ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Foro Sol, México City - February 26, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sex Pistols Earn My Undying Respect Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
25th February 2006 12:22 AM
FPM C10 A story I read at Gas Gas Gas a few minutes ago (this is a different version of the story)-

Sex Pistols Flip Off Rock Hall

by Josh Grossberg
Feb 24, 2006, 2:00 PM PT

Never mind the Rock Hall, there go the Sex Pistols.

Britain's most infamous punk rabble rousers are giving the big middle finger to the music industry types who've tapped the band for enshrinement in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, issuing a grammatically impaired open letter saying they have no intention of attending the induction ceremony scheduled for Mar. 13 at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

"Next to the sex Pistols, rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain. Your museum. Urine in wine. We're not coming," the band says via a handwritten note posted on frontman Johnny Rotten's Website, thefiilthandthefury.co.uk. "Were [sic] not your monkey and so what? Fame at $25,000 if we paid for a table, or $15,000 to squeak up in the gallery, goes to a non-profit organization [sic] selling us a load of old famous."

The Sex Pistols, who had been passed over by voters for several years before making the list, had been expected to inject a little anarchy into the proceedings as one of five acts being inducted. Black Sabbath, Blondie, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the late Miles Davis will also be feted.

But, in a nod to the rebel spirit that inspired generations of mohawk-wearing youth, and helped them sell more than a million records, the Sex Pistols made it perfectly clear where their loyalties lie--with themselves.

"Congratulations," the missive continues. "If you voted for us, hope you noted your reasons. Your [sic] anonymous as judges, but your [sic] still music industry people. Were [sic] not coming. Your [sic] not paying attention. Outside the sh-t-stem is a real Sex Pistol."

With the Sex Pistols apparently sitting out the ceremony, there could still be some fireworks courtesy of Sabbath frontman Ozzy Osbourne. In 2000, tired of repeated rejections by voters who opted for tamer acts like Percy Sledge and Bob Seger, Osbourne and his "War Pigs" comrades slammed the Rock Hall selection process, calling it "meaningless" because it's not voted on by fans. However, the bat-chomping metalhead is expected to turn up at next month's induction.

Despite releasing only one album, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here Comes the Sex Pistols, the Sex Pistols--whose lineup included Johnny Rotten, Paul Cook, Steve Jones, Glen Matlock and the late Sid Vicious--gave 1970s rock 'n' roll a major kick in the ass with blistering, two-minute odes to self-destruction, rebellion and generally bad behavior, including the indelible punk anthems "Anarchy in the U.K." and "God Save the Queen."

The band split in 1978, but surviving members regrouped in 1996 and 2003 for two extremely lucrative tours, which caused some longtime fans to grouse that the band sold out.

In a 2003 interview with Billboard.com, Rotten dissed the band's induction into the "Hall of Shame" and explained why the Sex Pistols have never issued new material since their heyday.

"We only needed to make one album to absolutely define how the world is," the snarling singer said. "Quite frankly, I think it's a miracle that we're still alive, and that's historical in itself. We fought this industry tooth and nail nonstop for 25 solid years, and we're still here."

They just won't be in New York for the ceremony.

25th February 2006 12:26 AM
JuanTCB Amen!
25th February 2006 12:44 AM
Altamont When is GG up for up for nomination into that sacred shrine?

25th February 2006 12:49 AM
Dan This has to be one of the greatest moments in the history of REAL Rock 'N' Roll. I hate the Hall Of Fame and everything about it.
25th February 2006 01:08 AM
Reginald Denny
quote:
Dan wrote:
This has to be one of the greatest moments in the history of REAL Rock 'N' Roll. I hate the Hall Of Fame and everything about it.

So don't go. Don't read about it. And better yet, don't talk about it. Then start your own hall of fame and see how many people come. The Sex Pistols should refuse to attend. Their musical talent, or lack thereof, will be blatantly conspicuous at such an event. Good PR move from their standpoint.

25th February 2006 01:30 AM
Dan
quote:
Reginald Denny wrote:

So don't go. Don't read about it. And better yet, don't talk about it. Then start your own hall of fame and see how many people come. The Sex Pistols should refuse to attend. Their musical talent, or lack thereof, will be blatantly conspicuous at such an event. Good PR move from their standpoint.

Never been, rarely acknowledge its existence, don't watch the ridiculous ceremony on VH1 etc, The whole concept is the antithesis of rock n roll. And as I have said before earlier, musical talent is not a necessary ingredient for making a great album.
25th February 2006 03:43 AM
PolkSalad
quote:
Altamont wrote:
When is GG up for up for nomination into that sacred shrine?

well he won't be going will he?
25th February 2006 05:27 AM
corgi37 Who gives a stuff either way? The Hall of Fame is as big a wank as the Grammys. Damn you Yanks, you fuck up everything thats good.

Rock and roll.

Coca Cola.

Iraq.
25th February 2006 05:46 AM
speedfreakjive are the Stones in the Hall Of Fame?
25th February 2006 09:22 AM
FPM C10
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Who gives a stuff either way? The Hall of Fame is as big a wank as the Grammys. Damn you Yanks, you fuck up everything thats good.

Rock and roll.

Coca Cola.

Iraq.

Coca Cola's still okay. "New Coke" WAS distinctly American, but when it became painfully obvious that it was an embarrassing stupid failure we pulled the plug. Hmmmm...now if we could just apply that principle to the Bush administration....

25th February 2006 09:23 AM
FPM C10 Sex Pistols Consider Final Reunion

artist: sex pistols
date: 02/03/2006
category: upcoming tours

John Lydon is considering reforming Sex Pistols for one final money-spinning show. Johnny Rotten, known by his Lydon stage name, has been approached to appear with surviving bandmates Steve Jones, Glen Matlock and Paul Cook in Japan.

And the legendary punk band is tempted to film the show as their final performance and go out with a bang. Sex Pistols last played together at their 20th anniversary gig in London in 1996.

He says, "There's been an offer in Japan... we might do it cos the money's great, but secondly it can be filmed and that can be an end-piece.

"We've done England. The hardcore were there (at Crystal Palace) and that's all that counts. And all those that weren't, like other punk bands, can go f**k themselves."

Lydon openly admits that the mutual hatred shared by the ex-Sex Pistols works brilliantly on stage, but makes touring impossible. "We like the fact that we dislike each other. In a weird way it makes us like each other all the more.

"It's so brazenly in-your-face honest between us. I love being on stage with those chaps - and I wouldn't be seen dead with them off. And they'd tell you the same about me."

25th February 2006 09:33 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Sex Pistols last played together at their 20th anniversary gig in London in 1996.

Not an accurate news report (not FPM's actual words, he knows better I'm sure)...they did a three week 'Piss Off Tour' in North America in 2003.
[Edited by lotsajizz]
[Edited by lotsajizz]
25th February 2006 09:41 AM
rollmops I have been 3 times to the Hall of Fame in Cleveland. I gave $$$ to it because I love Rock and Roll. The museum is a place that should have been located in a bigger city; New York maybe. Although there are plenty of artifacts, informations,movies, music which is great when someone is interested in learning about that god damn rock and rock, the ambiance inside the Hall sucks big time. It is in fact totally depressing!!! There is no spirit, no energy; it is hardly rock and roll place.
Rock and Roll mops
25th February 2006 09:53 AM
lotsajizz rock does not belong in a museum

the whole concept is lame
25th February 2006 09:56 AM
glencar I was there once rollmops & I agree with you. Horrid place.
25th February 2006 10:19 AM
Reginald Denny
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

...they did a three week 'Piss Off Tour' in North America in 2003.

Sellouts
25th February 2006 10:25 AM
Reginald Denny
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
rock does not belong in a museum

the whole concept is lame

This is what I'm saying. If people don't like it they don't have to go. They don't even have to acknowledge it exists. Rock n' Roll, IMO, does not belong on records. But people still buy them. Can't fault Cleveland for wanting to make a little money. The problem is, there wouldn't be enough visitors, with money, to support the kind of hall of fame you guys would like to see.
25th February 2006 10:32 AM
jb Fuck the Sex Pistols..........the hated the Stones and your saw their fate....they got what they deserved!!! Johnny Rooten is the equivalent today of David Lee Roth..a fucking joke...
25th February 2006 10:53 AM
Reginald Denny
quote:
jb wrote:
Fuck the Sex Pistols..........the hated the Stones and your saw their fate....they got what they deserved!!! Johnny Rooten is the equivalent today of David Lee Roth..a fucking joke...

And let me add, to hell with all punk rock and any musician who can't sing or play the guitar better than my 8 yeard old son.

Piss on the Sex Pistols and their place in rock history.
25th February 2006 10:54 AM
jb
quote:
Reginald Denny wrote:

And let me add, to hell with all punk rock and any musician who can't sing or play the guitar better than my 8 yeard old son.

Piss on the Sex Pistols and their place in rock history.

You shall be greeted!!!
25th February 2006 11:05 AM
keefkid
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
are the Stones in the Hall Of Fame?

yea they were one of the first bands inducted...keith was at lots if not all of the real early ceremonies, inducted ZZ Top most recently, the jam at the end of the shows used to be pretty cool, i think this institution has worn out is usefulness however ... but i dont think it is anywhere near as much of a joke as the Grannies .. ah mean 'Grammies'

sex pistols still think they are 'rebels' how cute...
25th February 2006 11:58 AM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:
Fuck the Sex Pistols..........the hated the Stones and your saw their fate....they got what they deserved!!! Johnny Rooten is the equivalent today of David Lee Roth..a fucking joke...

BFD if they hated the Stones. When the Sex Pistols formed, Mick was riding a penis and doing the butt dance with Billy Preston. And one of the things that was so great about the Pistols is that they did just one album and that was it. No mid life crisis, no horn section, backup singers, no $500 tickets and no penis riding.
25th February 2006 12:01 PM
glencar They were wankers but they were also fun. Kinda like speedfreakjive.
25th February 2006 12:13 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Reginald Denny wrote:

This is what I'm saying. If people don't like it they don't have to go. They don't even have to acknowledge it exists. Rock n' Roll, IMO, does not belong on records. But people still buy them. Can't fault Cleveland for wanting to make a little money. The problem is, there wouldn't be enough visitors, with money, to support the kind of hall of fame you guys would like to see.

This is what I'm saying. If people don't like me not liking it they can ignore me. They don't even have to acknowledge I exist. Can't fault I. M. Pei for wanting to make some money, but a fucking glass pyramid was last seen in conjunction with "rock & roll" during Todd Rundgren's 1976 "Utopia" tour. Is Todd in the Hall of Fame yet? I'm sure he will be, maybe the same year they induct Hall & Oates and Casey Kasem. The problem is that rock & roll doesn't belong in a fucking museum. And even if it did, one could have a better time and see cooler artifacts going on a drinking tour of Hard Rock Cafes.

People dissing the Pistols never saw them, or they have a different definition of rock & roll than I do.
25th February 2006 12:17 PM
Reginald Denny
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

People dissing the Pistols never saw them, or they have a different definition of rock & roll than I do.

People dissing the Pistols are doing exactly what the Pistols have done to many fine musicians, fine people and fine institutions. I'm just doing a pistol to the Pistols. Do I have your undying respect?

[Edited by Reginald Denny]
25th February 2006 12:22 PM
JuanTCB Reginald Denny wrote:
"And let me add, to hell with all punk rock and any musician who can't sing or play the guitar better than my 8 yeard old son.

Piss on the Sex Pistols and their place in rock history."

Ha! That's by far the stupidest thing I've ever read about music. It would appear that you, sir, do not like rock n' roll.
25th February 2006 12:25 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Reginald Denny wrote:

People dissing the Pistols are doing exactly what the Pistols have done to many fine musicians, fine people and fine institutions. I'm just doing a pistol to the Pistols. Do I have your undying respect?

No! Not in any of your incarnations!

25th February 2006 12:28 PM
glencar Can't we all just get along?
25th February 2006 12:32 PM
Reginald Denny
quote:
JuanTCB wrote:

Ha! That's by far the stupidest thing I've ever read about music. It would appear that you, sir, do not like rock n' roll.

What other bands do I have to like to "like rock n' roll"? I always thought I liked it. But now I'm not so sure.

I'm finding it odd that a little voiciferous criticism of the Sex Pistols is meeting with such negativity. The Sex Pistols would salute me. I'm the Johnny Rotten of this thread.

25th February 2006 12:34 PM
glencar There's a checklist. JuanTCB will PM it to you.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)