ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Press conference, Tokyo March 7, 2003
/Shizuo Kambayashi/AP Photo
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Time Is On Their Side. Return to archive
03-01-03 11:41 PM
gypsymofo60 FARFUCKINGOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Anybody who says they've lost it- well they're talking out their arse-holes. That was simply the best concert, I've ever witnessed....... Saturday, the 1st of March 2003. Across southern Australia the drought broke, and after a strange sort of a day across Melbourne, my own personal(musical) drought broke, You know what I mean!......sorry! this damn PC wont paragraph, hope this all makes sense......................A hard day at work, rained on, and off all day. I spoke to Fmk at some stage during the day and remarked that I felt strangely flat, I couldn't work it out. Last night, I'd been as testy as as taipan, a bundle of wired energy. There was a reason for the flat attack, but more on that later. I raced into the city for the second time in one day, (a new record for me), and met up with Fmk. He was already at the arena. We couldn't have that pre-concert drink together due to prior commitments, but he has an open offer for the future, and it was great to meet him. We got a bite to eat, then I calmed my increasing anxiety with a couple, I said a couple- of drinks....We then made it to our seats without hassle...Jet were playing, mmmmmmm, yeah! they're OK! the ballady type songs bored me, but the rockers were great! Can't really see them making much head way though, it's all a little generic for my taste..................Mick & Keith must have chosen the incidental music, all old blues standards, it eased the wait, just......After what seemed like an eternity, an infectious voodoo rhythm began to rise like some unholy host around the arena, and then BANG!!!!!!!DA-DA, dadadadada, dada, dada, ah! it's only rock n'roll, but it's the best damn rock n'roll God ever gave voice to. The Rolling Stones open their final night in Melbourne with a ballsy, bassy rendition of Jumping Jack Flash, and they're playing it like they mean it.......Street Fighting Man rings with a truth not felt since the 60s in view of current world events, and Jagger only seems to slur the line about London Town, I wonder whether there's a meaning in that?....At first there is a sense that the crowd are going to lose their inhibitions, and really shake, but it all seems to get lost amongst the opening bars to You Got Me Rocking.......A woman sitting next to my wife turns to hubby and enquires,"Is that one of their new ones?"...rolling eyes emoticon please.........Sorry peeps, no photos, I was too far away......Don't Stop is improved on live IMO, but this crowd didn't buy 40 licks, that much is painfully obvious. Live With Me is just great. They've turned Chuck down, and turned Darryl up, yeah!!!!!..Angie is nice, and now we are treated to an Exile set, they fluff the intro to Sweet Virginia, and Mick looks ready to lob his harp at Darryl at one stage, he is not happy. All Down The Line raises the vibe somewhat, and down the front there giving it their all, as though there were no tomorrow,( and where Melbourne and The Stones are concerned), that could well be the case. Meanwhile the majority of the audience seem to be "The hot chocolate& slippers brigade..YAWWWWWWNN. My section are all as boring as bat- shit! Why do these fuckers even bother? They bring the entire vibe down around us. Tumbling Dice seems to be a real audience fav in OZ. The band intro's produce a funny moment when Ronnie goes AWOL, bringing back memories of "Where's Billy?"..........he reappears wringing his hand in mock agony, later Keith makes a rude comment regarding Ronnies post gig plans.......Keith now takes the spotlight, and there is a very warm vibe going on between him and Melbourne. He seems genuinely friendly with Melbourne. He does 'The Worst', and then 'Before They Make Me Run', and from the front at least he recieves a rousing applause.....The old voodoo rhythms return, and Mephistopheles tonight, is wearing a fedora, and trenchcoat, Dick Tracey does Sympathy For The Devil, and what a great job he does too. A true highlight is Gimme Shelter, not since it was written, and first performed does it resound with such reality, war trully maybe, indeed, just a shot away. Honky Tonk Women is the best I've heard in ages and if only they would caterwaul that chorus like the original recording, as Lisa does, it would have been near perfect..IORR keeps the momentumn going, and Start Me Up actually threatens to bring the geriatric crowd to it's feet. Alas it happens to be the poor dears last roll of the dice, they're too pooped to pop after that. Mick & The Boys must anticipate this, and make their way to the B-Stage.....They kick off the B-Stage part of the show with, ONE OF THE most rousing, and thoroughly exciting versions of Midnight Rambler you will ever hear. God! I hope someone got this gig recorded for this one alone.......It's relentless, I can't help it! I'm singing along at the top of my voice, TheOAPs are in kiniptions!!!!! That's the absolute highlight of the show, Like A Rollin' Stone is not bad, Brown Sugar is fairly predictable, and Mick's saying goodnight before I'm back to earth after Rambler.....Still I know we'll get Satisfaction, and it's a rousing, rollicking version to sing along to as well, yep! you guessed it! The OAPS are NOW- ready to party. Rolling eyes emoticons once more, if you please.......I don't want it to end, and I'm trying to drag it out for as long as possible, like a guy trying to drag out an orgasm.......It's impossible, and then it's over. The entourage take their bows, Mick, Charlie, Darryl & Ronnie link arms, and Keith very nearly misses it. We hope in vain, but that's it folks! As the lights go up I realise why I felt so flat all day, subconciously, I'd been anticipating this moment all along. Even the way Mick,(last to leave the stage), walked off felt like the last time. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it...........People, words can't really describe how it all felt, and still feels, only the music itself can really do that, but I hope this goes some way to conveying what a great act these guys are. Sorry about no paragraphs, and no photos. Cheers all........gypsymofo60.
03-02-03 04:41 AM
woodywoodpecker Hey Gyp's Nice Review! I like your comment "to pooped to pop" LOL.

Im glad you enjoyed, and wow you got All Down the Line!

Like I said in my post-" Stones Wont Stop" I had the same feeling as ya'self.

Talk with u soon

Woody
03-02-03 05:43 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
woodywoodpecker wrote:
Hey Gyp's Nice Review! I like your comment "to pooped to pop" LOL.

Im glad you enjoyed, and wow you got All Down the Line!

Like I said in my post-" Stones Wont Stop" I had the same feeling as ya'self.

Talk with u soon

Woody

Thanks Woody,......and good! coz I enjoys yer company man!
03-02-03 06:02 AM
fmk438j Excellent review gyps. So great to hear it replayed again in word-form, it brings it back. I saw that fierce look mick gave when he fluffed the vrigina intro. Was that his or who's fault?

I'll do a review soon but am too tired now.
03-02-03 06:17 AM
gypsymofo60 Fmk, glad you got home safe & sound. What a show eh? I hung around for awhile after the show, but I guessed you'd gone stage bound.......How was it? Yeah! Mick was so pissed off eh? I laughed my head off! Bit like "If you don't get those fucking monitors together man???????????".......look forward to your review, a second perspective is needed. Pleased ta meetchya..............
03-02-03 06:29 AM
fmk438j Excellent show. All Down the line definite highlight, so frenetic (good word).

Nothing happened after the show, but was just hanging around and talking in and out. We went back to the stones hotel and sat in the bar hoping for some excitement but none came. It was kinda cool drinking in a swanky place in a T-shirt and skate shoes while everyone else is in suites. Just happy not to get booted. Chuck was there and Daryl briefly, but no luck otherwise. Got to bed at 530.

Thanks again fo the books, I value them very much already.

I will be back in melbourne sometime I'm sure and we will have more beer.
03-02-03 06:38 AM
gypsymofo60 I really enjoyed meeting both you & Woody, it's something to cherish in my personal Stones memories, and I am just glad you enjoyed yourself. If I see any of the books on the list or otherwise I will grab them and send them to you. Pity we can't burn books as such just yet eh? Anytime you're headed south again, let me know. All the breast gyppo.
03-02-03 06:43 AM
fmk438j THanks.

I really love melbourne, so easy to get around and simple plan, nice people, not as angst-riddena s Sydney (I stoel that from someone, but I liked it). I felt I had no time there all week, I was just getting up eating walking and then going to stones and repeat. I didn't want to come home, it was heaven.
03-02-03 07:17 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
fmk438j wrote:
THanks.

I really love melbourne, so easy to get around and simple plan, nice people, not as angst-riddena s Sydney (I stoel that from someone, but I liked it). I felt I had no time there all week, I was just getting up eating walking and then going to stones and repeat. I didn't want to come home, it was heaven.

Well if you ever decide to move south I'd be more than happy to put you up until you got it together. Funny thing is, Iluv Sydney! Nearly as much as Londinium. Told ya it was easy eh?
03-02-03 07:19 AM
Monkey Woman Wow, gypsymofo, what a review! And what a night it must have been!!! Thanks for sharing with us around the world the vibe of that last Melbourne show!
They really seem to enjoy themselves and take pride in their work. As much as I like to hear Stones songs covered by other bands, you need the original to give JJF or SFM their due edge!

'it's only rock n'roll, but it's the best damn rock n'roll God ever gave voice to' -- What more to say? Amen, brother!

P.S. 'Mephistopheles is wearing a fedora and Dick Tracey trench-coat, tonight'!!! Luxury, is that your hat Mick is sporting on stage???
03-02-03 07:43 AM
gypsymofo60 Thankyoukindly.....Actually MonkeyWoman, I could've typed so much more, but as I say, the music is the only true conveyance there is. You know, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced, that God took; as they say six days to create the world, but rather than rest on the seventh, he proposed The Rolling Stones. He just took awhile sorting the wheat from the chaff is all.......Wish I was in Brisbane next week.
03-02-03 10:17 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
fmk438j wrote:
Excellent show. All Down the line definite highlight, so frenetic (good word).

Hell yeah!

-tSYX --- Hear the diesel drummin'...
03-02-03 10:40 AM
steel driving hammer Enjoyed reading your review!

I felt your passion all down the line!

So is this the last tour? No.

How Could They Stop?

Even on automatic, they're the best thing in Rock and Roll since the No Security Tour.

Uncharted waters w/ Charlie at the helm.
03-03-03 07:11 PM
Dear Doctor what did keith say about woody

looks like woody is goofing off big time again

this is just an embarassment if true
03-03-03 09:54 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Dear Doctor wrote:
what did keith say about woody

looks like woody is goofing off big time again

this is just an embarassment if true

Well it wasn't very clear, but I thought he said Woody had just fucked his last chance for a root that night( you know, the only fuck comin' his way anyway was a fister), but someone else tells they thought what he said something totaly different about Rod Laver Arena being refered to as, Rod's Room, but that seems totaly out of context to me.....Woody didn't goof off at all, he was a complete pro' throughout.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST