ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Alamy with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: terence trent darby Return to archive
22nd February 2007 07:27 PM
texile funny thing happened last night...well, not funny for anyone else maybe - but funny for me.

for the last week, i had been wondering what happened to terence trent darby...so i went and bought his greatest hits and i'd forgotten how many great songs he actually had.
last night, i come home from work and my cousin is watching knights of prosperity - (first time for me)
i walk in right when the hispanic girl says in that thick accent,
'what the hell ever happened to terence trent darby?
he had that big hit with wishing well and -poof - dissapeared..'
that's been what i've saying for a week almost word for word...
i liked this guy, he was original and one thing that really caught my attention back then was his love for the stones.
he used to joke that his album was better than exile ..
and wishing well referenced midnight rambler and he had a hit named dance little sister.
any opinions?

22nd February 2007 07:36 PM
Fiji Joe I don't recall any reference to Midnight Rambler in Wishing Well...just a bunch of crap about butterfly tears

22nd February 2007 07:42 PM
sirmoonie He made as much sense to me as Boy George. Is it the black angle? Is that why everyone thought this no-hit wonder was the next popping Alonzo?
22nd February 2007 07:45 PM
stonedinaustralia oh agreed texile

funny i had a similiar kind of thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago - for reasons i won't go into (but are actually quite significant to me) i had "sign your name" running through my head for days and then unexpectedly it blasted out of the sound system in a retail store at a moment perfectly apropos to said significance...spooky hey?

anyway , i agree his first album in particular was full of excellent songs beautifully executed - although listening back to it the one thing that let's it down is that horrible chintzy '80s keyboard noodling - that bit has not aged well - still,now 20 years on, it has a certain "period charm"

did you ever see that video footage of him doing "under my thumb" live?? - amazing

he was interesting too in that, like Hendix, he had to go to Europe to be properly appreciated as at the time he didn't fit the preconcieved notions of what a black artist should be doing in the mid to late '80s

for me he was the heir to the line that includes Otis, Marvin, Smokey and Dave Ruffin and its a pity more wasn't made of his talent

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
22nd February 2007 07:51 PM
texile
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
oh agreed texile

funny i had a similiar kind of thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago - for reasons i won't go into (but are actually quite significant to me) i had "sign your name" running through my head for days and then unexpectedly it blasted out of the sound system in a retail store at a moment perfectly apropos to said significance...spooky hey?

anyway , i agree his first album in particular was full of excellent songs beautifully executed - although listening back to it the one thing that let's it down is that horrible chintzy '80s keyboard noodling - that bit has not aged well - still,now 20 years on, it has a certain "period charm"

did you ever see that video footage of him doing "under my thumb" live?? - amazing

he was interesting too in that, like Hendix, he had to go to Europe to be properly appreciated as at the time he didn't fit the preconcieved notions of what a black artist should be doing in the mid to late '80s

for me he was the heir to the line that includes Otis, Marvin, Smokey and Dave Ruffin and its a pity more wasn't made of his talent

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

yeah, he was not a one-hit wonder!
you're right though, the one thing that hit me listening to these songs was the slick 80s production - EVERYBODY suffered from it and it HAS aged badly.
but darby was good, better i think than people remember.
dance little sister is a great james brown-ish type of thing and wishing well was one of the sexiest songs of the 80s.
the lyrics is:
'i wanna be your midnight rambler..'
he had some good stuff and just went away somewhere.
22nd February 2007 07:53 PM
texile and yeah stoned,
i haven't seen the video but the greatest hits has the under my thumb version which i must say -
is funkier and more kick-ass than the stones live versions.
22nd February 2007 07:55 PM
Fiji Joe Dude went AWOL...If I see him, I'll snatch him bald
22nd February 2007 09:40 PM
BILL PERKS i quite liked that first record
22nd February 2007 10:00 PM
sirmoonie SIA turned me on to Tupac, now I got to go dig up this Wishing Well guy? Don't think so. This is like Prince junior without the hits and riffs. If ONLY he was as great as he thinks he is, we could get a Philly sound for once.
22nd February 2007 10:03 PM
pdog Wasn't he killed in some weird laundry room accident?
22nd February 2007 11:29 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
SIA turned me on to Tupac,

i did that, did I?

that's so cool...that has made my day man!!

i got turned on to him by two step-sons back in the day (the mid '90s day that is)...funny how kids can pass stuff up as much as we can hand it down

23rd February 2007 10:40 AM
rasputin56 I'm fairly certain he wasn't joking about thinking his album was better than Exile.
23rd February 2007 10:46 AM
egon i think he still records.

He was a bit of a cock in the 80s...
23rd February 2007 11:22 AM
jb another loser who never amounted to squat..... at least better than Prince.
23rd February 2007 12:43 PM
Saint Sway didnt he perform at some benefit show at Wembly in the 80s with the Stones (minus Mick)

I recall Wyman saying D'Arby was a better singer than Jagger
23rd February 2007 12:53 PM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
texile wrote:
funny thing happened last night...well, not funny for anyone else maybe - but funny for me.

for the last week, i had been wondering what happened to terence trent darby...so i went and bought his greatest hits and i'd forgotten how many great songs he actually had.
last night, i come home from work and my cousin is watching knights of prosperity - (first time for me)
i walk in right when the hispanic girl says in that thick accent,
'what the hell ever happened to terence trent darby?
he had that big hit with wishing well and -poof - dissapeared..'
that's been what i've saying for a week almost word for word...
i liked this guy, he was original and one thing that really caught my attention back then was his love for the stones.
he used to joke that his album was better than exile ..
and wishing well referenced midnight rambler and he had a hit named dance little sister.
any opinions?

I too have wondered what happened to him.

I like a song he did called "If you let me stay"

Last I heard, he was married with kids in France
23rd February 2007 02:19 PM
texile
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:
I'm fairly certain he wasn't joking about thinking his album was better than Exile.

he might have been semi-serious,
because he was a cocky guy...
but he was a unique songwriter who fell under the radar...
pop, soul, funk and a love for rock and roll.
he should be rediscovered.
23rd February 2007 02:23 PM
jb They tried to build him up on MTV..he had a hit single and then faded-fast!!! Anyone that says their album is better than "Exile" the holy grail of rock, is either being sarcastic or is ignorant beyond belief. We are lucky that the Stones have always been there..they may not sell the most albums, or be the most popular(see Beatles), but never in my life has there been a time without them(the 80's were tough, though). Most of those 80's stars were flash in the pan..here today, gone tommorrow. The only real exception being the hated U2 who became the 'Beatles" to the college kid of the 80's. Where is Corgi?
[Edited by jb]
23rd February 2007 02:28 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

i did that, did I?

that's so cool...that has made my day man!!

i got turned on to him by two step-sons back in the day (the mid '90s day that is)...funny how kids can pass stuff up as much as we can hand it down

Yeah, some thread on rap, and I mentioned I didn't like Tupac - you gave some recommendations, and he's grown on me quite a bit. Trent Darby will not be doing that!
24th February 2007 03:24 AM
stonedinaustralia hey moonie - respect!!

and Sway he did do something as you suggested - not sure if it was stones less mick tho pretty sure wyman and woody were involved - Gazza?? anybody??
26th February 2007 06:50 AM
IanBillen
Didn't he and Samantha Fox go away and marry....

They lived happily ever after is the story I come to have known.

Log-Cabin home in the Alps, A dog named Nova... even now three kids...

Sadly,

All of which were born midgets.

Ian
26th February 2007 11:07 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
hey moonie - respect!!

and Sway he did do something as you suggested - not sure if it was stones less mick tho pretty sure wyman and woody were involved - Gazza?? anybody??

Yeah I think it was Wyman, Woody and with either Kenny Jones or Watts with D'Arby and I think they did Honkeytonk Woman, Brown Sugar and 2 other Stones songs

Gazza, undoubtedly, will provide all the exact info.
26th February 2007 11:42 AM
GotToRollMe Wow. Uriah Heep and now Terence Trent D'Arby?
Do we need a tour or what?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)