ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Idaho Center, Boise, Idaho - 14th November 2006
© Idaho Statesman with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: LET IT BLEED by Ethan Russell ==> Some pictures from the book Return to archive
19th February 2008 10:52 PM
GotToRollMe Article from Time.com:

LET IT BLEED
Photographs and Text by Ethan Russell

The Rolling Stones 1969 American Tour
In Let It Bleed, a lavishly illustrated and researched new book, photographer Ethan Russell tells the epic tale of how the World's Greatest Rock and Roll Bank (sic?) conquered America, invented the modern tour, and met with tragedy at Altamont.

Is It Only Rock 'n' Roll?
By the time the Stones opened their tour in November, more than three years had passed since their last American concert. Because of a conviction on a drug charge, guitarist Brian Jones had been unable to get a U.S. visa, thereby preventing the band from coming to America. Jones' untimely death in July, 1969 paved the way for the arrival of a new band member, Mick Taylor, and the opportunity to tour once again.

Maestro Mick Jagger
Says photographer Ethan Russell, "Mick Jagger was one of the first to understand that they were making more than music. This was performance and entertainment." The band accordingly took control of every aspect of their tour. They brought their own lights and hired the opening acts. Up until that point, those responsibilities would have fallen to a promoter.

Press Conference
The original schedule called for 16 concerts over a period of 23 days. A final show - to be performed at the International Speedway near Altamont California - was announced at Rockefeller Center in New York (above) toward the end of the tour.

No Expectactions
Much of the music on the 1969 tour was drawn from the classic Beggar's Banquet album and the yet-to-be-released Let It Bleed. In this photo, taken at the pool behind Stephen Stills' house in Los Angeles, Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards examine the upcoming album's cover art.

Gimme Shelter
Mick Taylor and Keith Richards relax in the kitchen at Stephen Stills' house. The touring party consisted of only 16 people.

Rehearsal
Richards works through some chord progressions in the basement practice space at Stephen Stills' house. Says bass player Bill Wyman, "We did some rehearsals. We didn't do a lot. You know what the Stones are like. It was mostly party time."

Negotiation
The band was torn about which American television show to appear on. The Smothers Brothers were regarded as much hipper, but Ed Sullivan reached a wider audience. Despite a face-to-face meeting with Tommy Smothers (above, second from right), the band opted for Sullivan.

A Really Big Show
On November 18, the band "plays" for the Sullivan show. The band mimed while Jagger sang, and audience screams were added afterwards.

Backstage in L.A.
Keith Richards relaxes on the floor before the concert at the Forum in Los Angeles.

Get Yer Ya Ya's Out
Bill Wyman and Mick Jagger head for the stage in L.A. The tour gave rise to a live concert album as well as a Maysles' Brothers documentary.

Performance
Jagger preens at the show in Ft. Collins, Colorado.

Madison Square Garden
Said bassist Wyman: "I felt great about the '69 tour right from the beginning. The audience were fantastic...We got great reviews. The records were selling really well...We did what? Twenty shows? They were all great up until Altamont."

It's a Gas, Gas, Gas
The audience surges toward the stage in Los Angeles. This was a regular occurrence that often made the venue security nervous. When Manager Allen Klein was asked what he would do when 20,000 kids rushed the stage, he replied, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Rock Idol
Keith Richards gazes at American rock legend Chuck Berry. When Berry appeared backstage, writer Stanley Booth remarked, Richards "reverted to what (he) was when he first heard Chuck Berry: a little English schoolboy in his uniform and cap."

Some Girls
Writer Booth overhead one groupie say, "You can have Mick Taylor. It doesn't matter. I'm not choosy."

Jam Session
Jagger and Richards play for legendary bluesman Bukka White (left) and singer-songwriter Gram Parsons (lower right, in hat).

Midnight Rambler
Of Richards' performances, Booth writes, "Keith, his eyes closed, was controlling with nods and shakes the rhythm of the entire building."

Mighty Close For Comfort
A fan rushes on stage. Unlike modern shows, the 1969 tour stage was low to the ground, and more than a few fans tried to climb up.

Altamont
The cars of concertgoers litter the freeway leading to the concert-ground. The Stones added the show in the belief that they could recreate the magic of Woodstock, which had taken place three months earlier. But free tickets, out-of-control crowds and poor security combined to create a disastrous result.

Bad Scene
Of the show at Altamont, photographer Russell says, "It was chaotic beyond belief. The stage was bowed from all the people who were on it. Sixty or seventy people, lots of Hells Angels, lots of hangers on. All I wanted from the minute I got there was to get out."

Tragedy Strikes
All of the good vibes on the 1969 tour crumbled in one horrifying moment, when concertgoer Meredith Hunter (in green, staring up at the man in black leather) got into an altercation with a member of the Hell's Angels, whom the band had been hired to provide additional security. When Hunter drew a gun, one of the Angels pulled a knife and stabbed him to death.

Shattered
Of Altamont, Jagger said, "I thought the scene in San Francisco was supposed to be so groovy. I don't know what happened; it was terrible. If Jesus had been there, he would have been crucified."

All photographs (c) Ethan Russell. All Rights Reserved. www.ethanrussell.com

Link: http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1710013,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

Link to LetItBleed site:
http://www.letitbleedbook.com/

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
20th February 2008 12:15 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl WOW what a great bunch of pix! Some new or me.

I'm the proud owner of one original by Ethan Russel, and he authorized me some pix for the upcoming Nicky Hopkins website in its third edition
20th February 2008 02:45 AM
TampabayStone Sweet!!
20th February 2008 08:56 AM
PartyDoll MEG Great stuff, GTRM!! Thanks for sharing!
20th February 2008 09:29 AM
nankerphelge Look at that grin on Keith's face looking at Chuck Berry!

Looks like he is gonna giggle!
20th February 2008 09:32 AM
Lazy Bones thanks for sharing those terrific pics!
20th February 2008 09:41 AM
Tom Fantastic pics! Thank you
20th February 2008 12:49 PM
Child of the Moon WOW. Those were excellent! Thank you!
20th February 2008 12:53 PM
Gimme Shelter Very cool pics!!!!
20th February 2008 01:52 PM
moy great pix, thank you

how much is that book?
20th February 2008 04:11 PM
guitarman53 Thanks a million GTRM, I have a old Ramparts magazine by Michael Lydon from about '70, about the whole tour, the pics you included tell the story of the articles I read, like Bukka White, an old black bluesman from Memphis, cousin & teacher of B.B. King, is backstage at the Forum, & a young white friend takes him in to meet The Stones, Keith is sitting plucking out a tune on his National Steel guitar, that's Bukka's instrument, & he listens for a minute, then to Mick, "Why that boy's pickin'" says Bukka, genuinely amazed, "He's a star, Hey boy" & he taps Keith knee, "you ever cut any records? You're that good boy"
20th February 2008 04:20 PM
gypsy Thanks, GTRM! Those photos are awesome. I wish I could afford that book.
20th February 2008 04:23 PM
gypsy >Writer Booth overhead one groupie say, "You can have Mick Taylor. It doesn't matter. I'm not choosy."<

BAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! That's funny!
I'm sure the same thing was said about Wyman, no?
20th February 2008 06:12 PM
Soldatti Great pics, thanks a lot.
20th February 2008 06:17 PM
Gazza Super pics. I wish i had that book!
21st February 2008 11:33 AM
Bitch
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Thanks, GTRM! Those photos are awesome. I wish I could afford that book.

Yeah it was selling for $450.00 at the gallery in The Village last month where he had his display. It's a big and heavy book, will make a really nice cocktail table display.
21st February 2008 12:28 PM
Mr Jurkka Very cool 70's pics. Those were the days.
21st February 2008 02:37 PM
gypsy
quote:
Bitch wrote:

Yeah it was selling for $450.00 at the gallery in The Village last month where he had his display. It's a big and heavy book, will make a really nice cocktail table display.

I'm sure it would. I have a huge collection of great books, and would love to add this one to it. I just bought two Coach purses and one Louis Vuitton, so I don't have the money right now. Hopefully, I can purchase one within the next couple of weeks.
21st February 2008 04:51 PM
glencar Can one order it on line? I simply must have it!
21st February 2008 06:51 PM
CousinC I always really liked Russel's pics! He's been my favourite photographer of the late 60s/ early 70's Stones.

There are some more nice shots in the David Dalton book from 72.(Mostly from the 71 British tour).

Shame that this book is soo expensive!
21st February 2008 10:36 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
Thanks a million GTRM, I have a old Ramparts magazine by Michael Lydon from about '70, about the whole tour, the pics you included tell the story of the articles I read, like Bukka White, an old black bluesman from Memphis, cousin & teacher of B.B. King, is backstage at the Forum, & a young white friend takes him in to meet The Stones, Keith is sitting plucking out a tune on his National Steel guitar, that's Bukka's instrument, & he listens for a minute, then to Mick, "Why that boy's pickin'" says Bukka, genuinely amazed, "He's a star, Hey boy" & he taps Keith knee, "you ever cut any records? You're that good boy"

Ramparts! Far out, man. That was my favorite mag back during the Revolution.
23rd February 2008 12:11 PM
axl79 Not bad !
I wish i had the money to by this book.---
23rd February 2008 05:54 PM
Bitch
quote:
gypsy wrote:

I'm sure it would. I have a huge collection of great books, and would love to add this one to it. I just bought two Coach purses and one Louis Vuitton, so I don't have the money right now. Hopefully, I can purchase one within the next couple of weeks.

Nice! Designer Handbags or Rolling Stones book obsession ~ a tough choice for sure! But Coach & Louis V bags are such beautiful accessories ~ what a girl wants ~ what a girl needs!
23rd February 2008 09:40 PM
GotToRollMe

From SF Weekly Arts & Entertainment:

Old Wounds
By Michael Leaverton
Published: February 20, 2008

In 1969, the Rolling Stones embarked on a historic tour that culminated in Altamont, a show people insist on calling the end of an era instead of just a royally screwed up afternoon. Wouldn't you know it, the band brought a photographer along (in addition to the Hell's Angels). Ethan Russell's beautiful collector's book Let it Bleed: The Rolling Stones 1969 U.S. Tour features hundreds of Stones pics, but here's something weird about it: Eighty percent of them have never been published. What's Russell been waiting for? Perhaps this month, in which 100 of the photos go up on walls for the "Let it Bleed" exhibit, which has been quietly dozing for almost 40 years. It's a crucial event for early-Stones fans (and if you aren't, Mick's cherubic mug should change that), and not only because of the pictures -- at the invitation-only opening reception on March 1, the famed photographer will also be there. Go ahead, ask him about Brian Jones.
March 1-April 6, 2008

Link: http://www.sfweekly.com/2008-02-20/calendar/old-wounds/
------------------------------------------------------
More on the gallery exhibitions here:

Link: http://www.letitbleedbook.com/newsevents.php

Ethan Russell Gallery Exhibitions

Ethan Russell will exhibit photographic prints from the 1969 Rolling Stones tour beginning March 1 at San Francisco Art Exchange, 458 Geary Street, San Francisco, California. 415-441-8840. More info at [email protected] or, call toll free: 800 344 9633 ::www.sfae.com
On DECEMBER 13th, the East Coast exhibit opened in NEW YORK CITY at the MORRISON HOTEL GALLERY 124 Prince Street (212 941 8770). The show, featuring many never before seen prints, will be on view through January 15th, 2008 :: Morrison Hotel Gallery
EXHIBITS IN SAN FRANCISCO, LONDON, AND ROTTERDAM ARE UPCOMING. Stay in touch at www.ethanrussell.com
Ethan Russell Photographs are available in signed, limited editions at www.ethanrussell.com.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
25th February 2008 03:09 AM
FotiniD Wow, these are all awesome GTRM!!!
Looks like a fantastic book.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)