ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Foro Sol, México City - February 26, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: George Harrison's Birthday Return to archive
26th February 2006 12:02 AM
Kilroy His last album was good, but wish we could get more. I understand he left a whole vault of stuff.
26th February 2006 06:13 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
Kilroy wrote:
His last album was good, but wish we could get more. I understand he left a whole vault of stuff.

AND YOU CAN TAKE A HORSE TO WATER
BUT YOU CAN'T MAKE IT DRINK
YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL OR NOTHING
26th February 2006 07:13 AM
corgi37 Actually, i read only a few days ago, there is nothing in the so-called "vaults". Nothing at all.

And, does George have a connection to the Stonse? I mean, who fucking cares? He wrote maybe 5 good songs in 40 years. Bully for him! And, his biggest hit was stolen!

The only thing he ever did that means anything to me was a comment he made before he croaked. This aint a direct 100% quote, but it went like this:

Live life to the fullest, cause i tell you, 17 to 58 goes like a finger snap.

P.S. He meant from his starting in music to the end days. Great comment too. Just show, not matter how rich you are, the old grim reaper can grab you anytime.

For what its worth, and its worth nothing, and i hate those 4 fucka's so much, but George was my fave. Well, not so much my fave, as in i hated him least. Even i will admit "Something" is a ok song.

And, didnt he see the Stones at the Marquee?

And didnt he carry Bills or Keiths amp out once?

So, here i go - Happy birthday George Harrision.
26th February 2006 11:32 AM
Poison Dart George Harrison was the man!!!

[Edited by Poison Dart]
26th February 2006 11:32 AM
Fadeout_Freedom sounds like it's been a long cold lonely winter for some of us

Along with Keith, George Harrison helped turn me onto Chuck Berry, so that in itself was HUGE.

Think it's time to dust off the White Album..

26th February 2006 12:11 PM
glencar You know I bought Brainwashed & have yet to play it.
26th February 2006 01:07 PM
Kilroy
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Actually, i read only a few days ago, there is nothing in the so-called "vaults". Nothing at all.

And, does George have a connection to the Stonse? I mean, who fucking cares? He wrote maybe 5 good songs in 40 years. Bully for him! And, his biggest hit was stolen!

The only thing he ever did that means anything to me was a comment he made before he croaked. This aint a direct 100% quote, but it went like this:

Live life to the fullest, cause i tell you, 17 to 58 goes like a finger snap.

P.S. He meant from his starting in music to the end days. Great comment too. Just show, not matter how rich you are, the old grim reaper can grab you anytime.

For what its worth, and its worth nothing, and i hate those 4 fucka's so much, but George was my fave. Well, not so much my fave, as in i hated him least. Even i will admit "Something" is a ok song.

And, didnt he see the Stones at the Marquee?

And didnt he carry Bills or Keiths amp out once?

So, here i go - Happy birthday George Harrision.

Bill Wyman April 14 1963, during a show in Richmond, looks over to see the fab four dressed in long leather overcoats, I became very nervous and said to myself "Shit it's the Beatles"
[Edited by Kilroy]
26th February 2006 01:34 PM
RollingstonesUSA George you fuckin' ROCKED! Happy Bday! Hope your still rockin' high up above!
26th February 2006 08:54 PM
FPM C10 Yeah, George was one of the good ones. He's the only Beatle I ever saw live - once on his '74 tour, and again at the '92 Dylan tribute at MSG. Neither performance was earth-shattering, but I'm really glad I saw them.

Miss Youngblood and I re-watched "Concert For George" recently...there is some really incredible stuff on that, if it's your cup of tea (I won't debate Beatles vs Stones), and if nothing else shows what a live Beatles reunion would've ended up being - 50 backup musicians re-creating studio perfection. The version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" they do is amazing, with Macca, Clapton and Ringo all playing their original parts, backed up by 8 guitars, 2 basses, 4 drummers, strings, and I'm pretty sure I saw a guy playing the kitchen sink.

The DVD also contains the most heartfelt performances I've seen from Macca or Clapton in ages. I hate Macca, but his version of "All Things Must Pass" puts a lump in my throat every time. And Clapton & Billy Preston do an amazing job of "Beware of Darkness". The performance of "Something" is pretty great too.

Belated Happy Birthday George.
27th February 2006 12:08 AM
PeerQueer GH was perhaps the most intriguing of the four due to his relative silence - he and John always appeared more artistic to me, while Ringo and Paul come off as the entertainers--

I love that first Wilburry's (sp?) album - still put it in the rotation from time to time...
27th February 2006 08:13 PM
keefjunkie George was by far the greatest.
27th February 2006 08:29 PM
Nellcote George did it for me.

All Things Must Pass was pent up straight on musicianship.
Major points of that brilliance here and there beyond that.

As FPM notes, Bangla Desh is classic.
1st benefit gig.
George fleshed out the superstar at the time, "a couple of numbers from Leon...", with his JJF nod..

Every New Years gets me thinking "A One-Two, Bring Out The Old-Bring In the New, Ding dong Ding dong..."

Great live lp with Clapton from Japan

I'd like to think the whole Roy Orbison resurgence in the late 80's had George written all over it.
Roy never really got to relish in it however..

Of course, the world is a hell of a lot better thanks to
the mind of Nelson Wilbury, his brother's Otis, Charlie T Jnr, Lefty, Lucky...
They really funnily skewered the Boss in "Tweeter & The Monkey Man", great number in End Of The Line..

Where would we be without his contribution of "Far East Man" on "I've Got My Own Album to Do"....

In the background, making upfront music.
Rock On George!

[Edited by Nellcote]
27th February 2006 10:22 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
George did it for me.

All Things Must Pass was pent up straight on musicianship.
Major points of that brilliance here and there beyond that.

As FPM notes, Bangla Desh is classic.

Actually I was talking about the posthumous Royal Albert Hall tribute concert which Clapton directed...any fan of George's should check it out. If you haven't seen it, Nellie, you should.

It's funny that it's soooo much better than the lousy tribute to Lennon they had about the same time - because the people involved in it deeply loved George. Lennon, while more overtly brilliant, was none too lovable. George, by all accounts, was a great human being (rare among rock stars of his stature) and the people involved really wanted to pay tribute to him. Plus the guys from Python appeared, AND Ravi Shankar wrote an amazing piece of music which was performed by an Indian orchestra.

Bangladesh is very cool too. The Dylan set is primo.

It's odd - when I saw George at the Dylan tribute in 1992,he did two songs, but only one was included in the CD/DVD. They kept "Absolutely Sweet Marie" and omitted "If Not For You" which he and Bob wrote together. I actually thought "If Not For You" was the better of the two.
27th February 2006 10:55 PM
jb George Harrison...................................>smrow.
27th February 2006 11:31 PM
Kilroy My favorite Beatle for years! Thank you.
28th February 2006 12:00 AM
keefjunkie It's quite sad the youngest one was the first to die of natural causes... what a loss.

The picture of George singing 'Bangladesh' at TCFB will forever be engraved in my mind, you could really tell how passionate about it he was and it came out in the words and the singing.

R.I.P George
28th February 2006 07:49 PM
nanatod "And, does George have a connection to the Stonse?"

The connection is the Rutles movie, "All you need is cash." Among the musicians who do "cameos" are George Harrison and MICK JAGGER.

And, wasn't Mick present during the sessions for Magical Mystery Tour's "All You Need is Love" recording?

28th February 2006 10:53 PM
Kilroy
quote:
nanatod wrote:
"And, does George have a connection to the Stonse?"

The connection is the Rutles movie, "All you need is cash." Among the musicians who do "cameos" are George Harrison and MICK JAGGER.

And, wasn't Mick present during the sessions for Magical Mystery Tour's "All You Need is Love" recording?

Thank you, for your comment. I always connected the two as the super groups of the 60's!
Like Coke or Pepsi.
When I get tired of one I go listen to the other.
The two groups always shared a equal billing in cover tunes in any of the bands I played in. Both groups were studied and worshiped by the all musicians I have played with.
One of the great debates for me and my buds has always been Beatles VS Stones. It will always be The ....... for me! d8-0
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)