ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

South Kensington, June 28, 1967
Kent Gavin - The Daily Mirror
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Richard Named Britain's Ultimate Pop Star Return to archive
02-23-04 05:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Cliff Richard Named Britain's Ultimate Pop Star

LONDON (Reuters) - Veteran singer Cliff Richard has beaten the Beatles and Elvis Presley to the title of Britain's Ultimate Pop Star as the biggest selling artist.

Channel 4's The Ultimate Pop Star, broadcast on Sunday, said Richard had sold more singles than any other artist in the last 50 years, ahead of the Beatles in second place and Presley in third.

Madonna was in fourth place as the only female to make the top ten. She was followed by Kylie Minogue at number 13 and The Spice Girls at 15.

Elton John was named in fifth place, ahead of Michael Jackson in sixth and Queen in seventh. Swedish group Abba were placed eighth and Paul McCartney made the top ten twice, as a solo artist in ninth position.

David Bowie closed out the top ten.

The program said Richard, the eternally youthful 63-year-old singer with a squeaky-clean image, had sold almost 21 million singles in his career of over 40 years.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
02-23-04 05:54 AM
JumpingKentFlash Cliff is an icky guy.
02-23-04 09:59 AM
Moonisup at what place ended the stones?
02-23-04 12:25 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat #12
02-23-04 12:29 PM
jb Gazza...
02-23-04 12:39 PM
JaggaRichards Cliff who?
Dont make me laugh.
02-23-04 01:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
JaggaRichards wrote:
Cliff who?
Dont make me laugh.

Well Cliff must have sold an awful lot of records in the UK, and Europe because he didn't sell too many this side of the puddle I don't think. The only song of his that I am even remotely familiar with is that "summer holiday" tune. Which I think is pretty good for Cliff as I suspect he spends most of his time "on holiday".
02-23-04 06:11 PM
Gazza he's been making records since 1958. Explains a lot.

Quantity over quality.

Considering the Stones have barely released a single in the UK in the last 20 years, #12 is higher than I'd have thought.
02-23-04 10:14 PM
glencar Dear Lord...
02-24-04 10:37 AM
jb Gazza-I think this speaks for itself.....I hope you understand now why the American fans feel that the Brit loath the Stones.
02-24-04 11:00 AM
Gazza at least it proves we dont love the Beatles THAT much
02-24-04 11:02 AM
glencar I hear in Ireland a poofter named Danny O'Donnell is quite popular especially with the spinster crowd.
02-24-04 11:08 AM
Gazza poofter! LOL..ah dont get me started on Daniel. My mum thinks hes lovely. But then most women in their 60's do.

hey.every country has the sort of market that appeal to women of a certain age. But Christ, we're hardly comparing like with like here. You're talking about a bastardized watered down excuse for country music here. Its hideous.

Daniel is about the most asexual artist of all time. With an accent that would grate cheese. Go to one of his concerts and I guarantee you'll catch menopause.

02-24-04 11:11 AM
jb Gazza, they recently showed a Neil Diamond concert which took place last year in Ireland..It was at an open stadium and it looked to be about 33,760 people attending...a lot of middle aged women and men...it seemed like a great show...did you go?
02-24-04 11:13 AM
Gazza >it looked to be about 33,760 people attending

"about" ?

...a lot of middle aged women and men......did you go?

you cheeky c**t!! I'm younger than YOU are! LOL
02-24-04 11:15 AM
jb But it seemed like a big event there....I mean he played to more people than the Stones...and he was dam good...I love every song from thr "Jazz Singer" album....
02-24-04 11:27 AM
Gazza I figured you might!!

Ireland is pretty big on middle of the road acts and all that pseudo country shit such as Garth Brooks, Shania Twain etc. (I'm sure the US has huge markets for types of music that you dont care for, especially in certain regions. I doubt the Stones could outsell the likes of Gloria Estefan and the like in your home state).

However, theres a huge rock market too and last year was maybe the biggest year ever for concerts - certainly in the south.

I wasnt aware Neil Diamond even played Ireland last year but he does tend to sell very well there. He played to more than the Stones? So what? Most visiting acts did. The Stones chose to play two shows in a small arena, selling out 16,000 tickets in about five minutes despite charging the highest ticket prices ever for a rock concert in the country's history.. They could have sold out a stadium easily had they wanted to, I'm sure.
02-24-04 11:31 AM
jb I just think it's great that a Catholic country would support a jewish performer like Neil....this shows that despite what mel Gigson is doing, many Catholics will offer protection to jews.
02-24-04 11:59 AM
Gazza I presume you're joking!

I somehow wouldnt even imagine that most people in Ireland would have a clue what religion Neil Diamond is. Nor would they care and nor would anyone's religion be a factor in whether they support their music or not. I dont know anyone who thinks like that, regardless of whether they're Protestant OR Catholic.

From my own observations as a tourist, the Republic is also not the bastion of Conservative Catholicism it used to be even twenty years ago. Maybe a few people who actually live there could give you a more accurate analysis but from my own perspective I've certainly noticed it.
02-24-04 12:00 PM
jb Do you use insense?
02-24-04 12:15 PM
Gazza er...wrong "denomination", Josh - do you need to phone a friend?

However, I do get INCENSED every so often!
02-24-04 12:21 PM
Lazy Bones Think he meant to say common sense...
02-24-04 12:55 PM
jb Tonton macoutes...

BEST VIEWED HIGH