ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Alamy with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan Don't Look Back Deluxe Edition DVD (nsc) Return to archive
27th February 2007 06:20 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle From billboard.com:
Another Side Of Dylan On Display In Film Outtakes
February 27, 2007
Wes Orshoski, N.Y.

Through catching him trying on loud, skinny ties, playing nice with journalists or waving at fans, a new version of D.A. Pennebaker's famed Bob Dylan documentary "Don't Look Back" paints the singer as a warmer, funnier icon in the making.

While packaged with new commentaries from Pennebaker and road manager Bob Neuwirth, as well as a special paperback book and a clever flip-book, the jewels in the new "Bob Dylan: Dont Look Back 1965 Tour Deluxe Edition" are found in the batch of unused footage, such as uncut performances of such classics as "Don't Think Twice" and "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue."

Before a special screening of the outtakes last night (Feb. 26) at the Museum of Television and Radio in New York, Pennebaker was interviewed by Neuwirth. He noted that he initially dreaded the idea of doing "Dont Look Back 2," and that he never had any plans to release the onstage or offstage leftovers.

"When I made 'Dont Look Back,' I thought I was writing this play, about this character. It wasn't a musical comedy -- it was a real play, a piece of theater, so I cut short all the music, because I figured people who were interested in his music would go out and buy his record and that would take care of that," he said.

But when prodded by Walker Lamond, the editor of the new outtakes, he said he saw the value in releasing the full performances. "When I watched them from beginning to end, I thought, 'Holy sh*t.' He would play to audiences of 2,000-3000 people -- a full theater -- and they would be spellbound, deadly silent, listening to every clink and clatter that he made."

In Sheffield, Dylan is seen surrounded by charmingly awkward and totally starstruck fans, who, in a loss for words, ask him what time the show starts and when he arrived in town. "I don't know what to say," says one. "Me neither," says Dylan.

Before the screening, Patti Smith recalled spending "weeks pay at the factory" to travel to Philadelphia and New York from her home in south New Jersey to see the film, noting that it influenced everything from the way she talks to the way she walks.

"For me, 'Don't Look Back' showed an artist who was both deeply generous and caring, had a sense of social responsibility but was also arrogant, free and new," she said. "And I think what I got from watching [the film] was the sense that all of these things were important -- not just to have attitude, but to have something to back it up.

After the screening, Pennebaker remembered Dylan nudging him to film him at the piano, thus capturing both a song in progress, and one of the film's most spellbinding moments. In one of the outtakes, Neuwirth, Grossman and Dylan are seen talking about the Beatles' planned visit to Dylan's famed Royal Albert Hall show in London, and where they would go if the crowd got out of control.

When asked why he didn't film the Beatles and Dylan together, Pennebaker said he did, dismissing the footage as "very sloppy," before adding: "The Beatles were just the Beatles. I wanted the movie to be about Bob Dylan."

DVD is out today.

27th February 2007 06:38 PM
fireontheplatter i own 1 bob dylan cd and it is called....blood on the tracks.
i love it

to many of these delus this and delux that stuff coming out now i just can't afford it.

27th February 2007 07:35 PM
Gazza There's been two DVD's worth of outtakes available amongst collectors for a couple of years now. I'm curious as to whether the special edition will contain much stuff that we dont already have, but - as it's the best music film ever made - I'll be buying it anyway when it gets its UK release on April 16th, the same day that I'll be seeing his Bobness in London.

Trailer here (the 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' intro the film): http://dylan.docurama.com/files/trailerHI.mov

and a complete 'Its all over now, baby Blue" from the new version:
http://dylan.docurama.com/files/babyblueHI.mov

Loads more promo stuff here :
http://dylan.docurama.com/

And the press release containing info about the deluxe edition, which also includes TWO books :
http://dylan.docurama.com/files/release.doc
28th February 2007 12:56 PM
Martha I'm drooling!
1st March 2007 07:53 AM
Gazza and once you get tired of reading the Dont look Back books, here's another one for you. Dylan must have had more books written about his career than any other artist (I even have one from 20 years ago called "Oh No, Not Another Bob Dylan Book")....

Omnibus Press Launches New Bob Dylan Book

Bob Dylan: Intimate Insights From Friends and Fellow Musicians. (PRNewsFoto/Omnibus Press)

NEW YORK, NY UNITED STATES 02/28/2007

Bob Dylan: Intimate Insights From Friends And Fellow Musicians Hits Stores
June 2007

NEW YORK, Feb. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- Omnibus Press, a division of The
Music Sales Group, is pleased to announce the June 2007 release of Kathleen
Mackay's new book, Bob Dylan: Intimate Insights From Friends And Fellow
Musicians (ISBN 0.8256.7330.5, $22.95).

The new book is a unique oral history of a major musician who has
played a significant role in America's cultural history for the last 40
years. Dylan's friends-from Pete Seeger to Bruce Springsteen to Rosanne
Cash to Bono to Tom Petty-offer insight into the singer-songwriter's
artistic genius and personality. His story is told by the musicians who
were at his side during the rollicking changes and artistic breakthroughs
of the '60s. Bob Dylan: Intimate Insights From Friends And Fellow Musicians
provides a keen portrait of the friendships that helped shape important
musicians whose voices influenced our society as a whole. Herein are
insights not only into Dylan's elusive personality, but into the lives of
the major musicians of our times.
As Rosanne Cash extols, "This is a book not only about Bob, but about
the historical moment in which he developed, arrived and transformed his
musical and social surroundings." Ben Fong-Torres, former senior editor of
Rolling Stone adds, "In her book on Bob Dylan, Kathleen Mackay has trained
her sights on friends. And when they turn out to include the Beatles, the
Band, Bono, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and many others, the results are
more than revelatory. They add many colors to the continually emerging
portrait of one of the greatest artists of all time."
The book will begin hitting bookstore shelves in early June. Attendees
of Book Expo America (New York City, June 1 - 3, 2007) will have a first
look at the book as it debuts at the Music Sales/Omnibus Press booth.
Author Kathleen Mackay will be making an appearance at Book Expo,
participating in author events at bookstores in the Greater Boston Area,
and is available for media interviews.

Kathleen Mackay is a journalist and author who has written widely on
arts and culture. Her articles have appeared in Time, People, Rolling
Stone, The Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, and other publications.
She has co- authored four books, including contributing an essay to The
Anne Rice Reader (Ballantine) about her lifelong friendship with Anne Rice.
A graduate of Harvard, she lives in Concord, Massachusetts with her
husband, David Garcelon. http://www.kathleenmmackay.com

(PR Newswire.com)
[Edited by Gazza]
1st March 2007 08:55 AM
Sir Stonesalot HA!

HA HA!

In another example of my superiorness...

I did not buy the first version of the "Don't Look Back" DVD. I knew that a "deluxe" edition would be out later...so I decided to wait. And now my wait is almost over.
1st March 2007 09:13 AM
PartyDoll MEG Got mine in the mail yesterday. One of the "included" books is one of those little flicker books. Must admit it is very well packaged, but I won't have time to check it out for a few days yet...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)