ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Foro Sol, México City - February 26, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sex Pistols Earn My Undying Respect Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
26th February 2006 02:05 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
A story I read at Gas Gas Gas a few minutes ago (this is a different version of the story)-

Sex Pistols Flip Off Rock Hall

by Josh Grossberg
Feb 24, 2006, 2:00 PM PT

Never mind the Rock Hall, there go the Sex Pistols.

Britain's most infamous punk rabble rousers are giving the big middle finger to the music industry types who've tapped the band for enshrinement in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, issuing a grammatically impaired open letter saying they have no intention of attending the induction ceremony scheduled for Mar. 13 at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

"Next to the sex Pistols, rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain. Your museum. Urine in wine. We're not coming," the band says via a handwritten note posted on frontman Johnny Rotten's Website, thefiilthandthefury.co.uk. "Were [sic] not your monkey and so what? Fame at $25,000 if we paid for a table, or $15,000 to squeak up in the gallery, goes to a non-profit organization [sic] selling us a load of old famous."

The Sex Pistols, who had been passed over by voters for several years before making the list, had been expected to inject a little anarchy into the proceedings as one of five acts being inducted. Black Sabbath, Blondie, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the late Miles Davis will also be feted.

But, in a nod to the rebel spirit that inspired generations of mohawk-wearing youth, and helped them sell more than a million records, the Sex Pistols made it perfectly clear where their loyalties lie--with themselves.

"Congratulations," the missive continues. "If you voted for us, hope you noted your reasons. Your [sic] anonymous as judges, but your [sic] still music industry people. Were [sic] not coming. Your [sic] not paying attention. Outside the sh-t-stem is a real Sex Pistol."

With the Sex Pistols apparently sitting out the ceremony, there could still be some fireworks courtesy of Sabbath frontman Ozzy Osbourne. In 2000, tired of repeated rejections by voters who opted for tamer acts like Percy Sledge and Bob Seger, Osbourne and his "War Pigs" comrades slammed the Rock Hall selection process, calling it "meaningless" because it's not voted on by fans. However, the bat-chomping metalhead is expected to turn up at next month's induction.

Despite releasing only one album, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here Comes the Sex Pistols, the Sex Pistols--whose lineup included Johnny Rotten, Paul Cook, Steve Jones, Glen Matlock and the late Sid Vicious--gave 1970s rock 'n' roll a major kick in the ass with blistering, two-minute odes to self-destruction, rebellion and generally bad behavior, including the indelible punk anthems "Anarchy in the U.K." and "God Save the Queen."

The band split in 1978, but surviving members regrouped in 1996 and 2003 for two extremely lucrative tours, which caused some longtime fans to grouse that the band sold out.

In a 2003 interview with Billboard.com, Rotten dissed the band's induction into the "Hall of Shame" and explained why the Sex Pistols have never issued new material since their heyday.

"We only needed to make one album to absolutely define how the world is," the snarling singer said. "Quite frankly, I think it's a miracle that we're still alive, and that's historical in itself. We fought this industry tooth and nail nonstop for 25 solid years, and we're still here."

They just won't be in New York for the ceremony.

26th February 2006 02:27 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
CraigP wrote:

Half of the Pistols hadn't played instruments untill McLaren bought them time in a practice space and bribery.

not true...of the orginal Pistols all three Jones, Matlock and Cook had been playing for some time and if you seriously think they "couldn't play", well, you're letting your prejudices block your ears

granted Sid didn't have much idea but by then the whole thing had become a bit of a joke but the fact that it was a joke was for some (McLaren in particular) the main point

if you can't see that "bollocks" is one of Rock and Roll's greatest albums (even if you don't like it) then imho you don't really get what makes "rock and roll" tick
26th February 2006 02:35 PM
CraigP I do like the album, and I also own it. I can play God Save the Queen on guitar in my sleep (though, most people could, also.)
26th February 2006 02:38 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
the good wrote:

Well, the only reason they are still being talked about is not because of their music, its because they are still behaving like assholes. That's not much of a legacy in my view.

Wrong. If they didn't make one of the finest albums of all time, nobody would even know they are behaving in the manner you described. Nobody would even know they existed.

You have some faith-based issues with the Pistols, which is ironic and retarded given that you post on a Rolling Stones board. In any case, my correct guess is that you don't own Bollocks and have probably never listened to it. Is I right? Yes, of course, I is right.
26th February 2006 03:18 PM
pdog I never knew so many Stones fans didn't get what rock and roll is about...
Millions of people were inspired upon hearing Nevermind The Bollocks. And not just inspired to be musicians, they inspired millions to just take a chance and kick down the doors... If you never heard it or don't like it, that's a matter of taste. If you don't believe what I just wrote is a fact, then you're just ignorant, and that is sad for anyone who is a Stones fan!
26th February 2006 03:19 PM
lotsajizz amen pdog!
26th February 2006 06:08 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

if you can't see that "bollocks" is one of Rock and Roll's greatest albums (even if you don't like it) then imho you don't really get what makes "rock and roll" tick

Yer.

In the late 70s the Pistols defined punk - both culturally and musically. Still do, actually.
That is their legacy - in addition to making one of the most exhilarating albums of all time.
26th February 2006 09:20 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:

Yer.

In the late 70s the Pistols defined punk - both culturally and musically. Still do, actually.
That is their legacy - in addition to making one of the most exhilarating albums of all time.

___

Exactly! Mr. Craig P. tries to declare punk existed before and after the Sex Pistols therefore the Pistols importance is minor...few would dispute there were "punk" bands prior to the Pistols - hell, Iggy beat them to it by about half a decade - he is punk as punk can be in my book, but, as was said, the Pistols came to epitomize the punk ethos - thus their influence was such as to give the concept of punk relevance on a far wider scale than previously seen.

The Sex Pistols music remains a pivotal statement in the annals of rock music -- great fucking band -- shit musicians, but a great band.

26th February 2006 09:35 PM
the good
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Wrong. If they didn't make one of the finest albums of all time, nobody would even know they are behaving in the manner you described. Nobody would even know they existed.

You have some faith-based issues with the Pistols, which is ironic and retarded given that you post on a Rolling Stones board. In any case, my correct guess is that you don't own Bollocks and have probably never listened to it. Is I right? Yes, of course, I is right.

Faith based issues? What are you talking about? Sirmoonie, NOBODY gives a shit about the sex pistols. I can't think of ONE person I know ( I am a musician who has been active in west philly for 10 years) who listens to them anymore. NOBODY. I have maybe heard a band cover a tune of theirs once or twice. MAYBE.

And what bearing does whether or not I own the CD have on the argument over their legacy? ZERO. My sister used to play the damn thing 24/7. But that was like 20 years ago. Thankfully, I haven't heard it since.

None of my friends EVER really liked the sex pistols. All of them liked the Stones, The Who, and Zep, bands that were much further removed from my generation than the Sex Pistols. That's anecdotal, true, but I would be shocked if many people my age (31) grew up listening to them.

If you want to think the Sex Pistols have an important legacy, then go ahead and think so. I think you, a few pseudo intellectual rock critics, and a small portion of the general public live in a bubble. But you are free to choose your own reality.
[Edited by the good]
26th February 2006 10:37 PM
Altamont Yeah, I always base the importance of something on whether my friends like it or not. Because I think for myself darnit..........
26th February 2006 10:58 PM
the good
quote:
Altamont wrote:
Yeah, I always base the importance of something on whether my friends like it or not. Because I think for myself darnit..........

That wasn't the point.
26th February 2006 10:58 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
the good wrote:
Faith based issues? What are you talking about? Sirmoonie, NOBODY gives a shit about the sex pistols.

At least the following people/entities give a piss about The Sex Pistols (recited in no order of importance): The Rolling Stones, Pete Townshend, the federal government of the United States of America, Neil Young, Oasis, the Clash, and the Queen of England.

quote:
And what bearing does whether or not I own the CD have on the argument over their legacy? ZERO. My sister used to play the damn thing 24/7. But that was like 20 years ago.

You don't have it and you have never listened to it. You are uninformed.

quote:
If you want to think the Sex Pistols have an important legacy, then go ahead and think so. I think you, a few pseudo intellectual rock critics, and a small portion of the general public live in a bubble. But you are free to choose your own reality.

Moof piss.
26th February 2006 11:41 PM
the good I told you I have listened to it. Never did it for me Sirmoonie. No important legacy in my view.
27th February 2006 12:00 AM
PeerQueer
quote:
the good wrote:
I told you I have listened to it. Never did it for me Sirmoonie. No important legacy in my view.

____

Just because you listened to it doesn't mean you heard it...
27th February 2006 12:06 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

___

Exactly! Mr. Craig P. tries to declare punk existed before and after the Sex Pistols therefore the Pistols importance is minor...few would dispute there were "punk" bands prior to the Pistols - hell, Iggy beat them to it by about half a decade - he is punk as punk can be in my book, but, as was said, the Pistols came to epitomize the punk ethos - thus their influence was such as to give the concept of punk relevance on a far wider scale than previously seen.

The Sex Pistols music remains a pivotal statement in the annals of rock music -- great fucking band -- shit musicians, but a great band.

PQ - i agree with your post but for one point - which is the same point i took up with Mr.Craig P - i.e. the "shit musicians" comment

as i acnkowledged, Sid was pretty hopeless, but Paul Cooks drumming lacked for nothing and while he was no Steve Howe (thiank god) or indeed an Eric Clapton Steve Jones guitar playing is totally rock and roll - awesome sense of rythym and his riffs and lead lines have a simple power and, i would say, lyricism that defines rock and roll guitar
27th February 2006 12:10 AM
the good I'm starting to feel like piggy in Lord of the Flies.
27th February 2006 01:19 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
the good wrote:
I'm starting to feel like piggy in Lord of the Flies.

_____

Pass the conch!
27th February 2006 01:38 PM
Joey " Pass the conch!"

27th February 2006 03:01 PM
pdog
quote:
the good wrote:

None of my friends EVER really liked the sex pistols. All of them liked the Stones, The Who, and Zep, bands that were much further removed from my generation than the Sex Pistols. That's anecdotal, true, but I would be shocked if many people my age (31) grew up listening to them.

So if your experience is our basis for all things important, Zeppelin is the band we should be listening too...
This is my point exactly... If you want to prove us wrong, go out and interview people, randomly throughout the Philly area... Be as diverse as possible. Ask the relevant questions on this matter... If not, than realize that your contempt prior to investigation, leaves you in everlasting ignorance... Your friends, have the same common interests as you, try going outside of what is common, and please, give us the results... Having grown up near Philly myself, I find it hard to believe you didn't talk to my old friends !!!
27th February 2006 03:06 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Pass the conch!"

_____

XXXOOOOXXXXXXOOOOO
27th February 2006 05:45 PM
the good
quote:
pdog wrote:

So if your experience is our basis for all things important, Zeppelin is the band we should be listening too...
This is my point exactly... If you want to prove us wrong, go out and interview people, randomly throughout the Philly area... Be as diverse as possible. Ask the relevant questions on this matter... If not, than realize that your contempt prior to investigation, leaves you in everlasting ignorance... Your friends, have the same common interests as you, try going outside of what is common, and please, give us the results... Having grown up near Philly myself, I find it hard to believe you didn't talk to my old friends !!!

Pdog, I didn't say my experience is the basis for all things important. The point about Zep really doesn't apply. In fact, I know more people these days who listen to the Stones than Zep. But I wasn't raising it as a popularity issue. Its just tough to say a band has an important legacy when virtually NOBODY listens to them. I can't even think of a station in Philadelphia that PLAYS the sex pistols.
27th February 2006 06:03 PM
pdog
quote:
the good wrote:

Pdog, I didn't say my experience is the basis for all things important. The point about Zep really doesn't apply. In fact, I know more people these days who listen to the Stones than Zep. But I wasn't raising it as a popularity issue. Its just tough to say a band has an important legacy when virtually NOBODY listens to them. I can't even think of a station in Philadelphia that PLAYS the sex pistols.

And...
So if it's about who you know listening to them, and what you hear on the radio, you still make my point valid... This isn't about popularity, you're correct, it's about a legacy. The Pistols created waves that still are breaking on the shores today. I don't need to ever listen to Bollocks ever again, to still have the influence of it in my life today. Yuo can deny the power of what happened to rock and roll back then, but plead you case to some kids banging out noise in some garage near you. Even if The Pistols are a distant blip to them, I can gurentee the family tree of rock and roll that leads to them includes not only our Stones, but also alot of bands influence by The Stones and The Sex Pistols too.
27th February 2006 09:12 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
pdog wrote:

And...
So if it's about who you know listening to them, and what you hear on the radio, you still make my point valid... This isn't about popularity, you're correct, it's about a legacy. The Pistols created waves that still are breaking on the shores today. I don't need to ever listen to Bollocks ever again, to still have the influence of it in my life today. Yuo can deny the power of what happened to rock and roll back then, but plead you case to some kids banging out noise in some garage near you. Even if The Pistols are a distant blip to them, I can gurentee the family tree of rock and roll that leads to them includes not only our Stones, but also alot of bands influence by The Stones and The Sex Pistols too.

____

Pdog speaks the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
27th February 2006 10:57 PM
jb Overrated, over-idolized, could not handle fame, and reduced to Johhny Rotten's clown ACT..........A FAKER AND POSER WHO COULDN'T HANG WITH THE REAL DEAL=STONES.
27th February 2006 11:00 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:
Overrated, over-idolized, could not handle fame, and reduced to Johhny Rotten's clown ACT..........A FAKER AND POSER WHO COULDN'T HANG WITH THE REAL DEAL=STONES.

So you're not a fan of PIL either, I take it?
27th February 2006 11:15 PM
jb
quote:
pdog wrote:

So you're not a fan of PIL either, I take it?

Not really..........liked the concept at the time, but grew up(see Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith).
27th February 2006 11:46 PM
Bloozehound I'd never seen a more worthless waste of bandwidth before reading this thread..
27th February 2006 11:48 PM
jb
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I'd never seen a more worthless waste of bandwidth before reading this thread..

True.
28th February 2006 06:54 AM
FPM C10 Oh, I don't know...there was that whole Dick Cheney thing.
28th February 2006 09:26 AM
Joey " Oh, I don't know...there was that whole Dick Cheney thing. "

[Edited by Joey]
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)