ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Alamy with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: which faces albums should I get? Return to archive Page: 1 2
26th February 2007 08:04 PM
Lethargy I'm a late-blooming FACES fan. I finally got "Good Boys...When They're Asleep", their greatest hits album, a few years ago, and love it. What should I get next?

They don't have that many albums, so the right answer is probably "get 'em all", but I'm interested in what the fine-musical-tastes of this board would recommend.
26th February 2007 08:19 PM
Riffhard I'd start with A Nod's As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse. After that you may want to get Ooh La La. You may also try a gratest hits package just to get a feel for their different incarnations over the years. In that case go with Snakes And Ladders.

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]
26th February 2007 08:22 PM
mojoman all of 'em. there are only four studios and one long otta print live lp
26th February 2007 08:31 PM
Erik_Snow The 4cdbox
"Five Guys Walk Into A Bar"
is one of the best buys you can do, it's a superb release,
or maybe you don't count this one as a "Faces-release"...?
[Edited by Erik_Snow]
26th February 2007 08:45 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Erik_Snow wrote:
The 4cdbox

This is in my view the only way to go. Five Guys Walk Into A Bar (if you can still find this magnificent box set) gets you close up, front and center, with the full totality of the FACES genius on great display. One or two of the studio albums is not going to do it for you (you're going to wind up wanting more anyway). Mac put it all together. All the choice album tracks, great live versions, outtakes, the Faces playing Rod's songs from his great solo output during these years. Yeah, man, it's all there. It's the only way to go. Five Guys Walk Into a Bar. You got to get it.
26th February 2007 08:54 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Five Guys Walk Into a Bar.. is probably one of the best box sets ever.

Lots of great music on it.

I got mine through amazon.ca last year.
26th February 2007 09:12 PM
Chuck 'Long Player' and 'First Step' are also fantastic.
26th February 2007 09:15 PM
Chuck 'Coast to Coast - Overture and Beginners' is a decent live album with Tetsu on bass.
[Edited by Chuck]
26th February 2007 10:37 PM
gustavobala
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I'd start with A Nod's As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse. After that you may want to get Ooh La La. You may also try a gratest hits package just to get a feel for their different incarnations over the years. In that case go with Snakes And Ladders.

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]

i agree, "a nod..." is fantastic, the second i like "ohh la la"

well, have collections, maybe is a good choice!

try see www.rateyoumusic.com

is a good ite to know about the bands!
26th February 2007 11:07 PM
Lethargy Thanks everyone for the great recommendations.
26th February 2007 11:17 PM
sirmoonie I'm late on the Faces too - so I was lucky enough to get Five Guys Walk Into A Bar.....

Its pricey as hell, but its rock and roll from one disk to another. I'm not an expert on them, and I don't usually buy greatest hits albums by a band of this stature, but this seems comprehensive, all the Faces I'll ever need - and all good, I love it.
26th February 2007 11:19 PM
pdog I got the box set too, it's really cool...
26th February 2007 11:55 PM
BILL PERKS GET THE BOX FROM MAC DIRECTLY AT
http://www.macspages.com/merch.htm
27th February 2007 12:04 AM
pdog
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
GET THE BOX FROM MAC DIRECTLY AT
http://www.macspages.com/merch.htm

i got it for $35 on eBay...
27th February 2007 12:13 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
pdog wrote:

i got it for $35 on eBay...

MAC COULD USE THE CASH
27th February 2007 12:58 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
mojoman wrote:
all of 'em. there are only four studios and one long otta print live lp

How is the live LP?...I bought it for a $2.00 a while back but have yet to play is because it's still in the shrinkwrap and I didn't want to open it...it it worth breaking out of the wrapper?
27th February 2007 03:03 AM
Honky Tonk Man None! Get a Small Faces compilation instead. Steve Marriott pissed over Rod Stewart in the cool stakes. I still don't get why people here like The Faces so much more that the original. It has to be because of the Ronnie connection.
27th February 2007 10:57 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
I'm a late-blooming FACES fan. I finally got "Good Boys...When They're Asleep", their greatest hits album, a few years ago, and love it. What should I get next?

They don't have that many albums, so the right answer is probably "get 'em all", but I'm interested in what the fine-musical-tastes of this board would recommend.

(sung to the tune of "Melody")

Lethargy, Lethargy
It was his second name
Lethargy, Lethargy
It was his second name

I loaned Lethargy "Ooh La La" back in 1983
he said, "I'm going to listen to Moody Blues instead don't you worry I'll
be back"
I'm looking for him high and low like a mustard for a ham
And in 2007 he was crashed out in the bathroom
still listening to King Crimson

Lethargy, Lethargy
It was his second name
Lethargy, Lethargy
It was his second name

Lethargy, Lethargy
This is a box set you must own
Lethargy, Lethargy
This is a box set you MUSTown....

27th February 2007 11:48 AM
mojoman
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

How is the live LP?...I bought it for a $2.00 a while back but have yet to play is because it's still in the shrinkwrap and I didn't want to open it...it it worth breaking out of the wrapper?

don't open it!!! its a nice recording of a sloppy band haven't listened to it in a long time my copy's vinyl and both my turntables need repair. if you have the cd its worth alot. hope someday they release an expanded version but it probably will never happen. sigh
27th February 2007 01:52 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
None! Get a Small Faces compilation instead. Steve Marriott pissed over Rod Stewart in the cool stakes. I still don't get why people here like The Faces so much more that the original. It has to be because of the Ronnie connection.

THATS BLASPHEMY!!
27th February 2007 01:53 PM
Chuck [quote]Honky Tonk Man wrote:
None! Get a Small Faces compilation instead. Steve Marriott pissed over Rod Stewart in the cool stakes. I still don't get why people here like The Faces so much more that the original. It has to be because of the Ronnie connection.
[/quote

?????

I like both bands, but I prefer the Small Faces.

27th February 2007 05:26 PM
Soldatti Go with the box set.
28th February 2007 12:33 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

THATS BLASPHEMY!!

Bollocks is it!

I guarantee you that more over here prefer the Small Faces. I don't know about the States, but I'd guess The Faces were quite a bit bigger due to the earlier incarnations Englishness. I don't dislike The Faces at all. I just think too many here are not prepared to try new things!
28th February 2007 12:39 PM
jb None....they were never that good, and with a lead singer like Rod, their short lived success was inevitable.
28th February 2007 01:16 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Yup. Ronnie Lane.
28th February 2007 03:35 PM
pdog Ladies and Gents... We bring you... JOEY!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
28th February 2007 06:29 PM
glencar
quote:
Erik_Snow wrote:
The 4cdbox
or maybe you don't count this one as a "Faces-release"...?
[Edited by Erik_Snow]

Yes, the boxed set is the way to go.
1st March 2007 01:32 AM
riccardo There is a new 2cd set called Definitive Rock, a collection or best of that has all tracks remastered.The songs from the first and second album are incredibly strong the way they have remastered them!
1st March 2007 04:31 AM
Monkeytonkman JB:- I appears that you misunderstand his request. Lethargy has already stated that he owns one album by the Faces and Loves it, therefore his request is for advice that perhaps may come from people that share a like for the band.

Your response does not seem to meet the requirements, I therefore don't see the point of your post.

1st March 2007 04:35 AM
corgi37 "Nods as good as a wink:" is perfect. Got that great "Who's Next sound to it. And, what a great fun album. Cant go wrong.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)