ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

LA Forum, Inglewood, CA - March 6, 2006
© Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hats off to Don Was / Krish Sharma......From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
1st March 2006 06:04 PM
IanBillen I just listened to A Bigger Bang in a different room, and after a little breather from it.

It doesn't sound like Voodoo, It doesn't sound like Bridges.

IT sounds like an all digital recording. Loud, Compressed, and very much single layer, without really any real depth or over texturing.

This may sound bad....if you didn't hear the album. The album is more basic this way. It is up front, in your face, and loud. It rocks. No real slick production.

Basic hard hitting drums and guitars. Loud, sizzly cymbals.

Micks vocals have no real noticable effects. Just sharp and clear cut. Dry, without anything added (although there surely is). Like Some Girls vocals or something.

All this makes it a no brainer. Hey man, No More Bull. Just hard hitting rockin Stones. Hats off to Don Was for the style and cohesiveness and Engineer Krish Sharma for spinning the knobs as Don and us wanted.

Who could bitch. Well,... lots did about Don Was before this album was released.

I think as a producer he really shows versitility. Look at the different production styles of Voodoo, then Bridges, and now this (not to mention all his other credits). All are very good, yet all hit the mark as what they are supposed to be WITHOUT over doing it.

I think as a Producer, he gained 8 out of 10 peoples respect from those who were doubting before and questioned how he was handling Stones albums before this one.

Ian

1st March 2006 06:08 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Charlie's drumming is superb on this record. If that ain't enough I don't know what is.
1st March 2006 06:16 PM
Saint Sway Ian,
how do you do it?? Somehow each one of these ABB revisited reviews you write manages to get a little bit dumber than the last.

......................................................from Sway.
1st March 2006 06:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Ian,
how do you do it?? Somehow each one of these ABB revisited reviews you write manages to get a little bit dumber than the last.

......................................................from Sway.

So what? It's just a message board.
You're allright Ian, I don't give a fuck what they say...Your posts are OK in my book....not that that means anything but.....
1st March 2006 06:48 PM
Soldatti
quote:
I think as a Producer, he gained 8 out of 10 peoples respect from those who were doubting before and questioned how he was handling Stones albums before this one.

A new producer now. Don Was did a decent job, but they need people with new ideas the next time.
1st March 2006 07:02 PM
IanBillen [quote]Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

So what? It's just a message board.
You're allright Ian, I don't give a fuck what they say...Your posts are OK in my book....not that that means anything but.....

Thanks man. I don't pay them no mind. They just want someone to pick on. Fact is, I would of probably beat half their asses if they acted that way to me face to face.

I let it roll off. It isn't worth even getting so much as bugged over. As far as some folks go, no matter what I say they will post just to call me an ass. That is how it has become here.... What's anyone to do...

Such as this post. There was anything wrong with it. I recently attended probably the best Audio Engineering and Production school in the country and now I am doing an internship in LA in this very field so I DO know what I'm talking about when it comes to this subject. lol

If it weren't for your post I wouldn't even of given them that much.

Cheers,

Ian
1st March 2006 07:07 PM
speedfreakjive Ian's post is actually spot on!!

It is well produced from a vocals point of view, but not really guitar.

The production IMO is not as good as on Voodoo Lounge though, this was a brilliantly produced album, for the songs they had.
1st March 2006 07:23 PM
IanBillen [quote]Soldatti wrote:

A new producer now. Don Was did a decent job, but they need people with new ideas the next time.

Yeah,

I agree. Don Was had his time. I know they like him. Hell so do I. But now it is time to change the line-up. His job with them was well done. Excellent.

NOW HERE IS THE STONES IDEAL SCENARIO:
We need an edgier choice. Someone on the edge of things. Who knows, maybe someone kinda young. Someone who will have The Stones coming at you from left field even. But not so much he (or she, if that is possible) will take away their basic sound or style. It has to be the perfect choice, and this effort will ride a fine delicate line

Someone who gets them to really take chances and try things differently as far as song structure goes. Someone who says. "Look we got plenty of time and no dead line in sight so forget that rap this time around. When it is all done and we are happy with it it is done. AND NOT A MOMENT BEFORE! And no side projects once we get started on this thing. So lets really be creative."

We need him Someone who will really move the Stones to a different realm. Someone who lays down the law and tells them they are also gonna need a few real strong radio sellers on this one. Strong as can be. No matter how much they gotta dig at it and someone who cracks the whip! Enough of this, let them do their thing BS. We need a hard nosed whip cracker on those boys like they used to have next time around.

Yet someone who knows when enough is enough and will bring it all back home to Rolling Stones land again. Now that would be perfect for next time.

Hmmmm. I don't even know if their is anyone who can do all that. Is there?

Ian
1st March 2006 07:29 PM
Gazza Rick Rubin for me (although at this stage in the band's career I wouldnt be worrying about 'radio sellers' or hits..they should be above worrying about that)

But yes, Don Was and the others did a good job on ABB. Certainly no complaints from me about it. A better record than I dared hope
[Edited by Gazza]
1st March 2006 07:31 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Rick Rubin for me

But yes, Don Was and the others did a good job on ABB. Certainly no complaints from me about it. A better record than I dared hope

Steve Lillywhite, and Flood too.
1st March 2006 07:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
[There was anything wrong with it. I recently attended probably the best Audio Engineering and Production school in the country and now I am doing an internship in LA in this very field so I DO know what I'm talking about when it comes to this subject. lol

Well, Good luck with it all. Come to Maine sometime and we'll go down and meet Bob Ludwig...lol...he's accessable. I haven't met him yet but I always wanted to.
1st March 2006 07:38 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
1st March 2006 07:44 PM
speedfreakjive so, what did Bob Ludwig work on???
1st March 2006 07:46 PM
Gazza Ludwig's speciality field is mastering albums, no?
1st March 2006 07:46 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
so, what did Bob Ludwig work on???

Just about everything. Literally.
1st March 2006 07:47 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Ludwig's speciality field is mastering albums, no?

Yes, he is THE MASTER. LOL.
1st March 2006 07:49 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Steve Lillywhite, and Flood too.

Lillywhite???

based on the aural atrocity that is "Dirty Work" ??

He should have been taken outside and shot like a rabid dog for that one.

He did manage to achieve the impossible, producing an album that made Charlie Watts sound like he was playing in a different country than the rest of the band.
1st March 2006 07:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Yes, he is THE MASTER. LOL.

He is indeed.
1st March 2006 07:52 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Lillywhite???

based on the aural atrocity that is "Dirty Work" ??

He should have been taken outside and shot like a rabid dog for that one.

He did manage to achieve the impossible, producing an album that made Charlie Watts sound like he was playing in a different country than the rest of the band.

what a f*cking brilliant post Gazza!

I just like his work on u2's Achtung Baby, but I know thats taboo, sorry.
1st March 2006 07:53 PM
Ten Thousand Motels From what I've heard very Stephen Kingish, in that you can aPProach him on the street.....but nobody does. Maine doesn't deal with "celebrity", like most places.
1st March 2006 07:56 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:

Just about everything. Literally.

please elaborate
1st March 2006 08:00 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
please elaborate

Well....do a google search....on Bob Ludwig or Gateway Mastering Studios. I'd be more than happy to do it for you and post the results but I'm going to bed. But to whet you appetite he just got done ( a few years back) remastering all the Rolling Stones stuff that Klein owns.
1st March 2006 08:04 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:

Well....do a google search....on Bob Ludwig or Gateway Mastering Studios. I'd be more than happy to do it for you and post the results but I'm going to bed. But to whet you appetite he just got done ( a few years back) remastering all the Rolling Stones stuff that Klein owns.

OK , but remastering is like child's play compared to producing, you do realise?
1st March 2006 08:17 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Rick Rubin for me (although at this stage in the band's career I wouldnt be worrying about 'radio sellers' or hits..they should be above worrying about that)

+1 - Mick's WS and JRCash's American Recordings, man...I find it amazing that Mick hasn't used him again, I wonder if maybe they got into some fights for WS, odd.

Having said that, I am a bit concerned at this point (and for the first time since 1981) that there may not be a "next one". The only one who really bothered about ABB was Mick and given the general lack of interest I'm not sure he'll do it again, unless Keith starts writing songs again, maybe.
1st March 2006 08:37 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

what a f*cking brilliant post Gazza!

I just like his work on u2's Achtung Baby, but I know thats taboo, sorry.

Not to me its not. Its their masterpiece, and one of the best 5 albums of the 90's.

He just didnt appear to be right for the Stones, thats all.

His job wasnt exactly made easy by the band, to be fair to him
1st March 2006 08:43 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Not to me its not. Its their masterpiece, and one of the best 5 albums of the 90's.

true.

its an odd album, I've only had it a couple of months. I like the first half better so far.
1st March 2006 08:46 PM
Gazza
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:

+1 - Mick's WS and JRCash's American Recordings, man...I find it amazing that Mick hasn't used him again, I wonder if maybe they got into some fights for WS, odd.

apparently it was at times fractious, yes.

Rubin's produced the new Neil Diamond album. Havent heard it myself but apparently he really has brought the best work out of him in well over 30 years going by the reviews. Seems its a record that'll surprise a lot of people.

He seems to have an unusual style of working in that he does a lot of homework with his artists, basically interviewing them and getting them to play songs for him on weekly basis long before they go near a studio.

Read a few days ago that he has about 50 songs that Johnny Cash recorded with him in the last few weeks and months of his life that should see the light of day at some point in the future.
1st March 2006 08:51 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

and the other 5?......................please don't say B2B or VL
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
1st March 2006 08:54 PM
Gazza No..LOL..although Im very fond of BTB

The debut album by the mouthy Manc twat in your avatar would be one of them for sure
1st March 2006 08:59 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:
No..LOL..although Im very fond of BTB

The debut album by the mouthy Manc twat in your avatar would be one of them for sure

hahahah. B2B has grown on me of late. So has VL though, Brand New Car is a pleasure, every time, and I Go Wild, is a great weekend song IMHO.

Yes, Oasis will always be close to me. My first proper gig, and most of their albums have some form of classic rock 'n' roll on them.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)