ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: rap vocal Return to archive
02-20-02 09:55 AM
CocaBuena Sorry bother, but I forgot the name. So, who did the rap part in Anybody Seen My Baby?

Also, why Mick didn't? Some explanation?
Thanx.
02-20-02 10:36 AM
sandrew It was a sample from a Biz Markie song, and PLEASE don't remind me of that again. The Dust Brothers: what a disgrace that their grubby hands got to touch a Rolling Stones track! Another example of Mick trying to sound current - as with Goddess in the Doorway - but instead sounding hopelessly dated. Where would we be without Keith?
02-20-02 12:19 PM
CocaBuena Sorry there, but you don't said me the name of the Biz Markie (huh???) song, and I need to know!

I don't know the Dust Brothers work, but I do know the Chemical Brothers work, and they're great. If you never heard it, you should at least try.There's an Chemical Brothers named "Surrender", that is...great. And there's the new one, "Come With Us", not so great. I read somewhere this kind of music don't sales well in USA. True? Also, a friend of mine, in Palo Alto, CA, wrote me to complain that there is no dance records to sale there. Funny, huh?

Ok, another question, then: Mick Taylor play bass in Tumbling Dice. Anybody knows if in some other Stones song too?
02-20-02 12:55 PM
HandofFeet The problem with the Dust Brothers' work on B2B, is that they operated under the assumption of the Stones being something they had to make "cool".

It wasn't a question of, "You know, this rap really complements the song", but rather, "Hey, wouldn't it be funny and hip if we dropped this bit of pop culture in?"
02-20-02 01:00 PM
moy does anybody here know the lyrics of asmb? please post them
02-20-02 01:09 PM
sway The Dust Brothers are great for what they do which is building music strictly from samples and beats. My personal fave will always be Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys (considered by many as the Pet Sounds of hip-hop). Odeley by Beck is another grat album they produced.

That said, they have no place being on a Rolling Stones record and I'm not surprised that Keith was thoroughly disgusted that Mick insisted on working with them.
02-20-02 02:45 PM
Gazza Seems its always Mick's fault if its something "off the wall" that the traditionalists dont like. Theres more to the Stones than just a R&B band with great riffs.

Read the interviews with Charlie Watts when BTB came out - its quite obvious he enjoyed the experience of working on something different within the confines of a Stones album.

Coca:

Other Stones songs featuring mick Taylor on bass:

Torn & Frayed,Just wanna see his face,Shine a Light, dancing with Mr D, Comin down again,Can you hear the Music, Fingerprint File
02-20-02 05:11 PM
sandrew Look, it's beyond dispute that Mick is the one who drags the Stones into experiments with fashionable modes and trends. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. But, honestly, can you offer an example of when it really worked? Besides "Miss You," when has that approach succeeded? "Fingerprint File," "Heaven," "Back to Zero," "Terrifying," "Might As Well Get Juiced" - these are throwaway tunes that don't wear well with time.

Maybe the Stones would end up sounding like reactionary dinosaurs if Mick didn't nudge them in a progressive direction. But I don't think so. As Keith said in a 1988 interview with Kurt Loder, why does Mick always have to "put on the lemon yellow tights" and "suck up to Prince and Michael Jackson"? And Nile Rodgers and Steve Lillywhite and Rick Rubin and the Dust Brothers and Babyface and Puff Daddy and Rob Thomas...ad nauseum. Keith = dignity. Mick = embarassment and humiliation.
02-20-02 05:18 PM
Gazza Fingerprint File's a great song!! "Continental Drift" - another song far from the typical Stones sound is also one of my top 5 Stones songs ever. Always has been since I first heard it.

You're missing my point,I think - I'm neither "pro-Mick" or "pro-Keith" or interested in that crap...I just think its pretty easy for a lot of people to slag Mick off because he has his eye on more contemporary sounds -sometimes it works,sometimes it doesnt. Theres a lot of the Stones more "traditional sounding" songs that havent aged well either,dont forget.

The point is that as a band they're still trying,regardless of who you or I think is the more inspirational. Thankfully they strike a good balance between being contemporary and true to their roots.

02-20-02 05:55 PM
robbluedog I also think that 'Fingerprint File' is a great song and performance, as is 'Heaven'. Great Vibes too.

But it is true that The Stones, read mainly Mick Jagger feel trapped in a bit of a bind. On the one hand they need to appeal to the traditional fan - but that person is now typically over 35 and may not buy their records in enough quantities to justify a record company giving the band the sort of contract they both want and deserve.
So consequently they have to throw in what they consider to be 'progressive' flourishes that will hopefully broaden their audience, thus boosting their sales. Thus we have albums like 'Godess' which straddle the two audiences sometimes rather uncomfortably.

Anybody got any answers?
02-20-02 06:42 PM
sway "Heaven" is one of my all time faves! A great song to seduce the ladies to.

Actually, I think Jagger's attempts to stay current have always helped the band more than hurt it. I think that's what's given them a lot of their longevity. However, the older the Stones get, the more ridiculous they look chasing the current fads.
02-20-02 08:48 PM
Maxlugar Hey don't knock Heaven until you've masturbated to it, man.

Mick is an extremely creative person who needs to do new things to keep the fire going. I don't take it personally when he does something new or with some hot shit new fad maker. Who cares? Really now, how can a person write and perform music for 40 God damed years without taking risks with something new. It's probably fun for him. So what? I totally disagree that Mick was going for the mega sale teenager market with Goddess. I can only think of two songs that might have been aimed in that direction (Gun and Visions). I think Mick knows he could have topped the charts for weeks and sold gazillions of CD's by doing an all Blues cover album. But that would be playing it safe. Plus he can do that with the Stones. Mick is always trying to grow and is not above playing with younger people to check out new vibes. I don't have a problem with that. Even when he pulls the Stones into a new or even fadish direction for a song or two. I'm just glad making music still inspires him. I consider the years since '89 to bonus years anyway. It's all ending soon anyway. Put Voodoo Lounge on tonight and let your groove hang out. Aint no hanging mat-tarrr.

Your pal, even though you don't want to admit it,

Maxy Von The Wall de la warmed over Arthur.
02-21-02 11:37 AM
CocaBuena Moy, here're the lyrics for ASMB, the rap part included. And hey Gazza, thanks for the Mick Taylor info.

Anybody Seen My Baby
(Jagger/Richards - K.D. Lang/B.Mink)

She confessed her love to me
Then she vanished on the breeze
Trying to hold on to that
Was just impossible

She was more than beautiful
Closer to ethereal
With a kind of down to earth flavor

Close my eyes
It's three in the afternoon
Then I realize
That she's really gone for good

Anybody seen my baby
Anybody seen her around
Love has gone and made me blind
I've looked but I just can't find
She has gotten lost in the crowd

I was flippin' magazines
In that place on Mercer Street
When I thought I spotted her

Getting on a motor bike
Looking rather lady like
Didn't she just give me a wave?

Salty tears
It's three in the afternoon
Has she disappeared
Is she really gone for good

Anybody seen my baby
Anybody seen her around
If I just close my eyes
I reach out and touch the prize
Anybody seen her around

(We came to rock for Brooklyn, and Queens, and Manhatten, and the Bronx, and Staten Island, I can't forget New Jersey, and Long Island and all over the world....we came to rock for everybody a like this)

Anybody seen my baby
Anybody seen her around
If I just close my eyes
I reach out and touch the prize
Anybody seen her around

Lost, lost and never found
I must have called her a thousand times
Sometimes I think she's just in my imagination

Lost in the crowd
02-21-02 05:22 PM
robbluedog While it is very true that Mick is a creatively driven person, that is NOT why he drafted in the likes of Rob Thomas et al for his latest solo album.

It was all about maximising sales potential. If Mick wanted to do a straight blues album he would have, you know. But blues albums sell to only about 5% of the record buying public, pop albums sell to about 50% plus. So if Mick is to have a viable solo career he needs to keep up the sales.

Don't forget, Virgin records just dropped David Bowie, didn't they?

02-21-02 05:35 PM
robbluedog While it is very true that Mick is a creatively driven person, that is NOT why he drafted in the likes of Rob Thomas et al for his latest solo album.

It was all about maximising sales potential. If Mick wanted to do a straight blues album he would have, you know. But blues albums sell to only about 5% of the record buying public, pop albums sell to about 50% plus. So if Mick is to have a viable solo career he needs to keep up the sales.

Don't forget, Virgin records just dropped David Bowie, didn't they?

02-21-02 09:16 PM
Maxlugar Mick Jagger HAS to be smart enough to know he is not going to sell big with the teeny bopper pop buying crowd. I would think he knows more about the business side of music (as well as music in general)than you (and me).

02-22-02 04:45 PM
Joey 'Mick Jagger HAS to be smart enough to know he is not going to sell big with the teeny bopper pop buying crowd. I would think he knows more about the business side of music (as well as music in general)than you (and me). '

Your analysis posits some thought provoking tenets amongst the general population . Verisimilitude and egregious behavior notwithstanding , I have come to the conclusion that life boils down to one thing and one thing only :

The wall was just warmed over Arthur

" Bitch Slap Me Hard all night tonight Ronnie "

Joey von Arthurily kink
02-22-02 05:40 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Maxy!

You are right....one would think that Mick would be smart enuff to figure out where his bread is buttered. But what if he had a bunch of slimey dickheads in business suits blowing smoke up his ass? "Oh Mr. Jagger, the kids will love you!" "Oh Mr. Jagger, you're a legend, the kids will dig you!" "Oh Mr. Jagger, you can't miss with Lenny Kravitz and Rob Thomas!" "Oh Mr. Jagger, all the beautiful people will want to be in the front rows!" "Oh Mr. Jagger, you'll sell millions!" "Oh Mr. Jagger, The Rolling What?"

I think he believed his own hype. His PR people should be flogged. They turned him into a friggin' cartoon....literally. He'll be on "The Simpsons" next season. Don't get me wrong, I love The Simpsons, and it's fine for a second level act like Aerosmith or The Who to appear on it...but seriously, Mick Jagger on the Simpsons. PuhLEEEZ!

What I want to know is...what is wrong with being a rocking R & B band? The Stones are fucking GREAT at it! Art, schmart, fucking rock us! I am here to tell you...if the Stones went back to being a fucking Rock band, they'd fucking squish U2, The Who, Lenny, ANYONE! And you know what, if Mick doesn't want to rock anymore, then he should just let the Stones go. I don't want "The Rolling Stones" name on some bunch of trendy poo like Goddess. Progress isn't necessarily a good thing. You all wanna say that I'm stuck in a time warp? Yeah, maybe. But that's the kind of rockin' that I like....and I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one here who feels that way. Crank the God Damn amps to "11" and rip it up!

Didn't the Stones do a song with the lyric: "If you can't rock me, somebody will chile!"

It is my considered opinion that the guys all need to move into a big house together, and just play. Something very good would come out of it.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.