ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

South Kensington, June 28, 1967
Kent Gavin - The Daily Mirror
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Feb 23 - Johnny Winter turns 60 Return to archive
02-22-04 07:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Happy Birthday Johnny!!!!!!!

I'M A BLUESMAN
Look for Johnny's new CD titled: "I'M A BLUESMAN" to be released mid-May 2004 on Virgin Records. Musicians on "I'M A BLUESMAN" include members of Johnny's current touring band James Montgomery (Harp), Scott Spray (Bass), Wayne June (Drums), along with guitarist Paul Nelson and produced by Dick Shurman and Tom Hambridge. Johnny and his band will be doing some shows on Canada's East coast Feb. 11-15th.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
02-22-04 10:37 PM
glencar He's old!
02-22-04 11:28 PM
sammy davis jr. He's also the WHITEST blues guitarist of all time....but shit, what vibrato that dude has!!
02-23-04 07:25 AM
Factory Girl Happy Birthday, Mr. Johnny Winter! Thanks for the great music! Looking forward to your new cd.
02-23-04 08:35 AM
FPM C10 Yes, happy birthday to the man who made the question "Can a white man sing the blues?" superfluous. Johnny is one of America's greatest living bluesmen, and even the much-acclaimed Li'l Mick can't hold a candle to his slide playing. He makes those Firebirds HOWL.

For me, Johnny will always be a giant for the albums he made with the great Muddy Waters. He put Muddy back on top and made his last act a triumph. God bless him for that.
02-23-04 09:00 AM
Factory Girl Hey FPM, that is a cool Johnny/Muddy picture!
02-23-04 09:57 AM
Moonisup oh yeah, the cd he did with Muddy W is a must have, I normally play it once a week!
02-23-04 10:05 AM
Factory Girl What is the title of Johnny/Muddy cd?
02-23-04 10:33 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
oh yeah, the cd he did with Muddy W is a must have, I normally play it once a week!

Yeah, which one? Hard Again, I'm Ready, King Bee or Muddy Mississippi Waters Live? ALL are essential; the last one I mentioned has been re-released in a remastered, expanded format (it includes a whole other show!), and they plan to do the same to the studio albums.

[Edited by FPM C10]
02-23-04 02:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Any one here ever seen him live? I haven't....yet.
02-23-04 02:39 PM
Factory Girl I saw JW live about 3 years ago. He was in poor health and using a cane. He only played about 45 minutes.
02-23-04 02:57 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well, he's still out playing...a little. I hope he's getting better but I have my doubts. I'll still bet the new record is good though.
02-23-04 03:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Any one here ever seen him live? I haven't....yet.

Well... I saw his shortest show in his entire career, I posted recently about it but here's again (shorter)

Back in 1977 he was booked and scheduled to play at Hacienda de Temixco but the show was cancelled because of permits and licenses, the rescheduled show at Estadio Revoluci�n in Pachuca lasted two songs and was cancelled when Johnny was hit by an angry fan (busted in the first intended show) who threw him a bottle of booze to the stage (not empty I saw the liquid LOL)
02-23-04 03:30 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
...and was cancelled when Johnny was hit by an angry fan (busted in the first intended show) who threw him a bottle of booze to the stage (not empty I saw the liquid LOL)

Yeah. Angry fan? That could of killed or seriously hurt him. Scary. Why? Anyway that "fan" is lucky he wasn't lynched on the spot. I mean we all make mistakes but sometimes one "little" mistake can cost a life. Like the time I fell into a 50 foot pit...with a bunch of rocks at the bottom. Luckily I landed on a small ledge about 8 feet down. I actually stopped drinking for about 2 weeks after that. The guy is lucky he's still alive. His name would be in the same category as Mark Chapman...mud.
02-23-04 04:18 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes Mr. Motels we had a lot of problems because of this incident, next big act was Queen in 1982 in Puebla and Police (I was living in NYC), then Rod Stewart I don't remember when and finally in 1991 the Bob Dylan's great mini tour of Mexico was the kick off of a serious of shows, now Mexico City figures out in almost all tour schedules, many big acts have even started the tour here, now we don't miss too much, but it took 14 years to get our rocks off on an on-going basis!

02-23-04 04:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Feb 23 - Johnny Winter turns 60...

Feb 24 - turns 60...
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
02-23-04 05:22 PM
Moonisup
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Yeah, which one? Hard Again, I'm Ready, King Bee or Muddy Mississippi Waters Live? ALL are essential; the last one I mentioned has been re-released in a remastered, expanded format (it includes a whole other show!), and they plan to do the same to the studio albums.

[Edited by FPM C10]

Well, I can;t look at it right now, but if I find, I'll post the title! It's a compilation I think 10 songs, in GREAT quality, a remaster, everything bright, you'll hear them talk after the songs,

rik
02-23-04 05:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Hey FPM since I know you love my li'l daught4ers modeling for Rocks Off issues here's Emilia with a couple of gems of Muddy with Johnny, taken some minutes ago!

02-23-04 06:12 PM
charlotte Happy Birthday Johnny, saw him in Atlanta with Leon Russell in the late 70's, outstanding performance!!
Highway 61 Johnny Highway 61
02-23-04 06:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Can we name this photograph "Black & White Blues"?

02-23-04 10:20 PM
polksalad69 Happy Birthday to the albeeno bluesman!
02-23-04 10:23 PM
Williedaprinter Hard Again was the album Johnny produced for Muddy Waters.
Happy B'day Guitar Slinger!
02-24-04 08:56 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Williedaprinter wrote:
Hard Again was the album Johnny produced for Muddy Waters.
Happy B'day Guitar Slinger!

Johnny produced ALL of Muddy's stuff on Blue Sky - the four albums I mentioned above.

Trust the ol' Monkey on this one. I knows my Mud.

02-25-04 11:57 AM
beavie I saw Johnny Winter on Feb 13th in London Ontario. He seemed very slow and in not good health. I've seen him a few times before and this was his worst performance. I left after 7 songs. It was sad.
02-25-04 12:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
beavie wrote:
I saw Johnny Winter on Feb 13th in London Ontario. He seemed very slow and in not good health. I've seen him a few times before and this was his worst performance. I left after 7 songs. It was sad.

Well is the glass half full or half empty? Nothing necessarily sad about it. People have a habit of getting old and sick. At least you saw him. I mean it IS sad. The man is a living legend....but he's still walking....and trouping....he ain't going down without a fight.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
02-25-04 05:06 PM
alex_taper Yes it's sad to see such artists exploited by managers-guys in their staff who just want to make money, it is the case I think..
02-26-04 04:05 PM
Factory Girl Alex, it may be the case. But, I also think Johnny needs the money. I don't think he made too much money in his career. I think he recently had (hip) surgery.
02-26-04 04:25 PM
alex_taper You must be right. I think the reason why he looks so old is that he had a life with a lot of excess (drugs and alcohol). He used to make 300 concerts by year in the 70's !!
02-28-04 03:06 AM
Riff-Hard-Fan I saw Johnny Winter in concert in St Petersburg Fla in 1974 or 75 ( I think) I don't remember too much about it except that it seems like he was on stage with Edgar Winter?? Would that be possible? or maybe it was Rick Derringer lol Those days are fuzzy LOL But anyway I didn't even know he was still going...... or not going by the sounds of it! Keefffffffffff Riffffffffffff Hardddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST VIEWED HIGH