ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rolling Stones 40x20 third stop starts today
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rod Laver Arena Melbourne Feb 25 setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive
02-25-03 09:03 AM
woodywoodpecker 1.START ME UP
2.ITS ONLY R&R
3.IF YOU CANT ROCK ME
4.DONT STOP
5.ROCKS OFF
6.WILD HORSES
7.DEAD FLOWERS
8.BITCH
9.GIMMIE SHELTER
10.TUMBLING DICE
11.SLIPPIN AWAY
12.BEFORE TYHEY MAKE ME RUN
13.SYMPATHY
14.HONKY TONK
15.CYHMK
16.SATISFACTION
17.WHIP B STAGE
18.LARS B STAGE
19.BROWN SUGAR
20.JUMPIN JACK

THEY WERE GREAT I WILL WRITE A REVIEW TOMORROW!
CHEERS WOODY
02-25-03 09:22 AM
Moonisup wow Rocks off! Need to hear that one!
02-25-03 09:38 AM
crashbandicoot001 ...many thanks, woody......

02-25-03 09:38 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Ah, wow! "Rocks Off" AND "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"... awesome, woodpecker! Dreams come true, eh?

-tSYX --- 's gonna be my fault, an' no one else...
02-25-03 09:57 AM
moy woody you rock! thank you for the setlist and please post a review i'm sure it will be great coming from you

here's an article and pic

Mick Jagger struts his stuff as the Rolling Stones' 40 Licks world tour hits Melbourne last night.

40 years and still rolling hard
February 26 2003
By Jo Roberts

It was the best party you ever went to, the most intense love you had ever known, the most gut-wrenching break-up you had endured - and the Rolling Stones brought it all back for 14,000 fans at Rod Laver Arena last night in their first Melbourne show since 1995.

On the first night of their three-night Melbourne stand as part of their 40 Licks World Tour (rumoured secret gigs not included), the biggest rock band in the world took a willing Melbourne by the scruff of its neck for two hours as they continued to belie their 40-year existence in a high-energy display that puts them in line to be deemed the eighth wonder of the world.

You will never see a band work so hard. Keith Richards began the night chopping out the opening chords to Start Me Up - amazingly, the band's last number one hit here, in 1981 - before Mick, Ron and Charlie (with Chuck Leavell on keyboard and Darryl Jones on bass) joined them on stage.

Jagger, resplendent in purple satin dress coat, pranced about the stage like a colt. Flexing his still-boyish figure, he worked one side of the stage, then the other, enticing people sitting at the side of the stage to their feet.

The crowd on the floor were on their feet from the word go, however, and moved into a second gear of delirium when the Stones next launched into It's Only Rock'n'Roll.

Richards, with the ubiquitous, black head-band, did his trademark slow lurch about the stage, while Ronnie Wood flashed his Cheshire Cat grin and Charlie Watts - well, he just did his Charlie thing.

For Don't Stop, Jagger donned a guitar, Wood swapped his guitar for one that was armed with a guitar-cam (for the benefit of the big screen behind them) and they were joined on stage by a trio of vocalists boasting fellow music royalty Blondie Chaplin and a four-piece brass section led by Bobby Keys.

The band played classics such as Bitch, Sympathy for the Devil, Honky Tonk Women, Gimme Shelter (an incendiary highlight), Tumbling Dice and Dead Flowers, while also pulling out their more reclined, love-lorn standards such as Wild Horses.

It is easy to be cynical if you have never seen the Stones live - a rock band that's been around for 40 years was seen like a contradiction in terms; after all, rock'n'roll is meant to be the domain of youth.

But this was not so much a gig as a rite of passage: something everyone should do before they die.

The Rolling Stones play Rod Laver Arena tomorrow night and Saturday night.

02-25-03 09:59 AM
moy

02-25-03 11:28 AM
steel driving hammer Last night, talking bout last night...

02-25-03 11:30 AM
steel driving hammer From IORR...

Review by Roberto De Tuoni (Holland)
After 2 Superdome gigs which I thought belonged to Keith, tonight the whole band was on fire. We had a tight If you can't rock me, a superb Wild Horses, a thunderous Gimme Shelter. I had one of the best moment of my Stones carreer when, after Slipping Away, I shouted for Before they make me run from my second row place and Keith answered me "You got it out just off of my mouth" and just started playing it. I thought the stage was a bit lower compared to Sydney and permitted me to see the whole Charlie for the first time ever, let apart the club gigs. The crowd was maybe a bit more involved compared to Sydney, though whoever was on the tribune, just sat down most of the concert, even when the Stones were treating them with a mean version of Sympathy for the Devil, but being up front I didn't mind so much. The enthousiasm of all those who were lucky to be upfront in this fantastic gig and being close to my friends made it a special night to remember. We are looking forward to Thursday, 5th concert in Oz.
02-25-03 11:49 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Last night, talking bout last night...

Don't it make you wanna twist and shout, when you're inside-out?

-tSYX --- Well it's all right, even if the sun don't shine, well it's all right, we're going to the end of the line...
02-25-03 12:24 PM
Madafaka Thnx Woodywoodpecker!

02-25-03 04:57 PM
woodywoodpecker okay! Here we go.
Firstly got a park 5 mins from the venue. I had to meet GypsyMofo60 & FMK438 at Young & Jackson's Pub, took me about 20min walk past the Arena and could not wait to satisfy my thirsts! The guys were great! We exchanged some nice conversastions(spelling?)and some nice gifts to one another. My Wife had to pull me out of there LOL but there was somethin else I needed to attend to The Stones!!!
Another walk back to the Arena. Sat in my seat about 7.55pm
Nice View on the Right Keith's side.

Now the support band came on sometime after 8.00 and I did not know them, and they played what seemed to be forever!
The Stones were making us wait but of course it was worth it.

Around 9.30 it was Showtime as the lights dimmed I felt my heart race and a cold shiver down my back. BANG!

Start me Up- Keith flew out with The opening Riff, with a huge response from the crowd! They played with alot of energy here and I don't think the band could get this one any tighter! Brilliant.

It's only Rock n Roll- Again rock solid my eyes focusing on Charlie mainly here. I cannot believe how great he is with what looks to be half a drum kit. It was a real crowd pleaser.

If you can't Rock Me- Ronnie stomped on his wah wah pedal as if it was playing up & stuck! He soon got it sorted and tore this song to pieces.An Incredible solo which was very Loud, I knew it was going to be a night to remember"

Dont Stop- It has been said before, this song is fantastic Live! Mick sang it great & the band seems to really enjoy it. Ronnie's solo 1st (I could not hear it the same as the HBO concert) 2nd Solo- Ronnie breaks his A String, and spends the rest of the song clowning around with guitar over his head.

Rock's Off- My second time getting this song, as I saw it in 95 also. Fantastic played by all.

STICK FINGERS NIGHT!

Wild Horses- very suprised to hear this one. The song goes to Mick who sang it with passion.

Dead Flowers- again very suprised" Mick says"-Now we gonna do this Little Country Number for ya" Ronnie opted for his black ASP B Bender guitar and it was great!

Bitch- Horns sounded brill!Mick again really singing great!
Kieth playing his heart out & in full concentration mode here, & great solo!

Gimmie Shelter- Somehow for me lacked any balls and just seemed to go through the motion alittle slow, but lisa soon turned it around amazing voice.

Tumbling Dice- My fav song so nothing to say here!!

Slippin Away- Wow Keith has now got a very confident voice
and sang it great.

Before they make me run- Again Keith sounding great, as did the whole band.

Sympathy for the devil- Congo Beats (Very Loud)and although not one of my fav's, it was magic really got the crowd going.

Honky- Cannot get tighter here!

CYHMK- YES!!! I yelled as Keith starts the opening riff
Bobby was brilliant- as was Mick on the Harp! I waited in patience for Woody and let me tell ya he nearly blew the roof off here! Pure magic and Loud !! Ronnie amazes me how simple he makes things look, but boy what a solo"

Satisfaction- as explained by FMK how good he thought this song was this tour, he was not wrong. It rocked like a mudda!

B-STAGE TIME

When the Whip- Very Loud and very punky attitude played by the boy's here, something sounded very odd though, something really hissy like a slight feedback from somewhere, but still great to hear this song played.

L.A.R.S- I ate a Mars Bar during L.A.R.S, it did sound great but I wished I didnt hear it.

Brown Sugar- Man what a band Kieth loves that Riff and slashed away like a mad man wonderful.

ENCORE- JUMPIN- Again Keith ripping through what is easily
his fav number! Ronnie on the Electric Sitar here I couldnt hear it at all though.

Well there you go, I hope you enjoyed the read as much as I enjoyed the show. I had the time of my life and the boy's have not lost anything. They are a very polished unit and rock solid. It was great to hear them indoors its way more intimate you can smell those amp's and the stench of rock n roll wow! Anyone who is having second thoughts about seeing them, you will miss & regret it all your lifes.

Thankyou Stones- " Come back again- I will gladly make you Richer LOL.
02-25-03 05:16 PM
Daethgod whata show !!

got there about 4pm, hung out with some other Stoners and sniffed around the back and saw the black sedans and wagons roll in about 5. Yelled out ' have a great gig' to Bernard and caught a glimpse of Mick as he got out ut of his car.

Support band were a new Melbourne called Jet, geez they were hot. Great sound a good low key vibe on stage.

Then ShowTime !!

highlights for me... the swirling green lights just b4 the band ripped into it. Early on I thought that if Sydney was Keefs show, then Melbournes was Ronnies. He was on fire, playing like a demon.... butthen Keef hit the mic..

The most amazing, clear, concise, heratfelt version of a song Ihave ever heard. Slipping Away was just perfect !! Thankyou my man... then after acknowledging a Rocks Offer in the crowd he ripped into Before They Make Me Run.

CYHMK was insane. How long was this song ! It was like a huge Stones jam.. Bobby Keys doing his amazing sax thing, i thought he was going to pass out at the end.. then Ronnie doing his piece, then Keef absolutely riffing his heart out and Captain Mick blowing that harp.. This was farken unbelievable !!!

Aspreviously posted show 1 was teh Stick Fingers night, but hearing Rocks Off, which i think Mick played out of order ( he said something about stuffing that up .. or something)was just wicked. Me and a few other die hards were staring in disbelief as the Exile rocker was played right in front of us..

crowd was great the band was ON and I am going back tomorrow and Saturday !!!

thanks for playing guys ..

02-25-03 06:05 PM
corgi37 Oh, man, i'm drooling. Sounds like a great night. I guess tomorrows show might be have a exile of let it bleed theme. I just hope i hear CYHMK, as it sounds wicked. Good to hear us Melbourne crowds rock better than the Sydney elite. We have always been a rock city, compared to tinsel town. As i have said in a prior post, i'm going to the Depot for a beer before the show. They played Stones songs all night yesterday, so hopefully will do the same tomorrow. Then, its just a hop, skip and jump to the arena (and bliss).
02-25-03 06:09 PM
exile Sounds great
Im glad Lisa got rid of that wig
02-25-03 08:28 PM
fmk438j First off a massive thanks to gypsymofo for coming a huge length out of his way to come and poick me up from the airport. I may not even have made it into the city in time without him. We spent a great afternoon in an excellent pub talking about the stones and even rocks off. It was perfect. As woody said, we then met him and continued the good times.

Come to the rod laver and am thankfull to run into Roberto. Richard (Fox) had phoned earlier saying they were able to upgrade their gold tickets to 2nd row!!! I tried the same and got 8th, which was still graet and a nice suprise. Rod Laver arena is tiny compared to the superdome. Whereas the amp rig all hang down over the stage like a bunch of grapes at the superddome, here they were split up and hung above both front corners of the stage.

Enjoyed another good set by Jet.

Before evey show I have seen (except enmore) I have this strange feeling like I'm not ready for the show to start. I need more rest so that I have the energy to take in the show.

They come and go through the openers. I thought bitch suffered majorely (sp.) from lack of guitar sound. It's so frustrating, I can see them playing but I'm just not hearing what I feel I should be. That was really bad for me, same with this point in the last few shows, I think "what's happening, this isn't right". But each and every show this feeling is totally blown away when they start with the Gimmie shelters and others. I don't know if it is just me, or just the songs, or they change the sound half way through or what. I asked someone else what they thought about the bitch guitars but no one agreed, so make up your own mind.

Rocks off (the song) was a real suprise as was wild horses. Mick owned this own, as Woody said.

I have to say that the CYHMK intro by keith was the most dirty and raw I have heard, or can remember. Not that kinda weak sound he sometimes has done, but full-throttle just like you dream it should be. It is so tireing trying to show your appreciation throughout each show. Who knew clapping and bouncing and yelling could be such a workout?

This is my first time on the floor so I was hip to the B-stage thingy. I noticed Bjornulf make his move so I thought I should do the same. I ended up about 3 rows deep, but it was still a bonus. This security guard was picking up all these picks off the ground and throwing them back at ronnies feet. Ronnie's chucking them back saying "don't you want them?" Bit of insult, the guy should at least have been throwing them into the crowd.
There was an old lady about my grandmothers age (in about 20 years time) right up front of the barrier. Keith was standing upright with that half-squinty scan he does and shot a clean wink right at the old lady. Later during a great brown Sugar (so great for the Bstage, although I dream of mannish boy one day) this chick about 17 or 18 behind me is screaming when mick is wiggling our way. I turn round and she has her hands clasped over her mouth looking like she was about to *wet* herself. That was cool!

I am always left exhausted after the show. Maybe I am too unfit, or that it's just too intense because I'm trying to absorb so much for so long.

I met back up with Richard and Roberto and others and went to the nice pub. Just by chance they get talking to a new zealander because he had the shephards bush shirt on. We eventually introduce ourselves and I'm amazed to realise this guy I have traded with recently and that he is with mottrush sho is just as few tables down. That was freaky and good.

Richard got specially given a setlist and a pick by a roadie while the b-stage played that night (he also got enmore setlist last week). To my amazement he gave up one of his picks to me! This from a guy I have only met 8 days ago and he gives up a piece of gold. I was humbled. I don't know how to thank him but somehow I will repay the favour.

Tonight we are going to see Jet at a bar, but maybe the stones will play somewhere so have to keep my eyes and ears open.

02-25-03 10:07 PM
LadyJane FMK, you continue to provide us with a true fan's perspective.

Thanks!

LadyJ.
02-25-03 11:00 PM
woodywoodpecker Am I not a true fan LadyJ????
02-25-03 11:01 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Mini

Getting bigger...

Getting bigger and bigger!!! So big that I can post it

So click this link and it will open in a new window:

http://www.albec.net.mx/personales/rocksoff/h3-rod-laver-original.jpg

And check this in full size, scanned by Woodywoodpecker for us to enjoy! Thanks Woodywood

02-26-03 12:05 AM
CS Stones keep on rollin'
By NUI TE KOHA
26feb03

AFTER an eventful week of pro-drugs chatter and tasteless restaurant encounters, the Rolling Stones got back to business last night.

Thankfully, that business - the art of rock `n' roll - is a concern the Stones have either sparked, influenced or dominated in their 40-year lifespan.
Their performance at a filled Rod Laver Arena was a reminder of this.

The premise of 40 Licks always promised greatness: classics and obscurities in surrounds comparatively smaller than stadium shows of the past.

Consequently, their opening shot, Start Me Up, cranked into action by a certified Keith Richards riff, preceded a Deeper Cuts set borrowing heavily from Exile On Main Street and Sticky Fingers.

Already, the difference between 40 Licks and the slick, but distant 1995 Voodoo Lounge tour was obvious. Last night, the Rolling Stones played with a vitality and urgency that had little to do with the special effects around them, but rather the spirit of the material inside them.

Up close and personal, frontman Mick Jagger's leering vocal and unrepentant strut - rag doll, cat-like manoeuvring with a hint of Chicken Tonight - was as potent as ever.

Wiry, angular, and still pulling the best poses in rock, Richards, 59, played guitar hero to the core. His raw signature blasts over Satisfaction and Jumping Jack Flash remain defining moments.

Drummer Charlie Watts, 61, and bassist Darryl Jones, the band's so-called engine room, nailed their parts, especially across the muscular and insistent Bitch and Sympathy for the Devil.

The real treat, however, is guitarist Ronnie Wood's re-emergence as a force in the Rolling Stones. Fit, fresh and revitalised after treatment for alcohol abuse, Wood traded riffs with Richards while keeping his own identity, particularly on the standout Can't You Hear Me Knocking?. Jagger, 59, is said to have told Wood to get sober or he would not survive the tour.

Wood, 55, has re-surfaced as a subtle but effective scene-stealer.

A so-called b-stage, a secondary pod connected to the main stage by a catwalk, provided a back-to-basics forum where the Stones aimed to revisit the feel of the 1960s club shows.

Here, to the delight of front-row fans, all within easy reach of their heroes, the songs When the Whip Comes Down and Brown Sugar were performed with style.

40 Licks is a tall order delivered as the world's greatest rock and roll band should deliver it: faultlessly.

The Rolling Stones will perform again at Rod Laver Arena tomorrow and on Saturday.
02-26-03 12:26 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl More pix from today's show, all � 2003 Ros O'Gorman

02-26-03 01:39 AM
gypsymofo60 Another perspective: A fine warm& sunny Melbourne day. One of the big ones; it's the 25th Feb. 2003, and tonight The Rolling Stones're in town. Now in Australia, that's like,"Oh! did you hear? God's in town for a couple a gigs at Rod Laver."....My day starts fairly ordinarily, a trip to my dealer,(Dr. wazzzisname), a quick bell to Fmk438j in Sydney, pay a few bills, and by 1300 hrs I'm zipping down The South Eastern FWY to the mellow sounds of some very early, earthy Muddy Waters. I like make at least a dozen trips a year to Melbourne airport, but today- I take a wrong turn due to preoccupation. FUCK!!!!!!!!! Melbourne's like a fucking catepillar! It metamorphosizes into something totaly different every two years..........Now I'm lost and running late. Muddy's starting to irritate me, I'm hot, I'm thirsty, and my back is killing me. Stay cool boy!(Imagining how Keef would tell himself)..........OK! I'm on the right track, I've sussed it right, and Muddy's blues are ringing true again. A half hour later, I'm at the arrival section,(domestic), not my territory, looking out for someone I've never met. Virgin Flight 828 lands, and as weary passengers, burdened with the woes of the world disembark I'm left thinking; why is it that the people I meet at airports always choose the tail section? I'm a wing man myself!......Then he appears! and I have to say in all honesty, during the course of the next few hours I found Fmk438j to be one of the nicest, and most pleasant persons I have ever had the pleasure to spend an afternoon/evening with. After making our way to the carpark, and into the car, he suddenly produces what mistakenly take for The Eifel Tower,....boots!!!! Well! you shoulda seen 'em all. These are for you & Woody he says, as though he's offering me a ciggy. You don't need to thank me for a lift Fmk, I think you've like given me all up over a hundred boots......Later at what USED TO BE...a nice quiet place to meet, and enjoy a few bevvies..."WE SHOUTED OUR WAY THROUGH THE STONESIESD AFTERNOON EVER. I'M SORRY ABOUT THE SHOUTING, BUT THE MUSIC WAS VERY LOUD...Suddenly MR.Wood arrives, no not Ron, Woodywoodpecker, guitarist/singer/artist/all around nice guy extrodinaire. Guess what? More boots!....Now I'm being spoiled. His entourage were all very nice, especially the lovely lady with the long dark hair, what was her name again Woody?.....Sadly, all good things come to an end. Woody and his crew departed, my gut wrenched!....Then myself Fmk, a friend I had not seen for 19 years walked to Rod Laver Arena,(nice walk, doing Keith impressions for all the passerby.)But here we parted, for this was not my night. Can you imagine my pain? I shook Fmk's hand, and said "have a great concert, and see ya Saturday."......For I did not possess a ticket for last night...alas! Such is life. Adieu!
02-26-03 02:10 AM
woodywoodpecker Great review Gypsy "The day in the life" You guys where a blast and a pitty we did not have more time to talk. I really hope you enjoy saturday's performance, oh I mean I know you will! I played guitar all day today, so im betting this band thang will be high on your list after saturday's performance.

Thanks Mr. Vocalist Extrodinaire!

Cheers Woody
02-26-03 03:58 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
woodywoodpecker wrote:
Great review Gypsy "The day in the life" You guys where a blast and a pitty we did not have more time to talk. I really hope you enjoy saturday's performance, oh I mean I know you will! I played guitar all day today, so im betting this band thang will be high on your list after saturday's performance.

Thanks Mr. Vocalist Extrodinaire!

Cheers Woody

Just another view from the other side. It was great to meet you both, plus Stephen whom , as I said I had not seen for 19 years. It certainly was a pity we couldn't have spent longer talking music, but I'm sure we will get another opppurtunity soon. Yes, the band thang sounds good, I must say! Hope you enjoyed the gig, as I say, I think that will be it for Australia now. Thanks again for the CDs! By the way, buy this months 'Rolling Stone' magazine. Mick and Keith on the cover 1978 shot, great Keith interview. Who's the girl in the long dark hair??????
02-26-03 06:18 AM
LadyJane WoodyW, Gypsymofo and FMK--Glad to hear you are all having such a great time! We knew you would and are grateful to you for sharing your experiences with us!!

LadyJ.

PS.Thanks for the Mick pic, Mr. Woody. You most certainly are a true fan
[Edited by LadyJane]
02-26-03 06:47 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
WoodyW, Gypsymofo and FMK--Glad to hear you are all having such a great time! We knew you would and are grateful to you for sharing your experiences with us!!

LadyJ.

PS.Thanks for the Mick pic, Mr. Woody. You most certainly are a true fan
[Edited by LadyJane]

Sweet Lady Jane, we are enjoying telling all and sundry of our Stonsey Indian Summer, and you may rest assured, "It aint over yet baby!"........Roll on Saturday Night.
02-26-03 08:02 AM
sirfito I'm back!
Thank you for the info and all the pictures!
Best,
Fito
02-26-03 09:01 AM
nankerphelge Awesome reviews!
Half a world away and I feel it!

I'm so envious.
Mick and Keith sporting a sinister look!
The show sounds like it was great -- the pre-parties sound like they were exactly what they should be.

Keep up the great coverage!
02-26-03 09:17 AM
moy now some pix from the official website by anthony mathilde

02-26-03 09:30 AM
luxury1 Keith really looks into it. Is it JJF??
02-26-03 01:23 PM
Martha

<-------------Oh Yeah....I'm INTO it baby!

Great reviews and fabulous pics thanks everyone!!!!

I love the Keef photos especially. The man is playing his heart out night after night...Hallelujah!!!!!!!!

Right on Keef, Right On Keef, Right ON Keef!!!!!!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST