drummers on stage because they didn't have a good way to mike the drums where it wouldn't drown out everything else you heard on the radio. All groups pretty much traveled without a drummer, until about the mid-1950s when rock 'n' roll came around," Petty explained.

Williams is enshrined in both the country and rock 'n' roll music halls of fame. Petty even sat on a panel with some of Williams' band members at the Cleveland museum some years ago.

In addition to "Heroes," Petty writes and records original music. He will be recording a second CD "with me as me" in the coming months. Another CD with music from the show will be on sale during the performance. Petty said even his solo recordings will include some of the "old" songs.

"It's going to be a fun year. All of us are very excited about the show. I'm really looking forward to it," Petty said.

February 25th, 2005 12:13 PM
Bloozehound I think III was using Joeys avatar a while back, and voodoo cut him off

lol!
February 25th, 2005 04:15 PM
Starbuck actually, TTM, its Richard the Lion Hearted.

(or is it lisa lionheart? d'oh!)

tele, did i actually hear you say dylan isn't an important songwriter?

WTF?!?!?!

i could make a dylan list, a list of dylan's most influential songs, but i don't think they have a number that high.

dylan scratches his head and thinks to himself, "what the #!$% is tele talking about?!"
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood