ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Foro Sol, México City - February 26, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sex Pistols Earn My Undying Respect Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
25th February 2006 12:47 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
Reginald Denny wrote:

And let me add, to hell with all punk rock and any musician who can't sing or play the guitar better than my 8 yeard old son.

Piss on the Sex Pistols and their place in rock history.

eat shit
25th February 2006 12:49 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Dan wrote:

And one of the things that was so great about the Pistols is that they did just one album and that was it. No mid life crisis, no horn section, backup singers, no $500 tickets and no penis riding.

Oh, come on. Having only one album makes a band GREAT?
Rather than overrated? Rather than severely lacking in talent and inspiration?

So which one album should the Stones have? Let's see how many people would have agreed and how many of us would actually be here today if that were the case.

Having one album makes Sex Pistols completely insignificant to me when placed alongside bands like Ramones and Clash.

And by the way, this thread is not news. Sex Pistols dissing the HoF? Wow, how totally unpredictable.
25th February 2006 12:56 PM
jb I bet he loves Aerosmith!!!
25th February 2006 01:35 PM
Sir Stonesalot >or they have a different definition of rock & roll than I do.<

That's it in a nutshell. And everyone thinks that their definition is the right definition, or at least, the BEST definition. And the wacky thing is that everyone is right...for themselves.

IMO, musicianship has next to nothing to do with rock n roll. I'm sure the guys in Styx can all play their instruments really well...far better than anyone who plays for the Sex Pistols for sure...but Styx sure as shit isn't in MY definition of rock n roll. Styx is about as unrock n roll as it gets. IMO, at least. If other folks wanna call THAT rock n roll, there's nothing I can do to stop them. It IS rock n roll to them. They are wrong, of course(LOL), but in their minds they are right. You know what I mean?

So why even bother? You like what you like, they like what they like...nothing's gonna change that.

The problem that I have with the RnRHOF is that it is a monument to the Rock and Roll recording industry, not the actual music or musicians. The Rock Hall was concieved and drawn up by music executives. Musicians and fans had no say in it. Yeah great. I mean, who knows more about Rock and Roll than a business executive...certainly not those crazy musicians or those moronic fans.

So whatever, you know? People can like or dislike whatever they want. They can agree or disagree with me. Means nothing to me either way.
25th February 2006 01:48 PM
Reginald Denny
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

So which one album should the Stones have? Let's see how many people would have agreed and how many of us would actually be here today if that were the case.

Having one album makes Sex Pistols completely insignificant to me when placed alongside bands like Ramones and Clash.

And by the way, this thread is not news. Sex Pistols dissing the HoF? Wow, how totally unpredictable.

That is the most coherent thought yet offered.

[Edited by Reginald Denny]
25th February 2006 02:27 PM
Dan
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

If its a great album, then yeah it does make a band great. Especially if they recognize and embrace their own lack of talent and don't bother to make any others that could never possibly measure up.

quote:

Utter ridiculous bullshit to even try to compare the two situation.

quote:

The Ramones are my favorite band and of course I would take "London Calling" over any Sex Pistols album, but the Pistols burned bright and hot for a short period, rather than sputter along to a halt like The Clash a few years after everyone stopped caring.

quote:

Sure, but its a nice enough gesture just the same.
25th February 2006 02:45 PM
gimmekeef They did one album?...and they qualify for Hall of Fame...????..that alone says how fuckin ridiculous the whole thing is...My careometer is at minus 30 on this one..
25th February 2006 03:25 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Dan wrote:

Utter ridiculous bullshit to even try to compare the two situation.

I just assumed you were comparing them because you had to bring up the back-up singers, the horn section, and $500 tickets.
25th February 2006 04:49 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>or they have a different definition of rock & roll than I do.<

That's it in a nutshell. And everyone thinks that their definition is the right definition, or at least, the BEST definition. And the wacky thing is that everyone is right...for themselves.

Well, I've been with you on two different occasions when we were looking right up at Johnny Rotten, right in front of us, (that one time you were a foot from his acne-scarred face!) singing "Anarchy in the UK", while the ballroom exploded around us, and I'll be GOD DAMNED if that wasn't Rock and Roll. By ANY possible definition!

Having seen it, it seems irrefutable!

The cool thing about this for me is I specifically wished, right here a few weeks ago, that they would do exactly what they ended up doing, and they used the word "monkey" while doing it!

Hey, I'm not going to take M to the movie on Tuesday but thanks for offering to pick him up. We have some errands to run after work and then we're going to grab supper somewhere. I think Brownie's going too. See ya there.
25th February 2006 05:26 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
glencar wrote:
Can't we all just get along?

Here?.....lol......What fun would that be!
25th February 2006 05:41 PM
the good I say this is good news. Why should an overrated band with no legacy to speak of have a place in the R&R hall of fame.
25th February 2006 05:47 PM
glencar They'll be in there; they're just refusing to show up for the induction ceremony.
25th February 2006 05:50 PM
FPM C10 "no legacy to speak of"...

that is too fucking funny.

The REALLY great thing is this is a "have your cake and eat it too" deal - for good or bad they are already IN the HoF and are thumbing their noses at the dinner invitation!

25th February 2006 06:46 PM
the good
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
"no legacy to speak of"...

that is too fucking funny.

The REALLY great thing is this is a "have your cake and eat it too" deal - for good or bad they are already IN the HoF and are thumbing their noses at the dinner invitation!

Well, fine, they are in there. But what legacy do they really have? I don't see it.
25th February 2006 07:08 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
the good wrote:

Well, fine, they are in there. But what legacy do they really have? I don't see it.

Almost 30 years on and they are still being talked about on a Stones board. Connect the dots.

Better yet, listen to Bollocks - super fine to this day. Now THAT is rock and roll!
25th February 2006 07:17 PM
the good
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Almost 30 years on and they are still being talked about on a Stones board. Connect the dots.

Better yet, listen to Bollocks - super fine to this day. Now THAT is rock and roll!

Well, the only reason they are still being talked about is not because of their music, its because they are still behaving like assholes. That's not much of a legacy in my view.
25th February 2006 08:23 PM
CraigP Fuck the Sex Pistols. They are victims of a production by a greedy sex/fetish shop-owner who cleverly decided to exploit this image for a band (after catching future band member Steve Jones shoplifting from his shop).
Half of the Pistols hadn't played instruments untill McLaren bought them time in a practice space and bribery.

McLaren was a clever business man. He had the right connections to successfully market manufactured angst.
They were supposed to be anarcho yet they sucked from the system that had given them their name.

I've studied this band, punk rock and listen to many REAL punk bands (not corporate buble-gum punk). Most of my friends are punks (note: Boston has a huge punk scene).
Most hate the Pistols but like/love the Stones. (The Stones are corporate but they don't pose the opposite).

Punk became a fashion like hippie used to be and school boy sedition backed by big-time promoters.

There are still real punk bands out there with many different sounds and messages (most not anarcho). Despite popular beleif, we are very peaceful people... MUCH like the new "hippies" of old, beleive it or not.

[Edited by CraigP]
25th February 2006 08:40 PM
JaggerLips GOD I LOVE JOHN LYDON!
25th February 2006 10:09 PM
PeerQueer The Pistols had an influence that extended far beyond their one album and the few years or so of the punk era - it was attitude - a mythos of anti-social behavior that permeated the British underclass who were sick and tired of being told they were not as good as others in society simply because of who and where they were born - an outcry of concerted anger against a system inherently stagnant with caste corruptibility...something that was just as existent, though not as visual, across the pond in America.

They were a musical car wreck - and just like a car wreck, you can't help but slow down and look, if just for a moment, because such scenes are a reminder of our own precarious mortality. The Sex Pistols were a much-needed awakening in Rock and Roll. I would argue they are more deserving than some who have been inducted, and fully agree with their position, however calculated it might be, to tell the HOF to simply fuck off.

But just like all forms of revolutionary music, Punk, like RnB, Country, RnR, Grunge, was bought out and tamed into submission by the corporate musical vampires who drain the life out of everything simple and pure -----

There has not been an injection of much needed musical anarchy since Grunge. Don't say RAP, because that shit is the single most commercialized genre in music today with pathetic mumbling caricatures of Black urban youth who make white corporate music moguls rich only to be discarded for the next clown who comes along...

LONG LIVE THE SEX PISTOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
25th February 2006 10:16 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
the good wrote:
I say this is good news. Why should an overrated band with no legacy to speak of have a place in the R&R hall of fame.

eat shit
25th February 2006 11:27 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Had you been alive then you'd realize how laughably misplaced are your comments.....
25th February 2006 11:55 PM
CraigP
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
The Pistols had an influence that extended far beyond their one album and the few years or so of the punk era - it was attitude - a mythos of anti-social behavior that permeated the British underclass who were sick and tired of being told they were not as good as others in society simply because of who and where they were born - an outcry of concerted anger against a system inherently stagnant with caste corruptibility...something that was just as existent, though not as visual, across the pond in America.

Dude, this "attitude" some call punk existed, along with the sound, years before the Pistols. Malcom McLaren made it mainstream pop. Then, coprorations selling records and ripped t-shirts could profit (EXACTLY what punk was against).

Trust me. I am the punk of the board if there was one.

There are some really TRUE and very talented quite popular but sub-mainstraim (the way punk should have always been) out there. There are shows left and right here in Boston. Bands that tour from the U.K. You, who are uninterested, don't hear it.
26th February 2006 03:42 AM
the good
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:

eat shit

Eloquent. Sounds like the Sex Pistols wrote it.
26th February 2006 08:10 AM
corgi37 Whether we like it or not (and i dont) they DO have a legacy, because 30 years later, people are still talking about them! they changed things, no doubt. The Stones sure as hell didnt make SOME GIRLS in reaction to BONY M, thats for sure.

Sex Pistosl were frauds - no doubt - but that was the whole point. From day one, they werent in it to save rock and roll. They were in it to MAKE MONEY! They didnt sell out - they never sold in!

And, aint it so hilarious to see 40 year old punks? its as funny now as it once was to see 40 year old hippies.

The Pistols were not the saviours of rock. They were just taking the piss, and a whole sub-culture was born. And, the funny thing is, not one Yank got it! What were the sale of Never mind the bollocks in the U.S. compared to Saturday night fever? Or, bollocks Vs Donna Summer, for that matter! No, you Yanks didnt get it. Poms did. We Aussies did - and laughed it off. The French and Germans took it for real. But America, no!! It was all Foreigner and Cheap Trick and Pablo Cruise. And the godamned Eagles and Linda fuckng Ronsdadt! Shame, bald eagle lovers, shame!You can spill out the Ramones, and CB-GB's all you like. But i'll say 1 thing.

NO ONE HERE EVER WENT TO CB_CG's in the 70's! If you say you did - i dont believe you! You might as well say you went to Woodstock! No, Yank's idea of punk was Blondie and Devo.

Never mind the bollocks - has simply got to be the most pathetic thing i have ever heard. I much preferred the punk era Stranglers - Or Australia's own SAINTS.

Who, by the way, were BEFORE THE PISTOLS!!!! Fucking ignorant bastards that you all are. And they were not made to sell torn t-shirts!

When the up-keep on Matlocks' L.A. condo get too much, and when Lydon cant be on another reality show, yep, the Pistols will tour again.

26th February 2006 08:14 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Whether we like it or not (and i dont) they DO have a legacy, because 30 years later, people are still talking about them! they changed things, no doubt. The Stones sure as hell didnt make SOME GIRLS in reaction to BONY M, thats for sure.

Sex Pistosl were frauds - no doubt - but that was the whole point. From day one, they werent in it to save rock and roll. They were in it to MAKE MONEY! They didnt sell out - they never sold in!

And, aint it so hilarious to see 40 year old punks? its as funny now as it once was to see 40 year old hippies.

The Pistols were not the saviours of rock. They were just taking the piss, and a whole sub-culture was born. And, the funny thing is, not one Yank got it! What were the sale of Never mind the bollocks in the U.S. compared to Saturday night fever? Or, bollocks Vs Donna Summer, for that matter! No, you Yanks didnt get it. Poms did. We Aussies did - and laughed it off. The French and Germans took it for real. But America, no!! It was all Foreigner and Cheap Trick and Pablo Cruise. And the godamned Eagles and Linda fuckng Ronsdadt! Shame, bald eagle lovers, shame!You can spill out the Ramones, and CB-GB's all you like. But i'll say 1 thing.

NO ONE HERE EVER WENT TO CB_CG's in the 70's! If you say you did - i dont believe you! You might as well say you went to Woodstock! No, Yank's idea of punk was Blondie and Devo.

Never mind the bollocks - has simply got to be the most pathetic thing i have ever heard. I much preferred the punk era Stranglers - Or Australia's own SAINTS.

Who, by the way, were BEFORE THE PISTOLS!!!! Fucking ignorant bastards that you all are. And they were not made to sell torn t-shirts!

When the up-keep on Matlocks' L.A. condo get too much, and when Lydon cant be on another reality show, yep, the Pistols will tour again.

amen.

1 very good album

who's got more of a legacy though?
The Clash or The Pistols?
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
26th February 2006 09:17 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
No, Yank's idea of punk was Blondie and Devo.

You are misinformed. DEVO was NEVER punk and pre-dated such by many years. The band formed at Kent State following the massacre in '71---the members were all present that day, within weeks they were playing. YOU might think DEVO was punk. That, however, is a mistake no "Yank" (I hate that fuckin' term) would make.

Mate.

Good d'y

OK now

Cazart!!
26th February 2006 10:09 AM
Sir Stonesalot >NO ONE HERE EVER WENT TO CB_CG's in the 70's!<

Uhhhh....I was only 9 when The Ramones played for their first CBGB show. I wasn't old enough to drive until 1982. And I wasn't old enough to drive after 11pm until 1984. I think I have a pretty good excuse for not being there. That, and NYC, back then, was at least a 5 hour drive.

But there IS at least one person at this board who actually PLAYED at CBGBs...but I think it was in the early 80's.

Actually, I think the Pistols biggest legacy isn't really musical...sorta, but not really. The Pistols legacy is that they showed that ANYONE could have a band. You didn't have to play as good as Clapton, and you didn't have to sing as pretty as Freddie Mercury. All you needed was the SPIRIT and COURAGE to actually DO IT. The Sex Pistols broke down walls, and they made rock n roll young and fresh again.

Some people say that that was a BAD thing. Whatever. That's a matter of opinion.
26th February 2006 12:18 PM
glencar I never did get to CBGB's but I did see Patti Smith in Central park's Wollman Rink in the 70's. She was punk.
26th February 2006 12:52 PM
lotsajizz Patti always could rock.....an underappreciated genius

26th February 2006 01:36 PM
Taptrick
I must say that for my perspective Sir Stonesalot seems to have become much more open minded in the last year or so. Still seems to have the passionate opinion but seems more understanding that others disgree with him. I don't post much but I have to say thank you to SS for some of his post. One of your posts caused me to check out The Detroit Cobras. A marvelous example of a band taking a song and doing a pure rock n' roll interpretation of that song.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)