ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Boston Garden - July 19, 1972
© Unknown hero with thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
Check his new batch!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Simpsons named top cartoon (NSC) Return to archive
February 26th, 2005 05:56 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The Simpsons named top cartoon

26/02/2005 - 10:31:58
IO

The Simpsons has eclipsed classics like Tom and Jerry to be named the greatest cartoon.

Matt Groening’s creation has topped a poll of 100 best cartoons voted for by TV viewers.

Homer, Marge, Bart, and Lisa beat Hanna Barbera’s Tom and Jerry to second place, and the more recent South Park to third.

It has been voted more impressive than Hollywood blockbusters Toy Story (4th), and Shrek, voiced by stars like Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy and Cameron Diaz.

Bugs Bunny has made it to tenth place but other classics like Popeye (23), Danger Mouse (24) and Pinnochio (25) have been relegated by modern wonders like The Incredibles (9th) and Finding Nemo (14).

The characters of The Simpsons are named after Groening’s family.

They came about in 1986 when he was asked to create a few animated shorts for the Tracey Ullman Show.

The Simpson family had their own show on Fox three years later, becoming the network’s highest-rated show almost immediately, and attracting a host of guest star voices.

The 100 Greatest Cartoons are being revealed in a countdown programme on Channel 4 on Sunday at 8pm.

Top 50 of the 100 Greatest Cartoons
1. The Simpsons
2. Tom and Jerry
3. South Park
4. Toy Story/Toy Story 2
5. Family Guy
6. Shrek/Shrek 2
7. The Lion King
8. Spirited Away
9. The Incredibles
10. Bugs Bunny
11. The Nightmare Before Christmas
12. The Flintstones
13. The Iron Giant
14. Finding Nemo
15. Wallace and Gromit
16. Akira
17. Aladdin
18. The Ren and Stimpy Show
19. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
20. Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies
21. Princess Mononoke
22. Monsters, Inc
23. Popeye
24. Danger Mouse
25. Pinnochio
26. Beauty and the Beast
27. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
28. Beavis and Butthead
29. Spongebob Squarepants
30. Mickey Mouse
31. Dungeons and Dragons
32. Daffy Duck
33. Futurama
34. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
35. Sylvester & Tweetie Pie
36. Transformers
37. 101 Dalmatians
38. Charlie Brown
39. King of the Hill
40. Wacky Races
41. Samurai Jack
42. Ivor The Engine
43. Spider-Man
44. Pokemon
45. Inspector Gadget
46. Road Runner
47. 2DTV
48. Donald Duck
49. The Little Mermaid
50. Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

February 26th, 2005 12:58 PM
kath ooooooo gurgle

futurama (LOVE IT)
king of the hill (verrry funny)
NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (EXQUISUTE)

very good list!!

guess which cartoon is my husband's favorite.....hmmmm.....

twenty five years i've been married to this man.....and people wonder why i did drugs....
[Edited by kath]
February 26th, 2005 01:41 PM
glimmercat Simpsons Rule!!

But The Nightmare Before Christmas is truly a revelation!

When it was in first run, I was on day shift (6:30am-3pm) & I went to see it every day for 2 weeks. The lady at the counter would see me & print up my ticket before I even got to the window! I got the soundtrack for Xmas a few years ago (finally!!) & played it to death. That movie is very close to the top of my Top 10 list.

Gotta love Jack!!!

meow
February 26th, 2005 01:56 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Some missing notables....

Rocky & Bullwinkle & Mr Peabody & Sherman

Quick Draw McGraw (But I suppose he's covered by Hannah/Barbera)

(My one disappointment is that they never animated Gary Larson's stuff or Shoe.)

February 26th, 2005 01:58 PM
kath ooo ooooo

rocky and bullwinkle...yes!!!

and "far side"......
February 26th, 2005 02:18 PM
kath "nightmare" is a superb movie, and it IS one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. the soundtrack is brilliant (danny elfman RULES!). we have a lot of nightmare memorabilia, and i recently spotted a LIFE SIZED jack skellington at spencer's gifts, but waay too spendy...

if any of you guys haven't seen this movie, you really should!!!
February 26th, 2005 04:19 PM
glencar I haven't watched "The Simpsons" in years except for the Stones episode 2 years back.
February 26th, 2005 04:38 PM
glimmercat
quote:
kath wrote:
"nightmare" is a superb movie, and it IS one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. the soundtrack is brilliant (danny elfman RULES!). we have a lot of nightmare memorabilia, and i recently spotted a LIFE SIZED jack skellington at spencer's gifts, but waay too spendy...

if any of you guys haven't seen this movie, you really should!!!

Life Size?? Yowza. How tall was it--7 feet or something? That would be way cool!! The only Nightmare item I had was the souvenir popcorn bucket from the movie theatre. I paid for a jumbo serving, but just wanted the bucket. The server couldn't understand why I didn't want popcorn *in* the bucket (greasy!!) & it took a few minutes to get what I actually wanted. Unfortunately, in all the moving I've done in the meantime, it got schmushed. Sniff.

meow
February 26th, 2005 04:47 PM
glencar Well, see, you should have taken the clerk's advice & gotten the greasy popcorn!
February 26th, 2005 04:57 PM
Poplar
In the words of comic book guy: "Best cartoon ever."
February 26th, 2005 05:37 PM
kath about 5 feet tall, maybe a little bigger..he was beautiful. started out at 200 bucks, was down to 70 bucks..i dunno. but we have a lot of nightmare stuff. cookie jar of the doctor's head, a hanging jack in the car window, the mayor (his head spins around one side smiley one side frowny)....stuff like that. just love "nightmare"

[Edited by kath]
February 27th, 2005 05:34 PM
iluvmickjagger07 simpsons have been and will always be my favorite catoon.
has the stones appeared in any other cartoons?
February 27th, 2005 08:29 PM
glimmercat Cool pictures, kath!!! I need to see that movie again SOON! I just got a DVD player--that's a good excuse, right?? *Must* get to BlockBuster tomorrow.

meow

February 28th, 2005 07:20 AM
Mr Hess At least those dumb Beatle cartoons from the 60's didn't make the list!
February 28th, 2005 08:23 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Mr Hess wrote:
At least those dumb Beatle cartoons from the 60's didn't make the list!

For sure, those were pretty weak. I never could stand those cartoons that Captain Kangaroo ran either. Can't even remember the name of them now.
February 28th, 2005 12:05 PM
kath whaaaaa'??????? you didn't like tom teeeeeerific and his mighty dog manfred, the wonder dog????

dude!!!!!!
February 28th, 2005 02:57 PM
Mr Hess Bunny Rabbit was a cross-dresser.
February 28th, 2005 05:59 PM
kath and what of grandfather???
February 28th, 2005 06:26 PM
Soldatti The Simpsons were the best cartoon of all times thanks to the "golden era" 1990-1997. Sadly they sucked since 1998.
February 28th, 2005 09:58 PM
Mr Hess
quote:
kath wrote:
and what of grandfather???

He got his clock cleaned!!!
February 28th, 2005 10:18 PM
kath i knew you'd say that.....hooray for hess!!!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood