ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

South Kensington, June 28, 1967
Kent Gavin - The Daily Mirror
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Robert Johnson's grave costly......... Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-27-04 10:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Bluesman's grave costly to church

GREENWOOD, Miss. -- Little Zion Missionary Baptist Church finds it a blessing and a curse that one of the world's most popular blues musicians is buried in its cemetery.

Hundreds visit the cemetery each year, most to see the grave of bluesman Robert Johnson. With the traffic comes $1,000 a month in cleanup costs for the 90-member church.

Fans leave everything from pennies to drugs at the grave, said Sylvester Hoover, a deacon at Little Zion. Beer cans and liquor bottles are strewn about.

Johnson died in 1938. His grave was unmarked until 2000 when a gravedigger's wife verified Johnson's final resting place. A tombstone was installed in 2001.

Johnson died poor, but his music was discovered by later generations of musicians, including Eric Clapton and the Rolling Stones, who made his work known internationally.

Chicago Tribune

02-27-04 10:45 AM
nankerphelge $1000 per month to clean up some bottles and pennies?

We're talking a parish full of idiots!

Oh evil demons of stupidity - COME OUT!!!!!

02-27-04 10:50 AM
jb [quote]nankerphelge wrote:
$1000 per month to clean up some bottles and pennies?

Oh evil demons of stupidity - COME OUT!!!!!
02-27-04 10:54 AM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:

Your honor, I must protest this artificial padding of JB's total posts tally!! Move to have all blank responses stricken from the record!!
02-27-04 11:04 AM
jb
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Your honor, I must protest this artificial padding of JB's total posts tally!! Move to have all blank responses stricken from the record!!

FPM C10-You seem like a very nice guy...sorry we never met, as you kind of understand me.
02-27-04 11:09 AM
Joey " FPM C10-You seem like a very nice guy...sorry we never met, as you kind of understand me. "

Fleabit is one of the smartest individuals that I have ever had the distinct pleasure of meeting ( see Cleveland , 2001 ) . He looks like a cross between Paul Williams , Warren Zevon , Walter Becker and SDH !!!!! .............................but I digress !!!!!!!!

Why Fleabit has less than one thousand posts nobody quite understands . It is one of life's untapped mysteries .

" Go Bill Murray Sunday Evening Ronnie ! "

Jersee Joe !
02-27-04 11:14 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Joey wrote:
" FPM C10-You seem like a very nice guy...sorry we never met, as you kind of understand me. "

Fleabit is one of the smartest individuals that I have ever had the distinct pleasure of meeting ( see Cleveland , 2001 ) . He looks like a cross between Paul Williams , Warren Zevon , Walter Becker and SDH !!!!! .............................but I digress !!!!!!!!

Why Fleabit has less than one thousand posts nobody quite understands . It is one of life's untapped mysteries .

" Go Bill Murray Sunday Evening Ronnie ! "

Jersee Joe !

02-27-04 11:15 AM
FPM C10
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

02-27-04 11:16 AM
FPM C10
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Now, just 220 more of these...
02-27-04 11:17 AM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Lost In Translation Bites HARD !!!!!!

" The movie that wins the Academy Award for Best Picture reflects the social mood of the country and is a great indicator of who will win the Presidential Election this year Ronnie ! "

M. Jackyfly !

02-27-04 12:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
$1000 per month to clean up some bottles and pennies?

Hmmmmmm. Have you ever worked for the "parks department"? LOL. I did for a couple of summers back in the late 80's. That's only 250.00 a week. I can believe it. Almost every week we had to replant tombstones besides the clean the trash, mow etc, replace tramped flowers and so forth. Alot of strange birds frequent cemetaries.
02-27-04 12:12 PM
jb It cost us over 1500 dollars to put a tree over my sisters grave....the "dying" business is very expensive and profitable...
02-27-04 12:21 PM
telecaster There are a bunch of famous, really famous "bluesman" buried on the southwest side of Chicago in Worth, IL

You would think one of their 3000 kids would provide a decent headstone

But they don't

02-27-04 12:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
It cost us over 1500 dollars to put a tree over my sisters grave....the "dying" business is very expensive and profitable...

Yeah it is. But if I had the werewithall, they could give me the remains and I'd build a Taj Mahal. I don't think his family would go for that though. His "monument" is there in the music forever.
02-27-04 12:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
telecaster wrote:
There are a bunch of famous, really famous "bluesman" buried on the southwest side of Chicago in Worth, IL

You would think one of their 3000 kids would provide a decent headstone

But they don't

Wow. I believe it. That's sad.
02-27-04 12:58 PM
Joey

When I die , I have left specific instructions for my family NOT to bury me too deep as in three days I will rise again and raise Hell on all of you fine people .

Word !

Jersee Joe !

02-27-04 01:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:

When I die , I have left specific instructions for my family NOT to bury me too deep as in three days I will rise again and raise Hell on all of you fine people .

Oh no. Remember it's friday night, your Master returns.
02-27-04 01:24 PM
Joey " Oh no. Remember it's friday night, your Master returns. "

Jetty !
02-27-04 01:26 PM
telecaster Friday night?

What are the odds the great, Maxlugar will appear with one his earthshaking, life changing posts?

Dare to dream Ronnie
02-27-04 01:28 PM
Joey " What are the odds the great, Maxlugar will appear with one his earthshaking, life changing posts?

Dare to dream Ronnie "

Earthshaking my Ass ........................

The MaxLugar's previous effort was an aimless , random scrapbook of vague and half-realized musings .

Word !

G!

02-27-04 01:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Friday night?

What are the odds the great, Maxlugar will appear with one his earthshaking, life changing posts?

Well he did last week. Left poor Joey awestuck and grappling.
02-27-04 01:33 PM
Joey " Left poor Joey awestuck and grappling "

You make Joey say , Huh ?!?!?!

www.Hackwriters.com

02-27-04 01:35 PM
telecaster joey. Are you a C10 member?

I was thinking.

The C10 is kinda like the guys on "Bonanza"

Why were there no women on the Ponderosa?

Why was Hop Sing always jittery?

I need answers
02-27-04 01:37 PM
Joey " Why were there no women on the Ponderosa?

Why was Hop Sing always jittery?

I need answers "

I am here to say that not ONE single Brother on the Ponderosa was gay .............................

Thank GOD Hop Sing was !

{ CA - RACK ! }

" It's an old Carson skit Ronnie ! "

Jazzy !

02-27-04 01:39 PM
jb I don't buy that Christian bashing notion at all...Gibson single-handedly stirred this whole anti-semitic thing up in order to generate interest in his movie, which is exactly what has happened.....You have over 2 billion Christians in this world so I hardly feel they are in any danger of persecution ....it is the Jew who is being persecuted all over the world (particularly Europe..France)...Muslims will ultimately be a majority everywhere, including the U.S-that is the real danger...leave the Jew alone...we are the only beacon of hope for your salvation as Christ shall not return unless Israel and the Jewish people are safe...then, and only then, can you kill us.
[Edited by jb]
02-27-04 01:52 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
You have over 2 billion Christians in this world so I hardly feel they are in any danger of persecution ....

Been to China lately? Or the old Soviet empire, or Rome?
Ever read Foxes Book of Martyrs? Or any of Solynetzin's stuff? Anyway, life goes on.
02-27-04 01:54 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Been to China lately? Or the old Soviet empire, or Rome?
Ever read Foxes Book of Martyrs? Or any of Solynetzin's stuff? Anyway, life goes on.

Yes...I have been to China and Russia, and I dare say the Jew(partucularly in the former Soviet Union) is treated litttle better than a homeless dog.....
02-27-04 02:05 PM
telecaster jb. Do you think Patty made Keith go see "The Passion"?

Afterall, she is a Holy Roller Christain
02-27-04 02:07 PM
jb Yes...I'm sure the Richards' clan pulled out the station wagon and headed to the local drive-in for the larger than life version...
02-27-04 02:15 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
telecaster wrote:
jb. Do you think Patty made Keith go see "The Passion"?

Afterall, she is a Holy Roller Christain

LOL. She is? What's the difference between a "Holy Roller" christian and any other kind? Just curious. Maybe that expains the knitting.
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH