ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Idaho Center, Boise, Idaho - 14th November 2006
© Idaho Statesman with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Question about DVD live at Tokyo Dome 1990 (and a tip for the French) Return to archive
22nd February 2008 07:28 AM
egon I bought this dvd here in France:

can anyone tell me what the deal is? cos this does not seem
to be official, yet i got it at Virgin...

oh yeah, the tip for the French: it's on sale for 8 euros!

22nd February 2008 08:15 AM
Gazza Definitely a bootleg..its not officially available. Interesting that although you got it in France, its an NTSC DVD.

Worth the price for the versions of Sympathy or Gimme Shelter alone. One of the best stadium shows of the band's entire career.
22nd February 2008 08:22 AM
JohnLeeHacker First time i see that.
1 month ago, i bought the "Stones at the Tokyo Dome" 1995(FNAC) - 16€. Don't know if it's official or not (i prefer not to go in the kitchen), some good songs from "Voodoo Lounge".
22nd February 2008 08:25 AM
egon
quote:
JohnLeeHacker wrote:
First time i see that.
1 month ago, i bought the "Stones at the Tokyo Dome" 1995(FNAC) - 16€. Don't know if it's official or not (i prefer not to go in the kitchen), some good songs from "Voodoo Lounge".

i saw that one at fnac.
it's from the same company as this one.

but strange that stores like fnac & virgin sell bootlegs...
22nd February 2008 08:49 AM
JohnLeeHacker These stores sell also MP3 and all kind of that material to copy and they cry they don't sell no more cd & dvd...
it's time to change for them.
22nd February 2008 11:36 AM
Gazza
quote:
JohnLeeHacker wrote:
First time i see that.

I think this one is an official import now. It was originally only issued many years ago in Japan as a laserdisc. I think it was recently released there as a DVD as well, although I;m not 100% sure.
22nd February 2008 11:47 AM
Erik_Snow
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I think this one is an official import now. It was originally only issued many years ago in Japan as a laserdisc. I think it was recently released there as a DVD as well, although I;m not 100% sure.

The DVD turned out to be a bootleg - a copy of the "WOW" release (famous DVD boot-label)
22nd February 2008 11:57 AM
Gazza Ok..well I notice this 1990 show is on that label too. Thanks
22nd February 2008 12:08 PM
Fiji Joe Egon...does that DVD fit in Skype?
22nd February 2008 12:46 PM
glencar That set list was only 21 songs. Were they that short back then?
22nd February 2008 12:56 PM
Erik_Snow
quote:
glencar wrote:
That set list was only 21 songs. Were they that short back then?

THe DVD is missing 2000 Light Years From Home and Sympathy For The Devil - if memory serves, those 2 songs wasn't a part of the original broadcast, but they popped up on a re-broadcast later on.

Come to think of it; there has been some semi-official releases these days; remember that Dylan 1979-1996 CD/DVD? Maybe these Tokyo 1990 and 1995 DVDs is in the same vein; TV broadcasted material that somehow isn't considered copyrighted/illegal anymore? That would also explain why they didn't include 2000 Light Years From Home/Sympathy For The Devil from the re-broadcast, as those 2 songs contains samples from the DECCA records.... ABKCO would sue them.

[Edited by Erik_Snow]
22nd February 2008 12:58 PM
glencar But several of the older songs are also from Decca Records, no?
22nd February 2008 01:06 PM
Erik_Snow
quote:
glencar wrote:
But several of the older songs are also from Decca Records, no?

But they don't contain "samples" of the released versions.
Matt Clifford used some samples for the beginning of 2000 Light Years and Sympathy - stored at his keyboard.

There was an "offical bootleg" in the early 90s; "Atlantic City 89", where "Swingin Pig" had to remove 2000 Light Years - because ABKCO sued them, due to those samples.

Anyway for all I know, this DVD could be 100% illegal, it just seemed like quite a coincidence that broadcasted material is being available in official stores these days - it's almost like there's something wrong with the "copyright-laws"
22nd February 2008 01:10 PM
glencar Ah! Interesting...
22nd February 2008 02:51 PM
Gazza
quote:
Erik_Snow wrote:

THe DVD is missing 2000 Light Years From Home and Sympathy For The Devil - if memory serves, those 2 songs wasn't a part of the original broadcast, but they popped up on a re-broadcast later on.

Thats quite correct
22nd February 2008 04:13 PM
Mr Jurkka I was thinkin of buying that dvd. Is it the same concert what is in youtube?

22nd February 2008 04:17 PM
egon
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Egon...does that DVD fit in Skype?

ANYTHING fits in skype my friend. :-)

make sure you're online this weekend!
22nd February 2008 04:17 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
glencar wrote:
That set list was only 21 songs. Were they that short back then?

I think they did about 27 songs on Steel wheels/UJ tour.

[Edited by Mr Jurkka]
22nd February 2008 04:18 PM
egon well if it's illegal, i have no problem with handing out copies...
23rd February 2008 12:26 PM
axl79 They ara available here in Sweden aswell.
I bought both on the swedish internet site www.ginza.se
around 8 euros each.
Don't know if they take international orders.

World tour Voodoo in Japan 1995
NTSC Speltid: 133 min (23 tracks)

Steel wheels Tokyo 1990
NTSC Speltid: 117 min (21 tracks)

[Edited by axl79]
26th February 2008 03:34 AM
Linda Any good quality on this one?? I bought a DVD with Bruce which is not an official release from cdon.com and it was in crappy quality...

/Linda
26th February 2008 03:50 AM
axl79
quote:
Linda wrote:
Any good quality on this one?? I bought a DVD with Bruce which is not an official release from cdon.com and it was in crappy quality...

/Linda

Hi Linda,
This is Pro-shot in exe quality.

Actually you can get it right now at the "zomb tracker"
see link below (you need to create an account)

http://zombtracker.the-zomb.com/details.php?id=21757

[Edited by axl79]
26th February 2008 02:50 PM
Linda
quote:
axl79 wrote:

Hi Linda,
This is Pro-shot in exe quality.

Actually you can get it right now at the "zomb tracker"
see link below (you new to create an account)

http://zombtracker.the-zomb.com/details.php?id=21757

The Bruce one was pro-shot as well (Don't think cdon would go as far as selling anything else.. He He)

Thanks for the link
/Linda
26th February 2008 06:46 PM
M.O.W.A.T. This DVD is missing probably the most amazing version of latter day Sympathy for the Devil. Cold Steel Blue's (the audio of this show) version gets the most play on my stereo.
27th February 2008 09:11 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff Ehy!!
I bought too in Paris some mounts ago at Virgin store !!!!!!
But I pay 9 €!!!!!
Whao !
Fabio
27th February 2008 12:49 PM
Sister Morphine It's on Ebay germany/Austria, too, for anyone who's interested. 9€.

It's the same DVD, isn't it?

http://cgi.ebay.at/The-Rolling-Stones-Voodoo-Lounge-World-TourTokyo-95-DVD_W0QQitemZ310024527063QQihZ021QQcategoryZ68565QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I must come back for a little more,
Charli

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)