ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

South Kensington, June 28, 1967
Kent Gavin - The Daily Mirror
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best of the stones???? Return to archive
02-21-04 12:02 PM
celtic stone What are the five best stones shows out there?
My top five would be these

1. Hansome Girls

2. Rocks Off

3. Get your leeds Lungs Out

4. Double Door 97

5. Shepards Bush 99

cd1 of Handsome Girls is just amazing in particular. They were on fire that night. Amazing stuff.

If there are any better shows please list them here,thanks.
02-21-04 12:03 PM
glencar You need one from the sloppy but exquisite '81 tour.
02-21-04 12:06 PM
celtic stone Glencar, check your PM's, I sent you a PM earlier today.
02-21-04 12:07 PM
glencar Checking...
02-21-04 12:09 PM
glencar Okay, I just responded.
02-21-04 12:15 PM
celtic stone Check your pms again, Glencar.
02-21-04 12:16 PM
Scottfree Warshington DC 81, whewwww CD- Time is on our side
Love you live, side 2
Tokyo 89
Where ever they did the stuff on Stripped Comp (amazin)94-95
Brussels 72
A few parts of 97 St Louis

I still have yet to hear Handsome Birds.....I need to find it somewhere......
02-21-04 01:03 PM
glencar Matt, I responded to your PM. I'll email you in a sec.
02-21-04 01:49 PM
T&A Shepherd's Bush? Are you kidding me? Aside from the nice oddball songs that were tossed in there, this rates as one of their WORST performances. Truly dreadful playing throughout - it was clear that they needed a break from the road, which they were about to get.

The same also applies to the Double Door gig, which like all warmup shows is great fun, but usually very ragged. The soundboard of this particular show clearly points out that the '97 tour would take awhile to 'gel.' Definitely not one of their finest shows by a longshot...
[Edited by T&A]
[Edited by T&A]
02-21-04 02:25 PM
Fiji Joe Hampton '81...and I don't care what people say about me
02-21-04 06:16 PM
BILL PERKS AMEN FIJI,MY FAV SHOW EVER!!!RUDE,RUDE,RUDE..I WISH I WERE NUDE!
02-21-04 07:29 PM
glencar Have they ever performed well in London?
02-21-04 08:05 PM
kahoosier Strange, I must be kind of Goofy, other than Anybody Seen My Baby, I really like the Double Door Gig. It is a little ragged, but isn't That also the best things going for the '81 and '78 tours? I mean we praise the fire that burnt B4 the Vegas shows, and for me, the Double Door Gig is one of the last sparks.
02-21-04 10:52 PM
JaggaRichards I love the Double Door show!
Especially 'Shame, Shame, Shame'!
02-22-04 12:32 PM
Gazza >Have they ever performed well in London?

good point, because Hyde park'69 and earls court'76 were pretty awful shows.

I think watching the Twickenham portion of Four Flicks should answer that. That was as good a stadium show as I've ever seen them do. Recommend you also check out Brixton 1995. In fact all 3 Wembley shows the week before were terrific too.

but I dont think the Stones play many poor shows anywhere. Not to my ears. I've seen them in London 13 times since 1990 and most have been as good as anywhere else I've seen them. I dont think London audiences are as good as other cities though, although thats the same with many major cities. they get so many big shows there they get blase. Most provincial cities in the UK have better audiences than London.

I dont agree about Shepherds Bush '99. I was there and thought they were terrific. I also thought the first wembley show a few days later was excellent too, although they sounded knackered the following night.

I also enjoyed all 5 shows I saw in London last year. (I only missed the final rescheduled show at Twickenham as making a third trip to London in the space of 4 weeks in addition to trips to Glasgow and Dublin was stretching it)

The Astoria show was terrific. Regardless of what some people on various boards have said about it (generally making 'observations' such as Mick losing his voice which simply didnt happen). However the Wembley show on 29th August was the greatest Stones concert of the 13 that I saw on the Licks tour and possibly the best of the 34 I've seen to date. I dont expect to ever see them that good again.

02-22-04 12:35 PM
Gazza >If there are any better shows please list them here,thanks.

Most of the top bootlegs that people talk about such as "handsome girls" and "brussels affair" etc. come from more than one show.

Tokyo 26.2.90 is IMO the best Stones show of the last thirty years. Certainly the best in the "Ron Wood" era of the band.
02-23-04 10:41 PM
polksalad69 gonna have to listen to the Double Door show again. I remember it being ragged as was mentioned. They seemed out of tune but hey I can always give it another spin.
02-24-04 10:19 AM
Zack Welcome to Australia, Sydney 2-27-73! Surprised the SBs from this tour were not mentioned yet.
02-25-04 10:10 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Altamont....if only because of the historical impact.
02-25-04 10:28 AM
Phog I love the soundboards from Austrailia '73. Sydney, Perth...mighty good shit.

BEST VIEWED HIGH