ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Alamy with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I Danced With Patti Smith Tonight (vlsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
23rd February 2007 01:17 AM
lotsajizz First Set
Frederick (dedicated to her late husband)
Redondo Beach
Peaceable Kingdom
Pissing In A River--awesome ending
Dancing Barefoot--epic

Second Set
The Shaved Head/”W”/Britney peom-rap
In My Blakeian Youth
a song she intro’d as by George Harrison but I did not recognize it
Beneath The Southern Cross (dedicated to ‘an old boyfriend’)
(new) acoustic mostly---a pro-get the fuck out of where we don’t belong song
Pushin’ Too Hard--just the band, Patti taking a break
Because The Night
Kimberly
Soul Kitchen
Gimme Shelter--powerful, easiest the best by anyone since at least 1997
an encore I did not recognize

I am missing at least 3-5 songs in the above lists

she went into a rap about ‘Aqua Teen Hunger Force’...some cartoon, and how its creator was the only creative person ever to come out of her hometown but her
setbreak--made up for the nap before the show by sipping two glasses of Jamesons, phoned people and shared/boasted of my good fortune!

she is FUNNY....she COULD do stand-up

[Edited by lotsajizz]
23rd February 2007 02:55 AM
FotiniD Wow lotsajizz, a dance with Patti Smith! Good for you!
Haven't seen her live ever and I can't wait till I do!
23rd February 2007 04:49 AM
UGot2Rollme that woman's got SOUL. Starting off with Frederick, one of my favorites. I saw her in 77&78 in Philly and will never forget Rock and Roll Nigger. She invited the dj's from WMMR backstage to f-her after the show.
23rd February 2007 08:32 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Wow lotsajizz, a dance with Patti Smith! Good for you!
Haven't seen her live ever and I can't wait till I do!

she's headed over for a European tour next...I highly reccomend you see her....

23rd February 2007 08:35 AM
mojoman sweet. rock on man
23rd February 2007 09:17 AM
GotToRollMe So, I guess ya had a good time, huh?

23rd February 2007 10:47 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl One word:

B

A

S

T

A

R

D

!

In addition you danced "dancing barefoot" (dedicated to the rituals of heroin) one of my favs

once more

B

A

S

T

A

R

D

!

23rd February 2007 10:51 AM
lotsajizz just lucky I guess!

23rd February 2007 10:56 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
just lucky I guess!

You're right, then...

once more

L

U

C

K

Y

B

A

S

T

A

R

D

!

23rd February 2007 11:16 AM
jb Unfortunately, she has never made it past a small cult status.....
[Edited by jb]
23rd February 2007 11:20 AM
LadyJane Congrats Jizzy.
Awesome.
I'm a big fan!!

LJ.
23rd February 2007 11:31 AM
lotsajizz if you're a big fan than you will be pleased with her state these days....she seems happy, healthy, creative....jeez I hope I'm that way at 60!

...and her Gimmie Shelter--which must be the Stones cut on '12' her new album--just burns!!
23rd February 2007 11:33 AM
LadyJane
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
if you're a big fan than you will be pleased with her state these days....she seems happy, healthy, creative....jeez I hope I'm that way at 60!

...and her Gimmie Shelter--which must be the Stones cut on '12' her new album--just burns!!

Nice!!!

I'm happy for ya!

LJ.
23rd February 2007 11:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

she's headed over for a European tour next...I highly reccomend you see her....

Saw her twice here in the last four years. Once was an acoustic show, once with the band. Both excellent. She did a Q&A after the acoustic show and I got to ask her a few. Signed my copy of 'Land' as well. She's always well worth checking out
23rd February 2007 11:46 AM
lotsajizz she did the acoustic bit in Boston on Wednesday, appearing at the Institute of Contemporary Arts and doing the Q and A...I got the following review from a Boston alternate paper......

Music, comedy, poetry, and audience participation filled the room. At first blush, it looked like an episode of Prairie Home Companion, but it was really musician/poetess Patti Smith performing at the Institute of Contemporary Art on Wednesday night.

Patti Smith is famous for channeling the fierce, demanding forces of creation. In her interviews and in articles about her, she comes off more like a medium who needs the perfect conditions in order to let the spirits run wild.

But, in person, Smith is more like a cute, crunchy-granola mom you'd find shopping at the Harvest Co-op. She has complete control of the muses that inspire her, and she can turn them on and off as if she were working a light switch.

Smith started off the evening with jokes about the Aqua Teen Hunger Force incident and an accident involving dog pee in a passenger seat. (Her website indicates that she is very much pro-ATHF.) After the comedy, Smith changed, launching into "The Lovecrafter."

And then she changed again and again, constantly and always on a dime, one moment storming through a song on her acoustic guitar and then taking audience questions.

Some of the audience questions were real howlers. Patti Smith is one patient and classy lady because some people were downright invasive, essentially asking, "Hey, you still talk to that dude you used to bang from the Blue Oyster Cult?" or "Hey, are you shagging Sam Shepherd again?"

Smith always responded with a patient, but heavy, sigh and then answered the question to the audience's satisfaction. (No, she doesn't talk to the dude from the Blue Oyster Cult these days, and, no, she's not banging Sam Shepherd again - he's performing on her upcoming covers record.)

Smith's performance was a surprise. She always came off as dark and intense, but she immediately built a complex relationship with the audience. She seemed to give everything to them, but, at the same time, it was always clear who was in control of the stage.

23rd February 2007 01:10 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Some of the audience questions were real howlers. Patti Smith is one patient and classy lady because some people were downright invasive, essentially asking, "Hey, you still talk to that dude you used to bang from the Blue Oyster Cult?" or "Hey, are you shagging Sam Shepherd again?"

How rude! WTF is wrong with people?????

yelling anything out at a show is rude and retarded. No one paid to hear an idiot yell out stupid questions or song requests.

People: please learn to shut the fuck up at concerts already
23rd February 2007 03:06 PM
texile
i love her rebellious spirit because its tied to social activism, not just punk posing.
23rd February 2007 03:37 PM
GotToRollMe I'm real pleased for ya, Jizz, sounds like you got a helluva show. She's a pistol, alright!
23rd February 2007 03:40 PM
glencar She can still move...
23rd February 2007 05:08 PM
SheRat
quote:
SheRat wrote:
Just thought I'd share this, jizz.

This is my best friend's daughter, in Chicago:

OMG...while I was looking for it, I found this:

I'm crying...
23rd February 2007 05:14 PM
SheRat okay here is is: that little girl onstage is my best friend's kid, Sophie:

23rd February 2007 05:49 PM
pdog Those kids ask beter questions than paid hack writes..
thx She Rat...
AWESOME!!!
23rd February 2007 08:20 PM
lotsajizz way cool
23rd February 2007 08:31 PM
LadyJane
quote:
SheRat wrote:

I'm crying...

Great clip.
Tears here too.

LJ.
23rd February 2007 10:07 PM
Brainbell Jangler Wow. Patti is simply the best.
25th February 2007 06:33 AM
lotsajizz Smith A Rockin' Poet

By ERIC R. DANTON
Courant Rock Critic

February 25 2007

Waiting to hear what Patti Smith had to say between songs was almost as entertaining as her musical performance Friday night at Toad's Place in New Haven.

She started off simply, asking, "What day is this?" Later, ever the activist, Smith referred to Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman as "the evil, puppet-faced guy," declared her love of the cartoon TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" and discussed the realities of life in southern New Jersey, where town names aren't important.

"If you're foolish enough to be from South Jersey, you don't get a town or a county seat or nothing," said Smith, who ought to know: She grew up there.

It was New York, though, and the Lower East Side punk scene in the 1970s, that launched Smith's career as a poet and rock 'n' roll singer. She's a key figure in what became alternative rock, so much so that her influential songs have earned her enshrinement next month in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Not that it mattered much to her in New Haven - the subject didn't come up during a two-hour show bisected by a 30-minute break.

Smith drifted back and forth through her catalog, mixing old favorites with newer material and throwing in a few other artists' tunes slated to appear on her forthcoming covers record, "12."

The crowd cheered the opening piano chords of "Frederick," and Smith sang with her eyes closed, dancing slowly in place in time with the music. Her sinewy voice was strong and bold, whether reminiscing on the smoky torch song "We Three" about her days at the iconic, and defunct, New York punk club CBGB, or barreling through a cover of the Doors' "Soul Kitchen."

Her band fleshed out her poetic ruminations with sturdy, flexible bar-rock accompaniment, and guitarist Lenny Kaye played tasteful solos on "1959" and sang lead vocals on a cover of the Seeds' "Pushin' Too Hard." (Other band members took turns on vocals, too, on covers including the Medallions' `Double Shot (of My Baby's Love).')

Smith ended her first set with "Dancing Barefoot," and then returned with a vibrant rendition of the driving rocker "People Have the Power." She also found room for "Because the Night," although she didn't get around to playing "Gloria" (to the sure disappointment of the woman toward the front who shouted for it after every song).

After ending the second set with a brawny cover of "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones, Smith and her band returned to play "Pissing in a River," a searing song about broken romance.
25th February 2007 08:50 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:

SheRat wrote:
Just thought I'd share this, jizz.

This is my best friend's daughter, in Chicago:

OMG...while I was looking for it, I found this:

I saw her do this song as an encore in Central Park in 1978. Nice find!

26th February 2007 12:35 AM
monkey_man I've got a great boot of her from Aug of '01 at the Fillmore if anyone is interested. PM me and I'll snail mail you a copy.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
[Edited by monkey_man]
27th February 2007 11:26 AM
Saint Sway Patti performing with Luther Dickinson & Rich Robinson (aka "Mick Taylor")

Circle Sound: Luther Dickinson & Rich Robinson Heat Up Manhattan
By: David Schultz

When The Black Crowes famously reunited for a week's worth of shows at New York City's Hammerstein Ballroom, they selected a fine slate of artists to accompany them, including the North Mississippi AllStars. In addition to joining The Crowes for an encore of Elmore James' "Shake Your Money Maker" during that March 2005 run, the AllStars' lead guitarist Luther Dickinson (and his bandmates) rang in 2006 with the Robinson brothers at their New Year's concert at Madison Square Garden. As both bands are steeped in the southern tradition of the blues, it can't come as any surprise that they hit it off both on and off stage. No strangers to the joys and miseries of playing in a band with their brother, the Crowes' Rich Robinson and the AllStars' Luther Dickinson left their respective siblings at home to team up for an evening as Circle Sound.

While Circle Sound publicized their Friday night show at the Bowery Ballroom as featuring Robinson and Dickinson, it came with a heavy Black Crowes vibe. Current Crowes band members, keyboardist Rob Clores and bassist Sven Pipien, who is cultivating the Chris Robinson homeless hippie look, as well as former Crowes drummer Bill Dobrow rounded out the band. Aswirl with promises and rumors of special guests, expectations over surprise appearances ran amok and the presence of 2007 Hall Of Fame inductee and resident New Yorker Patti Smith sated all but the most unreasonable appetites for something exceptional.

Any hopes that Circle Sound would feature multiple guitar battles between The Crowe and The AllStar were quickly dashed. Robinson made no effort to match Dickinson's exemplary skills, providing rhythm guitars and complementary riffs instead of an old-fashioned duel. With his thick glasses and unkempt locks, Dickinson looks more like a librarian than a skilled bluesman. Bringing his customary phalanx of guitars, Dickinson switched axes every couple of numbers, notably breaking out a mandolin for a triptych of songs including Ry Cooder's "Boomer's Story," a song often covered by Chris Robinson when he sits in with Dickinson and the AllStars. Brother Rich seemed content to let Dickinson handle the leads, only once breaking out the slide guitar for a countryish version of Bob Dylan's "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight." For the encore, the two guitarists attempted some guitar theatrics on "Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz," an acoustic, Led-Zep style outtake from Amorica. Dickinson seemed to throw off Robinson at the start of the song by switching guitars and the two seemed to play at odds with each other until the end when they finally meshed.

With the exception of a take on the AllStars' "Bang Bang Lulu" and the acoustic beginning to the encore, Circle Sound pretty much avoided NMA or Black Crowes fare, using their Bowery gig as an opportunity to have some fun. Becoming the night's most skilled cover band, Dickinson and Robinson breathed life into some wisely chosen classic rock covers, some old-school blues and a few Robinson originals. The band's best moments were on gritty blues tunes like "Spoonful," "Mean Old World" and a pair of Johnny Winter tunes. They dove heartily into the slinky off-kilter beat of The Rolling Stones' "I Just Wanna See His Face" and they expertly Crazy Horsed their opener, "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere."

Robinson and Dickinson shared lead vocals throughout the set: Robinson fronting during tunes from his 2004 album Paper; Dickinson handling the swampier blues and classic rock covers. However, Patti Smith's voice resonated the most. Near the end of the set, the politically outspoken singer mesmerized the crowd with a rendition of "Smoke Signals." While Smith may be physically showing her age, her voice and stage presence remain as captivating as ever.

Opening act Langhorne Slim also provided some nice variety. Playing a revved up acoustic guitar like Ray Lamontagne on steroids, the gullible in the crowd could have been convinced that Slim was a disguised Jack White.

Circle Sound's Bowery Ballroom show was one for the band, who seemed to truly enjoy the freedom of taking a night off from their usual catalog to play a set of their favorite tunes. Far from an indulgent night, Dickinson, Robinson, the rest of Circle Sound, Smith and Slim exceeded all expectations, producing a fast-paced night of quality blues and rock and roll.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
27th February 2007 05:55 PM
lotsajizz Patti Smith soaks up the love at Stone Pony show
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 02/27/07
BY STEPHEN BOVE
STAFF WRITER

Uber-coy in a black skull cap and shoddy sport jacket, rock 'n' roll poet laureate Patti Smith was in raw proto-punk glory Saturday evening in Asbury Park, welcoming the sold-out Stone Pony crowd to a special concert commemorating the Jersey-bred musician's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 12.

Hitting the stage at 9:45 p.m., Smith and her band delivered a show that included classic favorites, newer tracks and surprising covers spanning more than two sets and two hours.

"Patti is always brilliant. I've probably seen her about six or seven times," said Tracy Dillon of Basking Ridge. "She's got this onstage magnetism that just can't be described."

Smith's first set infused guttural spoken word with such classic anthems as "Qana," "Space Monkey" and "Dancing Barefoot," as well a pulsing rendition of The Beatles' "Within You, Without You," which Smith dedicated to the late George Harrison in honor of the Beatles lead guitarist's birthday.

Smith's second set featured such favorites as "Because the Night" and "Free Money," plus a cover of John Lennon's "Cold Turkey."

"She's brought me to tears twice already," Dillon said halfway through the show.

Smith didn't hesitate to slink off to the background every now and then, letting her band, which included bassist Tony Shanahan and guitarist Lenny Kaye, take front-and-center for a song or two.

"N.J. stands for no jive," Kaye said.

Fighting back tears as she signed autographs to audience cries of "Welcome to the Hall of Fame, Patti," Smith finished off her second set with a cover of The Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter," followed by a heart-wrenching rendition of R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts" and one of her originals as the finale, which she dedicated to her mother, who died in 2002.

and......

Michael Stipe, Patti Smith, Lou Reed and Ray Davies were among the featured performers at the 17th annual Tibet House Benefit at Carnegie Hall Monday night (Feb. 26) in New York. Debbie Harry, Ben Harper, Laurie Anderson and Icelandic band Sigur Ros were also on the bill.

Last night`s benefit coincided with the Tibetan New Year and featured tributes to Tibetan culture and numerous collaborations between artists. Anderson and Sigur Ros started off the evening, with Anderson playing a stripped-down version of "Transitory Life" and Sigur Ros performing acoustic renditions of "Agaetis Byrjun" and "Heysatan."

Reed played "Who Am I?" and a bluesy "Ecstasy," both backed by a string quartet. Davies and Harry paired up for the classic Kinks song "Lola", complete with an audience singalong. Davies also broke out "Sunny Afternoon" and "Dedicated Follower of Fashion."

Harper was joined by Phillip Glass on piano and a string quartet for "Amen, Omen." Following Harper was Stipe, who sang the R.E.M. oddities "New Test Leper," and "Chorus and the Ring," which Stipe said developed after conversations he had with the late beat poet William S. Burroughs. The latter song has never been performed by R.E.M., according to Stipe.

The artist was then joined by his idol Smith for a version of "Everybody Hurts," that included a full band and string arrangements. Smith and her band rounded out the evening with George Harrison`s "Within You Without You" and "1959." The evening culminated with everyone joining Smith for a traditional show-closing version of "People Have the Power."

more......

As Ray Davies and Debbie Harry took the stage at last night’s Tibet House benefit concert to lead the audience in an acoustic sing-along of “Lola,” members of the rapt crowd exchanged incredulous glances, doubting that the evening could could get any fucking cooler.

And then it did.

Michael Stipe and Patti Smith — just two of the heavyweights on hand to celebrate Tibetan culture at Carnegie Hall’s seventeenth annual shindig — launched into a rendition of “Everybody Hurts” that made everyone watching a little verklempt. But before anyone had time to wipe their eyes, Stipe unveiled “Chorus and the Ring,” a never-been-played tune inspired by a chat he had with William Burroughs about Kurt Cobain. Don’t you love it when pop culture comes full circle?

And so it went for two-and-a-half hours. One icon set the stage for the next — Harry introduced Davies as one of her “all-time idols” — and artists played stripped-down mini-sets that treated thirsty ears to killer one-off performances.

Highlights included Lou Reed’s curmudgeonly grumble on the pissed-off “Ecstasy,” Ben Harper — backed by a string quartet — belting out a mournful “Amen Omen” and Debbie Harry jamming on an unplugged “Heart of Glass.” Also awesome: Patti Smith paying homage to George Harrison (who would have turned sixty-four on February 25th) with a slow-burning “Within You, Without You.”

And then the motley crew of musicians stormed the stage for the finale, urging everyone out of their seats with Smith’s “People Have the Power.” No one dared to keep still.

[Edited by lotsajizz]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)