ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

LA Forum, Inglewood, CA - March 6, 2006
© Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Does anybody else have the Charlie Watts jazz album.... Return to archive
2nd March 2006 12:52 PM
RollingstonesUSA What do u think about it? I LOVE IT!
2nd March 2006 12:57 PM
Break The Spell Its pretty good, he also did one about 10 years ago with Bernard Fowler singing. I think he played on a late night talk show to promote it, maybe it was Letterman.
2nd March 2006 01:02 PM
BILL PERKS I LIKE THE BIG BAND RECORD THE BEST
2nd March 2006 01:55 PM
glencar
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Its pretty good, he also did one about 10 years ago with Bernard Fowler singing. I think he played on a late night talk show to promote it, maybe it was Letterman.

No no no! I still have the show that Charlie was going to be on. Unfortunately, some sort of artistic difference erupted & Letterman spent the whole show saying, "Charlie watts will NOT be on teh show tonight!" Later in the week, Charlie did make it onto Dennis Miller's show on FOX which was a short-lived show at that time. That's on the same tape, right behind...
2nd March 2006 01:57 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:

No no no! I still have the show that Charlie was going to be on. Unfortunately, some sort of artistic difference erupted & Letterman spent the whole show saying, "Charlie watts will NOT be on teh show tonight!" Later in the week, Charlie did make it onto Dennis Miller's show on FOX which was a short-lived show at that time. That's on the same tape, right behind...

Oh thats right, I knew he made it onto some show, couldn't recall which one. I think the dispute with Letterman was Charlie didn't want Paul's band to join in with his.
2nd March 2006 02:01 PM
glencar I think you're correct but I'm not 100% sure so I left it out of my post. But really, what otehr reason could it have been? Charlie seems like a pretty agreeable mate.
2nd March 2006 02:06 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think you're correct but I'm not 100% sure so I left it out of my post. But really, what otehr reason could it have been? Charlie seems like a pretty agreeable mate.

He usually is, but he was saying the arrangement they wanted him to use totally took away from what he wanted the music to sound like. I can understand that.
2nd March 2006 02:08 PM
luxury1 and who could blame him, really. Paul Schaffer is reprehensible!
I didnt care for Bernard singing those old jazz standards at all. I do, however, enjoy the project he did with Jim Keltner. That is most eclectic. ANyone see him perform in NYC--I think it was the BLue Note? Man, I hope he does that again when this tour wraps up. He always says how boring his life is when not on the road.--but then again, he says he is bored on the road too--nothing to do but wait around for the gig, with all kinds of people waiting on you. I love Charlie. Watch the RS.com video of the Superbowl Behind the Scenes--Mick and Charlie walking back into the dressing room right after the gig. Classic Charlie!
2nd March 2006 02:15 PM
glencar Yes, Luxy, Paul is not what he was. Used to be funny at least. I have Long Ago & Far Away which is the one Bernard sings on. It's not great but it beats Wingless Angels.
2nd March 2006 02:26 PM
erikjjf
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
What do u think about it? I LOVE IT!

Which one? He has released a handful.
2nd March 2006 07:24 PM
Soldatti It's a nice record, I'm not into jazz but I enjoy it.
2nd March 2006 07:39 PM
MarkP I'm a hard core jazz fan and consider Charlie's latest double CD big band album absolutely terrific. His project with Jim Keltner was very interesting. One of the songs from the Big Band CD's, "Suite for Elvin" first appeared on the cd with Jim Keltner.

Charlie recorded several jazz albums in the early/mid 90's, some with Bernard Fowler. They are all easy going, and as a jazz fan, I find them nice, but not so exciting.

Charlie also recorded a Big Band album in the mid 80's...I think it was titled Live at Pulham Hall. That one was pretty good.

A very talented man.
2nd March 2006 09:48 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:

I think that dispute with Letterman may have been at a different time

I remember seeing the CW Quintet, with bernard singing, playing "Whats New" on Letterman in 1996. I have a video of it somewhere
3rd March 2006 01:43 AM
glencar Yes, the time I'm speaking about(or posting about) was earlier in the decade. Probably 92 or 93. DL was still on NBC. He was also funny back then.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)