ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Press conference, Tokyo March 7, 2003
/Shizuo Kambayashi/AP Photo
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Nils Lofgren Return to archive
03-03-03 06:29 PM
SERGEI Has anyone heard Nils version of Happy from his album I Came to Dance? Is it good?

cheers
03-03-03 08:45 PM
Nellcote I will take loads of crap for saying this.
Nils Lofgren is a very unappreciated solo artist.
His fire and passion with those 80's albums is great.
Played with Neil Young on several albums, tours
Story goes he wanted to play in the Stones, he wrote
"Keith Don't Go", on Nils Lofgren, which is a stronger album
I Came To Dance, was the follow up album, with that song as the single, also "Cry Tough". Some of the album sounded forced, of course Happy had that feel, IMO.
Currently touring with Bruce Springstreet (as Dustin Hoffman says), where he is given several solo moments, during shows.
Definite artist to pickup, Sergei.
[Edited by Nellcote]
03-03-03 08:55 PM
Child of the Moon Nellcote, I agree fully. I LOVE Lofgren's stuff - everything with Neil Young kicks ass, for one thing, and those first few albums of his are great.
03-03-03 08:59 PM
Nellcote Now I have those riffs to Keith Don't Go rattling in my head, which of course cop a certain JJF. WTF, Nils tried to get Keith's attention, which was pissa! What a moment on The Sopranos, when Nils "Black Boots" came on. All of my geriatic friends had not a clue whom he was....
03-03-03 09:27 PM
CousinCocaine I liked the early Lofgren stuff very much.(The album with his former band as well-forgot the name) Although Happy wasn't that great imho.
You know that he really tried to get in contact with the Stones to get Taylors place ? But Keith was in one of his bad moods . .
CC
03-04-03 12:57 AM
gypsymofo60 I've often wondered what Nils would've been like as a Stone. They had so many fantastic guys looking to grab that gig when Taylor bailed, I mean Mick Ronson, Mandell, Woody, it just goes on & on. When it was happening I seriously hoped Woody would get it, ya know he was born a Stone, there's no doubt about it, but I always liked Nils Lofgren, his album 'Night Fades Away' is very good.
03-04-03 06:55 AM
Nellcote CC, the band Nils was in was named Grin
[Edited by Nellcote]
03-04-03 09:44 AM
jb I watched him play Howard Stearn many years ago in a basketball game on Stearns old T.V. program. One of the funnier things I have seen.
03-04-03 10:05 AM
Maxlugar Yes it was.

Nils is a pituitary Dwarf.
03-04-03 10:11 AM
jb Nils was the first to wear that bandanna thing....
03-04-03 10:54 AM
Maxlugar Keith was doing it in '75. Nils was doing it before that?

03-04-03 10:57 AM
jb mAX, KEITH USE TO WEAR IT AROUND HIS NECK, AS OPPOSED TO his thinning crown since 89...
03-04-03 01:34 PM
Saint Sway Nils is a devoted Stones fan. We all know about the "Keith Dont Go" song/tribute.

I recently saw him at the MGM in Vegas during the Stones shows. He had some down time on the current Springsteen tour and flew in to catch the shows. Got to chat with him and he's very knowledgable and into the Stones
03-04-03 01:49 PM
Maxlugar Keith wore it on the head during '75.

Nils has been trying to get that look ever since.

Incidentally, so has Keith.
03-04-03 01:54 PM
jb I don't recall that and i saw them in 75..can you authenticate this by photograph?
03-04-03 02:17 PM
Maxlugar Yes I can mofo!
03-04-03 02:39 PM
Factory Girl I saw Nils Lofgren at a free Nils concert. Not my type of guitar player.
03-04-03 09:07 PM
CousinCocaine
Nellcote, yeah thanx !

It was Grin. I had a kinda Best of Grin LP and there were some really great songs on that one !
Plus his early soloalbums were very good too!
Think his sound would have been nice with the Stones. Just for a try!
CC

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST