ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Press conference, Tokyo March 7, 2003
/Shizuo Kambayashi/AP Photo
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Damnit!...I said Voodoo Lounge Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-03-03 08:16 PM
Fiji Joe One of the best albums the Stones have ever made...I'm pissed it took me so long to come to this realization...

All get together and #$&* all night!
03-03-03 08:30 PM
nankerphelge It is a great one -- easy to overlook, but has all the variety, great sound, interesting instrumentation, and the devil head

<------ oh no, my head's gone again!

And backed by an awesome tour!

What's the problem!?
[Edited by nankerphelge]
03-03-03 08:42 PM
Joey It really is a wonderful album , isn't it my Fiji ? Then again , so is " Bridges to Babylon " .................and " Steel Wheels " .................and " Stripped Companion " . Oh Hell , all of their albums are great except for the horrific " Dirty Work " disc which is THE definition of a " Crap " album and literally tore the band asunder , whilst your young Joey shuddered at the thought of life without the " Rolling Stones " !!!!!!

Remember that link someone posted last week which lists every single track the Stones have yet to perform in concert --- Did everyone see the " Dirty Work " section ????????? 7/8ths of the tracks have yet to be performed in concert by the boys and shall never be ........................I have now upset my self so much that I must leave immediately and expurgate my bowels .

Developing ................

Literally .................

Gypsy , Joey unable to come over and " play " tonight .

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ JOESKEE }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
03-03-03 08:49 PM
Nellcote Dirty Work Rocks.
More Bobby Womack background vocals, please.
03-03-03 08:50 PM
Joey " Dirty Work Rocks.
More Bobby Womack background vocals, please. "

Nelcotte .............You make Joey sad .
03-03-03 09:03 PM
Martha Thanks Fiji...Voodoo Lounge now on my must buy next list!
03-03-03 09:15 PM
Scot Rocks Voodoo Lounge kicks ass, will be remembered in time as a Stones classic, just like Dirty Work!!!

I love every Stones album in a way, there is always something I like on each one.

STONES!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Mark
03-03-03 09:30 PM
shanower Voodoo Lounge is a good record but it could have been even better. Of the songs that actually made the record, there are better outtake versions, particularly of You Got Me Rocking. Disc 1 of Voodoo Brew is an Alternate Voodoo Lounge that has some great versions, including a really raw, loud version of You Got Me Rocking that blows away the one on the final album. I've heard that they recorded the album in Ireland at Ronnie's place and then went to LA to do overdubs and mixing. While I still like the released versions of many songs, I prefer the more stripped down versions from Ireland before they got overdubbed to death. Also, I think there are some great outtakes that if they had replaced some of the weaker songs would have made it the hardest rocking album they ever did. I think if Jump On Top of Me, The Storm, Honest Man, Zip Mouth Angel, You Got It Made and a few other outtakes would have replaced Blinded By Rainbows, New Faces, Sweethearts Together, Moon Is Up and Out of Tears then Voodoo Lounge would have been unbelievable. I like the Keith ballads, but I'm not such a big fan of Mick's ballads, particularly Blinded by Rainbows. Put a few rockers (and there were some great ones on the cutting room floor, just check out Voodoo Brew and Voodoo Stew, the two 4 CD sets of outtakes) on in place of the aforementioned tunes and you would have one of their best albums. Those of you who like the tunes I'd like to cut, please don't bite my head off, it's just my opinion, misguided as you may find it.
03-03-03 09:34 PM
steel driving hammer Question is...

Will the next Stones studio album be better than Voodoo?

They are maturing so well it's hard to believe, it really is.

With what I just said, they are maturing so well it's hard to believe; that could of been said in 1981 w/ Tattoo You.

It's amazing how do they still do it.

The song Start Me Up is old enough to buy itself a beer!

03-03-03 09:44 PM
Gimme Shelter "I love every Stones album in a way, there is always something I like on each one."

Right on!!!!! I agree. Every Stones album has something special, no matter which one.

03-03-03 09:46 PM
Scottfree
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
The song Start Me Up is old enough to buy itself a beer!

I'll listen to it all night, or any others if they buy me a beer...
[Edited by Scottfree]
03-03-03 10:14 PM
LadyJane Well it's about f*&ckin' time!!

Voodoo Lounge is a great recording! Proof positive that the Stones did NOT stop putting out excellent material after 1981!!

I can put it on and listen to the whole thing without skipping a song. From the raunchy grooves of "Love is Strong", "You Got Me Rockin'" and the much underappreciated "I Go Wild" to the very touching "Blinded by Rainbows" and "Out of Tears" (beautiful piano by Mick) this is some good shit!! AND it produced two of Keith's best--"The Worst" and "Thru and Thru". Hell I even like "Sweethearts Together". It reminds of me of some of the early stuff ala "Take It or Leave It".

LadyJ.

03-03-03 10:20 PM
parmeda Feej!
Martha!

Where have you been?
What were you guys thinking? ...LOL
03-03-03 10:28 PM
Sir Stonesalot I love Voodoo Lounge.

But it does have the single worst lyric ever on any Stones album....even worse than the crap on Emotional Rescue...

*****Sharks will cry*****

What were they thinking?
03-03-03 10:33 PM
parmeda LOL SS...
You really can't stand ER, can ya?
03-03-03 10:46 PM
Boomhauer Yeah, "sharks will cry" is very dumb..

Although, the other line in that song just cancels it out!
03-03-03 10:50 PM
Sir Stonesalot I wanna fuck your sweet ass?

Well, I sure as hell hoipe that Mick wasn't, like, speaking to ME...you know?

I think he was talking to SDH.
03-03-03 11:07 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Ehh... Bridges is better. "Brand New Car" is boring, "Moon Is Up" and "New Faces" are equally forgettable, "Sparks Will Fly" bosts downright McCartney-esque lyrics, "Blinded By Rainbows" just doesn't cut it - too power-poppy, too out-and-out "I hate war and Jesus is my bossman". Judging from the few outtakes I've heard from this session, there was a *much much better* album waiting in the wings. As it is, this one's alright, but its ratio of "killer to filler" isn't as good as Bridges.

-tSYX --- You gotta mean disposition...
03-03-03 11:16 PM
Fiji Joe Well I would agree that You Got Me Rocking was one over-production from Brown Sugar 2...and So Young and Jump on Top of Me should have been on the disc...but like Martha said..an excellent post 81 album

I see it as a microcosim of their entire career...some of these songs would have been right at home on Between the Button or Beggar's Banquet

Who said they don't have Vodoo yet?...PM me and I think I can go you one better
03-03-03 11:40 PM
full moon Voodoo is great........ It has all the different aspects of the Stones and really flows from start to finish.....I love it!!
03-04-03 12:11 AM
gypsy I made myself several mixed CD's with my favorite songs off of every Stones CD. That way, I don't have to listen to the stuff I think is crap.

WTF, Joey? That makes three nights in a row that you've cancelled on me. Is it your man friend, Rob? You know--the one you took with you to Denver. Or is it that damn sheep-llama hybrid you've been working on? The one with soft wool and liquid black eyes like a llama?
My mind is just racing...I feel sick.
03-04-03 12:41 AM
Child of the Moon I really dig Voodoo Lounge, and it tends to get better with time. The only problem I have with it is the fact that the rockers do mostly sound alike. If I could take apart that album and put it back together again (with fewer tracks, perhaps), it'd look something like this...

Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Zip Mouth Angel
Out of Tears
Honest Man
Blinded By Rainbows
The Storm
Thru and Thru

Not that I don't like the other tracks, but this would, for me, be one killer Voodoo Lounge.
03-04-03 01:00 AM
nankerphelge Whachu talking about sheep llama hybrid?

Joey, goddam it, I thought you swore off your cloning experiments? Look at what happened to Dolly!!

Oh but the eyes -- those deep dark eyes!
I forgive you Joey.
(Make me a copy will ya!?)
03-04-03 02:23 AM
gypsymofo60 This is all pure conjecture on my behalf, but what the hell? ......I think if Voodoo Lounge had been a vinyl record(9 or 10 songs rather than the bloated 15), it just might have been hailed as something really special. I think when The Stones released Dirty Work, and Steel Wheels, they were still aiming at a VINYL fan base, that generation who hadn't quite embraced the CD format. People like me, of course using myself as an analogy is prolly really stupid. I just feel that VL may have been their first real stab at filling an album up with more than 9 or 10 songs, at least without having a wealth of material ready ala Exile, or I'm told ('Some Girls', which apparently was nearly released as a double LP). Most of the record is great, and IMO really great! but some of it, just a few pale in comparisson. Anyway, that's my theory.
03-04-03 08:54 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Zip Mouth Angel
Out of Tears
Honest Man
Blinded By Rainbows
The Storm
Thru and Thru

Hmmm...

Replace "Moon Is Up" with "So Young".
Replace "Blinded By Rainbows" with "I Go Wild".
Replace "Sparks Will Fly" with "Mean Disposition" (best damn song no one heard - that coulda been single material)

And that might work out.

-tSYX --- Mean dispotion...
03-04-03 09:28 AM
jb Kansas City is not what I would call a trend setting town.
03-04-03 09:33 AM
Fiji Joe But ah yes Josh, that armpit of South Florida you live in, where the demographics mimic the retirement home that my grandmother wasted away in, is quite the model for the rest of the country...Gimme a break...no one goes to South Florida unless they're...well, I don't have to tell you, do I?

You're better off picking a fight with someone else...I'll tear your butt limb from limb
03-04-03 09:46 AM
jb Remember Fiji, I always win!
03-04-03 10:02 AM
Maxlugar Voodoo Lounge is one of the greatest albums that THE Greatest rock and roll band in the world ever made.

It is in my top five Stones albums of all time.

Joey is not a Rolling Stones fan so his opinions do not matter.

03-04-03 10:05 AM
jb Vl is slightly inferior to Dirty Works.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST