ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rolling Stones 40x20 third stop starts today
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sydney SuperDome Feb 22 setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-22-03 07:36 AM
Stonesdoug Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
You Can't Always Get WHat You Want
Sweet Virginia
All Down the Line
Tumbling Dice

The Worst
Happy

Sympathy for th Devil
Midnight Rambler
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk WOmen
Satisfaction

IORR
Lake A Rolling Stone
Brown Sugar

Jumping Jack Flash
02-22-03 08:53 AM
Madafaka Thw Worst and Happy! Wow! I love both of them!
Thank you for the info
02-22-03 09:34 AM
LadyJane A review from IORR.ORG

This was the knife sharp Keith Richards show. He owned the show from start to finish. More soon...

22-feb-2003 - 11:55pm
IORR/Bj�rnulf

-----

The warm-up band Jet played from 8:05pm to 8:50pm. I had plans for seing their entire performance tonight, as I had given up on them last night, due to the terrible acoustics. But then I decided their Enmore performance was the one I wanted to have as a memory, so I left them playing the duo acoustic bit in the opening, and went to chat with friends instead. Also, the real reason why I left my seat was that everybody around me were talking while Jet was on. Having an acoustic duo with everybody talking around me is not really my kind of thing...

Being in the catering areas of the arena 10 minutes before the Stones are on is really nerve-wrecking. In one way I don't want to take my seat early. In another way I don't want to end up missing the first minutes of the opening song because I am just running late... But I was in my seat by 9:10, and ready as always. Ten minutes or so later Keith took stage.

The sound was crisp and clear. Keith's guitar just cut into the venue like a sharp knife. "Street Fighting Man" is the opening song that makes it clear who Keith Richards is, THE guitar player.

Don't Stop was great fun and a very good version. Mick was up front playing his guitar, while Ronnie and Keith were back-to-back just behind him, making their own guitar pair.

Again "You Can't Always Can't What You Want" was the one that make the crowd sing and dance, like with the previous SuperDome shows two days ago.

Then the "Exile" set - "Sweet Virginia" was so sweet, "All Down The Line" was so fast, and "Tumbling Dice" had finally found it's place in the set, with it's companion songs.

Mick was running through the introductions like he had a train to catch. Keith tried to dress up with his green and blue jacket and shirt, but had to take stage all the time to join in with the presentations.

Then it was Keith on his own. The Worst. Great song. But it was over all to soon. Keith had been throwing picks all through the show. But now he had decided this pick was for a special fan. He walked up front stage, leaned down, and handed over his pick gently to the girl in front of me. I know how it feels like, because I have been handed a pick by Keith myself. He don't just throw it at you; some times he hands it over to you, and close your hand, as he is giving you the look that is saying this is for you only. The girl, whom I just had shoke hands with before the show, was so touched by Keith and the moment, I don't think she got into the next song until it was half way through. Indeed Keith is touching us all...

Happy was next. Then it went dark, and Mick was back on "Sympathy". "Midnight Rambler" was great from start to finish. I knew it meant we could not have "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" tonight, but we can't have both.

The rest was just rock'n'roll. Mick had been wearing his blue tongue "Sydney" shirt through the 2nd half of the show, but the Sydney crowd was still shy. As they arrived on the small stage, security had to demand the fans to come closer to the B-stage, so that we could have the real club feel. Normally there is a rush...

By the time "Jumping Jack Flash" was on as the encore, people were all over the place. Security tried to sort out where people were supposed to be, but it was packed everywhere.

It was Keith on lead all through this show, but for sure Ronnie did his parts too. Also, in a couple of rare moments, like during Don't Stop, Mick did actually make eye contact with us, as he noticed the "California" "Stones" license place held up in the front row. They all loved it, and so did we.

SECURITY HAD TO DEMAND THE FANS COME CLOSER TO THE B STAGE!! WTF?? I find this completely unbelievable. Certainly there were no Rocks Off members in attendance!!

LadyJ.
02-22-03 10:07 AM
Angiegirl O man, The Worst is very cool. A Keith-show is also very cool, lol.
02-22-03 10:25 AM
fmk438j I was on Keith's side on the very last row, back to the wall!! To take some photos I tried putting the end of my camera lense on one side of my binoculars. It is impossible to keep the things still for the long shutter-speeds needed in the low light so they are all blurry.

A couple are kinda worth a look though.

Micks moves on the b-stage
http://www.pbase.com/image/13409642

Wide shot of crowd and b-stage
http://www.pbase.com/image/13409916

keith and dazza
http://www.pbase.com/image/13410162

wide shot of main stage and crowd
http://www.pbase.com/image/13410570

Keith and ronnie's bums on the b-stage
http://www.pbase.com/image/13410718

02-22-03 11:31 AM
Angiegirl That stadium overview (...13409916) is very cool, with the red lights and all!!! It looks very steep also, or maybe it's just me. Good excuse if you accidently tumble onto the (B-)stage: "Excuse me, I leaned forward an inch..."
02-22-03 11:34 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Nice setlist; The Worst is great indeed.
To bad they did not play Highwire..;-)
02-22-03 12:06 PM
Martha

<---------------Absolutely THE Man!
02-22-03 12:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Hey, this is SIA and fmk438j, very nice tees

02-22-03 12:50 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
That stadium overview (...13409916) is very cool, with the red lights and all!!! It looks very steep also, or maybe it's just me. Good excuse if you accidently tumble onto the (B-)stage: "Excuse me, I leaned forward an inch..."

02-22-03 03:22 PM
Boomhauer It's an OK setlist...just the typical kind.

Although I do like the Exile choice.
02-22-03 03:56 PM
luxury1 MIck's shirt says Sydney??
02-22-03 05:09 PM
woodywoodpecker keef on lead the whole show" Not Good"

No CYHMK DAMN!

02-22-03 05:48 PM
Gazza just 19 songs??

looks like the shows are once again getting shorter once they leave the US!!
02-22-03 07:01 PM
fmk438j Got there at 5:30 this time. The superdome itself didn't open until six. Got in and walked around. I had a cold so was not drinking tonight, and saved myself lots of cash too.

Met up with the various crew in the foyer. Got to meet and talk to Bjornulf which I had really wanted to do. Such a cool guy. I'm so happy that everyone i meet seems so easy-going and friendly, haven't met one person who isn't happy to have a chat and a laugh.

Went in and found my seat as soon as I could. I was right to Keith's left and on the very last row - no-one behind. Could not see the screen. The sound wasn't great but was good enough. I haven't heard anything of Jet's studio stuff (they have one EP only which is rare and selling for ~$US29), but judging just by their sets the last few nights everyone should check them out. Very un-pretentious and no attitude which is refreshing.

The crowd was noticebly quiter tonight - no mexican waves, and took a long time to file in. Stones start and there is not a great response. For me the show felt like it was in two parts. The first part of the show the crowd was very quiet. Mick said as much when he commented something about us being "shy", and maybe we would not be so shy later on.

YCAGWYW got a similarly big ovation as it did two nights before.

Mick had introduced Keith as "the Salvation Army's favourite". When the roadie brought that slide thing for the worst, ronnie was doing big getsures as to say "What in the hell is this?", "How do I play this thing?" But he was great on it.

Place was very subdued until happy I thought, I guess it's hard to tell because I had such a bad seat, but generally i think that is true.

Slowly things started to change and the crowd felt more alive during an absolutely smoking Midnight Rambler. Mick was going back and forth to the drinks table to get tissues and blowing his nose. Must still be that cold. Maybe this is part of the reason for the smaller sets? Would be good if it was, because by next week he may be free of it. Ronnie was in animated conversation with daryl throughout the song, have no idea what he was on about. If I had to choose between CYHMK and Rambler I would choose the later everytime.

Next was Gimmie shelter. Keith did a weird thing and sat down on Charlie's platform (what do you call that thing? podium?) and stayed there until the first "just a shot a way"s. Very odd to see this but maybe the extra concentration helped because it was a great performance. This song finished so beautifully, I took it as being much more together than the previous show.

Satisfaction was a screamer. Don't know how but this just gets more solid and meaner everytime. Keith was wearing a skull and cross-bones tank top by now.

I was annoyed to see a guy in row 2 (from front) standing with his arms crossed, dead-pan expression on his face. I'm sure everyone has seen similar and you know the feeling. But on the other hand there were a few old guys right up at altitude with me who were standing and clapping and having the time of their lives.

02-22-03 08:06 PM
littleredrooster That guy in the second row was probably recording the show!!
02-22-03 08:35 PM
stonedinaustralia well i write this to you straight up on the morning after the saturday show - which was excellent - i had a ticket for a seat - but i never sat in it - i sat down on the steps of the aisle when i did sit

the place was full of tourists and it felt weird walking amongst then knowing i had been one of the chosen few on tuesday night and i refelected on that - in my review of the enmore i said it was like '65 all over again - but now i'd say seeing the enmore was almost like being a party to the mood and the feel of the ealing jazz and blues club or something - sorry to rave but that show took us to the heart and soul of the band - it won't be very often that the stones will pump out such a wild and truly dangerous sounding version of midnight rambler (or any song for that matter) at any of the big auditorium shows

but last night was a great performance - as i was to one side and quite a way away i only had the P.A. mix - and the band sounded excellent - you can hear everybody and all played well -

you can't help but be impressed by the band - they have to work a lot of space at these big shows and they work every inch of it

it's a long story but i had a pass to the VIP area - which essentially meant free beer - which was blessing as the queue for drinks was long and slow

as for the crowd having to be urged to rush the stage - well it almost doesn't surprise me -for the most part the crowd at these shows really don't care one way or the other - we here at rocks off and the other boards have a warped view of things in a way - we are the true believers - the soul survivors - and it maybe the death of us all

the show last night gave me some respect for blondie - - he played a lot more guitar last night then he did at the enmore - although he just strums out the chords on an acoustic he provides a nice bed of sound and a point of reference for ronnie and keith to look to while they do their thing - which, when it comes to playing a house the size of the superdome, involves so much more than just the music - it is a performance as much theatrical as it is musical but both ronnie and keith played great and any one says that either of them can't cut it any more really doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about - the guitar sounds are heavily "treated" in the mix (i.e. it's no "raw" sound" lots of reverb and what not added on) and are equalized to death to make it it sound all sound soft smooth and "non- abrasive" or not rock and roll if you ask me

chuck was not too loud but you can certainly hear him - and so you should piano - is an intgeral part of the stones sound

great touch at the end of JJF when ronnie banged his guitar down onto the stage

these stadium shows are very much "entertainment" on a grand scale and the stones are old troupers - they delivered

can't wait to hear the boots of this and the enmore show - are the available yet??

for most of the audience the stones are just a small part of their lives - they don't look at the band in the same way we do here

now i am feeling a kind of (no - not a kind of - it's real) depression come over me - the band has gone for me now - i doubt i will see them again - i might - but i doubt it - kind of like some "post-coital tristesse" if you know what i mean - after feeling so high there is only one way to go but i;ll survive it and be all th estronger for it (thanx keith!! - that was great!!)

it's over for me now - i have had my stones experience and the enmore show was the peak experience that ANY stones fan could ask for - i could say i was lucky or blessed (and in a way i was both) - but it is more than that - i was there because i had put in a lot of hard yards for this band and my love for them has been steadfast and true and despite the fact that the base feeling of the stones is hard, flinty and uncaring i was ultimately rewarded

like the rest of you here my emotional investment in the band is extremely heavy - as nasty habits once put it - when it comes to making decisions either musical or indeed from an entire life point of view i have always relied upon the stones to show me where true north is - i still do and will probably always will do (for good or ill) - but i have new life to lead now - one where i no longer have a dream to live for 'cos "all my dreams came true" and if i'm down on my luck and i can't harmonize, well, i won't mind because i have been to the mountain top and i have seen the promised land

and i am confronted with the dilemma that i feared i would have to face - i have had my stones experience - and it was the peak experience of my life - so where to from here?? - well i guess that's my problem and i apologise that this post is as much about my response to the stones as it is about the band themselves

but on a personal note to you all it's been over two years now that i've been posting and reading on this board - i was, in the end, just glad that i could contribute something that was at least the equal of all the great things i've read here

i love you guys
02-22-03 10:16 PM
corgi37 SIA, good post. I am hoping the Melbourne crowds show more respect, and actually elicit a better response for the band. Maybe thats another reason why there was only 19 songs. If the audience dont fire up the stones, why should the stones fire up the audience? Mick has often stated he feeds off the energy of the crowd. Oh, i just checked my tickets for the 1,000th time and i am not in the 7th row, i am in the 8th! What a dumb prick i am. I hope Keith or Ronnies picks can fly that far. I also know what you mean about the depression, SIA. I felt it in 95. For some strange reason, i guess after waiting so long to see them, i had a bizarre feeling that i wanted the show to end quickly. I dont know why i felt that. Then, when the jjflash finale started, and me and a mate where crying and going ballistic, i didnt want the show to ever end. What an odd bastard i am. This time, i am primed. Not only have i got top seats, but all the hype in the papers and tv and brought my stones lust to a frenzy. Wifey and i nearly came to blows last week. She threatened to not go to the show, but quickly withdrew when i suggested i might take the 17 year old baby sitter instead. As i write, this last episode of the doco was on foxtel. My step kids are getting so sick of it all, but my 7 1/2 month babies love the music. My boy was laughing his head of as we did the yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo! part of brown sugar.
02-22-03 11:29 PM
Nasty Habits You know, I have Rolling Stones concert dreams all the time. It's usually some weird or off kilter show, like some amazing appearance at a county fair, or some mad general admission stadium show, something really unique. My dreams are always tied up in getting there, standing in line, fighting for tickets, waiting for the band. Almost every time I have one of these dreams, I wake up or it stops before the band starts to play. For six months after the Tower show, those dreams completely stopped. Lately I've noticed them starting up again. You may feel something has been sated within you that may never return at the moment, but believe me, you ain't goin' nowhere, as that other big guy on the road in Australia likes to say.

Glad you had fun -- sounds pretty major -- the Keith high-five and the guitar pick certainly trump anything in my Stonesgoingexperience. Well reported and well played, SIA.

You know, a pretty wise cat you chatted up on the train said it pretty good --

"Rock and roll may not be revolution but it's what I want to hear! Nah nah nah nah Rock and roll."

Don'tcha think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

02-23-03 12:03 AM
Daethgod hey corgi

what seat you in (8th row)

Im in 7th row for Thurs

02-23-03 12:20 AM
midnightmagic Wow- you guys are heavy duty! I dig it.
02-23-03 06:24 AM
luxury1 SIA!! If you truly feel that the Stones are such a large part of your life, then this MUST NOT be your last time seeing them, no?? Well, regardless, (I never feel like it is my last time)here's hoping for some new material soon, to keep our fires stoked. Thanks for all your posts and photos from Aussie land. This board is so great.
02-23-03 07:09 AM
Moonisup SIA, I respect you! Great review, We all love the stones here, and I think for most of us it's a big part of our lives, and seing them on stage, it's just like well icing on the cake, it's the feeling, emotion, the waiting is over, but well hahahaha The shows are too short! I don't think when I'll see them over here, that I'll remember everything that clearly! hahaa the memories hahaa I feel so old now
02-23-03 07:54 AM
Monkey Woman Thank you fmk and SIA for sharing your Stones experience! You make us feel like we were there, at least in spirit!

P.S. Love your new avatar, Luxury!
02-23-03 08:40 AM
CS Thank you guys!!

Long time ago we used to read reviews from the press like this... with 5 B stage songs and Brown Sugar from Tattoo You released in 1971 LOL, Is "Lake" a Rolling Stone? However not that bad the stats they are presenting, take a look

http://www.undercover.com.au/20030223_rollingstones.html

The Stones Australian Setlist Tally The Stones performed their 3rd Australian show at the Sydney Superdome on Saturday night and once again introduced more songs into the set.

To date the Stone have performed 36 songs on the tour with the only common denominators appearing at each show being 'Tumbling Dice', 'Start Me Up', 'Honky Tonk Women', 'It's Only Rock and Roll', 'Brown Sugar' and 'Satisfaction'.

The most featured album so far is Let It Bleed with 5 songs appearing in the set over the last three shows. Exile On Main Street and Sticky Fingers each have 4 songs, Voodoo Lounge and Beggars Banquet have 3, and there are 2 from It's Only Rock and Roll, Some Girls and Tattoo You.

Completely overlooked so far on the tour is anything from Goat's Head Soup, Black and Blue, Emotional Rescue, Undercover and Dirty Work.

Stones long term fans won't complain from the ear they are sourcing from either. One third of the songs are from the 70's, 27% from the 60's, 11% from the 80's, 11% from the 90s and just one new song for the 00's, last years 'Don't Stop'.

Here is the setlist from last night at the Sydney Superdome:

Street Fighting Man (Beggars Banquet 1968)
Start Me Up (Tattoo You 1981)
If You Can't Rock Me (It's Only Rock and Roll 1974)
Don't Stop (Forty Licks 2002)
You Can't Always Get What You Want (Let It Bleed 1969)
Sweet Virginia (Exile On Main Street 1972)
All Down the Line (Exile On Main Street 1972)
Tumbling Dice (Exile On Main Street (1972)
The Worst (Keith on vocals) (Voodoo Lounge 1994)
Happy (Keith on vocals) (Exile On Main Street 1972)

B Stage
Sympathy for the Devil (Beggars Banquet 1968)
Midnight Rambler (Let It Bleed 1969)
Gimme Shelter (Let It Bleed 1969)
Honky Tonk Women (single 1969)
Satisfaction (single 1965)

It's Only Rock and Roll (It's Only Rock and Roll 1974)
Lake A Rolling Stone (Stripped 1995)
Brown Sugar (Tattoo You 1971)

Jumping Jack Flash (single 1968)

02-23-03 08:41 AM
CS The "Lake" typo was in Stonesdoug setlist as they took the setlist from him!
02-23-03 11:46 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Thank you fmk and SIA for sharing your Stones experience! You make us feel like we were there, at least in spirit!

Three cheers for fmk and SIA!! You guys painted the picture for us beautifully.

I know our Melbourne friends, like corgi and Daethgod won't let us down!

Hope our Aussie Brothers and Sisters know how much they have eased the pain felt by many North Americans as the Stones left the States and Canada. We really appreciate your reviews and photos!!

Too bad the world cannot band together like we here at Rocks Off do for the Rolling Stones!!

LadyJ.
02-23-03 01:06 PM
sandrew Man, they're down to 19-song sets? Long way from the 25-28 of the Steel Wheels tour.
02-23-03 07:29 PM
Boomhauer Damn!! You're right...

And with the ticket prices, you'd think they'd play more.

I still think they have a lot of energy, but it doesn't seem like they can get more than 21 or 22 in.

Maybe it's because of songs like Knockin' and MR?
02-23-03 08:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Another review posted at the board is here http://novogate.com/board/968/142496-1.html
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST