ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Idaho Center, Boise, Idaho - 14th November 2006
© Idaho Statesman with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: PINK FLOYD-PLEASE REUNITE!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2
24th February 2008 07:41 PM
lotsajizz I'm with Zack on this--the lysergia fairly drips from Pompeii while The Wall-- IMHO -- unsettles the shit out of the listener, brings me face to face with too many things I listen to music to escape from, and plods too many places where it should rock. The Wall -- to me -- is important, but rarely played. That being said, the five live "Comfortably Numb" 's I've seen have transported me to better places, but not without choking up....
24th February 2008 08:04 PM
Poplar
put Dark Side on the ipod for teh eclipse the other night. for as many times as i've heard it, it STILL rocks my world. that album is super-human. aliens must have provided some kind of secret music knowledge or something. it's amazing.

Meddle is also very good.
24th February 2008 08:08 PM
The jinn, my friend. The Wall is deep. I like horror flicks though. And The Wall is the biggest horror flick I know.
I like it when an artist representation make you think and ya got to watch more than one time to catch all the details.
However, I also like easy thinkers, occasionally.

24th February 2008 08:19 PM
Dan
quote:
Joey wrote:

I too feel the love ..........

I love you Joey!
24th February 2008 08:24 PM
zooeyglass
quote:
The jinn, my friend. wrote:
The Wall is deep. I like horror flicks though. And The Wall is the biggest horror flick I know.
I like it when an artist representation make you think and ya got to watch more than one time to catch all the details.
However, I also like easy thinkers, occasionally.

I like the way you put that; obviously The Wall wasn't supposed to be remotely pleasant, album OR movie. I think it inevitably starts to gather dust as you get older though and feel less alienated.

I'm reminded of the clueless idiots at the Roger Waters concerts in the 1980s who would do the crossed arm salute to In The Flesh. I don't think some people ever really got it.

Don't suppose anyone gets into Atom Heart Mother or Obscured by Clouds much?
24th February 2008 08:29 PM
lotsajizz Obscured By Clouds and a lunch break bong hit (or three) lengthened many a working afternoon....don't forget 'More' or 'Zabriskie Point'!!
24th February 2008 08:44 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
zooeyglass wrote:

I like the way you put that; obviously The Wall wasn't supposed to be remotely pleasant, album OR movie. I think it inevitably starts to gather dust as you get older though and feel less alienated.

I'm reminded of the clueless idiots at the Roger Waters concerts in the 1980s who would do the crossed arm salute to In The Flesh. I don't think some people ever really got it.

Don't suppose anyone gets into Atom Heart Mother or Obscured by Clouds much?

No saying The Wall should be a happy escape is like saying Psycho should be a happy go lucky movie. The Wall was meant to scare and scar.
24th February 2008 08:47 PM
mojoman
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Obscured By Clouds and a lunch break bong hit (or three) lengthened many a working afternoon....don't forget 'More' or 'Zabriskie Point'!!

never. some choice garcia ambience on ZP also.
24th February 2008 09:13 PM
lotsajizz it is a perfect album/soundtrack
24th February 2008 09:13 PM
zooeyglass
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Obscured By Clouds and a lunch break bong hit (or three) lengthened many a working afternoon....don't forget 'More' or 'Zabriskie Point'!!

Yesss, and let's not forget Ummagumma either -- well, at least some parts. Great early Gilmour on The Narrow Way.
24th February 2008 11:19 PM
Zack
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I'm with Zack on this--the lysergia fairly drips from Pompeii while The Wall-- IMHO -- unsettles the shit out of the listener, brings me face to face with too many things I listen to music to escape from, and plods too many places where it should rock. The Wall -- to me -- is important, but rarely played. That being said, the five live "Comfortably Numb" 's I've seen have transported me to better places, but not without choking up....

Too true, jizzy! But it's easy not to take the album seriously while the movie is way too literal. But like you say, the Wall's high points are fantastic. More than half the album I'd say.

Still, as much as I love the later Floyd, the totally noncommercial uniqueness of the 68-71 era is like nothing else in the rock genre. In a word, the Floyd were greater when they weren't great. I just listened to Smokin' Blues from Montreaux 70 today - among the best sound/performance combos I have.
25th February 2008 12:10 AM
mojoman
quote:
Zack wrote:

Too true, jizzy! But it's easy not to take the album seriously while the movie is way too literal. But like you say, the Wall's high points are fantastic. More than half the album I'd say.

Still, as much as I love the later Floyd, the totally noncommercial uniqueness of the 68-71 era is like nothing else in the rock genre. In a word, the Floyd were greater when they weren't great. I just listened to Smokin' Blues from Montreaux 70 today - among the best sound/performance combos I have.

i'm wishin for a official BBC seesions release from the floyd. time for them to join zep,who,kinks,small faces,move,moody blues,cream,yardbirds,soft machine and syd.
25th February 2008 05:29 PM
Joey
quote:
Dan wrote:

I love you Joey!

Come To Joey ...................

J " Snuggle - To - The - Joe " FLY !!!!!! ™
25th February 2008 05:42 PM
Zack
quote:
mojoman wrote:

i'm wishin for a official BBC seesions release from the floyd. time for them to join zep,who,kinks,small faces,move,moody blues,cream,yardbirds,soft machine and syd.

Yes, the Syd-era sessions would finally bring the lost classics Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man to light, and John Peel sessions from 70 and 71 both have outstanding versions of Embryo (in two arrangements - the first with the seagulls and one without after the effect was used in Echoes) and a rare Atom Heart Mother with choir and orchestra, an extremely rare If, a 15-minute Fat Old Sun, and the first public performances of Echoes and One of These Days.
25th February 2008 07:31 PM
The jinn, my friend. This is not a thread about The Wall. I know for a fact that Pink did more than The Wall.
However,
I am going to attempt to talk about this with out researching.

The wall had another movie beside the one we all are familiar with. I do not remember so much what that movie based on.

I do know that The Wall had a profound impact on me, not so much by music style, but by story line. I would have numerically torn apart The Wall by mid teens. It profusely effected the way I perceived the music industry. By the time I reached pre-adult. I would have solidified my perception that this Album was indeed about "Labels". I stamped Productions as sinful and only acceptable in non-descriptor. So there was my first conflict. I could not accept labels religiously, however I could not have describe events. So ~~~~~ is a resort to regional. Ya gotta go location X to play. So why not stay home and play away!

It may make you personally uncomforable to know that I am so comfortable with the Character's script:

Are there any queers in the theater tonight
Get'em up against the wall
There's one in the spotlight
He don't look right to me
Get him up against the wall
And that one looks Jewish
And that one's a coon
Who let all this riff-raff into the room
There's one smoking a joint
And another with spots
If I had my way
I'd have all of you shot

That is disturbing I agree.
But this script is what gets me into the lull:

So ya
Thought ya
Might like to go to the show
To feel the warm thrill of confusion
That space cadet glow
I've got some bad news for you sunshine
Pink isn't well he stayed back at the hotel
And they sent us along as a surrogate band
And we're going to find out where you fans
Really stand

To me this is what stands critical of the whole album.

~notes
.Prior to and after is subject.
.wittiness to many court procedurals.
.I see this as on target for a guise.

~Anyway~

There was a movie before this one we discuss does anyone remember this other interpretation?

You tube links, please.
Respect,
~JC~

[Edited by The jinn, my friend.]
25th February 2008 09:26 PM
pdog
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Too bad it'll never happen really. For the longest time it was Roger who was the holdout. Now it seems that David is the one that has no interest in it. Though never say never I guess. I'd imagine that a very successful Led Zep tour, and all the cash that would come from it, would get the attention of even a semi-retired Dave Gilmour.

I just loaded Meddle into my I-pod and was amazed at how great that record still sounds. It's always great to rediscover an album that you haven't listened to in years. Floyd records always seem to have that trait for me.

Riffy

I put a bunch on my iPod to... Beeen digging up the old stuff a bunch since seeing Waters last year. I'm also getting an 80 gig, my 30 doesn't hold more than 60% of what I own, commercially. Bootlegs not included.
26th February 2008 03:14 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Dan wrote:

I love you Joey!

Yes! But, it's old Joey that is................

Photobucket
26th February 2008 03:37 PM
TomL Just go see Roger Waters, he is doing some dates in the states and Europe. Not many though.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)