ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

South Kensington, June 28, 1967
Kent Gavin - The Daily Mirror
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: what is the band "JET" all about..? Return to archive
02-22-04 09:03 PM
mac_daddy I thought I remember some of you being kind of hot on them...

I came across the source below, and was curious what it was about..

TIA

_____

JET recorded live from "LE CAT", bordeaux 17.02.2004
DAT PORTABLE TCD8+ DPA 4061

1 INTRO cold hard bitch
2 cold hard bitch
3 get what you need
4 ??
5 rollover D.J
6 look what you done
7 lazy gun
8 are you gonna be my girl
9 ??
10 last change
11 get me outta here
12 take it or leave it
13 "new song" acoustic (sing by Chris Cester)
14 move on
15 That's Alright Mama (Elvis cover)
02-22-04 09:04 PM
mac_daddy should have added "NSC" to the title of this thread. I apologize.
02-22-04 09:05 PM
Soul Survivor Jet is a new band with a retro sound. Sound is somewhat along the lines of a mixture of the Stones and AC/DC with a bit of Paul McCartney thrown in. Really good band. Their debut album "Get Born" is wonderful
[Edited by Soul Survivor]
02-22-04 09:09 PM
Daethgod Jet rock !

You can hear em and see em here

http://jetmusic.co.uk/audiovid.php

02-22-04 09:11 PM
Mottrush
Got their break through by supporting the Stones on the Australian leg of the Licks Tour last year!!

Cheers,

Mottrush
02-22-04 09:49 PM
TomL I hear there pretty HOT. We'll see.........
02-23-04 03:54 PM
Sir Stonesalot They remind me more of Badfinger than anything else. While growing up they obviously listened to:

The Beatles, AC/DC, The Faces, Stones, Badfinger

If you like the above bands, you should check out Jet.

The cover of Get Born is very Revolver-ish. The album itself is pretty much just straight up rock & roll with a couple of nice ballads for the ladies. They look like a bunch of scraggly hippies in flares and vintage sport coats and rock Tshirts. Are You Gonna Be My Girl is catchy as hell. This is certainly worth picking up. I saw it at Best Buy recently for $9.99.

I saw them this past summer and they were pretty good. Kings of Leon blew them off the stage though. However, I'd say they have a chance to be a pretty interesting group in a few more years. They are better than the Strokes, IMO.
02-23-04 04:18 PM
mac_daddy haven't listened to the recording I listed above yet, but I will get to it at some point - thanks for the info.
02-23-04 04:19 PM
mac_daddy haven't listened to the recording I listed above yet, but I will get to it at some point - thanks for the info.

02-23-04 04:39 PM
crb69 Good band, they have real potential. Kinda like Ac/Dc and Kula Shaker - not stirred. Cool tunes on "Get Born": Are you gonna be my girl, Move On, Rollover D.J., Cold Hard Bitch. They admit the CD is imature sounding. They are drunken, dirty 22 year olds playin' groovey tunes. The singer recently said they are already successful because they are traveling the USA playin' their music like bands did in the 60's!!!!

Rock On Boyz!
02-23-04 09:56 PM
fmk438j They are touring with the vines and living end. See below.

3/11 - Houston, TX - Engine Room
3/12 - New Orleans, LA - House Of Blues MTV $2 Bill Concert Series with Jet and The Vines
3/13 - Atlanta, GA - Roxy Theatre
3/15 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
3/16 - NYC, NY - Irving Plaza
3/17 - NYC, NY - Irving Plaza
3/19 - Boston, MA - Avalon Ballroom
3/20 - Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
3/22 - Montreal, Canada - Metropolis
3/23 - Toronto, ON - Kool Haus
3/24 - Pontiac, MI - Clutch's Cargo
3/26 - Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre
3/27 - Milwaukee, WI - Rave at the Eagles Club
3/28 - Minneapolis, MN - Quest Club
3/30 - Lawrence, KS - Liberty Hall
3/31 - Omaha, NE - Sokol Auditorium
4/1 - Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre
4/3 - Tempe, AZ - Marquee Theatre
4/4 - Las Vegas, NV - The Joint
4/7 - Los Angeles, CA - Wiltern
4/8 - Los Angeles, CA - Wiltern
4/10 - San Diego, CA - Soma Live
4/11 - San Francisco, CA - Warfield
4/13 - Seattle, WA - Moore Theatre
4/14 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theatre
4/15 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom
02-23-04 10:05 PM
glencar Are they worth seeing, Aussies?
02-23-04 10:20 PM
mac_daddy that's right - the Aussie garage rock tour...

the Wiltern is always a possibility...
02-23-04 10:45 PM
stonedinaustralia i saw them at both the stones shows mi saw in sydney - they were quite nervous at the enmore

look, they rock well enough as some of the tracks on their cd suggest and live they backed it up - a good tight rythym section -

but are they "the next big thing" - well not to my ears but then i'm pretty tough on white bread rock and roll bands

and to you guys that dig the hoodoo gurus, scientists et al i can "name drop" here and say i used to know most of those guys on a personal basis - albeit about 20 years ago - i was playing in bands in the same inner city Sydney scene at the same time they were starting out - those were the days - the "alternative" music scene (of which they were all a part) was a close knit community and mostly everybody knew everybody else - and it was a non-stop 24/7 party fuelled by beer,cheap speed and unemployment benefits
02-23-04 10:48 PM
polksalad69 Checked the cd out of the library. Not bad but they seemed to be trying to sound like too many of the above mentioned bands. Of course I heard the MC5 in 'em too.
02-24-04 08:23 AM
exile I recently went to the BIG DAY OUT actually 4 weeks ago I believe here in Sydney (One day Rock festival) and jet were playing along with The Darkness Dandy Warhol's , The Strokes, The Datsuns also the Hoodoo Gurus and Metallica.

great day..... as I was leaving I fell over and broke my arm
that's another story...

also the fact that as a 31 year old male I felt very old there.

Anyway... Jet were definitely the best of the day in my opinion. They put on a good old fashioned rock and roll show which is what they are a good rock and Roll band..some say Metallica were the best on the day but I have never been a fan so I wouldn't know

People say that Jet are the next best thing? Well if they are still here in 40 years then I guess they were.

I like their music but hate people saying next best thing and all that.

MOST IMPORTANTLY

All I can say is all those years lets say from 1989 to 2000 when rock and roll went "out of fashion" and we had to endure these 'Dance music heads' with the smiley face T shirts and the bottled water .... you couldn't go to a bar with out some "DOOF DOOF" music playing on the juke box...

thank god Rock and Roll is back
02-24-04 12:17 PM
Factory Girl I think I'll check out the Jet tour.

Exile-at 31 years old, you should not feel old anywhere.
02-24-04 01:18 PM
Scot Rocks Would definately recomend Jet, saw them last year and i thought they were great, good rock n' roll and and you can hear a bit of the Stones in them.

02-24-04 01:33 PM
Saint Sway I like JET. Only prob I have with them is that there sound is all over the place. They dont sound like any one band - they sound like half a dozen bands. So I have no real feeling about what their sound is

I like retro sounding bands bc I'm into classic rock. And I like bands that wear their influences on their sleeves. But with Jet its like - thats the AC/DC song - this ones BTO's TCB - that one sounds like Iggys "lust for life" - one Wings song - Stones ballad or two etc

to me, they're just a really cool cover band. And its just all over the place. They even knicked Motely Crues piano intro to "Home Sweet Home" - whats with that??

if your gonna cop a band just pick one and stick with it

that said, I'm still gonna check em out when they come to NY. Still hopin for any kind of new R&R band to emerge that can kick some ass. Maybe JET has some potential...
02-24-04 04:55 PM
Soul Survivor But then again, 'Get Born' is only their first release. Who knows what could come next
02-25-04 03:24 PM
FPM C10 Well, since everybody's singing their praises, let me offer a dissenting (as usual) opinion:

"Are You Gonna Be My Girl" is just Iggy's "Lust For Life", except not played as well, and with absolutely insipid lyrics. I would bet that they got the idea for the song after watching a commercial for a cruise line.

I'm just too old and curmudgeonly to like a band just because they play guitars and were never in the cast of "The New Mickey Mouse Club".

"The Vines give me Hives, Ronnie!"
02-26-04 03:19 PM
macawber fpm c10- lol!!! you did my post for me but i'll do it anyway.

i liked the jets hit song[its considered a hit when its used in a t.v. commercial these days,right?]the first time i heard it...when it was called lust for life.
face it- rock and roll is pretty much played out.we started with an ounce and are now scraping the corners of the mirror and grinder.
02-26-04 05:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot I kinda agree with FPM to a point... but I'd much rather have young bands trying to be The Stooges(ie Jet), than trying to be Cinderella(ie The Darkness). So while Jet certainly have some growing up to do, at least they are trying to follow the proper path.

BEST VIEWED HIGH