ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rolling Stones 40x20 third stop starts today
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Page Six today Return to archive
02-28-03 08:59 AM
lonecrapshooter NY Post February 28, 2003
THE world's most money-grubbing rock band, the Rolling (in dough) Stones, have finally agreed to play in India -- only because the impoverished nation eased its entertainment tax, leaving their huge profits intact. The Stones planned to skip India on their current world tour because of the prohibitive tax levied by the Maharashtra government. Now they say they'll rock Bombay and Bangalore in April. The band has chartered an entire Boeing 747 for its 1,000 tons of equipment and crew of 145, reports the BBC.

02-28-03 09:12 AM
Nellcote I hope the tour rider makes it to smoking gun.com. I want to view the flavor of Slurpee that the Stones forced the Indian Govt. to include at this show.
02-28-03 10:34 AM
glencar See? Tax cuts are a great idea! Tax cutss bring on the Stones. I am a bit perturbed by the NY Post's approach to this issue.
02-28-03 10:45 AM
jb Me too...why they always have to put a negative slant on things regarding the Stones..here, they are trying to play in more places than any othe band, and who can blame them for trying to make it economically viable.
02-28-03 10:57 AM
Riffhard This is so typical of the kind of reporting that the Post has always given the Stones. The Post never has a problem fawning over the boys when their in NYC,but once they leave all bets are off. I mean this little blurb is written in a way to make the band appear greedy,and noone around here could deny Mick's fruggelness. However,if you break it down the article shoots down the very point that it's intended to make.

The first few lines are written with little jabs and barbs...."THE world's most money-grubbing rock band, the Rolling (in dough) Stones, have finally agreed to play in India -- only because the impoverished nation eased its entertainment tax, leaving their huge profits intact."....

Then the last couple of lines make it perfectly clear why the Stones have agreed to make the trip to India. The easing of the tax codes are why they can now afford to play Bangalore.... "Now they say they'll rock Bombay and Bangalore in April. The band has chartered an entire Boeing 747 for its 1,000 tons of equipment and crew of 145, reports the BBC."

How can the Post or for that matter any paper or media outlet bitch about the Stones covering their ass financially? How much money would it take to charter a 747 and put up a road crew of 145 in India? Just getting the show there would cost the band millions. They would never agree to go to all that trouble if they didn't get a slice of the pie. I don't think anyone could blame them,or fault them,for that.

Riffhard
02-28-03 12:17 PM
lucasd4
quote:
jb wrote:
Me too...why they always have to put a negative slant on things regarding the Stones..here, they are trying to play in more places than any othe band, and who can blame them for trying to make it economically viable.

You wouldn't say this if it were McCartney doing it.....
02-28-03 12:21 PM
Riffhard BIG difference lucas. Macca has been dumping shows,see Austrailia. The Stones are setting OZ on fire by all accounts. The Stones are continuing adding shows and continents while Pauline is aborting shows due to poor ticket sales!

Riffhard
02-28-03 10:26 PM
BILL PERKS THINK THEY'LL BUST OUT INDIAN GIRL FOR THAT SHOW?
03-01-03 11:12 AM
Monkey Woman 'Indian Girl' wouldn't do! Different Indians, different continent...

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST