ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Idaho Center, Boise, Idaho - 14th November 2006
© Idaho Statesman with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NEW BOOK ABOUT THE STONES Return to archive Page: 1 2
23rd February 2008 10:38 PM
stevek Hi Everyone,

I'm a big Stones fan and I wanted to let everyone know about a book I've written called "Like A Rolling Stone: The Strange Life of A Tribute Band." The book follows two Stones tributes - Sticky Fingers and the Blushing Brides - as they follow the Stones' 2005 tour. The musicians are big Stones fans (the Keith in Sticky Fingers loves Keith so much he's never out of costume!) and I think the book really captures what it's like to be a Stones fan and why the Stones are so amazing. (I also include the Shidoobees)

The book is being published by Random House and will be released on April 22nd, but is already available for pre-order on Amazon. I'm hoping Stones fans will view it as an addition to all the other great books already out there, like Stanley Booth's "Dance With the Devil." So please let other fans know a book is on the way. Thanks so much,

-Steven
likearollingstonethebook.blogspot.com
24th February 2008 02:56 PM
fireontheplatter i have seen the blushing brides a few times, they are based out of montreal...no? great great cover band.

anyone out there who haven't seen these guys play..you should.

i will look for your book.
24th February 2008 03:15 PM
robpop
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i have seen the blushing brides a few times, they are based out of montreal...no? great great cover band.

This was a good Stones book.

24th February 2008 03:21 PM
Zack
quote:
robpop wrote:

This was a good Stones book.

Mick Jagestone and the Rolling Boulders guested on the Pebbles and Bam-Bam show once. It was the one when the two were teenagers, and in a Brady Bunch-esque plot, Pebbles wanted the Boulders for her and Bam-Bam's prom. After many wacky attempts to get at them, she finally succeeds in meeting Mick who, after hearing her sad tale, agrees to play the dance, gratis. "It's on me," he said in one of the worst fake British accents I ever heard.
24th February 2008 04:00 PM
guitarman53
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i have seen the blushing brides a few times, they are based out of montreal...no? great great cover band.

I remember them in the 70's as a Bar Band, fantastic! they do The Stones great, but I believe their from Toronto, used to play in a lot of Bars in Toronto.
24th February 2008 04:03 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Zack wrote:

Mick Jagestone and the Rolling Boulders guested on the Pebbles and Bam-Bam show once. It was the one when the two were teenagers, and in a Brady Bunch-esque plot, Pebbles wanted the Boulders for her and Bam-Bam's prom. After many wacky attempts to get at them, she finally succeeds in meeting Mick who, after hearing her sad tale, agrees to play the dance, gratis. "It's on me," he said in one of the worst fake British accents I ever heard.

I remember that episode, only I think it's Mick Jagerock & The Rolling Boulders, I tried to find it on Youtube, but no luck.
24th February 2008 04:11 PM
robpop
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

I remember that episode, only I think it's Mick Jagerock & The Rolling Boulders, I tried to find it on Youtube, but no luck.

I think you are right. I tried to find it also a while ago with the same results as you.
24th February 2008 06:43 PM
Lord (Hetero) I think these tribute bands are kind of pathetic, but the idea of the book is very good.
24th February 2008 07:18 PM
Starbuck
quote:
I think these tribute bands are kind of pathetic, but the idea of the book is very good.

you have no taste.
24th February 2008 07:19 PM
gypsy
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

you have no taste.

said the guy in the Beatles tribute band
24th February 2008 07:25 PM
Lord (Hetero)
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

you have no taste.

I know, it's terrible. I prefer the Rolling Stones over the Strolling Bones
24th February 2008 07:37 PM
lotsajizz I have never seen a 'tribute' band in my life nor will I. The very idea is repulsive....
24th February 2008 08:56 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
stevek wrote:
(I also include the Shidoobees)

Well, it would be hotter if you include the RO wild bunch
24th February 2008 09:22 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

I remember them in the 70's as a Bar Band, fantastic! they do The Stones great, but I believe their from Toronto, used to play in a lot of Bars in Toronto.

i checked out their history page and they origionated in montreal. the lead singer is from ontairo, but the rest of the band is from montreal.

[Edited by fireontheplatter]
25th February 2008 01:03 AM
BONOISLOVE I don't know about "books". They don't sell.
25th February 2008 03:50 AM
Starbuck
quote:
I have never seen a 'tribute' band in my life nor will I. The very idea is repulsive....

is this why you haven't been laid since the mid 90s?
25th February 2008 05:03 AM
gypsy
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

is this why you haven't been laid since the mid 90s?

Weak, Beatleboy. Weak.
25th February 2008 04:51 PM
stevek Yes, the Blushing Brides are Canadian. The singer is from Montreal but the group was based for years in Toronto. They're definitely worth seeing -- the Mick Jagger (Maurice Raymond) is probably one of the best frontmen I've ever seen in any band, tribute or original.

To the person who said they'd never see a tribute band and find the idea repulsive: you should really reconsider. Tribute shows can be a lot more fun than seeing the real thing, especially when it comes to seeing a huge stadium rock band like the Stones. You know what I find repulsive? Paying $150 to sit in the nosebleed section of an enormodome.

-Steve
[Edited by stevek]
[Edited by stevek]
25th February 2008 05:25 PM
guitarman53
quote:
stevek wrote:
Yes, the Blushing Brides are Canadian. The singer is from Montreal but the group was based for years in Toronto. They're definitely worth seeing -- the Mick Jagger (Maurice Raymond) is probably one of the best frontmen I've ever seen in any band, tribute or original.

To the person who said they'd never see a tribute band and find the idea repulsive: you should really reconsider. Tribute shows can be a lot more fun than seeing the real thing, especially when it comes to seeing a huge stadium rock band like the Stones. You know what I find repulsive? Paying $150 to sit in the nosebleed section of an enormodome.

-Steve

Now this is different, the lead singer is from Montreal, & the band is from Toronto, I thought I knew why the band is always touring Toronto, Ontario bars in the Mid-70's, it's a Toronto band, I always knew no band from Quebec, could be that hip!
[Edited by stevek]
[Edited by stevek]

26th February 2008 03:45 PM
TomL I've seen the Brides several times. Last time was in Annapolis when we rocked the house. Nanky and LJ were there. Later guys I'm going in. Check out Hot Rocks from Philly. My friend CC is the Ronnie, hot stuff. It's just a party....on the streets....
26th February 2008 03:48 PM
glencar
quote:
Lord (Hetero) wrote:
I think these tribute bands are kind of pathetic, but the idea of the book is very good.

Ditto!
26th February 2008 03:50 PM
glencar
quote:
stevek wrote:
Yes, the Blushing Brides are Canadian. The singer is from Montreal but the group was based for years in Toronto. They're definitely worth seeing -- the Mick Jagger (Maurice Raymond) is probably one of the best frontmen I've ever seen in any band, tribute or original.

-Steve
[Edited by stevek]
[Edited by stevek]

LOL I'd rather spend $300 seeing the Stones in an enormodome than seeing some crappy tribute band in some crappy bar. Been there, done that, still ahve the cape.
26th February 2008 04:01 PM
Joey " LOL I'd rather spend $300 seeing the Stones in an enormodome than seeing some crappy tribute band in some crappy bar. "

26th February 2008 05:25 PM
TomL Now thats stones fever Kin's. How'd like to 69 that?
26th February 2008 05:33 PM
Joey
quote:
TomL wrote:
Now thats stones fever Kin's. How'd like to 69 that?

You bet your sweet bippy TomL

I am currently Chubbin'

I remain ...... forever ........your :

'kins , Est. 1999 and loved by all

26th February 2008 05:35 PM
nankerphelge The Brides are great.

remember the rules at the Rams Head Tom?

"No standing, shouting, clapping or dancing."

Yeah.

Right!

That lasted all of 20 seconds.

And thank got jizzbreath will never see a tribute band - that way we'll never run into his ignorant ass!
26th February 2008 05:40 PM
TampabayStone Tribute bands are fun. Seen one called Satisfaction a few times when they've rolled thru. Had a blast each time. Dudes were cool too. I've seen the Hooligans a few times also, back in the day. They were very good.
26th February 2008 05:51 PM
texile
quote:
Zack wrote:

cool.
i know the flinstone tradition of 'guest stars' - but i missed that one.
as a kid, i saw the pebbles and bam-bam show as a weak imitation of its forefather.....
26th February 2008 06:42 PM
TomL I hear you loud and clear Nankyson.
26th February 2008 07:09 PM
LadyJane
quote:
TomL wrote:
I've seen the Brides several times. Last time was in Annapolis when we rocked the house. Nanky and LJ were there. Later guys I'm going in. Check out Hot Rocks from Philly. My friend CC is the Ronnie, hot stuff. It's just a party....on the streets....

Oh what a night that was!!!!!!!!!!!

Those freaks that ran the Ramshead. No clapping, no dancing, no singing, no moving. Yeah...right!!!!

"Later guys I'm going in!!!!!!!!!!!"

lmfao.

LJ.

Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)