ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Alamy with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnny Cash Return to archive
16th February 2007 01:17 PM
Voodoo Scrounge Had never really given him the time of day.

But today I saw the light and the man in black emerged from that light.

The man is a legend and he was in my opinion, the first Punk!
16th February 2007 04:43 PM
fireontheplatter i am not so sure about him being the first punk..
i like johnny cash. he wrote some great songs. the movie is fun to watch...walk the line

get down jimmy
16th February 2007 06:10 PM
CraigP I listen to him here and there.
16th February 2007 06:12 PM
pdog His personality and influence are so big, you can't even put it into a 1,000 word post...
He's the man in black!
16th February 2007 06:53 PM
glencar Elvis was the first punk. Johnny Cash was cool though.
16th February 2007 06:54 PM
pdog Elvis was the first Wigger...
16th February 2007 08:13 PM
72Tele I think Jerry Lee Lewis was the first punk.

Speaking of Johnny Cash I recall a story that I think took place at a early rock and roll hall of fame dinner. Keith goes in to take a piss and ends up pissing next to Johnny. Keith yelled "get a camera I'm taking a piss next to Johnny Cash". Then I guess Johnny said something to the effect of "no way Keith".
16th February 2007 08:17 PM
Brainbell Jangler You hear the word "giant" used to describe a lot of notable persons. Few live up to the term. Johnny Cash dwarfs it.
16th February 2007 11:06 PM
BILL PERKS I NEVER GAVE A FIDDLERS FART UNTIL AMERICAN SONGS IV THE MAN COMES AROUND CAME OUT..I'VE BEEN HOOKED ON HIM SINCE,THE RUBIN RECORDS IN PARTICULAR.
16th February 2007 11:16 PM
Kilroy All the dudes from Sun were the fist Punks, ain't it great.
16th February 2007 11:21 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves I thought Sinatra was the first punk???
16th February 2007 11:24 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
pdog wrote:
His personality and influence are so big, you can't even put it into a 1,000 word post...
He's the man in black!

Yes!

and

quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
You hear the word "giant" used to describe a lot of notable persons. Few live up to the term. Johnny Cash dwarfs it.

Yes!
16th February 2007 11:41 PM
oldkr johnny cash just 'is' he's like dylan in that respect any attempt to quantify him is futile, his effect will be felt for decades. The stones were in this catergory pre 89 and would have stayed there if not for the reformation.

OLDKR
17th February 2007 07:09 AM
glencar Oh bullshit. The Stones are up in the pantheon no matter what they do. That's why they do what they do. Any group that comes along these days that has any heat automatically draws comaprisons to the Stones.
17th February 2007 07:52 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Stars line up for June Carter Tribute
By Jonathan Cohen Feb 16, 2007,
monstersand critics.com

Elvis Costello, Sheryl Crow, Willie Nelson, Loretta Lynn, Emmylou Harris and Brad Paisley are among the stars appearing on the June Carter Cash tribute album 'Anchored in Love,' due June 19 via Dualtone. The release will coincide with a biography of the same name penned by Cash`s son John.

With the exception of Ralph Stanley, who recorded "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" at the southwest Virginia home of the Carter Family, 'Anchored in Love' was recorded throughout 2006 on the Cash family property in Hendersonville, Tenn.

On it, Costello tackles the iconic "Ring of Fire," while Nelson and Crow team up for a duet on "If I Were a Carpenter." Carter Cash`s stepdaughter Rosanne performs the spiritual "Wings of Angels" and Lynn offers a version of "Wildwood Flower."

Carter Cash died May 15, 2003, after complications from heart surgery.

Here is the unsequenced song list for 'Anchored in Love':

'If I Were a Carpenter,' Sheryl Crow and Willie Nelson

'Jackson,' Carlene Carter and Ronnie Dunn

'Wildwood Flower,' Loretta Lynn

'Far Side Banks of Jordan,' Patty Loveless and Kris Kristofferson

'Keep On the Sunny Side,' Brad Paisley

'Wings of Angels,' Rosanne Cash

'Ring of Fire,' Elvis Costello

'Road to Kaintuck,' Billy Bob Thornton and the Peasall Sisters

'Big Yellow Peaches,' Grey De Lisle

'Kneeling Drunkard Plea,' Billy Joe Shaver

'Will the Circle Be Unbroken,' Ralph Stanley

'Song to John,' Emmylou Harris

25th February 2007 09:49 AM
Honky Tonk Man I don't entirely agree, but I do see when oldkr is coming from in regard to the Stones diminishing credibility. They sell out concerts, 40 Licks sold bucket loads, but they really, they exist only to tour and earn mega bucks and I think critics have lost respect for them because of it.

Back to the man in black. Yeah, he's cool and well done Voodoo Scrounge for giving him a go. It took me long enough too!
25th February 2007 11:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Oh bullshit. The Stones are up in the pantheon no matter what they do.

Up there?
Always was, always will be.
27th February 2007 12:52 AM
Bloozehound It's weird, but it seems like Cash's legacy has become more powerful in death then compared to when he was alive

He's kinda like Obi Wan Kenobi
[Edited by Bloozehound]
27th February 2007 01:30 AM
Brainbell Jangler [quote]Bloozehound wrote:
It's weird, but it seems like Cash's legacy has become more powerful in death then compared to when he was alive

[Edited by Bloozehound]
[quote]
Response needs a black background [see below]:
[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]
27th February 2007 01:50 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
It's weird, but it seems like Cash's legacy has become more powerful in death then compared to when he was alive

[Edited by Bloozehound]

27th February 2007 03:15 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Cocaine Blues has to be one of the best songs ever written!
27th February 2007 08:59 AM
Lil Brian Yesterday would have been Cash's 75th birthday. They played his music all day on the radio here in corn country.
27th February 2007 10:31 PM
keefkid r.i.p JC

i think alot of the buzz about Cash lately has alot to do with the movie that came out last year, I thought Phoenix did a spectacular job and the movie as a whole was great, learned alot about JC i never knew...

i just bought the live at Folsom CD, its pretty damm good
28th February 2007 01:23 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
oldkr wrote:
johnny cash just 'is' he's like dylan in that respect any attempt to quantify him is futile, his effect will be felt for decades. The stones were in this catergory pre 89 and would have stayed there if not for the reformation.

OLDKR

Not so sure about that. If you take that view, the damage was done long before '89. Splitting the difference, I'd argue there was indeed damage done to the legacy, and that the '90s helped reverse some of it.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)