ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

LA Forum, Inglewood, CA - March 6, 2006
© Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Macca Tries to Stop Seal Hunt Return to archive Page: 1 2
2nd March 2006 09:43 AM
gimmekeef Macca and his wife are up in Canada stirring up the seal thing again.They better watch out or one of those Canuck hunters will use Heathers leg for the first kill!....

Paul McCartney hands back an autograph as he and his wife Heather Mills McCartney make their way...
McCartneys Join Effort to End Seal Hunt
Thursday, March 2, 2006 9:05 AM EST
The Associated Press
By BETH DUFF-BROWN

CHARLOTTETOWN, Prince Edward Island (AP) — Opponents of Canada's seal hunt have a powerful ally in their bid to end the annual slaughter: Paul McCartney, who has pledged to take to the ice floes and frolic with the doe-eyed pups before the harvest gets under way.

The former Beatle and his wife, Heather Mills McCartney, arrived Wednesday night in this small fishing community on Canada's Atlantic coast and intend to land a helicopter on the ice in the Gulf of St. Lawrence on Thursday if weather permits.

The longtime animal-rights activists want to publicize the plight of the fluffy white pups, which are calved and weaned from their mothers on the frigid ice before being clubbed to death.

The United States has banned Canadian seal products since 1972 and the European Union banned the white pelts of baby seals in 1983.

The British government is also considering banning the import of seal goods. Groups such as Respect for Animals and the Humane Society of the United States, which are coordinating the McCartneys' visit, are encouraging people to boycott Canadian seafood as a show of solidarity.

"I think the McCartneys are two of the most visible people in the world, and with them drawing attention to the fact that this hunt is still going on, this is going to get that message out across the world," said Rebecca Aldworth, who will be observing and documenting her seventh seal hunt for the Humane Society.

Aldworth said the McCartneys quizzed her long and hard about the annual harvest, including the economic benefits that sealing brings to the local fishermen, whose livelihoods were devastated when the Atlantic Ocean cod stocks dried up in the mid 1990s.

The Canadian government endorses the harvest as a cultural right for many Maritimers and announced a hunting management plan in 2003 with a quota of 975,000 seals over three years.

About 325,000 seal pups were killed during the hunt last year, bringing the local fishermen $14.5 million in supplemental income, which they say their families badly need during the winter offseason.

The dates for the spring leg of the hunt have yet to be announced as the unseasonably mild temperatures in northeastern Canada have made the ice thin.

Federal Fisheries Minister Loyola Hearn said Canada would not terminate the annual hunt and insisted it is the most regulated mammal harvest in the world. The government says the country's seal population is abundant, estimating there are 5 million harp seals.

"I would encourage Mr. McCartney when he comes here to see the effect this is having on the economy and to realize this is sustaining people in their home communities," Hearn said.

Aboriginal and Inuit subsistence and commercial hunters begin the kill Nov. 15 in Canada's vast expanse of frozen northern waters. The spring leg of the commercial hunt starts in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and then moves to the Atlantic Ocean about 30-40 miles away from Newfoundland.

Harp seals have been hunted commercially off Newfoundland since the early 1700s. They were first harvested for their oil, but now are culled mostly for their pelts, sold mostly for the fashion industry in Norway, China and Russia.

—————

2nd March 2006 10:04 AM
Saint Sway Quick!!! Someone call the Super Hero's Hall of Justice and summon Bono to this cause immediately!!!! Alert the Bono Signal!!!
2nd March 2006 10:06 AM
Nellcote Macca is to visit the area tomorrow.
Here's hoping there's a one day global warming thaw...
2nd March 2006 11:32 AM
lotsajizz I hope his friggin' chopper gets stranded and he and his wife are forced a choice between hunger and baby seal fritters....

2nd March 2006 11:34 AM
glencar Well, Macca & the Mrs. will always be idiots but even a broken clock is right twice a day...
2nd March 2006 11:40 AM
Break The Spell I wonder if Macca and Bono hang with Ted Nugent much?? It seems to me like they'd have a lot in common.
2nd March 2006 11:40 AM
Maxlugar I hope a super intelligent seal couple grabs Mrs. McCartney’s wooden leg and beats them to death, skins them and raise their young in toasty warm Macca pouches.

2nd March 2006 11:42 AM
glencar Macca's pouches have been surgically removed...
2nd March 2006 11:57 AM
jb Macca and Bono, not the poor seals, should be clubbed, proceessed, and sent via the UN to african babies ........
2nd March 2006 11:58 AM
glencar Yes, leave the seals alone but bash Macca. With the wooden leg of #2 wife!
2nd March 2006 12:00 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yes, leave the seals alone but bash Macca. With the wooden leg of #2 wife!

Didn't the late John Candy ( R.I.P. ) once star in a " Second City Television " skit about Baby Seals ?!?!

Didn't .................. ?!?!

**** ABRUPT END TO TRANSMISSION *****
2nd March 2006 12:01 PM
glencar
quote:
Joey wrote:

Didn't the late John Candy ( R.I.P. ) once star in a " Second City Television " skit about Baby Seals ?!?!

Didn't .................. ?!?!

**** ABRUPT END TO TRANSMISSION *****

That man could play fat & dance like a mutha!
glencar
quote:
glencar wrote:

Oh wait, that was Chris Farley. Now I'm double verklempt!
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:

He is now taking a Dirt Nap ( see : Don Knotts )
2nd March 2006 12:06 PM
glencar Lotsa celebs died. Where oh where will we get more of them from? And will Knotts be featured on that "dead stars" reel at the Oscars?
2nd March 2006 03:03 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Lotsa celebs died. Where oh where will we get more of them from? And will Knotts be featured on that "dead stars" reel at the Oscars?

Yes ! ( See : Marlon Brando & Ronald Reagan at last years Oscar Telecast )

The Joey has no intention of even watching much of this year's telecast as Jon Stewart is no " Chris Rock " and " Brokeback Mountain " is no " Million Dollar Baby " .

I also feel quite ' bloated ' this morning / afternoon .

2nd March 2006 03:04 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:

did he wear a cape?
2nd March 2006 03:06 PM
glencar Last weekend when I went skiing, a kid on a snowboard yelled"Hey I'm a seal!" and went down the mountain on his belly with his feet up & his hands over his head. That was funny. You sir are losing your touch.
2nd March 2006 03:06 PM
glencar LOL My above post was directed at Joey. SSway never had a touch.
3rd March 2006 10:53 AM
Lazy Bones Way to go, Paul!

3rd March 2006 11:41 AM
glencar Hopefully that's not about to be clubbed!
3rd March 2006 12:00 PM
Gimme Shelter I, for one, hope Paul can make a difference.
3rd March 2006 12:05 PM
glencar Well, surprise surprise, so do I!
3rd March 2006 12:28 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
I, for one, hope Paul can make a difference.

Me, too. If anyone ever saw video of this cruel tactic, your heart would stop. How anyone can include themselves in this - for the sake of money - is beyond my ability of understanding human compassion.
3rd March 2006 12:54 PM
Gimme Shelter Yeah, its horrible. I've got to admit I'm an animal lover, and I cannot fathom how someone could do this.
3rd March 2006 12:58 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
Yeah, its horrible. I've got to admit I'm an animal lover, and I cannot fathom how someone could do this.

For some, I suppose, its all about profit, and they don't care who or what stands in their way.
3rd March 2006 01:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
I, for one, hope Paul can make a difference.

In this case, I hope so too.
3rd March 2006 01:52 PM
Egbert
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Quick!!! Someone call the Super Hero's Hall of Justice and summon Bono to this cause immediately!!!! Alert the Bono Signal!!!

BV to the rescue!
3rd March 2006 02:02 PM
Egbert There's gotta be a more humane way of going about it than clubbing the poor things to death.
3rd March 2006 02:18 PM
Saint Sway later that day, Macca & the seal joined Linkin Park and Jay Z in a passionate version of "Yesterday".

the seal stole the show. He had the best voice.

quote:

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)