ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

South Kensington, June 28, 1967
Kent Gavin - The Daily Mirror
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Great Australian Rock Bands Return to archive
02-23-04 01:07 PM
telecaster You Aussies have put out some great stuff.

Colin Hay was interviewed on a station in Chicago the other day and brought back memories

AC/DC
Men At Work
Air Supply
INXS

that other angry band that wants to give it back to the aborigines

Good job SIA

Good day mate

Put a shrimp on the barbie!
02-23-04 01:31 PM
jb The lead singer was bald, right? They had a hit in the 80's that went something lile "How can we..when the earth is?"
02-23-04 01:32 PM
LadyJane Midnight Oil..wasn't it??

LJ.
02-23-04 01:33 PM
jb Yes! Good call LJ
[Edited by jb]
02-23-04 01:34 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
The lead singer was bald, right? They had a hit in the 80's that went something lile "How can we..when the earth is?"

Something like that. Beds are burning or some shit.
I hate angry bands

jb how could I forget

Olivia Newton John
Kylie Menigoue (Minoue?)
Bee Gees
02-23-04 01:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels AC/DC trumps everything.
02-23-04 03:19 PM
Nasty Habits The freakin' SAINTS.
Radio Birdman
Lime Spiders
The Bad Seeds
The Beasts of Bourbon

Daddy Cool

The New Christs

X

Celebite Rifles

Masters Apprentices
The Missing Links
Chants R & B
The La De Das

The Birthday Party
The Scientists
02-23-04 03:37 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
The Hoodoo Gurus
Jet
The Vines

Just to name a few I didn't already see listed.

If ya'll stopped at AC/DC & INXS...ya missed the boat. Oz spit out some serious good shit.
02-23-04 04:02 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Man. Nasty Habits & Sir Stonesalot....I take your word for it but there just ain't enough time in a day. (But AC/DC does trump everything.)
02-23-04 04:27 PM
BILL PERKS MEN AT WORK RULED...I'VE SEEN COLIN HAY SOLO 5X'S AND HES ONE OF THE MOST UNDERATED SONGWRITERS EVER.
02-23-04 04:35 PM
mac_daddy is there another band called X ??? The only one I know of is the one from Los Angeles (John doe, Exene, Billy Zoom, dj bonebreak)

Hoodoo Gurus!! yeah, baby...

midnight oil put on a great live show...

if you are including men at work and INXS, don't forget sheena easton and Icehouse!

[Edited by mac_daddy]
02-23-04 05:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
if you are including men at work and INXS, don't forget sheena easton and Icehouse!

Hey....I don't mind giving the devil his due but lets not over do it. LOL. Even the British Invasion was an anomaly..
Junior Partners kind of. BUT.....Rock n Roll is an American phenomenon...at least we did something right.
02-23-04 05:13 PM
Joey Here's a few I just thought of :

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
The Hoodoo Gurus
Jet
The Vines

Thank You !

The Joey , Established 1999
02-23-04 05:14 PM
Nasty Habits There certainly are not enough hours in the day, 10,000 Man, but sometimes you find some Shortcuts.

Yeah, mac_daddy, there was an Australian X that was recording at the same time that those hippie punks were burning down Los Angeles. And in terms of their abrasive tendency towards chaos and insanity they kind of make the LA X sound like the Carpenters. Their first album was called Aspirations, and it's a classic of its kind from the late 70s, sounding something like Gang of Four wedded to the Rolling Stones. Their live album from '79 includes a pretty good version of "Not Fade Away" and their "Live at the Stagedoor" album opens with "Paint It Black". Their originals straddle that fine line between social protest and total horniness. Love those guys. Ask SIA about 'em sometime.

And I can't believe that I didn't mention mufahkkin' Rose Tattoo, whose first album is some kind of unholy punk rock/AC/DC alliance that has enough slide guitar to choke a horse, not to mention the Easybeats, whose members produced all the early AC/DC records and who recorded the original version of "Friday on My Mind" you might know from that David Bowie Pin Ups record if not from the original.
02-23-04 06:17 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Hey....I don't mind giving the devil his due but lets not over do it. LOL. Even the British Invasion was an anomaly..
Junior Partners kind of. BUT.....Rock n Roll is an American phenomenon...at least we did something right.

well TTM rock and roll may have originated in the USA - but since about 1962 you'd have to say it's a global phenomenon and the national origin of any band will not dictate whether they are any good or not

glad you guys like the stuff we do over here - we are lucky in a way being so far away from "the scene" of the northern hemisphere - we can either ignore it all together or steal all the good bits from both sides of the atlantic

nasty - i take it you are aware of the conection between Rose Tattoo and X - ian rilen was the origanl bass player for Rose Tattoo and he wrote "bad boy for love"

MacD - nasty is right the Australian X have it all over the LA guys - I'm with Nasty on that one - the Aus. X are right out there

did any one mention "the birthday party" - nick cave's band before the bads seeds - also featured mick harvey - toal anarchy - check out "prayers on fire" and the single "relesae the bats" - the latter being as awseome a piece of rock and roll mayhem as you will ever hear anywhere

02-23-04 09:43 PM
corgi37 Rose Tattoo were a major influence on GNR. Who could forget their set during the GNR show at Calder raceway here in Melb in front of 100,000. It was awesome. Pete Wells unholy distorted slide guitar is simply unreal. They are still touring too!
What about Chain? "Black and blue" is a bona fide blues classic.
Powderfinger are pretty good too. Their last album is almost like a Stones album.
You am I were ok. A bit too retro for my liking. My niece is dating the bass player from that band. They supported the Stones last year in Brissie. The singers all time fave song is Jumping Jack Flash. He's a bit too "mod" for me. Copies Townehend too much.
One of my personal faves has always been Kings of the Sun. Fantastic 80's cock rock. Our version of Aerosmith. I saw them about 8 times. Clifford Hoad is one amazing drummer. Very Keith Moon. Geoff Hoad is an amazing front man. Think Tyler and Lee Roth. The 1st time i saw them was at the Corner Hotel (where i saw jagger solo!!!) and they did a killer version of "Respectable". In all truth, they should have been huge. And, i went to school with their original bass player! He works at a 7-11 or Safeway or something now. I have recently found out from my mate that the brothers have a new project called "Rich and Famous". They are still based on the GOld Coast. I am going up there in April, and hope like hell to seek them out.

What about Cosmic Pyschos. Magic Dirt are not bad. That Adilita is one hot bitch. She's the real deal. Makes Courtney Love look like the widow of a headless man.

Midnight Oil were unreal live, but got so preachy. Garrett just loves a good cause to hang his hat on. Their song "Hercules" is simply a powerhouse tune. Live, it can kill.

I guess the reason we have so many good rock bands, is that our guys learn their chops in pubs and clubs. Very few simply score record deals for no reason (though Jet did pretty well, eh?) and get to make glitzy film clips without earning it. Most slave away in dingy, beer and piss stained pubs, doing it tough. Or earning their name playing biker festivals. If i had a flag, i'd wave it.

Its not all good though. What about Rick Springfield? I tell you, when he was in Zoot, he was pretty cool. Their hard rock version of Elenor Rigby is a revelation. Evidently, Lennon loved it. Holly Valance is an embarressment, though easy on the eye. As is Kylie, though at least she has been up and down and still stuck around. She must get down on her knees and thank God for Gay people every night. Peter Andre? Yuk. Sherbet? blech.

Slim Dusty? Our Johnny Cash?

P.S. Maybe our greatest contribution to rock, is when a little slip of a girl married, and allowed the penis, of 1 Bazil Jagger to penetrate her Aussie haven, thus allowing the amalgamation of sperm and egg, to 9 months later create a boy. That boy was named Michael. You may know him as Mick. You may have heard his little combo around the traps.
02-23-04 09:53 PM
mac_daddy just found this

Hoodoo Gurus
October 07 1989
Hagadals Sportcentrum,
Hultsfred,
Sweden

Taped by: Patrik Andersson
Source: Sony ECM 929 LT > Sony WM D6c
Conversion: Tascam 112 > Soundblaster Live 5:1 > CDR > EAC > SHN
Editing: CD Wave editor track split

01. Intro
02. Axegrinder
03. Another World
04. On My Street
05. Death In The Afternoon
06. Death Defying
07. Dig It Up
08. Come Anytime
09. My Girl
10. Generation Gap
11. Hallucination
12. Baby Can Dance
13. All The Way
14. What's My Scene
15. Poison Pen
16. Like Wow-Wipeout
17. ??I Want You, I Need You??
18. Bittersweet
19. Arthur
20. Kamikaze

Notes: about 10 secs missing in t13 All The Way due to tapeflip.

Quality: v. good/excellent audience recording
02-23-04 09:58 PM
glencar INXS is sorely missed.
02-23-04 10:09 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
glencar wrote:
INXS is sorely missed.

by whom..?
02-23-04 10:10 PM
Sir Stonesalot The first thing I heard from the Hoodoos was the single "Mars Needs Guitars". "I'm a stone age romeo/I got a space age juliette/we'll take guitars to mars/on a red hot rocketship". I then went out and bought everything I could find. My fave is the compilation of singles. Those guys write some catchy fucking guitar rock songs. Hmmmm...in fact, I'm gonna slap those singles into the walkman right damn now....
02-23-04 10:11 PM
glencar By me Macdaddy. They made some good records. Yes, they petered out before the big suicide/whatever-it-was event but they did some nice stuff for awhile.
02-23-04 10:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh I almost forgot...Sheena Easton is Scottish.
02-23-04 10:18 PM
mac_daddy mars needs guitars is the sh*t...

oh, glencar, I'm just f*cking with ya. that band never did that much for me, although I thought the "the Swing" and "Listen Like Thieves" were pretty good when I was in junior high...

how about Silverchair..? those kids would kick the Hansons' collective ass anyday.
02-23-04 10:19 PM
glencar Silverchair never followed up.
02-24-04 09:28 AM
Lil Brian the Go-Betweens
02-25-04 10:58 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
well TTM rock and roll may have originated in the USA - but since about 1962 you'd have to say it's a global phenomenon and the national origin of any band will not dictate whether they are any good or not

Well, lets just say that we're the engine the rest of you are the car.
02-25-04 05:49 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Well, lets just say that we're the engine the rest of you are the car.

and to follow the analogy one would have to say the engine parts were made on the west coast of africa
02-25-04 06:19 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

and to follow the analogy one would have to say the engine parts were made on the west coast of africa

LOL. Well someone did say once that the blues were born the morning that the coast of west Africa disappeared on the horizon.

BEST VIEWED HIGH