ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Boston Garden - July 19, 1972
© Unknown hero with thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
Check his new batch!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Rolling Stones....hippies? Return to archive
February 28th, 2005 09:16 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Are the Stones hippies?
I say yes.
February 28th, 2005 09:55 AM
magicwoman yes
theyre maybe not now but in 60s there were hippies
February 28th, 2005 10:14 AM
Scottfree I don't think they were ever hippies, being a hippie was more of an American thing, although not exclusive to America....
February 28th, 2005 10:33 AM
Jumacfly hippies who turned into bobos IMHO....
February 28th, 2005 12:15 PM
magicwoman
quote:
Scottfree wrote:
I don't think they were ever hippies, being a hippie was more of an American thing, although not exclusive to America....

not agree.In the sixties you had hippies all over the world.It was not esspecially an american thing
February 28th, 2005 02:53 PM
Irresistible-Lady No i heard it first started in France..so it's something from a'll over the world..but they where hippies in the sixties and seventies..
February 28th, 2005 03:03 PM
IanBillen
Hippies wanted to promote peace and love, not war. Hippies often didn't want to work for Corporate America in any way.

The Stones had long hair but their attitude definately was not hippie. they have never been viewed as hippies either. They were more along the line of the radicals.

Ian
February 28th, 2005 05:48 PM
stonedinaustralia no - charlie a hippie?!?! - i don't think so

bohemians (esp. keith & brian)- would be a better description - tho more in the english "romantic" tradition rather than that of the american "beats"

and mick possibly not even that - he was playing the role he thought would get him ahead - calculating and essentially self centred (nothing remotely hippie like at least according to my understanding of the word)

long hair and pot smoking does not a hippie make (IMHO)

david crosby - now there's a hippie
February 28th, 2005 06:22 PM
Soldatti They WERE hippies, but a long time ago.
February 28th, 2005 07:32 PM
MrPleasant They are old men, they are not worried about petty morals.
February 28th, 2005 07:38 PM
exile can you still be a hippie if you have hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank?

February 28th, 2005 08:02 PM
sj According to the Exile cover.. they were FREAKS!
February 28th, 2005 09:35 PM
iluvmickjagger07 i think they are.
hippie:

Noun
Inflected forms: pl.hip·pies A person who opposes and rejects many of the conventional standards and customs of society, especially one who advocates extreme liberalism in sociopolitical attitudes and lifestyles.
February 28th, 2005 11:53 PM
Taptrick
Hedonistic bohemian hippies for most years...that sometimes liked to jet set.

March 1st, 2005 12:35 AM
JumpingKentFlash The Stones looked like hippies to be hip. But they weren't really.
March 1st, 2005 12:42 AM
Poplar
Haight-Ashbury

Irresistible-Lady - LOVED THE PIC OVER ON THE OTHER THREAD, but man, that avatar.... what gives?
March 1st, 2005 01:30 AM
exile
quote:
iluvmickjagger07 wrote:
Noun
Inflected forms: pl.hip·pies A person who opposes and rejects many of the conventional standards and customs of society, especially one who advocates extreme liberalism in sociopolitical attitudes and lifestyles.

Does not sound like Mick and Keith these days....They fly around on their own PRIVATE JETS for gods sake.
March 1st, 2005 02:02 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Are the Stones hippies?
I say yes.

naw
March 1st, 2005 06:32 AM
Irresistible-Lady
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Haight-Ashbury

Irresistible-Lady - LOVED THE PIC OVER ON THE OTHER THREAD, but man, that avatar.... what gives?

not good? i shall change it..
March 1st, 2005 07:44 AM
caro
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
(nothing remotely hippie like at least according to my understanding of the word)

Ooh, I was hoping for a long sia post on this subject... *hint, hint*
I'm still wondering what a hippie is supposed to be... Can a hippie be cynical? Does his hippie status fade when he stops believing that the world can be changed? Does a hippie necessarily have a vast political knowledge?
Also, I'm kind of surprised that you think Mick was too self-centered to be a hippie. From what I've read (but I admit I haven't read much about it), it seemed to me like being self-centered was part of the movement, in a way, as a side-effect of the calls for individual freedom & self-discovery...
March 1st, 2005 05:34 PM
Cant Catch Me Never, except maybe briefly when Mick got fooled into that Maharishi thing by the Beatles. But I don't think he really meant it, he was just getting on board the latest thing and just going through the motions.

Although loads of people, especially hippies themselves, incorrectly thought that the Stones were part of the hippie movement. And maybe some people that thought all hippies were a bunch of freaks thought so too, not really understanding either hippies or the Stones.

At heart the Stones were, like SIA said, bohemians. And they were punks, although not in the punk-rock sense. More in the snotty nosed punk way.

Hippies were essentially hedonists, very self-centered. For awhile they gratified themselves with the whole drugs, free love thing (i.e. lots of sex!), then went whole hog for the big money after drugs and casual sex fell out of favor. Who knows what they are now, probably just a bunch of whiny old fuckers on the verge of dying, though they still can't believe that they're mortal too.
[Edited by Cant Catch Me]
March 1st, 2005 07:32 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
caro wrote:

Ooh, I was hoping for a long sia post on this subject... *hint, hint*

hi caro!! - sorry to diappoint with brevity of my post -if only i had more time as it is a topic that could discussed at some length

as CCM pointed out hippies self centred in a hedonistic/pleasure head kind of way - but i always thought the whole hippie ethos was a peace love and understanding - anti-consumerism mind set

nice to know you care - that's greatly appreciated - love your work too

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
March 2nd, 2005 06:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels CCM, Casual sex fell out of favor? With who? When? Where?
March 3rd, 2005 02:35 AM
Cant Catch Me Four little letters reigned in free love/casual sex: AIDS. Of course you can't stop people from having sex, even with near strangers, but since AIDS most people are more cautious in choosing partners and in protecting themselves from infection. Certain death as a possible consequence of a bad decision kind of got people's attention.

BTW, ever heard Alex Chilton's song, "No Sex," words partially listed below?

Ya know baby, it's the 1980s,
Baby Doc sent it up from Haiti,
Can't get it on, or even get high,
Come on baby, fuck me and die (!!!).
March 3rd, 2005 08:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Hippie Retirement Homes Gaining Popularity

by Morgan Truce

The retirement home industry has been slow to accommodate the lifestyles of the senior citizens it services. A great many homes offer swing music with dinner and movie classics from the 1930’s and 1940’s. A steadily growing market segment is now gearing up for the millions of former hippies who are approaching their golden years.

Many old hippies gave up their lifestyle years ago, but find themselves yearning for the carefree days they once enjoyed. Many haven’t smoked a joint or dropped acid since the Sixties, but some continue the old lifestyle to this day. Arriving in a retirement home with several cartons filled with tie-died shirts, well-worn sandals and bell-bottom jeans, and a small stash of ganja, these old hippies certainly do not want to hear Benny Goodman and eat mashed potatoes.

At the Naturally Hip Retirement Home in an Atlanta suburb, old hippies are made to feel right at home with the morning yoga sessions, constant smell of marijuana in the hallways, organic style meals, hot tub orgies, and crash pads for their visiting friends.

“This place is like so cool, man,” says one aging hippie. “It’s like having good flashbacks all day long. We just have a nice mellow time---no protest marches, no panhandling for spare change, and no having to deal with the man all the time.”

Several retirement homes are offering free recreational drugs and even professional guides for LSD trips. Local law enforcement officials have taken a hands-off approach to such activities as long as the drugs stay in the retirement homes and do not spread into the local high schools.

If you or someone you love are an old flower child approaching the golden years and want more information, please write to the International Association of Hippie Retirement Homes, Post Office Box 97305, San Francisco, CA.

March 3rd, 2005 09:15 PM
rolling who A retirement home for old hippies? Or, as Cheech and Chong would call it, Laid Back Manor.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood