ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

South Kensington, June 28, 1967
Kent Gavin - The Daily Mirror
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Current State Of The Rolling Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
02-22-04 12:44 PM
Soul Survivor Last night, I put on "Sticky Fingers". After it had played all the way through, for coincidental reasons, I put on "Bridges To Babylon" witch happens to be their latest full studio effort. Well, something wasn't clicking. I knew this wasn't their best work, but coming off of "Fingers" I couldnt help but realize...things will never be the same.

Witch leads me to my point of discussion. I know this has been a raging topic over the course of the past 2 or 3 years or so. But I say the Stones SHOULDN'T make a new studio album. I am willing to bet if they did, the songs would make me sick. I'm sure if they are planning on recording a new album, the songs on "Four Flicks" are a sign of what will be coming. And lets face it, those songs really arent that good.

So as much as I hate to say it, I think it really IS about time the Stones settle down. I mean come on...42 years. That's a really long time to stay in the same band. And over the years they have given us many great memories and songs. But you know, a new studio album....what is it gonna add. The Rolling Stones were a loaded cannon. Now they are a cannon, but the cannon is no longer loaded.

There are 350+ songs available for you to listen to. Do we really need another Rolling Stones album? But this brings me to another "sad realism"....do we really need another tour? The tours have been great. And the Licks tour was superb. But, what is the point of another tour? Personally, I don't need a repeat of a past Stones tour. They have pretty much given us all of the suprises they have to offer. Plus, I think the instrument playing and sound has lost its "balls"...

Keith once said he would perform until he died. Witch is good. More power to him. But he doesn't have to perform as a Rolling Stone. They have already produced the best music a long time ago. If Keith still wants to perform, I think he should work as a solo artist. It would be much more interesting, and I truly think some good rock songs could come out of it. I really don't think Charlier would mind if the Stones split, as he always has his Jazz to go to. Ronnie could do some solo work. And Mick....well, I actually think Mick would have the hardest time letting go. I mean he's got that front man status, and he knows all of his money lies with the Rolling Stones.

So, I don't know what is going to happen. I don't know what their future plans are. But, 1962 - 2004...that's a long time. And it has been a long road...but all good things have to come to an end.
02-22-04 12:46 PM
glencar I look forward to another album from the Stones. If it isn't another SF, what of it? It'll still be better than most other records out there.
02-22-04 01:34 PM
Gazza Absolutely correct. A "just ok" Stones album is still better than 95% of the shite out there.

>I'm sure if they are planning on recording a new album, the songs on "Four Flicks" are a sign of what will be coming. And lets face it, those songs really arent that good.

they werent "songs"! They were "jams"! Loose ones at that. Without any discernible lyrics. Think about it - do you REALLY think the Stones would release stuff like this on a Rolling Stones album? Come off it.

Listen to ANY tape of studio outtakes of any session throughout the Stones history. The vast majority of it is stuff not worthy of release, even the rough takes/outtakes of songs that eventually were finished and released. All these 2 songs were were a filmed version of the Stones farting about before they actually got down to the proper business of working on proper songs. Theres plenty of audio evidence of similar stuff from even the band's so called "golden" period. They didnt just walk into the studio and "hey presto!" have a definitive take of "Gimme Shelter" ready to go every session.
02-22-04 01:48 PM
Monkey Woman Same here! Those jams on FF are nice as bonus tracks, but nowhere near finished songs. Maybe they are seeds for songs, but then a lot more work has to be done! The comparison with bootleg outtakes makes that clear. Let's listen at the famous Voodoo Brew, for instance, to quote a relatively recent period.
02-22-04 02:57 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat They should do a blues album.
02-22-04 03:11 PM
IanBillen
I really want to see what kind of Album they put out now.

Steel wheels=Poppy 1989, trying to get into the swing of it again. A fast made album to go with a huge extravaganza of a tour. A come-back peice just to say they did the studio thing.

Voodoo Lounge=Lots of time taken. Excellent production and song craft. Lots of classic Rolling stones style in there.
Great album.

Bridges=Lets try the contemporary thing mixed into The Rolling Stones Base. Let's try to change the way songs go a little and add a strange twist to it all. We do not want a standard Stones album this time out.

(As for Forty Licks new stuff....we'll you can't really count that. They originally figured they would only be there a few weeks. It turned out to be a month. They knew they weren't making an album but rather just wanted to sqeeze out a few tracks to make everyone happy on Forty Licks. It wasn't a studio effort but rather was a
mini "Fan satisfying" studio outing + a nice start to get things ready for rehersals. It seems it was more of a warm up for rehersals than anything in which some tracks were saved that were well worthy enough for album release but not 110% Rolling Stones Quality) The short Forty Licks studio sessions definately didn't involve the hardworking creativity or thought and time even close to any Stones album ever made before so you can't coun't it.

Now I wonder if, and when what this new studio album will entail?
02-22-04 03:40 PM
Steel Wheels

[quote]Soul Survivor wrote:
But I say the Stones SHOULDN'T make a new studio album. I am willing to bet if they did, the songs would make me sick.

Your level of nausea means little to me and nothing to the Mighty Rolling Stones.
02-22-04 04:50 PM
Bloozehound SS I feel the same way.
I'm not a big fan of their last 4-5 albums myself. I've tried to like them, but they just don't do much for me. Lackluster is the best way I can describe them. Each one of these albums has a few good songs, but the albums as a whole just don't move me like the older albums do. In fact i'd take ER over any of the last 4-5 albums.
As a long time fan, if they called it quits today it wouldn't bother me one iota, but i have a feeling they will release one more album soon.
It's been 7 yrs, so who knows how that has effected their attitudes & songwriting. Last time they took anywhere this amount of time off between albums we got Steel Wheels. Whoopy Do.
VL was a semi-return to form, but i felt B2B was a letdown. And those 4 songs 40 Licks didn't do much to get my hopes up either.
I dunno if they're really trying & giving it 110% effort anymore or not, maybe too much friction between the glimmers and/or they just don't have the chops anymore, but the final product just seems to get weaker and less Stone-sy by the album.
It's just mades my interest in their modern sounds/abilites dwindle.
02-22-04 04:58 PM
Moonisup I agree Soulie!
02-22-04 07:36 PM
Soul Survivor I would rather have people ask them "Why are you quitting?" than ask them "Why don't you quit?"
02-22-04 08:54 PM
West 8 Why on earth would people who are Stones fans post on a Stones website statments like " I hope the Stones don't put out another album. Is it me?
02-22-04 10:22 PM
ResidentMule what's wrong with Bridges to Babylon?

and what's with this "What's the point of another tour?"
what's the point of rock n roll? i don't see why we have to treat everything they do as them making a statement, isn't it enough that they play good music and make their fans happy?
02-22-04 10:23 PM
ResidentMule I would rather have people ask them "Why are you quitting?" than ask them "Why don't you quit?"

haha - that's funny, I think the last tiem I heard somebody say that, it was a guy form KISS
02-22-04 10:35 PM
glencar People have been asking why they don't quit since the early 80's. Had they quit then, I'd have only gotten one concert under my belt & we'd have had 5 fewer studio albums of middling to near-great quality. And I must echo the question of why one would still bother being a fan if one would like them to quit. If they do release a new album, will you buy it?
02-22-04 10:43 PM
Steel Wheels I await any new note or lyric from the Stones. I come to this board to spread the love and joy the Stones have given me. The Stones really are the most important musical force these days, quantity or quality aside.

I know I can't strum better than Keef, sing better than Mick, fire off leads like Ronnie, and I certainly can't sound as imposing and ferocious as Charlie.

I gave up critical analysis. I just sing along, dance, and keep on having fun!
02-22-04 11:39 PM
Bloozehound Glencar said...
"If they do release a new album, will you buy it?"
Depends on if it's good. Honestly i probably will, just like most everyone else that posts here will. And i'll probably listen to it 2 times, shelf it and forget about it like i have the last 5 records. I give you that new Stones is probably better then most the junk out there, but it's just doesn't set the world on fire for me

Steel Wheels said...
"I gave up critical analysis. I just sing along, dance, and keep on having fun!"
Exactly, and I will too, like a drunken monkey, at one of their concerts off the next tour, rockin' out to classics like Honky Tonk Women, JJF, Angie, Midnight Rambler ect...for the gazzilionth time in my live.

02-23-04 02:13 AM
IanBillen
Why would I not want the boys to put out another album. They are still quite capable of making music as good as basically anyone that is real out there. I almost demand a damn album at this point...lol It has been 7 Fuckin years since their last studio effort. We know it is time and hopefully they do also. As far as them making an album like Sticky Fingers or Exile again.....why would they? They look different, sound different, and the better of the musical recording equipment used today is different, and music is different.
FOR EXAMPLE:
Try and imagine the Stones putting out "Their Satanic Majesties Request" all over instead of Some Girls in 1978...it would of been the stupidest thing anybody would of ever thought of for 1978.
OR:
Try and imagine the Stones trying to put out Let it Bleed in place of Undercover of the Night in 1983-84. This music was great but in no way, shape, or forum did it fit into 1983-84 and would of looked and seemed so out of place.
BOTTUM LINE:
1. You Stones are always going to be the Stones and they will never want to change that too much entirely.
2. Times are different and so are they. You can not totaly try and replicate a late sixties or even 70's sounding album entirely. That's silly and anyone who knows music will tell you so. It just wouldn't work, Physically or
Financially.
3. I look forward to hearing new stuff by them. Still writing really good material and sounding real we'll as The Rolling Stones can. Where's the problem?
The Stones are still The Stones and will always have that sound but for petes sake they are not interested in trying to recreate the past....nobody can.
Imagine telling Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonum today in 2004 that they should make another album like Led Zepplin 1 in 1968 to really please everyone.
They couldn't and would not want to sound just as that now.
I appreciate the Stones for being them in concerts, putting on Fantastic performances, and doing quality albums....which I always have. And Yes, you may not like their new stuff that much or think it is up to snuff with their older albums but Voodoo and Bridges are very much albums of high quality and song craft. If somebody eles were doing those albums you would be very impressed. Why not be impressed with them doing it.....eh???
Ian
Ian
02-23-04 02:23 AM
IanBillen
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Why would I not want the boys to put out another album. They are still quite capable of making music as good as basically anyone that is real out there. I almost demand a damn album at this point...lol It has been 7 Fuckin years since their last studio effort. We know it is time and hopefully they do also. As far as them making an album like Sticky Fingers or Exile again.....why would they? They look different, sound different, and the better of the musical recording equipment used today is different, and music is different.
FOR EXAMPLE:
Try and imagine the Stones putting out "Their Satanic Majesties Request" all over instead of Some Girls in 1978...it would of been the stupidest thing anybody would of ever thought of for 1978.
OR:
Try and imagine the Stones trying to put out Let it Bleed in place of Undercover of the Night in 1983-84. This music was great but in no way, shape, or forum did it fit into 1983-84 and would of looked and seemed so out of place.
BOTTUM LINE:
1. You Stones are always going to be the Stones and they will never want to change that too much entirely.
2. Times are different and so are they. You can not totaly try and replicate a late sixties or even 70's sounding album entirely. That's silly and anyone who knows music will tell you so. It just wouldn't work, Physically or
Financially.
3. I look forward to hearing new stuff by them. Still writing really good material and sounding real we'll as The Rolling Stones can. Where's the problem?
The Stones are still The Stones and will always have that sound but for petes sake they are not interested in trying to recreate the past....nobody can.
Imagine telling Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonum today in 2004 that they should make another album like Led Zepplin 1 in 1968 to really please everyone.
They couldn't and would not want to sound just as that now.
I appreciate the Stones for being them in concerts, putting on Fantastic performances, and doing quality albums....which I always have. And Yes, you may not like their new stuff that much or think it is up to snuff with their older albums but Voodoo and Bridges are very much albums of high quality and song craft. If somebody eles were doing those albums you would be very impressed. Why not be impressed with them doing it.....eh???
Ian
Ian

Oh yeah, I realiaze John Bonum is dead and Led Zepplin are non existant today. Once again you just can't recreate the past. You do not want to stray to far from your roots or basic sound but that was then, and this is now. I take it for what it is.
Ian

02-23-04 03:12 AM
Riff-Hard-Fan In My opinion...Not that anyone really cares... if your a true fan of something, whatever it is or whoever they are, you stick with them Thru n Thru no matter what goes down with them or how popular they are with anybody else. The Stones are the Kings of Rock n Roll and always will be! Do you quit supporting a Sports Team just because they might not be the Big winners???Nooooo .......Keef Im your Lover baby Thruuu n Thruuuuuu...................RHF
02-23-04 04:13 AM
Bloozehound The more I think about it, i'll only buy the next album if it's good.
No reason to support these guys anylonger if they're not making music that appeals to me.
Money talks, bs walks.
02-23-04 05:18 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies The Stones will record and perform as long as they're alive. What better way for a musician to cash in the chips then while on tour or while creating music in the studio? Even if there is only 3 people in the audience listening or even if no record label will give them a contract, play on. Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage! Rage! against the dying of a light. A little poetry there.

The Stones should go solo????????????!!!!!!!!!!! Are there actually fans out there who prefer the solo efforts over the band releases? Surely you jest. Pop Richard's first solo CD in after Sticky Fingers. Boy! that's a real step up musically. I'll take the Voodoo outtakes anyday over all the solo CDs added together. In my opinion the outtakes are often better anyways then the released mixes. They rock harder. The band really needs a better producer or no producer at all. But I digress. Maybe they should look into hireing Don Cleveland. The only producer in the business that didn't make Ford Fairlane feel like vomiting dayglo.
02-23-04 05:27 AM
JumpingKentFlash You DON'T want a new album. Shame on you.
02-23-04 11:57 AM
Ronnie B. Wood who dont want new stones album he should DIE!
last 5 stones albums bad???????
Undercover BAD? VOODOO LOUNGE BAD???? Are you some kind of alien?
VOODOO is one of the greatest stones album ever!
Undercover is exellent too...
Bridges is very very good...
Steel Wheels is exellent...

And Forty Licks, song Dont Stop, its true Stones song and its great, others 3 new are very very good....
02-23-04 05:54 PM
Riff-Hard-Fan I agree totally Ronnie! Isn't this a Stones site????? MMM I thought it was!
02-23-04 06:27 PM
Gazza Its that lazy time between tours and with no sign of band activity, we have too much time on our hands, I think.

I dont see any reason why the next Stones album shouldnt be good. BTB was IMO the best Stones album since Some Girls, with only Tattoo You putting up a serious argument for that title. Voodoo Lounge was very good too. They also havent put out an album for 7 years so I'd like to think there are a good stockpile of songs - even though the 4 ones on "40 Licks" were hardly essential.

They mightnt have had much inspiration or inclination to record an album in recent years but to suggest they should never make another one is ludicrous.

Theres a lot of bands out there who should never get near a recording contract nor be allowed within 100 miles of a recording studio. The Stones arent one of them.

When they eventually DO put one out, stop comparing what its like to Sticky Fingers or Exile. Its a different era, and theyre different people than they were then. What is a band who have released some of the greatest music ever supposed to do. Quit as soon as they make their best record? If thats the case theyd never have made Exile anyway, as it got panned when it came out.

Try comparing it instead to what else is out there and ask yourself is there many other acts who you'd rather listen to release a new album. I dont think there will be too many.

They might not make as great music as they did 30 years ago, but who cares? I bet that its still better than 99.9% of the shit out there who are only pseudo-Stones bands anyway
02-23-04 07:00 PM
Soul Survivor Hah....

Wow people had you going didnt I? Let's just say my unique way of causing a bit of controversy.

See, my initial thought was to start a thread about a Keith solo record because I do want one, but I thought that was so too simple. So...this came because I wanted to see peoples panties get all up in a bundle.

Of course I would like a new stones album. They can still rock out, and I know if Mick and Keith had the motivation they could come up with something great
02-23-04 07:12 PM
Gazza Ooooooooooh you little tease, you....
02-23-04 07:14 PM
Soul Survivor ha, i know it was childish and kind of pointless. but hey, there it is
02-23-04 09:14 PM
corgi37 I had my little Aussie fingers all ready to blast the shit out of you, you cheeky devil! I am desperate for a new cd. So long as the next album doesnt sound like Jagger's Goddess, with a bit of Keith roughness. And i want Keith to sing a fast song. No more bloody ballads, consarn it.
02-23-04 10:09 PM
glencar From Riff-hard-fan: "Do you quit supporting a Sports Team just because they might not be the Big winners???Nooooo ......"

This person MUST be a Bosox fan!
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH