ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Idaho Center, Boise, Idaho - 14th November 2006
© Idaho Statesman with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: North Korea Invites Eric Clapton to Play Concert in Pyongyang Return to archive
26th February 2008 10:37 AM
Rev Twenty Redlights (President Obama will be grooving in the front row I'm sure)

North Korean officials have invited rock guitarist Eric Clapton to play a concert in the Communist state, a diplomat at the country's embassy in London said Tuesday.

The diplomat confirmed reports in the British media that Clapton had been officially invited to Pyongyang — the first such invitation to a Western rock star to the isolated nation.

"Eric Clapton is a well-known musician and guitarist, famous throughout the world," said the official, who declined to give his name. "It will be a good opportunity for Western music to be understood better by Koreans."

Clapton's spokesman did not immediately return calls seeking comment. The Financial Times newspaper reported Tuesday that Clapton, 62, had agreed in principle and suggested 2009 for the gig.

North Korean authorities have long shunned rock and pop music, although Kim Jong Chol, the Swiss-educated son of national leader Kim Jong Il, is reportedly a huge Clapton fan.

Recently North Korea has begun to build tentative cultural ties with the West. The New York Philharmonic played in Pyongyang on Tuesday, and North Korean State Symphony Orchestra is due to perform in London and the English city of Middlesbrough in September.

The Financial Times said the invitation to Clapton was in return for the Korean orchestra's British tour.

http://www.rawstory.com/news/mochila/Clapton_invited_to_play_North_Korea_02262008.html
26th February 2008 11:10 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Rev Twenty Redlights wrote:
North Korean authorities have long shunned rock and pop music, although Kim Jong Chol, the Swiss-educated son of national leader Kim Jong Il, is reportedly a huge Clapton fan.

http://www.rawstory.com/news/mochila/Clapton_invited_to_play_North_Korea_02262008.html

26th February 2008 11:38 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Idiocy on display!

Riffy
26th February 2008 11:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Idiocy on display!

It's called "Diplomacy."
26th February 2008 11:59 AM
Riffhard
quote:

It's called "Diplomacy."

Perhaps you should read up on Neville Chamberlain. And by the way just exactly what did this little idiotic diplomacy result in? Read a little.

This was stupidity plain and simple.

Riffy
26th February 2008 12:06 PM
gimmekeef
quote:

I think if N Korea will accept all of our fat stupid women then lets begin exports immediately..Send the fat stupid guys too in wigs just like Korea's puny leader.
26th February 2008 12:09 PM
Joey
quote:
Rev Twenty Redlights wrote:

North Korean officials have invited rock guitarist Eric Clapton to play a concert in the Communist state, a diplomat at the country's embassy in London said Tuesday.

The diplomat confirmed reports in the British media that Clapton had been officially invited to Pyongyang — the first such invitation to a Western rock star to the isolated nation.

Perhaps it is time that the Rolling Stones performed in Hanoi .

Perhaps it is time that ....................

***** ABRUPT END TO TRANSMISSION !!! ********
26th February 2008 12:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >And by the way just exactly what did this little idiotic diplomacy result in?<

No major war with North Korea and China, or nuclear war on the Korean Penninsula since 1953?

26th February 2008 12:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels

26th February 2008 12:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
26th February 2008 12:36 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Yes this one's good. It was the economic pressure that Reagan used to bring down the USSR. Regardless of what the liberals of today say. Rewriting history does not change it. I mean hell's bells even Gorby tells it like it really was.

This one is not bad either. Afterall during the Cold War it made perfect sense to engage China. Nixon did that with great success. Which eventually led to China opening up econnomically with the rest of the world.

Hard to argue with this one either. I mean we were talking about defeating Hitler here afterall.

As for the whole no war with North Korea argument. Well I suppose you could say that, but I'd point out the fact that it was that trip with Notbright that ushered in N. Korea's nuclear development, and sped their enrichment program up by decades because of stupid choices by that reckless admin. Of course don't let little things like facts get in the way of your happy little Pollyanna scenario that you have mapped out.

Riffy
26th February 2008 03:55 PM
glencar TTM doing politics is like watching a mouse on crack!
26th February 2008 03:58 PM
glencar
26th February 2008 04:00 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
TTM doing politics is like watching a mouse on crack!

Blue ...... Er , Um ... do you have any m- material ?!

I am completely dry .

27th February 2008 12:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
TTM doing politics is like watching a mouse on crack!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)