ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Alamy with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: nsc Aussie Rocker Billy Thorpe dead Return to archive
27th February 2007 05:38 PM
Daethgod http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21300661-5005961,00.html

MEMBERS of the Australian music industry say they are devastated by the sudden death of rock and roll legend Billy Thorpe, who died today from a heart attack.

The 60-year-old died early today in St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney.

He had been rushed from his Darling Point home in Sydney's east just after midnight with chest pains.

"He woke at 1am feeling terrible. Shortly after that he had a massive heart attack, the paramedics were called to the house, they worked very hard in hospital," Thorpe's manager Michael Chugg said on Channel 9.

"In the next 24 hours, the family will make a statement with details of funeral services and everything."

Chugg said he was devastated by Thorpe's death. He said Thorpe had just finished recording a new album and had just finished an acoustic tour.

"His tour manager Norm Sweeney told me that yesterday that everybody around him was blown away by how happy he was and how great the future was looking and for this to happen is just a terrible tragedy."

Thorpe is survived by his wife Lynne, and daughters Rusty and Lauren.

The former manager of Billy Thorpe and The Aztecs, Michael Browning, today paid tribute to his friend as a gifted performer.

Mr Browning, who went on to manage ACDC, said Thorpe created what became known as the pub music scene, and was "king" in Melbourne.

"He was amazing, I remember standing on the side on the stage at the Myer Music Bowl in front of 200,000 people and watching Billy work the crowd," he said on Channel 7.

"I don't think there has ever been anyone in Australia that has been able to work the crowd like Billy Thorpe."

"He was just amazing, an actual genius as a showman."

Music journalist and historian Glenn A Baker said Thorpe was an Australian rock icon who shaped Australia's pub music scene.

"It seems impossible to comprehend," Mr Baker said on ABC radio.

The music journalist was to accompany Thorpe to Morocco, where Thorpe was working on a recording project.

"Thorpe was just always involved in something," he said.

"He had so much music in him and there was just such an extraordinary sort of appetite for what he was doing."

Thorpe was born in England but emigrated to Brisbane with his family in the 1950s and later moved to Sydney in 1963 to jumpstart his music career.

Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs became a major rock outfit, selling out concert venues and producing chart-topping songs in the 60s and 70s.

"Thorpe came up in that crop of 60s teen idols but there was a greater dimension to him," Mr Baker said.

"After he was a teen idol he went to Melbourne for a few years ... he completely re-orientated himself and then turned Australian rock on its ear with a thunderous, pulverising music."

"The Aztecs just become a byword for really the origins of Australian pub rock.

"It's the one form of music we've done better and more convincingly than any other.

"This sort of loud, roaring, howling, ferocious, sort of pub-based bluesy rock and roll and Thorpe was that incredibly powerful voice."

"There was something that was just primal about Thorpe's blood-curdling roar. There was nobody like him on the stage."

Rocker Normie Rowe said Thorpe was the cornerstone of the Australian music industry and inspired him in his own career.

Rowe, who started his career as a teenage rock sensation in the 1960s, said Thorpe emulated the 1950s bands who started the rock and roll movement in Australia.

"And then all of a sudden here comes Thorpe in the mould of some of the English artists in many ways but certainly with his own rubber stamp on it," he said on ABC radio.

He said he was saddened to hear of Thorpe's death, saying if the performer was going to go in any way, "he'd do it loud".

"I guess in just so many ways he was not just a part of the Australian music scene but he was a cornerstone."

Former Midnight Oil frontman Peter Garrett said Thorpe was a great contributor to the music industry and provided inspiration to many bands.

The federal Labor MP said he was shocked to hear of his death.

Mr Garrett said Thorpe would be sorely missed and he felt for both his family and the fans.

"The thing about Thorpie and the Aztecs ... was that they were loud and proud and very Aussie and when they played at Sunbury (music festival) they got up as a bunch of Aussie blokes and just really did it full frontal," he said on Channel 9.

"I think his transition from sort of a pop singer and pop idol really to a full blown, absolutely in your face rocker, was something incredible to see and provided I think a lot of inspiration for many, many bands.

Mr Garrett said Thorpe had the ability to communicate with an audience and was a fine musician and artist.

"I think it's a terrible loss," he said.
27th February 2007 05:56 PM
fireontheplatter the name sort of rings a bell
i cannot picture his face
whats popular songs did he do

rip
27th February 2007 05:56 PM
Daethgod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sSDrDQ0VEU

Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs - Mama live on GTK
27th February 2007 05:57 PM
Daethgod
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
the name sort of rings a bell
i cannot picture his face
whats popular songs did he do

rip

he had huge hits with

'Its Almost Summer'
'Most People I Know Think That Im Crazy'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etrj_rlIlOk&mode=related&search=

his first hit was a cover of the Stones Poison Ivy.

he was famous here in Oz for playing freaking LOUD
[Edited by Daethgod]
27th February 2007 06:06 PM
Daethgod some stuff from winki for those who are not familiar with Thorpey :

There are two distinct phases to the career of Billy Thorpe and of the various line-ups of The Aztecs which supported him. Billy established himself in Australian music-lovers' consciousnesses as a clean cut teen pin-up idol and sustained this image through much of the sixties. Then, in a dramatic about-face, the hair grew longer, the amplifiers increased in volume and power, and, ushered in by the famous Sunbury music festival, Thorpie became Australia's first and most perennial hard rock demi-god, creating a legend which has spanned three decades.

It was the follow-up that set the benchmark. Their cover of Lieber & Stoller's Poison Ivy is rightfully honoured as Australia's first ever 'beat boom' hit, reaching number one on the national charts, and remaining an oft-compiled classic of the era. As happened with so many other Aussie cover versions of songs made known by significant British groups of the time, The Aztecs' version of this Coasters original made a mockery of the record upon which it was based - a half-hearted Rolling Stones EP rendition.

They signed with Albert Productions, an emerging music company led by young publisher/producer Ted Albert. The Aztecs became the frontrunners in a stable that would go on to include such quality acts as The Easybeats, The Missing Links and The Throb. They followed up the huge success of Poison Ivy with a series of strongly-charting releases, among them Mashed Potato; (notable mainly for its gormless, repetitive three-word lyric), and the confidently slinky Searchers cover, Sick & Tired.

By the time The Beatles hit our shores in June, absolute pandemonium had become the order of the day at Aztecs shows around the country. The group actually kept the Fabs themselves from chart poll position while the moptops' tour was in full swing! Indeed, John Lennon summoned "this Billy Thorpe character" for a meeting which took place at the Fabs' hotel, The Sheraton in Kings Cross, the teenage Billy apparently impressing his hosts with his precocity and charm.

Concert footage from the time shows the band barely able to complete a number without wild stage invasions from hysterical fans. And while The Aztecs epitomised the polish and professionalism developing within the biggest acts of the day, with their natty matching suits and menacing-looking Burns Bison guitars - not to mention the whole band's deft mastery of the legendary Stomp dance moves! - they suffered from the same sound reinforcement inadequacies endured by all performers then. The band's amplification just could not compete with the sheer volume of the audiences' screaming abandon. If the Aztecs' musical chops suffered as a result of not being able to be heard, few seemed to mind - the concert performances remained exciting events which drew ever-increasing crowd numbers and national popularity.

70s

"And I know at times, I act a little haa-aayy-zz-eee-ee"...

Who of us, listening to mainstream radio in early 1972, could have escaped the refrains of this singularly captivating paean to high-living hedonism? Most People I Know (Think That I'm Crazy) had as much impact as She's So Fine, The Real Thing, I'll Be Gone and Eagle Rock, to the point where this song has become a definitive icon of Aussie Rock. It was a huge hit for Thorpie and the new Aztecs, indubitably propelled to the top of charts by the band's triumphant appearance at the legendary 1972 Sunbury Music Festival. Thorpe himself sees this as a pivotal moment in the development of Australian music, thanks to the promoters' decision to feature an all-Australian lineup, rather than relying on imported stars..

While by no means the first of Australia's outdoor rock festivals, Sunbury was to assume the mantle of "our own Woodstock". It was held at the end of January, 1972, over the Australia Day long weekend. The venue was a natural amphitheatre site on farmland near Sunbury, a rural town north of Melbourne, Victoria. The Aztecs shared billing with such other prominent acts as Spectrum/Murtceps, The La De Das, Max Merritt & the Meteors, SCRA, Pirana, Greg Quill's Country Radio and many others. But the main event of the festival was undoubtedly Thorpie's triumphant appearance! The exhortation from the stage to "suck more piss!" has passed into folklore, as stoned and drunk punters, enjoying the ambience of a weekend of hard music, topless frolicking, easy drugs and free love, adopted THORPIE! as the king of Oz Rock (whatever that is/was), and elevated him and his powerhouse band to the status of legend - a status Billy has never quite lived down.

Evidence of The Aztecs' incendiary set, and those of the other performers, could be enjoyed on the double-album recording, Sunbury [EMI-HMV SOXLP 7561/2], and also on the film made of the event, Sunbury [Video release: Siren SIRVID 100]. But a double-album collecting the Aztecs' full set, Live at Sunbury [Havoc HST 4003/4], captures our lads alone in their full glory. Complete with a splendid cartoon 3D pop-up cover, depicting the group and friends in a festival tent, smoking hookas and looking out of it (as you do). This release, with full inserts and in mint condition, is much sought after by collectors today. A quick listen to any part of the contents will confirm why...

After the release of Most People (which had become a virtual anthem among young Aussies by this time), the group set about recording a follow-up. Believe It Just Like Me railed against radio's preponderant preference for overseas playlist fodder at the time, and while it was a worthy successor (and in a similar hard rocking style) to the mega-hit, it failed to emulate the success of Most People.

Nevertheless, the plaudits earned by the band after its monumental Sunbury appearance stood it in good stead for its subsequent triumphs. Chatting with Ian 'Molly' Meldrum soon after the event, Billy observed:

"I never had any idea that the band had become this popular, but something like this really gives you an indication. It's been really worth it, coming from the beginning, it seems to have built up; coming from a hundred people to 40,000 - it's unbelievable! The point is, we don't need overseas names, this must be obvious here! The only way to promote Australian music, is to make it purely Australian music, and, I mean, it's good to bring in a group that is a good [overseas] group, but most of these festivals...I don't see why we shouldn't use our bands here".

Another prominent feature that had manifested itself since Thorpe's move to Melbourne, and that by now had become synonymous with the Aztecs, was...pure volume! The band's manager, Michael Browning, coined a term that stuck: 'Aztec Energy'; describing the almost overwhelming power that the band generated from the stage. Billy had this to say about it to Go-Set's Meldrum in March 1972.

"It was loud. Everything was loud. There was so much energy it was frightening in a way. I want to get much louder but the problem is that in this country the equipment can't handle it, and it just distorts so much of the sound. Hendrix was loud but he was loud and clear".

The final word on this remarkable performer should perhaps come from one of his major fans - another OzRock icon - Angry Anderson:

"I've dreamt about that voice. I worship at the temple of that voice".

plenty of info :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Thorpe

27th February 2007 06:10 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sSDrDQ0VEU

Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs - Mama live on GTK

my god
this guy ripped
that was a tune and a half let me tell you what
i may just have to pick up a copy of his greatest hits cd
and no not just because he died...

wow!!!
27th February 2007 06:19 PM
Daethgod yer he freaking rocked
has a couple of great books out too

Sex and thugs and rock 'n' roll: A year in Kings Cross, 1963-1964

"This is the most accurate view of life in sydney during the sixtys. Forget all the others , this one has sex, violence, and stacks of ROCK AND ROLL! I was at the aztecs shows, I saw the fights and had the women. Don't bother with anything else. P.S. there is a HUGH surprise on the last page"

http://www.amazon.com/Sex-thugs-rock-roll-1963-1964/dp/0732908701/sr=1-1/qid=1172618230/ref=sr_1_1/002-2932864-3934469?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Most-People-Know-Think-Crazy/dp/0732909678/sr=1-2/qid=1172618230/ref=sr_1_2/002-2932864-3934469?ie=UTF8&s=books

27th February 2007 06:25 PM
Daethgod
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

my god
this guy ripped
that was a tune and a half let me tell you what
i may just have to pick up a copy of his greatest hits cd
and no not just because he died...

wow!!!

just rocked it again

man at 5.12 in he rips that guitar a new asshole

freaking wild
27th February 2007 06:26 PM
pdog Sucks he had to die for me to know about him....
RIP and thx for the info daeth.
27th February 2007 06:36 PM
fireontheplatter how do they say it in showbiz talk?

he killed

my last comment.....

god rest that rocking mans soul
27th February 2007 06:40 PM
Daethgod Aussie PM just made a statement :

PM saddened by Thorpe's death
February 28, 2007 10:20am

PRIME Minister John Howard said today he was saddened by the death of rock legend Billy Thorpe, a giant of the Australian music industry.

Mr Howard said Thorpe, who died of a heart attack overnight aged 60, started his music career as a Brisbane teen idol but would be best remembered as a towering figure of Australian rock and roll.

"He earned his great success with The Aztecs and shot to national prominence in the 1970s with a string of brash albums and songs and powerful performances at the Sunbury Music Festival," he said.

"Billy Thorpe was an accomplished guitarist with an unmistakable voice.

"Perhaps though, his fans will remember him for one thing above all else, the ear-splitting volume of his concerts."

"On behalf of Janette and myself and the Australian Government, I extend my deepest sympathies to Billy's family, friends and fans," he said.

27th February 2007 07:06 PM
texile i only knew chldren of the sun - summer of 1979.
but it's a part of my adolescence ...
it was one of the first songs i liked when i started listening to a rock station.
28th February 2007 03:57 AM
Homercles I was totally shocked when i saw the news this morning, yet another aussie rock icon gone. What a total bummer. He was a champion musician, who played his Gibson LP bloody loud, he set the scene in Australia for legendary aussie rockers like AC/DC, the Angels, Rose Tattoo. He organised benefit concerts for other ailing aussie rockers - most recently for former Aztecs/Tatts/Coloured Balls muso - Lobby Lloyd who has cancer. Apparently he was also planning a return to Sunbury festival for later this year. I expect that will now serve as a memorial concert to him.

Miss you already Thorpie.
28th February 2007 08:31 AM
Taptrick Children of the Sun has been a staple on many US AOR stations. Several "Jack" formats have inserted it as well.

[Edited by Taptrick]
28th February 2007 08:40 AM
Taptrick
This is cool - Children of the sun mix starts about 1:45 through:

28th February 2007 09:01 AM
GotToRollMe Very sad, indeed. RIP, Billy.
28th February 2007 06:34 PM
glencar Omigosh! His life started going downhill after he dumped Angelina...
1st March 2007 04:49 AM
corgi37 Let me tell you something about this guy. He was a good catholic boy. Yep, he was good to his Mum and he went to Church, and he fucked every moving slut for 40 years. He moved out of home at around 15 and was taken in by Kings Cross prostitutes.

Daeth, i saw him yonks ago at the old Chevron Hotel. Mate, i thought Steppenwolf was loud! This fucker was amazing. My ears were ringing for days.

I hated his mid 70's L.A. space cadet sound. His fluffy hair just didnt match. But, hey, he never dumped the Les Paul!!

My sister knew him from the Sunbury days. He drank and fucked every person in history. Guys would bring their girlfriends up to him just to say "Billy Thorpe fucked by gal!". hahahaha

But, he was also the most painfully nice guy around. He gave to many charities, but mainly, to the old rockers home that some tried to set up. He firmly believed in it. Yanks just could never understand, and are too Puritan to know, but people like Thorpey are uniquely Aussie (though he was born, sadly, a Pom).

I have many great memories of him. Chevron is one. But also, a very short lived music combo with Mick Fleetwood. Saw them at the Corner Hotel. I think their single was "Shaking the cage" or something. Man, oh fucking man, did they ROCK!!!! No L.A. candy assed crap. Just pure, violent, AUssie pub rock blues. Great stuff. I also recall him giving my sis a huge hug circa 1980 (Yep, Chevron), where fuck went to see him (Hey, it was all synths and bad haircuts and wearing dads jackets) but he walked through the crowd and chatted to anyone. My sis said Hi and he cuddled her and said "Kay!, Great to see some old faces here". Not that you are old love, hahaha".

I was 17 (yep, shouldnt have been there), he rubbed my head (like i felt sooooooooooo small, gave me a pick) and said hi. Funny thing was, i think i was like 4 inches taller than him, but felt 400 years younger.

RIP
1st March 2007 09:27 AM
mojoman
quote:
texile wrote:
i only knew chldren of the sun - summer of 1979.
but it's a part of my adolescence ...
it was one of the first songs i liked when i started listening to a rock station.

thats the one i remember too. it got almost as much airplay as boston, van halen and zep........
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)