ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Idaho Center, Boise, Idaho - 14th November 2006
© Idaho Statesman with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Shine A Light Soundtrack cover (updated to include track listings) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
18th February 2008 08:38 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
glencar wrote:
I like AC so I wasn't at pissed as some of you. I was offended more by the whole way it was done. And the inconvenience that others faced.

Like finding out in the middle of the 2 hour Delaware traffic jam???
18th February 2008 11:23 PM
sammy davis jr. Thank god, not another version of Honkey Tonk Women.
18th February 2008 11:32 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:

That was one of the toughest phone calls I ever had to make.
BUT...we did get an ass-kicker of a make-up show.
19th February 2008 01:28 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Best live tracklist ever. Although, it's notable that there's not a single ABB track on it. Granted, SAL is not an orthodox post-tour souvenir. But this is the first time, is it not, that they've put out a live release and not included material from the album they were putatively promoting?

Yeah, I think you're right. I never looked at the Beacon shows as part of the ABB tour, though. I always saw them as something separate. They did sell ABB merchandise though right?
19th February 2008 02:23 AM
CrissCrossMind Clinton Cigars ... at the Beacon ... were the top seller ... CCM
19th February 2008 07:52 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Best live tracklist ever. Although, it's notable that there's not a single ABB track on it. Granted, SAL is not an orthodox post-tour souvenir. But this is the first time, is it not, that they've put out a live release and not included material from the album they were putatively promoting?

Yes, but then again, the Beacon shows were also probably the first time theyve ever PLAYED a show during a tour which didnt include any songs from the album they were touring behind - so it follows that none will be on the live album.
19th February 2008 11:21 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Yes, but then again, the Beacon shows were also probably the first time theyve ever PLAYED a show during a tour which didnt include any songs from the album they were touring behind - so it follows that none will be on the live album.

it was a wise move to not play anything from ABB because as a general release motion picture, the general public would have realised that those songs were below par and unknown to them. I guess some of the rarely played tunes on SAL would be unknown to some non die-hard fans, but their standard is higher than the likes of RJ, ONNYA and RFD
19th February 2008 11:41 AM
Fiji Joe Early Japan Release

Doesn't list the tracks

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICY-90794
19th February 2008 11:51 AM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

it was a wise move to not play anything from ABB because as a general release motion picture, the general public would have realised that those songs were below par and unknown to them. I guess some of the rarely played tunes on SAL would be unknown to some non die-hard fans, but their standard is higher than the likes of RJ, ONNYA and RFD

Oh, I've no qualms about the setlist at those shows - dont get me wrong.

For $50 and $35 a ticket to see the Stones in a theatre, they could play a Westlife medley for all I care.
19th February 2008 06:54 PM
Mel Belli Going to see a screening on Friday. I'll post a review as soon as I can!
19th February 2008 07:21 PM
glencar
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:

I had a 3 1/2 hour drive & even drove a boozy Shiddooobbeeean back to Manhattan. Still do it again. Then again, I did get to see the Beacon show...
20th February 2008 03:28 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
glencar wrote:
I had a 3 1/2 hour drive & even drove a boozy Shiddooobbeeean back to Manhattan. Still do it again. Then again, I did get to see the Beacon show...

Photobucket
20th February 2008 06:45 AM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

If anyone still had any doubts this release confirms that the Stones are purely a nostalgia act.

This is how the general public views them, and this is how the Stones WANT to be perceived..
20th February 2008 07:36 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Going to see a screening on Friday. I'll post a review as soon as I can!

Look forward to that, Mel! Enjoy!!!
22nd February 2008 04:40 PM
Mel Belli All right, a few quick impressions: The movie really is, as Charlie said in Berlin, "beautifully filmed" -- a lot of depth and richness and pop. With the Beacon's art-deco backdrop, the band just looks cool and ageless.

The sound separation of the audio tracks is superb; clearly, as is often the case with Stones live documents, there were some overdubs, but nothing egregious. And there are even a few clams left in.

The setlist, while, as everyone knows, not a complete show, flows very well, and it was an absolute pleasure to have songs like "Loving Cup" and "Far Away Eyes" and "Some Girls" see such prominence. The warhorses that emerge toward the end -- SMU, BS, and Satisfaction -- feel almost perfunctory and are far less interesting than what precedes them.

One thing's for sure: Marty's team of cameras couldn't get enough of Mick. In such an intimate setting, Mick almost overwhelms the movie; the guy, quite literally, doesn't stop. As inspiring as it is to seem him in such superhuman condition, there are times when you want him to tone down the gymnastics. (Again, this has to do with scale and setting: Mick is using to working stadiums and arenas; but, as he worried during the IMAX filming, his "gestures" risk looking ridiculous.)

But, God, does he sound good. You really notice how good of a singer Mick still is, especially when he's paired with Jack White, whose crooning is thin and strained when measured against Mick's. (And I say that as a fan of Jack's.)

True Stones fans won't be surprised, but Charlie is the "scene stealer" of the movie. Some of the archival and interview footage that's woven into the performance piece -- a lot of which I'd never seen before -- shows how utterly detached and above-it-all Charlie is. He's hilarious.

One scene that, hours later, is a bit haunting: Keith at the conclusion of "Satisfaction." He kneels down, like he often does, but this time he hews to the guitar, breathing heavily, as though he seriously needs to gather his strength before standing up again. The camera lingers on him. A telling moment.

All in a night's work, it seems. The movie is very straightforward and pretty soundly met my expectations. They've never looked or sounded better on film. At two hours' running time, I didn't want it to end. Bravo, Marty.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
22nd February 2008 04:52 PM
gimmekeef Thanks Mel...you tend to have a pretty balanced approach and not a cheerleader.This makes me feel we've got something to really look forward too!....Thanks
22nd February 2008 04:54 PM
glencar ditto
22nd February 2008 06:16 PM
Gazza Nice summary, Mel. Thanks. Look forward to seeing it.
22nd February 2008 06:26 PM
PartyDoll MEG Thanks, Mel!
22nd February 2008 11:20 PM
Bob Tamp great review.
23rd February 2008 09:10 AM
mrhipfl Thanks for the review Mel Belli. When you say that they've never sounded better on film are you talking about the sound and production of it or the actual performance quality?
23rd February 2008 11:57 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
Thanks for the review Mel Belli. When you say that they've never sounded better on film are you talking about the sound and production of it or the actual performance quality?

The performance is quite good, but I was referring more to the production. Do they play better than in "Ladies and Gentleman"? Of course not. But there are some great moments. There are four cuts from "Some Girls," and they all smoke -- particularly "Just My Imagination."
23rd February 2008 05:49 PM
Bitch
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

One scene that, hours later, is a bit haunting: Keith at the conclusion of "Satisfaction." He kneels down, like he often does, but this time he hews to the guitar, breathing heavily, as though he seriously needs to gather his strength before standing up again. The camera lingers on him. A telling moment.

[Edited by Mel Belli]

thanks Mel! Yes, I noticed KEEF in a similar position at Giants Stadium. As he bowed down, the guitar around him looked like an extension of his body, and a heavy weight, yet Keef is almost attached to it.
23rd February 2008 08:00 PM
glencar He knows the end is near...
24th February 2008 08:11 AM
Bob Tamp Thanks Mel for your insight. The way I see it is that this film shows just how good this band still is for 2006.
They can still kick major ass in their own way when they're up for it. If this show is a great show for the stones in 2006 which from what I've read seems to indicate so, I will be more than pleased with the final result. At least it's not prepackaged music that now consumes the airwaves.

I am not expecting Brussells 73 material from it, and neither should anyone on this board. To this day, I dont think any live band including the WHO, ZEP, etc etc has touched the rawness and greatness of that 73 boot. And no, I am not starting the boring old Taylor vs Wood debate.
27th February 2008 05:02 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Jeep wrote:

Of course !
It was just one of my fake covers :

I LOVE this!!! Where did you get that pic? Did you make the actual Pic somehow or just paste those words on a Pic you found?

I remember this when "Manhattan Beach" was a rumored title for ABB album. I like the name and I LOVE this album cover you have here. I never forgot about how cool it was (and now that I see it again, still is.)

Ian
27th February 2008 06:32 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I don't know man. I'd be concerned if he weren't tired and outta breath after playing a 2 hour rock n' roll show.
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)