ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Boston Garden - July 19, 1972
© Unknown hero with thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
Check his new batch!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Marijuana Ingredient May Help Alzheimer's (NSC) Return to archive
March 1st, 2005 11:33 AM
CS Marijuana Ingredient May Help Alzheimer's
Chemical Counters Brain Problems in Alzheimer's Disease, Says Spanish Study

By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Medical News
Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD

Feb. 28, 2005 -- New clues about Alzheimer's disease have emerged from a Spanish study of marijuana. The drug's active ingredients -- cannabinoids -- help prevent brain problems seen in Alzheimer's, say the scientists.

There is no cure for Alzheimer's disease, which progressively damages brain areas involved in memory, judgment, language, and behavior. Alzheimer's disease is the most common form of mental decline, or dementia, in older adults.

The new study didn't test cannabinoids on people living with Alzheimer's disease. Instead, the researchers focused on human brain tissue samples and conducted cannabinoid experiments on rats.

The findings showed that "cannabinoids work both to prevent inflammation and to protect the brain," says researcher Maria de Ceballos in a news release. That "may set the stage for [cannabinoids'] use as a therapeutic approach for [Alzheimer's disease]."

A staff member at Madrid's Cajal Institute, de Ceballos conducted the study with colleagues from nearby Complutense University. Their results appear in the Feb. 23 edition of The Journal of Neuroscience.

Marijuana, Alzheimer's Disease, and the Human Brain

The researchers studied human brain tissue samples, some of which were from deceased Alzheimer's patients and some from normal brain tissue.

The typical features seen in the brain tissue of Alzheimer's disease are called plaques. Plaques are protein clumps that are seen outside brain cells, and they have been shown to activate inflammation seen in brain tissue of Alzheimer's disease patients.

Besides the typical plaques seen with Alzheimer's disease, the brain tissues taken from Alzheimer's patients also had many fewer cannabinoid receptors.

Significant changes in the location, expression, and function of cannabinoid receptors may play a role in Alzheimer's disease, write the researchers.

That could mean that the patients had lost the capacity to experience cannabinoids' protective effects, says the news release.

Marijuana and Alzheimer's Mental Decline

The researchers also injected rats with a protein called beta-amyloid, which gave the rats an Alzheimer's-like brain condition.

Some of the same rats were also injected with a cannabinoid. For comparison, other rats got injections of an unrelated protein along with beta-amyloid.

After two months, the rats were tested for learning, memory, and mental functions. The researchers tried to train them to find a platform in a tank of water. The rats had two minutes to find the platform. If they failed, the researchers briefly put the rats on the platform. Four times a day for five days, the rats practiced.

By the fifth day, the rats that received the cannabinoid injections were able to find the platform on their own. Those that didn't get the cannabinoid injections didn't learn to find the platform.

Another interesting result also surfaced. The cannabinoids completely prevented activation of cells that trigger inflammation. These cells gather near plaque and are believed to be involved in the development of Alzheimer's disease.

"Our results indicate that cannabinoid receptors are important in the pathology of Alzheimer's disease and that cannabinoids succeed in preventing the neurodegenerative process occurring in the disease," write the researchers in the journal.

They plan to focus future studies on a cannabinoid receptor that's unrelated to marijuana's "high," says the news release.

SOURCES: Ramirez, B. The Journal of Neuroscience, Feb. 23, 2005; vol 25: pp 1904-1913. WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise: "Alzheimer's Disease: Topic Overview." News release, Society for Neuroscience.
March 1st, 2005 01:10 PM
kath you guys gotta help me remember this....
March 1st, 2005 04:02 PM
Irresistible-Lady in Holland we already know that it's a help for a lot things..:-}
March 1st, 2005 04:14 PM
kath we know it in america, too. sadly, it's illegal.
March 1st, 2005 07:35 PM
justforyou I'm sure those cannabinoid receptors need bong hits...
March 1st, 2005 10:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Irresistible-Lady wrote:
in Holland we already know that it's a help for a lot things..:-}

Here we know that too and it's good for our country's economy as we export 80% of the USA market
March 1st, 2005 10:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Did I say that?

What I said?

I think I need some medicine

Medication time... medication time

Anybody seen my weed?

Oh when the saints go marching in!!
March 1st, 2005 10:48 PM
kath export some of it over here, dude!!! ounces (which are unfindable) are over 300 bucks...mostly it's dold by the 1/8th oz which is 45-50 bucks. and it's shitweed.

March 1st, 2005 10:56 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Easy Kath, North West is tooooo expensive and ever raining or snowing... so come to Voodoo or go to Joey
March 2nd, 2005 12:15 AM
Barney Fife Vamos fazer a cabeça, gente!
March 2nd, 2005 12:20 AM
kath well, i need all the help i can get, believe me!!! it's impossible here!!
March 2nd, 2005 02:27 AM
Irresistible-Lady it's not that fun...
March 2nd, 2005 01:59 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
Vamos fazer a cabeça, gente!

Barney, you keep amazing me dude...... I mean....you have even learned the slangs......fala muito bem.
March 2nd, 2005 02:09 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
kath wrote:
export some of it over here, dude!!! ounces (which are unfindable) are over 300 bucks...mostly it's dold by the 1/8th oz which is 45-50 bucks. and it's shitweed.

I heard a story that once horseshit was found among the good stuff.....
March 2nd, 2005 02:09 PM
Kris
quote:
Irresistible-Lady wrote:
in Holland we already know that it's a help for a lot things..:-}

many things. smoked the best in Holland.
March 2nd, 2005 02:35 PM
kath cow shit gives us the best mushrooms.....

as for the best horseshit, i think it's over at max's now....
March 2nd, 2005 02:37 PM
glencar Oh, I must check out Maxy's. I like good horseshit!
March 2nd, 2005 02:54 PM
Joey

Has anyone here seen me Dope ?!?!
March 2nd, 2005 03:28 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
kath wrote:
cow shit gives us the best mushrooms.....

as for the best horseshit, i think it's over at max's now....

The acid thing I also heard about cow shit......

But I don't have guts enough.... I mean... how could I know if the mushroom is poison or not? I think it's a great experience as long as you have somebody with a previous experience with that.
March 2nd, 2005 03:30 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Oh, I must check out Maxy's. I like good horseshit!

Done ! .....................................

" Any tough can fight - few can play
Any fool can fall - few can lay
Any stud can reproduce - few can please
Anyone can pay - few can lease

It's hard
(It's a hard hard hand to hold
It's a hard land to control)

Any brain can hide - few can stand
Any kid can fly - few can land
Any gang can scatter - few can form
Any kid can chatter - few can inform

It's hard - It's very very very very hard - so very hard

It's hard
(It's a hard hard hand to hold
It's a hard land to control)

Any soul can sleep - few can die
Any wimp can weep - few can cry
Everyone complains - few can state
Anyone can stop - few can wait

It's hard - It's very very very very hard - so hard

Anyone can do anything if they hold the right card
So I'm thinking about my life now
I'm thinking very hard
Deal me another hand Lord, this one's very hard
Deal me another hand Lord, this one's very hard "

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood