ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rolling Stones 40x20 third stop starts today
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Enmore setlist, pix and reviews P1 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
02-19-03 09:09 AM
parmeda
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
The guitars are great via AC/DC, but the vocals never did anything for me - neither did a lot of the songs. I never really got into them. But hey, four great rock'n'roll guitarists on "Rock Me Baby"? Damn, I'll drink to that.

-tSYX --- We onna hiiiighhhway to hell...

Xyzzy....may I suggest some HIGH VOLTAGE for you this morning? LOL!
(I'm gonna get you to love these guys, one way or another...)

And oh, one last thing! If they decide to go on tour, GET A TICKET...we'll compare notes afterwards
02-19-03 09:40 AM
nankerphelge Absolutely -- until you see Angus live, loud, and in knickers, you can't fully appreciate how much these boys ROCK -- whether you like 'em or not -- they ain't lip syncin', they ain't playin' no ballads, and they ain't dancin' around like a buncha Kansas City faggots!!

02-19-03 10:12 AM
Tom Download the video http://www.acdc-videos.com/clic.php?url=http://www.acdc-videos.com/videos/RockMeBaby-Sydney2003.zip
02-19-03 10:19 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl More pix

This is Exile's sister (Kate), who sent me those pix

Exile, Exile's sister, Dad, and the rest of the gang

Skye and Dad

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
02-19-03 12:18 PM
sirmoonie Whoah....posers?!?! You may not like them, but fidelity and roots is where those guys is at. Posers?? WTF? Maybe you really are 17 Savziexozzyx.

Nothing but 70s style hard rocking bar blooze from AC/DC since day one. Angus Young is a mondo-sized riff monster of epicurean proportions. That boy is looking very large!

Turn it up!
02-19-03 01:20 PM
rabact i'd give anything to see the young bros on stage with the stones, for ages i took the first acdc as a sort of continuation of the stones, then i had to drop them 'cuase johnson's voice, though not bad, hits my nerves. don't tell anybody but in my past i even fancied keith singin higway to hell, i totally different way of course.
02-19-03 03:37 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy It's the vocals, Moonie. Not quite as bad as Axl Rose's mind-numbing screech, but still not my favorite. The only person who ever got away with screeching that I enjoyed was Robert Plant, and even then only about 50% of the time... "The Immigrant Song"? Sure, great riff, but... umm... Yes, I too can play octaves and screech about Vikings for two-and-a-half minutes.

-tSYX --- We come from the land of the ice and snow...
02-19-03 05:36 PM
~AzQb

Young Savage One!

I'm feelin ya, baby. The YoungBrothers may have a truly nasty occasional steeped in twelve bar weave, but Brian Johnson is hardly ear loving, sans "Back in Black". Bon Scott's shoes may have been a little tootiny for im.RoTfL~ Anyway,i much prefer the true wackhard occasional weave of Halford era Priest. Glenn Tipton and KK Downing have been around as long as the Youngs and have perfected axe hard seaming surpassing Angus and Malcolm, in all truth. They just don't write the likes of"You Shook Me" for mass fourteen year old consumption.

Posers? Nah. AC/DC have earned their respect.They are indeed the genuine downunder article, it's just a listening waste on most records due to the Scott/Johnson MoneyScreech.Ow.

But KK and Tipton are better at "the weave", even though their choice of vocalists have hardly tasted any sweeter!

Anyway, thanks to StonedInAustralia for the pictures and eagerly awaiting his review!

~RoTfLmAo~!

AC/DC
02-19-03 06:22 PM
LadyJane Nothing like seeing our Aussie friends partying their asses off to take away the pangs of Stones withdrawal! Great photos everyone! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

LadyJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
02-19-03 06:38 PM
fmk438j I was talking to a US fan at the gathering last night and I asked how it compared to the other club shows. She said no. 2 after roseland. I said wow.
02-19-03 07:10 PM
CS Based on the setlist and the guests, Enmore was the best club gig.

I have Roseland and it's great, but to start a show with Midnight Rambler and having Rock Me baby with the Youngs make this the best IMHO
02-19-03 07:38 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Just saw the video... man!

Four guitars, Ronnie forming a hop-line, and Chuck's clunking noise exactly where it belonged in the mix!

Hope they keep *that* soundboard!

-tSYX --- Rock me baby...
02-19-03 08:29 PM
fmk438j Early in the show Mick said something like "A hello to any ex-lovers in the audience". I didn't realise it at the time but this was directed at marianne, and on the news last night they said it brought her to tears.

Hearing this nearly brought me to tears.

Parts of TD and no expectations were also on the news, but the audio was terrible. Very thin, couldn't hear much except mick.
[Edited by fmk438j]
02-19-03 08:41 PM
LadyJane
quote:
fmk438j wrote:
Early in the show Mick said something like "A hello to any ex-lovers in the audience". I didn't realise it at the time but this was directed at marianne, and on the news last night they said it brought her to tears.

Hearing this nearly brought me to tears.

Wow!! If this is true, it's very touching!! I'd love to see Mick and Marianne on friendly terms after all these years! They have too much history to be enemies!!

FMK, you just keep bringing us great info!! Rock on, young lad!

LadyJ.
02-19-03 11:42 PM
rocker1 Remember the good ole days when Keith used to play like Malcolm does in the Rock Me Baby vid? Nice to hear an actual rhythm guitar in the Stones again.
02-20-03 04:29 AM
Moonisup ohhhh my father likes this alot, he's also a big AC/DC fan!!

WHOLEEEEEEEEEEEEE lotaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaROSie

I liked the first singer better though,
02-20-03 04:57 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Damn, how much better could it get...

not much

i'm still here...finding it difficult to get the access to post

will try to get something in soon & i have more pics

they're on again tonight - i should make it to saturady

itws my el macmbo

met stonesjuno and others from shidoobee last night
02-20-03 06:25 AM
lotsajizz [quote]steel driving hammer wrote:
AC/DC? Nice.
But joining them for Rock Me Baby seemed cool.
Except for Ride On, when did AC/DC attempt the Blues?
Actually Ride On is not even Blues, it's just a slow song.

dumb drunk
02-20-03 09:47 AM
justforyou
quote:

dumb drunk

Cool vibes jizzman, go play with yourself somewhere else..
02-20-03 09:55 AM
justforyou Totally cool guests for the Enmore show...yeah!...Malcolm another master riffer, and how brilliant it was of rsfc.com to put this video up so soon
02-20-03 12:28 PM
Maxlugar Today, we are ALL Australians.

Word to your Maxy!
(Laugh track w/ standing "O")

MACKY!!!
02-20-03 05:27 PM
Joey " Today, we are ALL Australians. "

<------ Or NewZealanders ( Sic )

Word to Your Jacky !

Bob Jacky !

02-20-03 07:28 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
fmk438j wrote:
The dude in the front was in a zone.

fmk438j,
In a zone? What does that mean?
He's a friend of mine, Richard, from New-Zealand. He called me this morning live and I heared Tumbling Dice!!
02-20-03 07:48 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

fmk438j,
In a zone? What does that mean?
He's a friend of mine, Richard, from New-Zealand. He called me this morning live and I heared Tumbling Dice!!

angie i have been seeing a bit of Richard over the last few days - i'll drop your name next time i see him - there's been a formation of some good friendships over the past days

the zone thing - will richard is certainly a dedicated man and he is totally into the band as his steely look tells - also there was the whole "gate 7" fiasco thing going on at th etime- which fmk mentioned in his review

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
02-20-03 07:54 PM
Angiegirl Cool! Yeah, I can imagine the friendships flowing over there! I wish I could be there with you guys, Richard (I call him Kiwi and he calles me Frau Angie), Marco, Roberto (both from Holland). They phone me and I get update emails...very cool.
Give him my best when you see him!
02-20-03 08:12 PM
fmk438j
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Cool! Yeah, I can imagine the friendships flowing over there! I wish I could be there with you guys, Richard (I call him Kiwi and he calles me Frau Angie), Marco, Roberto (both from Holland). They phone me and I get update emails...very cool.
Give him my best when you see him!

Yes I have been meeting richard everyday from Monday and before that I knew him from downunderstones. I said he was in a zone meaning he was just so psyched that he was in another world. It was very stressfull at that point and tensions were high.

Richard was in the front row with Roberto at the superdome last night, and another dutch guy whome I met the night before but who's name I forget (not marko).

02-20-03 08:14 PM
Angiegirl Very funny to 'follow' them via the Net, LOL!!! I really want to be Down-Under right now, *sigh*...
I laughed my ass off when I saw Richards pic on RS.com, that look on his face!!! I remember the same look when we were in line for Shepherds Bush (although I was just before him, hehe!!).
02-20-03 09:19 PM
stonedinaustralia i wanted to wait til the week was over before i put this down but it can't wait anylonger - it might be a more polished if i waitbut with each passing hour the immediacy is slipping away...so here goes

where to begin (and end) .... perhaps it started the night before - i got from the city to my digs in the inner north suburbs and went to ring a friend and dialled the number i thought was his written on a card in my pocket...but it was fmk's number - said he was getting there early and i said i would see him down there - next moring about 11.00 he rang to say there was only a half a dozen or so pepole in the line...

so myself and my mate johnny (my guest amd fellow stones nut) arrived about 12.30... (note to nasty habits - nasty you won't believe it but waiting on the platform at town hall station for the tain to the gig i ran into steve lucas and had a good chat with him on the way out to newtown whereat is the enmore)the day passsed quickly enough... and the line was cool enough that you could leave to get a bite and have a pipe and still return to your position

so i finally get my spot - the dream position - not just the keith side but keith true north and right next to the catwalk - the stage was less than two arms lengths way...

more standing and waiting....support band comes and goes... old blues,r & b and reggae tracks play over the p.a....finally lights go down and then the next thing i knew the band bursts onto the stage at the same time that keith hits the intro riff to "midnight rambler" - honestly folks this was the peak and i went into some sort of psychological/emotional meltdown - not only were they there - 6 feet in font of me - but they were playing that song for openers...and the music!!!...it was fantastic - it was a wild anarchic version - keith was playing some totally "out there" stuff but at the same time drawing down deeply into blues that is at the root of the tune - doing all those things i'd hoped he'd do - taking risks all over the place - anyone who says the band just trots out predictable versions of the "hot rocks" had best hear this and think again...

and for them to open with that tune??!!..what are the odds of that!!...it was almost too much, almost

then followed "tumbling dice" ...my favourite tune.... to nit pick i feel these days they play it too early, too fast and too short - but it was till the sweetest thing.. instead of taking an extended ad - lib to work up the deep soul feel over the outro as in 73 - 75 jagger was able to tap that vein to the motherload with a couple of the most simple yet most righteous vocal licks (not even words just ooh ahh kinda thing) it was, again, wonderful and at the same time i'm still getting over the fact that keith was playing about 6 feet in front of me as he was continually coming up to the edge of the stage

you've seen the set list posted above so i won't repeat it...sound wise, well i was on keith's side and he was loud on stage so it was difficult to make out ronnie's lines - K & R used a variety of guitars and keith was geeting some great sounds out of the semi- acoustic gibson - chuck, thank god, was not obtrusive

keith played honky tonk women with-out a guitar pick - that was some of his best playing of the night

in "dead flowers" keith went to do the backing vox (yes!!) - but his mike wasn't set up!! (the best crews in the world and they still have mistakes as big and obvious as that - you gotta love 'em) - keith turned around and gave a roadie a blast who soon materialized with a mic. and stand

blondie chaplin??? what's up with him???...he has a good gig i'll say that much...plays the world with the stones doing nothing more than few shakes of a tambourine and a couple of chords on satisfaction - nice work if you can get it!!

the smell of dope wafted throught the air at one stage - not surprising you might say - well it was because it wasn't someone in the audience smoking - it was keith - one of his marlboros had been "doctored"

band intro - when mick announced chuck -i thought of you guys and went "booo" - not too loud but fmk heard me (so i guess a few others might have)- how we laughed

then came keith's set - and he went into "slipping away" taking off his guitar after playing the introductory riff -he sang it beautifully, his voice showed the strains of the life he's lived but he put his heart and soul into it -when he finished he ran to end of the catwalk and gave a slap of the palms to the dudes there - i was up the stage end of the walk and as he came back i called "keith!!" and extended my hand - he was almost past me but he retraced his movement enough to give me five - it was a hard steely slap - i was...well...i start running out of words here...

keith then introduced the next song "in keeping with the night" he said - "happy" - when he finished it he tossed his pick in the air - virtually over his shoulder - and it flew gracefully towards me - i reached up and grabbed it clean - one take - what more can i say - how do you think i felt?? - how should i feel?? - i have one of keith's guitar picks - i feel good about it but ultimately one could say "so what" and isn't it all a bit pathetic that such a thing could be important to someone??...what do you think?? - on balance 'tho i'd rather have it than not

after that he came up the walk right next to me and says off mike "here's another one" and launched into the next tune

from there on it was all just bliss - just being there in that place and time

the soul bracket was way way cool - 'tho there would later be complaints!!?? that they "played too many covers" ...well i'm not one of them - those tunes are what the soul of this band is all about and if you don't get that well then you're not really getting the meessage (imo)

i know many of you are fans but i've never been real big on AC/DC - so the young brothers thing didn't really do much at all for me but there you go...

with satisfaction the show was over and with it the end of a dream - not only had i seen the stones but i was front and centre at a venue from "the old days" - a theatre gig -it was just like 1965 all over again...

well i could run through all the songs and stuff and if you've got any questions i'd be glad to answer them but i'm at the stage where i'm just going to be repeating superlatives until they become meaningless

after the show the street is full and we go to the pub up the road and we all party on into the night...about three or four in the morning my friend and i went down the street for a smoke and we then walked around the back streets of newtown still buzzing from the whole thing 'til we came across some abandoned furniture lying in the street - so i lay down on this beat up old couch staring up into the sydney sky with "going to a go go" running through my head - and why not?? - there was nothing else to do and nowhere else to go that could possibly top what we had just witnessed...after a while the sky started turning the colour it is on the inside sleeve of "black and blue" and so we got up and walked to the station to get a train back in to the city... where we walked out of town hall station and down george street in a light,warm early-morning rain and i was feeling sanctified...

there's still more to tell - it was without doubt the most amazing experience of my life so far- but i've got to go and see if i can organize a ticket for saturday...

and i haven't gone into great depths musically because it wasn't all about what songs they played or who played well and who didn't - it was all about us all being there with the band so close and just simply celebrating their existence - they say you can't always get what you want and that's probably true but it doesn't mean that you can't get it sometimes and on tuesday night at the enmore theatre i got mine...

All photos by Stoned in Australia, inserted by me, not necessarily in the set order or according to the text, anyway so fucking great review and pix!!

02-20-03 09:43 PM
Boomhauer Good to see you're having a good time, SIA!!!!

Keep a rockin'!
02-20-03 10:48 PM
stonedinaustralia thanks boomer

i should also mention this:

when mick introduced charlie - the audience went into a chant of "CHAR-LIE - CHAR-LIE" it seemed to go on and on but it was probably for about 30 seconds or so - also when they left the stage charlie was the last to leave and just before he did he turned to the audience one last time to give us all an appreciative nod of the head...

Page: 1 2 3 4

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST