ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Press conference, Tokyo March 7, 2003
/Shizuo Kambayashi/AP Photo
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones soak up sun on Gold Coast Return to archive
03-03-03 04:31 PM
moy Stones soak up sun on Gold Coast
Phil Bartsch and Emma Chalmers
04 mar 03

THE Rolling Stones wasted no time in making themselves at home on the Gold Coast yesterday, soaking up the sun, cruising its waterways and enjoying some fine dining at its trendiest restaurant precinct.

Mick Jagger leaves a Gold Coast restaurant.

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts arrived together at the luxury Palazzo Versace Hotel on Sunday night, in the lead-up to their last two concerts of the Australian leg of their Forty Licks world tour in Brisbane tonight and tomorrow night.

Richards was the first to emerge mid-morning yesterday reading and sunning himself on the balcony before stepping out for an afternoon "booze cruise" on the Gold Coast Broadwater with a dozen of the band's entourage.

Staff from Palazzo Versace spent the morning stocking a 17m cruiser moored in front of the hotel with cartons of beer, spirits, seafood, sandwiches, ice and Versace cushions and towels.

Meanwhile, drummer Watts � regarded as "the quiet Stone" � was spotted on the rooftop soaking up the sun with a blonde female companion.

Jagger kept a low profile for much of the day until he slipped out in a black Mercedes limousine for a late lunch at Restaurant B on Main Beach's trendy Tedder Ave.

Although a huge fan of the band, Bribie Island school counsellor John Cazalet, 57, could not get tickets to the show but has some memories of Mick Jagger.

Cazalet attended Dartford Grammar School for Boys in London alongside the rock star and they even played on the same basketball team.

"He was quite a clever fellow," he said. "I wouldn't say he was a potential star but I think he had an eye for the girls."

While the band were enjoying the sunny weather, the Entertainment Centre was crawling with more than 100 technicians and crew members setting up 23-semi trailer loads of equipment, which includes a 60m square screen that will beam out images from seven cameras, including one on Ronnie Wood's guitar.

High above the floor, a flickerfest of lights will illuminate the ageing rockers and working the dials tonight will be Sydney lighting director Jim Straw, 32, the only Australian member of the international touring crew.

Straw said the band rehearsed and helped plan the lighting combinations for 40 songs from which they choose a different combination for each performance.

"Mick knows exactly what he wants, he's very, very hands on," he said.

Later in the day, the band was expected to entertain themselves with a specially made billiard table, which will be on sale to fans after the tour.

[Edited by moy]
03-03-03 05:19 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
moy wrote:
Later in the day, the band was expected to entertain themselves with a specially made billiard table, which will be on sale to fans after the tour.

I bid 1 dollar to start...

Thanx Moy, I like the reads from Aussie newspapers/mags. They seem keen on keeping track of every step they take, mentioning times, restaurants etc. Very funny! Can't remember Dutch papers taking an interest in such details every day they are in the country. The Dutch media are somewhat blase I think, but also used to the fact of seeing them around more maybe. They just generally don't give a damn where they're at or whatever. I love it!
03-03-03 06:06 PM
glencar Australia has a Gold Coast? Interesting. How many seats are there in the Brisbane Entertainment Centre?
03-03-03 08:34 PM
Martha glencar,

iorr.org has the seating capacity for almost every show go there for a look.
03-03-03 08:42 PM
corgi37 Our Gold Coast is similar to Miami i suppose you could say. My dad and i have a unit there. Our unit is off Tedder Ave, in Main Beach, where Jagger went for lunch yesterday. Main Beach is the fancy part of the Gold Coast, also known as Surfers Paradise. If you like a good perv, this is the place for it. For fans of indy car racing, our unit is right on the track! If anyone wants to stay there, or indeed, hire one of our lovely cars for a holiday, we can offer exclusive rates for rocks off folk. In fact, dad is up there right now! I am going for a holiday there in APril with wifey and the kids. I might check out Restaurant B. The Entertainment centre in Brissie holds around 16,000 i think. God, its sad to know they are soon to leave Oz.
03-03-03 11:10 PM
sammy davis jr. Versace Pillows? On their yacht? Good god these guys are the most fucking pampered bunch of poozers in the world. Now tell me they are still "the peoples band" and all that other horsehit.
03-04-03 06:03 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
03-04-03 06:06 AM
corgi37 Where do you expect them to stay? Your house? Wonder if any of the guys went to the strip joints in Orchard Ave. I might have to research them myself when i go next month. I will tell wifey its just for research dear, just research.
03-04-03 07:06 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Another one, also provided by Moy

03-04-03 08:28 AM
Mother baby
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Versace Pillows? On their yacht? Good god these guys are the most fucking pampered bunch of poozers in the world. Now tell me they are still "the peoples band" and all that other horsehit.

Pampered? That's part of "the vibe", isn't it? Besides I'm glad to see that at least somebody is warm somewhere.
03-04-03 08:58 AM
steel driving hammer My God! Ronnie looks like a young Sylvester Stallone!

Hit Me Rocky!!!
03-04-03 10:01 AM
Scot Rocks Great pics, looks like Keith is still drinking the vodka sunkist.

Mark
03-04-03 01:05 PM
Moonisup haha thanx for the cool pix!
03-04-03 01:15 PM
parmeda Great pictures...but they depress the shit out of me.

I WANT TO SOAK UP SOME SUN TOO!

It's cold, gloomy, and before the night is over we'll have snow up to the cheeks of my ass! I'm glad others are enjoying romping around in their bathing suits...

03-04-03 02:26 PM
Fiji Joe Is that "TANG" Keef is drinking?

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST